Are we becoming a pillar of salt?

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
Salt, sodium chloride, is a necessary electrolyte in our bodies. The current recommended daily intake needed to maintain health is 2300 milligrams, or about a teaspoon of ordinary salt for the average person.

However, it is well established that we consume nearly twice the needed amount. So where does the excess salt go. The kidneys excrete excess salt but only in a certain concentration, beyond which damage to the kidneys will occur. Therefore, the excess sodium has to go somewhere and here's where the problems occur. Excess salt is stored everywhere in the body where it interferes with the normal function of just about everything, which results in many health problems. Analysis of human ash (after cremation) reveals sodium/chloride content of 2 %. This translates to 3 pounds of sodium/chloride in the body of a 150 pound person. This comports with the sodium chloride content of a living person as well, slightly over 1 pound for a 143 pound person.

The takeaway, take salt reduction seriously.

Salt, sodium chloride, is a necessary electrolyte in our bodies. The current recommended daily intake needed to maintain health is 2300 milligrams, or about a teaspoon of ordinary salt for the average person.

However, it is well established that we consume nearly twice the needed amount. So where does the excess salt go. The kidneys excrete excess salt but only in a certain concentration, beyond which damage to the kidneys will occur. Therefore, the excess sodium has to go somewhere and here's where the problems occur. Excess salt is stored everywhere in the body where it interferes with the normal function of just about everything, which results in many health problems. Analysis of human ash (after cremation) reveals sodium/chloride content of 2 %. This translates to 3 pounds of sodium/chloride in the body of a 150 pound person. This comports with the sodium chloride content of a living person as well, slightly over 1 pound for a 143 pound person.

The takeaway, take salt reduction seriously.
Like Lot's wife--DON'T LOOK BACK!

Analysis of human ash (after cremation) reveals sodium/chloride content of 2 %. This translates to 3 pounds of sodium/chloride in the body of a 150 pound person. This comports with the sodium chloride content of a living person as well, slightly over 1 pound for a 143 pound person.
Is that higher than normal or higher than it should be? You don't provide that information and so this is meaningless.

Maybe you mean well. I think you do so next time you post a similar topic, be sure to include a baseline for what is normal, or a healthy amount.

Is that higher than normal or higher than it should be? You don't provide that information and so this is meaningless.

Maybe you mean well. I think you do so next time you post a similar topic, be sure to include a baseline for what is normal, or a healthy amount.
Or maybe you could take the hint and do some independent research instead of spewing a bunch of pedantic crap, duck. Just STFU.

I've just recently took on most of the grocery shopping for my mother who has a heart condition. The doc says to stay under 2000 mg a day for her and 500 mg a meal.

2300 mg a day or less......almost no one does this. Most everything has salt if it's canned or in a box. Most frozen meals have lots of salt too. Fresh veggies are often the way go. Salads are good, most salad dressings have lots of salt.

I've just recently took on most of the grocery shopping for my mother who has a heart condition. The doc says to stay under 2000 mg a day for her and 500 mg a meal.

2300 mg a day or less......almost no one does this. Most everything has salt if it's canned or in a box. Most frozen meals have lots of salt too. Fresh veggies are often the way go. Salads are good, most salad dressings have lots of salt.
Because salt, like fat, makes things taste good.

People whose interest I might have piqued should do their own research. There's no one-size-fits-all answer.

Recall that Jesus said "salt is good". However people then labored outdoors in a hot climate and so expelled excess salt. Today we consume much more salt than needed, then lock ourselves up in air conditioned places in the hot summer months. Salt then builds up in our bodies and causes problems.

Lots of research out there. However some common sense thinking is needed as well.

We just did this topic a while back. My sodium intake is supposed to be about 1100. Someone brought up the deliberate increase of sodium in food which is what makes it harmful now. You might think it's at 2000 but its about 4000 easy and especially if it's premade or fast food.

We just did this topic a while back. My sodium intake is supposed to be about 1100. Someone brought up the deliberate increase of sodium in food which is what makes it harmful now. You might think it's at 2000 but its about 4000 easy and especially if it's premade or fast food.
Some doctors have suggested lowering the RDA to 1500 mg. Britain has lowered it even further, to 600 mg.

And that would be fresh unprocessed vegetables. It's hard enough trying to stay under 2300 mg.
Salt is like drugs. The more you consume the more you need to be satisfied. But when you reduce salt consumption after awhile a smaller amount of salt is just as satisfying. So over time one can ratchet down their salt consumption and enjoy food just as much. However it takes a good initial effort.

I love the Mediterranean diet because it has flavor but is healthier. There is a spice mixture called za'atar which has no salt that I have used on chicken.

Analysis of human ash (after cremation) reveals sodium/chloride content of 2 %. This translates to 3 pounds of sodium/chloride in the body of a 150 pound person. This comports with the sodium chloride content of a living person as well, slightly over 1 pound for a 143 pound person.
The ashes of a person after cremation weighs in the ballpark of 5 lbs, so 2% of 5 lbs is 0.1 lbs.

The ashes of a person after cremation weighs in the ballpark of 5 lbs, so 2% of 5 lbs is 0.1 lbs.
Correction noted. However, a living person still has over a pound of sodium chloride in their system. Way too much.

Too much salt isn't good for your bones either.

Forum List

Back