Are The Teachings Of Buddha Incompatible With The Teachings Of Jesus...?

If you study them on the proper level there is no difference between an apple pie and a chocolate cake, yet only a complete idiot would actually argue they are the same thing. The fact that you can sit up on your philosophical high horse and compare apple pies to chocolate cakes because you took a few classes in a school that from professors that don't know what they are talking about does not impress me, or anyone else.

Don't blame me for your inability to understand the subject.

You walk into a forest and look at the one tree you tripped over and think that makes you an expert, and want to argue that I don't understand the subject?

Your words suggest you don't understand, you are willing to be dishonest, and have your ego wrapped up in this for some reason.

Hmmm...why would Christ do such a thing for us? Could it be that he loves us? And could it be that adhering to the mission of following Christ's example means loving each other the way he loves us? Why, yes it could!

Again, you don't understand either faith.

If you study them on the proper level there is no difference between an apple pie and a chocolate cake, yet only a complete idiot would actually argue they are the same thing. The fact that you can sit up on your philosophical high horse and compare apple pies to chocolate cakes because you took a few classes in a school that from professors that don't know what they are talking about does not impress me, or anyone else.

Unkotare, do what I do. Just put the really negative people like Quantum on ignore. I mean, you and I have disagreed on practically everything for most of this thread but we have the class and character to do so without insult. When hiding behind anonymity, Quantum's character is quickly revealed. He's small, petty and weak. He's an angry little man who for whatever reason, gets gratification from insulting strangers on the net. He has nothing of substance to offer but instead, seeks to find anything he can be contrarian about. Pitiful, isn't he? Just put him on ignore. There are plenty of people here who have the character to disagree without stooping to his level.

And remember how small and pitiful he looks the next time you are tempted to insult others! We need not lower ourselves to the level of such people.

You walk into a forest and look at the one tree you tripped over and think that makes you an expert, and want to argue that I don't understand the subject?

Your words suggest you don't understand, you are willing to be dishonest, and have your ego wrapped up in this for some reason.

My words suggest I don't understand what? If you are actually more knowledgeable about this than I am you should have no problem providing actually equivalencies between Buddhism and Christianity that go beyond claiming that bodhisattvas are the same as angels. I am 100% positive that the Dalai Lama would laugh at you if you tried to tell him he is a spiritual being sent as a messenger from God. Don't worry though, I am the one that doesn't understand how everything is made of carbon atoms and that proves that graphite is as hard as diamonds.

Unkotare, do what I do. Just put the really negative people like Quantum on ignore. I mean, you and I have disagreed on practically everything for most of this thread but we have the class and character to do so without insult. When hiding behind anonymity, Quantum's character is quickly revealed. He's small, petty and weak. He's an angry little man who for whatever reason, gets gratification from insulting strangers on the net. He has nothing of substance to offer but instead, seeks to find anything he can be contrarian about. Pitiful, isn't he? Just put him on ignore. There are plenty of people here who have the character to disagree without stooping to his level.

And remember how small and pitiful he looks the next time you are tempted to insult others! We need not lower ourselves to the level of such people.

You, on the other hand, look intelligent and insightful when you insult people.

My words suggest I don't understand what? If you are actually more knowledgeable about this than I am you should have no problem providing actually equivalencies between Buddhism and Christianity that go beyond claiming that bodhisattvas are the same as angels. .

You should read the whole thread.

I don't claim to be an expert on either Buddha or Jesus...

but it seems to me that both guys extolled the virtues of being quiet, shutting out the distracting noises of the outside world (as well as the extraneous noises inside your head) and letting yourself listen to and be guided by the inner voice that most folks are too busy to hear...

btw... I believe that this inner voice goes by any number of names: intuition... the Holy Spirit... the voice of God...

Last edited:
In Christianity, you can be a real badass, do all sorts of evil things, then repent on your deathbed, ask for forgiveness, and be accepted into heaven. This is why Christianity is so awesome.

I imagine the Catholics created the idea of purgatory for such folks... just to make things seem fair...

otherwise, why live decades on this earth denying yourself the selfish sinful pleasures of the flesh if, with your last dying breath, you can simply say "Take me home Jesus"... and be saved without consequences...

My words suggest I don't understand what? If you are actually more knowledgeable about this than I am you should have no problem providing actually equivalencies between Buddhism and Christianity that go beyond claiming that bodhisattvas are the same as angels. .

I did, but I am too stupid to comprehend the concepts. Why don't you educate me, and everyone else here who doesn't get it?

Alternatively, you could just admit you are talking out of your ass.

but it seems to me that both guys extolled the virtues of being quiet, shutting out the distracting noises of the outside world (as well as the extraneous noises inside your head) and letting yourself listen to and be guided by the inner voice that most folks are too busy to hear...

btw... I believe that this inner voice goes by any number of names: intuition... the Holy Spirit... the voice of God...

At least you preface that by admitting you don't know what you are talking about.

At least you preface that by admitting you don't know what you are talking about.

I'm working on humility... it's a hard-won lesson...

I welcome intelligent informed opinions on this subject...

In ethics, the teachings of the Buddha and the teachings of Jesus meet. Both value love and compassion.

Jesus did not teach on the topic of emptiness, the Buddha did. That is where the two religions part company.

Buddhist don't believe in God, so Jesus teachings that he was God and man wouldn't be compatible.

Last edited:

In ethics, the teachings of the Buddha and the teachings of Jesus meet.

Jesus did not teach on the topic of emptiness, which is what sets Buddhism apart from all other religions.

I would venture to say that the Buddhist goal of attaining "emptiness" is directly related to the Biblical exhortation "Be still and know that I am"...

I did, but I am too stupid to comprehend the concepts. .

Yup, it seems so. Well, read it again and maybe something will sink in.

In ethics, the teachings of the Buddha and the teachings of Jesus meet.

Jesus did not teach on the topic of emptiness, which is what sets Buddhism apart from all other religions.

I would venture to say that the Buddhist goal of attaining "emptiness" is directly related to the Biblical exhortation "Be still and know that I am"...

You think?

In ethics, the teachings of the Buddha and the teachings of Jesus meet. Both value love and compassion.

Jesus did not teach on the topic of emptiness, the Buddha did. That is where the two religions part company.

Buddhist don't believe in God, so Jesus teachings that he was God and man wouldn't be compatible.

What great insight. I agree. Only a fool doesn't see similarites in virtually ALL religions. But that doesn't mean those religions don't part ways in major areas.

Jesus taught us to want certain things. To pursue worthy goals and actions. The Buddha taught that the key to happiness is to simply want nothing - not even the spread of Buddhism or that it continue. Yet it has grown and spread throughout the world. Obviously there is value there.

What great insight. I agree. Only a fool doesn't see similarites in virtually ALL religions. But that doesn't mean those religions don't part ways in major areas.

Jesus taught us to want certain things. To pursue worthy goals and actions. The Buddha taught that the key to happiness is to simply want nothing - not even the spread of Buddhism or that it continue. Yet it has grown and spread throughout the world. Obviously there is value there.

You're over simplifying the Buddha's teachings.

The key to happiness is NOT wanting nothing. The key to happiness is recognizing the way things truly are.

You're over simplifying the Buddha's teachings.

The key to happiness is NOT wanting nothing. The key to happiness is recognizing the way things truly are.

Perhaps. I was required to study the basic tenets of all the major religions and a few minor ones in school. I've studied Buddhism a bit on a personal level but have never practiced or gone beyond a superficial examination. I do remember sayings that went along the lines of "He who wants nothing is free".
Also, there were those episodes of "Kung Fu" where the blind guy talked about the mistake of wanting anything!

Forum List

Back