Are teachers really "afraid to teach history" because of anti-CRT laws?

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
I've heard that from a lot of teachers, and a teacher that I knew years ago wrote an opinion piece about it. She claimed that this fear of violating anti-CRT laws merely by teaching history honestly is part of why so many teachers are leaving the profession.

I respect her as a teacher, and based on what I heard about her from my wife, who worked with her, I used to offer to vouch for her if she wanted to work at my school. So I was interested in what she had to say, though I usually "stop right there," when I see teachers blaming anti-CRT laws for the ills of the public schools.

I read her piece several times with interest and an open mind. I understand her beliefs, and I get that she worries about any new restrictions on teaching. She also mentioned "attempts to ban books," as a reason for teacher departures, which made the piece lose credibility, for me.

She is a strong union supporter, and I tend to believe that is where the fear is coming from, part of the liberal union propaganda, and general anti-parent attitude on the part of teacher unions.

But maybe not. Maybe there are actually teachers who worry that they will not be able to comply with anti-CRT laws.

If Texas or any state passes a law that says that teachers cannot teach students that one race is morally superior to another or that contemporary members of one race bear collective guilt for the treatment of another race in history, and a teacher thinks, 'uh-oh, I could be in trouble,' it was already time for that teacher to re-think how she was teaching. If a teacher honestly says, "But, I have to tell those ____________ kids about the sins of their foreparents, so they know how they are actually the oppressors of their ______________ peers, or I can't do my job," she really should think about a career change.

Perhaps to a community organizer. The Dems will need plenty of them to harvest ballots and drive voters to multiple precincts if the DOJ/FBI are going to pull any more shenanigans to galvanize the Trump base.

I've heard that from a lot of teachers, and a teacher that I knew years ago wrote an opinion piece about it. She claimed that this fear of violating anti-CRT laws merely by teaching history honestly is part of why so many teachers are leaving the profession.

I respect her as a teacher, and based on what I heard about her from my wife, who worked with her, I used to offer to vouch for her if she wanted to work at my school. So I was interested in what she had to say, though I usually "stop right there," when I see teachers blaming anti-CRT laws for the ills of the public schools.

I read her piece several times with interest and an open mind. I understand her beliefs, and I get that she worries about any new restrictions on teaching. She also mentioned "attempts to ban books," as a reason for teacher departures, which made the piece lose credibility, for me.

She is a strong union supporter, and I tend to believe that is where the fear is coming from, part of the liberal union propaganda, and general anti-parent attitude on the part of teacher unions.

But maybe not. Maybe there are actually teachers who worry that they will not be able to comply with anti-CRT laws.

If Texas or any state passes a law that says that teachers cannot teach students that one race is morally superior to another or that contemporary members of one race bear collective guilt for the treatment of another race in history, and a teacher thinks, 'uh-oh, I could be in trouble,' it was already time for that teacher to re-think how she was teaching. If a teacher honestly says, "But, I have to tell those ____________ kids about the sins of their foreparents, so they know how they are actually the oppressors of their ______________ peers, or I can't do my job," she really should think about a career change.

Perhaps to a community organizer. The Dems will need plenty of them to harvest ballots and drive voters to multiple precincts if the DOJ/FBI are going to pull any more shenanigans to galvanize the Trump base.

Any of the anti-CRT laws are pretty clear. Teachers are caught between parents and their insane Unions. The TEXTBOOKS are approved. She has nothing to worry about because all she has to do is follow the HISTORY curriculum.

CRT isn't even history. It is in the sense of grievances that JUSTIFY CRT -- but the THEORY is all about today. So -- when you TEACH history -- all the "remedies" and screwy theories about "fixing stuff" should be H.S. or College.

Teachers are hard to find and becoming harder. PARTLY because the UNIONS have politicized the classrooms and the teaching colleges have politicized the graduating teachers. And the flack the teachers get from BOTH sides forces them to choose. Because there's NO COMPROMISE possible on some of the stuff that;s getting fought over.

THIS is muddled thinking of comparing HISTORY to CRT. Our grandparents SINNED by condoning slavery -- SO DID EVERYONES" grandparents because that was the way of the world throughout history.

So it's false logic when she says -- "But, I have to tell those ____________ kids about the sins of their foreparents, so they know how they are actually the oppressors of their ______________ peers, or I can't do my job,"

Because the "OPPRESSION OF THEIR PEERS" part is a complex THEORY -- NOT A FUCKING FACT. It does NOT logically follow that all kids of one color OPPRESS the other TODAY -- BECUZ of the history of slavery. Slavery only exists today because of "human trafficking" for illicit purposes in the USA.

And you would not DROP that bad logic on younger kids who couldn't possibly comprehend "systemic racism" theories in the current times.

I have been teaching nearly 30 years. I teach history as part of my curriculum. I have never, not once ever, had a single complaint when I teach that facts are....you know...facts.

As in, "these things happened".

I don't WANT to editorialize on it over-much. It's not my place and I don't have the mental, emotional or even spiritual energy to deal with the blowback. But mostly, it's not my place.

Not a single thing has changed re: my approach to teaching these units of history. Not since the early 90s. I disregarded all the hype 10 years ago about woke-ifying everything and I'm disregarding all the blowback panic now. When you apply common sense, you sidestep a lot of nonsense.

I think that's crap. I've taught history honestly for 42 years and never had a problem. I think it's their version of "honestly" that is the issue.

Forum List

Back