Are You A Member Of The NRA...?

Are you a member of the NRA...?

• Total voters
No...Wayne LaPierre is a wuss.

I'm a GOA member.

lol... I gotta disagree... Wayne LaPierre isn't a wuss... he's a loud-mouthed jerk...

and an embarrassment to this long-time NRA member...
Yeah, well he let Tim Russert manhandle him one Sunday morning...He looked like the utter contemptible boob that he is.

Larry Pratt has both brains and cajones.

I am a gun owner, but I have absolutely no interest in joining the NRA or any other gun-oriented organization.

the NRA and other such organizations are ostensibly there to protect your right to own that gun...

so I'm curious to know the reasons behind your antipathy...

I'm a member, have been for almost three decades. I don't really pay much attention to who runs it. I know that they don't support Democrats, so what's the beef?

actually, they do support Democrats who support gun owners' rights...

the latest issue of their magazine gave props to several Democratic governors and legislators who worked to pass pro-gun legislation...

and I seem to recall that they commended Harry Reid a coupla years ago for something he did...

but, yeah... they do definitely have it in for Obama...

I'm a member, have been for almost three decades. I don't really pay much attention to who runs it. I know that they don't support Democrats, so what's the beef?

Actually, they were big supporters of Harry Reid for many, many years.

actually, they do support Democrats who support gun owners' rights...

the latest issue of their magazine gave props to several Democratic governors and legislators who worked to pass pro-gun legislation...

and I seem to recall that they commended Harry Reid a coupla years ago for something he did...

but, yeah... they do definitely have it in for Obama...

Here are two excerpts from this article: NRA to Harry Reid: Get lost « Hot Air

The NRA sent out a letter to its members in July 2009 praising Reid’s stand on gun rights as Senator, leading some to wonder whether the group would eventually endorse Reid in his re-election campaign. The NRA asked its members to call Reid’s offices and thank him for, among other actions, the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act in 2005 that put the kibosh on a planned wave of lawsuits against gun manufacturers, and his opposition to Eric Holder’s statement that the DoJ would seek reinstatement of the “assault weapons” ban. A year later, NRA Political Victory Fund chair Chris Cox floated the idea of endorsing Reid, saying that having anti-gun Senator Chuck Schumer as head of the Senate would be potentially disastrous for gun owners.

The vote on Elena Kagan’s confirmation to the Court, along with the previous year’s confirmation vote on Sonia Sotomayor, are critical for the future of the Second Amendment. After careful consideration, the NRA-PVF announced today that it will not be endorsing Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid for re-election in the 2010 U.S. Senate race in Nevada.

Lifetime Entitlement member...but I'm not always thrilled at the sometimes lackluster approach the NRA takes. That's why I'm also a GOA member and the JPFO. Both are serious about the 2nd amendment and not afraid to speak the truth....the 2nd Amendment is NOT about duck hunting.

No, I support the exercise of 2nd Amendment rights, though I wish many gun owners cared about the REST of the Constitution. I have have personal reason for loathing all firearms.

...though I wish many gun owners cared about the REST of the Constitution.

Interesting. Personally, I've never met a 2A supporter that didn't embrace the entire bill of rights. In fact, I'd say the majority (guessing here) would call themselves strict Constitutionalists. That is certainly my personal view. Perhaps you have a different idea than I as to what caring about the whole Constitution means.

Interesting. Personally, I've never met a 2A supporter that didn't embrace the entire bill of rights. In fact, I'd say the majority (guessing here) would call themselves strict Constitutionalists. That is certainly my personal view. Perhaps you have a different idea than I as to what caring about the whole Constitution means.

I see more on gun rights than any of the rest of the Bill; guns; like driving, certain foods alcohol, and prescription drugs, are inherently dangerous. I would be happy to never see another one.

... are inherently dangerous. I would be happy to never see another one.

seeing one in public display at any gathering should remain as the Old West left it: Outlawed.

I see more on gun rights than any of the rest of the Bill; guns; like driving, certain foods alcohol, and prescription drugs, are inherently dangerous. I would be happy to never see another one.

Quite a bit of talk lately about freedom of speech and religion...maybe more so than the 2nd?

But I'm confused by your response. What does your thinking firearms are inherently dangerous have to do with your concern that too few second amendment supporters care about the rest of the Constitution? I don't see the connection.

I am a gun owner, but I have absolutely no interest in joining the NRA or any other gun-oriented organization.

the NRA and other such organizations are ostensibly there to protect your right to own that gun...

so I'm curious to know the reasons behind your antipathy...
The second amendment is there to protect my right to own the gun. The political agenda of the NRA and other gun-oriented organizations is what I disagree with.

I never believed that citizens should own ammunition that can pierce a bullet proof vest, nor a handgun that can make it past a metal detector. I never have believed their rhetoric about Democrats yearning to take away guns from citizens. I don't believe that citizens should carry concealed weapons because the citizenry is not responsibly trained to do that.

I gave up on the NRA after being unable to get them to stop sending me stuff or calling me with recorded messages, all asking for more money. Told them it stops or I stop being a member. I stopped and they eventually did too.

I was junior NRA member when I was a kid.

It was fun.

They showed us how to handle firearms and let us shoot some big ol guns, too.

More importantly, they fed us some terrrific snacks.

Forum List

Back