Are The Teachings Of Buddha Incompatible With The Teachings Of Jesus...?

Most essential element of Christianity: Love
Most essential element of Buddhism: Compassion

You should be ashamed of yourself, posting something that childish and meaningless.

Look up the phrase "Core Beliefs". Then look up the core beliefs of Christianity. I'm sure your fuzzy-wuzzy liberal Christian interpretation sounds very nice to you, but it's empty bunkum against the practicality of Christian teaching and purpose.

Ann Coulter said it best:

According to liberals, the message of Jesus . . . is something along the lines of "be nice to people".

You don't need a religion like Christianity, which is a rather large and complex endeavor, in order to flag that message. All you need is a moron driving around in a Volvo with a bumper sticker that says "be nice to people" . . .

In fact, Jesus' distinctive message was: People are sinful and need to be redeemed, and this is your lucky day because I'm here to redeem you even though you don't deserve it, and I have to get the crap kicked out of me to do it. That is the reason He is called "Christ the Redeemer" rather than "Christ the Moron Driving Around in a Volvo With a 'Be Nice to People' Bumper Sticker on It."

I suggest you delve a bit more into religious study before trying to discuss it, so you don't have any more of these embarrassing moments of confusing Christians with a bunch of hippies sitting around, sharing a bong.

In fact, Jesus' distinctive message was: People are sinful and need to be redeemed, and this is your lucky day because I'm here to redeem you even though you don't deserve it, and I have to get the crap kicked out of me to do it. .

Hmmm...why would Christ do such a thing for us? Could it be that he loves us? And could it be that adhering to the mission of following Christ's example means loving each other the way he loves us? Why, yes it could!

Again, you don't understand either faith.

Okay now I'm all ears. I'd be very interested in hearing your views about how the two are similar in teachings, the nature of the universe and post-mortem existence.
Humility, nonviolence, compassion, the acceptance of suffering, the value of poverty, living this life with in an understanding of its finiteness and the consequences of how that life has been lived, etc. There is even a similar concept of the Saints, and the goal of communion with God (a concept much misunderstood). The more sophisticated a level you understand both, the more similar they appear (all faiths appear?).

Well, I had to study both in college. Actually all religions. I love your comment about how all faiths being similar. This could be said of many philosophies, as well.
Why am I here?
How should I live?
What will make me happy?

Pretty basic questions. The biggest difference I see between Buddhism and other religions is that the core of it is to not even bother trying to be happy.
I'm just not down with that.[/QUOTE]

How about the little fact that Christianity isn't a philosophy? It's a bonafide, unarguable, proud-to-proclaim-it religion. Religion, by its nature, contains philosophy, but only a dipshit liberal - or a gullible conservative who's listened to too many dipshit liberals - thinks the point of Christianity is being a good person. As I said, that's an ancillary aspect, to say the least.

In fact, Jesus' distinctive message was: People are sinful and need to be redeemed, and this is your lucky day because I'm here to redeem you even though you don't deserve it, and I have to get the crap kicked out of me to do it. .

Hmmm...why would Christ do such a thing for us? Could it be that he loves us? And could it be that adhering to the mission of following Christ's example means loving each other the way he loves us? Why, yes it could!

Oh, and your deep, insightful analysis of "Love and compassion" constitutes understanding them? Spare me.

This wasn't even a good try at face-saving. When you have something more to offer than one-sentence "I know, and you don't" pseudo-loftiness, you'll have earned another answer. Until then, you've proven better than I ever could that you're beneath notice on this subject.

"Christianity is about love. Buddhism is about compassion. See, they're the same!" My 3-year-old could do better.

Oh, and your deep, insightful analysis of "Love and compassion" constitutes understanding them? Spare me.

This wasn't even a good try at face-saving. When you have something more to offer than one-sentence "I know, and you don't" pseudo-loftiness, you'll have earned another answer. Until then, you've proven better than I ever could that you're beneath notice on this subject.

"Christianity is about love. Buddhism is about compassion. See, they're the same!" My 3-year-old could do better.

