Are The Teachings Of Buddha Incompatible With The Teachings Of Jesus...?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by bayoubill, May 19, 2012.

1. bayoubill

bayoubill aka Sheik Yerbouti... Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +930
    I welcome intelligent informed opinions on this subject...

2. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404

Does it matter if they are incompatible? I am sure the christians could car less about the buddhists....and the buddhists could care less about the chirstians.

3. bayoubill

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +930
    you obviously miss the point of the question...

4. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Yes.

5. bayoubill

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +930
    how so...?

6. IndependntLogic

IndependntLogic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    There are a number of indicators that Jesus may have been exposed to Eastern philosophy during the 20 undocumented years of Christ's life. Christ brought many concepts to the ancient hebrews that were beyond radical. Kharma, empathy, shared experience etc... all coompletely removed from anything that would have been learned or experienced through Jewish custom. Thus many of the teachings of Christianity are not only compatible but nearly identical to those of Buddhism.

That being said, the most basic tenets of each religion, while not necessarily contradictory, are nearly the opposite.
    Christians are taught to want to live a godly life and also to spread Christianity. The goal of a Buddhist is to want absolutely nothing as "the root of all pain is desire, thus to want, is to create pain."

To me, Buddhism is the purest of all religions in that there have never been any wars, torture etc... in the name of Buddha. It's just that thing about eliminating everything that makes us human, that I don't like.

7. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I wouldn't say they are incompatible, They are, however, in conflict since the Buddha denied the existence of God.

8. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    There are no such indicators in existence anywhere on this planet. Jesus never once in his entire existence mentioned the concept of karma, the entire concept of reincarnation doesn't exist in either Judaism or Christianity.

I guess you are right about empathy though, it isn't like God ever cared about what happened to people.

Oh, wait.
    "In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old." Isaiah 63:9

If there is no evidence or documentation about what happened to Jesus for 20 years of his life, how can you say that there is evidence that Jesus was exposed to Eastern teachings?

I hereby issue a challenge, why don't you list all the teachings of Christianity that are identical to the teachings of Buddhism so I can point out, exactly, why you have your head up your ass?

Umm, what?

The goal of Buddhism is cessation of conflict and suffering. That might be nothing to you, but I think they consider it to be pretty important. Your assumptions about your own superiority is showing again, better adjust your mask.

Why do people keep saying stupid things? Have you ever heard of Google? I suggest you use it to research Shakyamuni Buddha.

9. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,897

No, they are not.

10. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404

Again... does it matter?