CDZ Are there any nations that can help persuade Indonesian government to free Ahok?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by grbb, May 10, 2017.

1. grbb

grbb Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Imagine if you can turn a majority muslim country toward democracy without having to go to war.

You have a chance here

Ahok is a christian governor. He is recently jailed for "insulting" islam.

However, Ahok supporter are PLENTY.

He got 42% vote in Jakarta. 35% of muslims picked him. He is supported by many people. His case, and many uncertainty because of it, makes him lost the election.

However, he got 42% vote against someone graduating cumlaude from american top university. Imagine, a christian chinese governor compete well toe to toe in muslim majority country and got 42% vote against a muslim billionaire that's also moderate. Not bad.

In fact, that's the reason why he's in jail.

Some of his opponent use religions as ways to get vote.

There are people that support Ahok. They want Ahok to be freed. Even though he lost election, Ahok got 4k flowers sent to the capitol.

Many demand to eliminate anti blasphemy laws.

The blasphemy laws itself is problematic.

This is what the law said:

I know it sucks to have anti blasphemy laws. However, many legal scholars agree that Ahok didn't even do that. He didn't "intentionally defame" a religion. He is not doing so with the intention that people do not embrace any religion.

There is a controversy that muslims cannot pick muslim leaders. However, 35% of muslims pick Ahok nevertheless. Out of those who don't we don't know what percentage is moderate.

If only we have a bit of international pressure to eliminate the anti blasphemy laws, we may be able to free Ahok. You will have an ally be more popular. Less refugee to US. Instead, other countries can govern themselves well too and have little need of blaming and hating you.

What can we do to make this happen? I've heard some international bodies have stated their displeasure about Ahok jailing, including American vice president, Michael Pence.

Anyone else?

I would like to promote this in change.org if only I can make great petition.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,219
    No. Most countries like the cheap minerals they export. They've been conducting slow genocides of non-Muslims since the 1950's, and not a single U.S. President has ever said Word One about it. They're fine as long as they keep the mass murders below a certain number per year. Ahok made the international news so we hear about his problems, almost never the others.

3. grbb

grbb Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    You hear about Ahok news? That means it's newsworthy enough for Americans. Maybe someone care.

What can we do to help him? Are you a fellow christian like Ahok? What could we do?

4. Vastator

Vastator Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,581
    We could mind our own business, and let Indonesians worry about Indonesia....

5. Eloy

Eloy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,284
    USMessageBoard i not only for discussions about the United States. If you have nothing to say about a topic it is better to say nothing.

Regarding other nations bringing influence to bear on Indonesia's anti-blasphemy law and its interpretation in its courts, this would be ignored by the Indonesian authorities who listen to no-one.

6. grbb

grbb Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    They would listen.

US is a successful country. Many in Indonesia wants their country to be more like US. Your opinions matter.

The president is Ahok's friend. He need only a good reason.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. cnm

cnm Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,824
    He already has a good reason. Behaving like a modern developed country for one thing. If that's not a good enough reason you must mean: what is a suitable bribe to influence him or Ahok's enemies?

8. Vastator

Vastator Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,581
    What finacial, or geopolitical gain is to be had by having my president, extend the will of my nation, on behalf of a person %95 of Americans have never heard of prior to this incident?

9. grbb

grbb Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The people. How do we convince the people that we got to get rid those anti blasphemy laws?

10. cnm

cnm Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,824
    I'd imagine the same perceived interest that had the CIA help murder thousands there.