Your 3 year old could teach you a thing or two, it seems.

In Christianity, you can be a real badass, do all sorts of evil things, then repent on your deathbed, ask for forgiveness, and be accepted into heaven. This is why Christianity is so awesome.

Humility, nonviolence, compassion, the acceptance of suffering, the value of poverty, living this life with in an understanding of its finiteness and the consequences of how that life has been lived, etc. There is even a similar concept of the Saints, and the goal of communion with God (a concept much misunderstood). The more sophisticated a level you understand both, the more similar they appear (all faiths appear?).

Well, I had to study both in college. Actually all religions. I love your comment about how all faiths being similar. This could be said of many philosophies, as well.
Why am I here?
How should I live?
What will make me happy?

Pretty basic questions. The biggest difference I see between Buddhism and other religions is that the core of it is to not even bother trying to be happy.
I'm just not down with that.

How about the little fact that Christianity isn't a philosophy? It's a bonafide, unarguable, proud-to-proclaim-it religion. Religion, by its nature, contains philosophy, but only a dipshit liberal - or a gullible conservative who's listened to too many dipshit liberals - thinks the point of Christianity is being a good person. As I said, that's an ancillary aspect, to say the least.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. We were having a discussion. Unkotare and I obviously disagree but are able to do so with civility and class. You might want to learn from that example.
Lots of petty insults and anger in your posts.
Between what you shared about what Ann Coulter and your own example, no wonder so many people are turned off by Christianity!
Oh and btw, an intelligent person would have realized that I didn't say that Christianity is a philosophy but rather, I pointed out that philosophies often accomplish the same thing that religion does, for people who see in Christianity, the self-righteous hostility & judgmentalism which is so often found in Christians.

Not hard to find examples of that, is it?

Fortunately, there are other Christians who disagree with Ms. Coulter. They see a message of love in The Bible.

Why am I here?
How should I live?
What will make me happy?

How about the little fact that Christianity isn't a philosophy? It's a bonafide, unarguable, proud-to-proclaim-it religion. Religion, by its nature, contains philosophy, but only a dipshit liberal - or a gullible conservative who's listened to too many dipshit liberals - thinks the point of Christianity is being a good person. As I said, that's an ancillary aspect, to say the least.

Hmmm. We were having a discussion. Unkotare and I obviously disagree but are able to do so with civility and class. You might want to learn from that example.
Between what you shared about what Ann Coulter and your own example, no wonder so many people are turned off by Christianity!
Oh and btw, an intelligent person would have realized that I didn't say that Christianity is a philosophy but rather, I pointed out that philosophies often accomplish the same thing that religion does, for people who see in Christianity, the self-righteous hostility & judgmentalism which is so often found in Christians.

Fortunately, there are other Christians who disagree with Ms. Coulter. They see a message of love in The Bible.

Jesus said it best... “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:34-35 (NIV)

Last edited:
In Christianity, you can be a real badass, do all sorts of evil things, then repent on your deathbed, ask for forgiveness, and be accepted into heaven. This is why Christianity is so awesome.

mebbe so... but I don't think that's what Jesus had in mind...

Why am I here?
How should I live?
What will make me happy?

Jesus said it best... “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:34-35 (NIV)

Well done sir.

If you study them on the proper level there is no difference between an apple pie and a chocolate cake, yet only a complete idiot would actually argue they are the same thing. The fact that you can sit up on your philosophical high horse and compare apple pies to chocolate cakes because you took a few classes in a school that from professors that don't know what they are talking about does not impress me, or anyone else.

If you study them on the proper level there is no difference between an apple pie and a chocolate cake, yet only a complete idiot would actually argue they are the same thing. The fact that you can sit up on your philosophical high horse and compare apple pies to chocolate cakes because you took a few classes in a school that from professors that don't know what they are talking about does not impress me, or anyone else.

Don't blame me for your inability to understand the subject.

Don't blame me for your inability to understand the subject.

You walk into a forest and look at the one tree you tripped over and think that makes you an expert, and want to argue that I don't understand the subject?

Forum List

Back