Are pro golf "stars" sissies??

FJO

Gold Member
Apr 17, 2012
Just North of the 49th
Why would a pro golfer need somebody to carry his bag?

Why would the same golf pro demand utter silence from the poor schmucks (known, politically correctly as the 'gallery') who pay his exorbitant pay to be silent when he tees off or putts?

Are they sissies? Are they not man enough to look after themselves? Can they not ignore and rise above crowd noise?

Football players can. Basketball players can. Hockey players can.

Maybe these golf pros can look for some sympathy from pro bowlers who are just like them.

What do you think?

There's a lot more to a caddie's job than carrying the bag. It's the caddie's job to read the course and weather conditions, recommend the shot, and oversee the bag. It's the golfer's job to hit the ball. Having a good caddie makes the game a far more enjoyable and rewarding experience. For a pro golfer, the relationship is critical to improving their chances at earning a living for both the golfer and caddie.

Why would the same golf pro demand utter silence from the poor schmucks (known, politically correctly as the 'gallery') who pay his exorbitant pay to be silent when he tees off or putts?

Because golf is a gentleman's game. It is considered rude and unprofessional to distract a golfer during his swing, be it a pro or first time amateur. Everyone in the gallery understands this.

Maybe these golf pros can look for some sympathy from pro bowlers who are just like them.

How does a tradition of decorum on the course equate to "looking for sympathy"? Never bowled so I can't really say why bowlers are "just like" golfers...but on the surface, the comparison seems silly.

Why has this got your goat? Can you not simply avoid the game? Alternatively, you are free to start your own golf course where rude treatment of players and loud, foul mouthed spectator are welcome. Good luck.

There's a lot more to a caddie's job than carrying the bag. It's the caddie's job to read the course and weather conditions, recommend the shot, and oversee the bag. It's the golfer's job to hit the ball. Having a good caddie makes the game a far more enjoyable and rewarding experience. For a pro golfer, the relationship is critical to improving their chances at earning a living for both the golfer and caddie.

Because golf is a gentleman's game. It is considered rude and unprofessional to distract a golfer during his swing, be it a pro or first time amateur. Everyone in the gallery understands this.

How does a tradition of decorum on the course equate to "looking for sympathy"? Never bowled so I can't really say why bowlers are "just like" golfers...but on the surface, the comparison seems silly.

Why has this got your goat? Can you not simply avoid the game? Alternatively, you are free to start your own golf course where rude treatment of players and loud, foul mouthed spectator are welcome. Good luck.

So, I guess you are saying that people who attend football games, baseball games, basketball games, hockey games, and the people who are the stars and participants of these games are not ladies and gentlemen, but nothing but uncouth slobs?

Are you also implying/saying that without the caddie the pro golfer would have a score just a bit more realistic and similar to the scores of us poor schmucks who are men enough to look after our own golf bags and have the intelligence to read the course, the weather conditions and make up our own minds to use the right club and then follow up without somebody holding our hands?

So, you say, it is the (pro) golfer's job to hit the ball. OK. A guy who plays golf seven days a week should NEVER and I mean NEVER miss the fairway from the tee. Should NEVER, I mean NEVER miss a four foot putt. Not even with adoring crowds cheering, which the "gentleman", obviously considers nothing but rude noise from unwashed plebians.

No, it is not something that "got my goat". It just something that got me thinking that why is it that football kickers whose kick may determine a Super Bowl Championship or basketball players whose free throw can decide an NBA championship or baseball batters whose hit or miss may be the determining factor or a World Series Championship can be man enough to show respect to their supporters and not demanding to shut up, when they do their job, while pro golfers (undeniably gentlemen, like the philanderer Tiger Woods) demand silence when they do theirs.

Just so that you know, I am an old guy and reasonably good bowler and a poor golfer. It never occured to me to demand silence when I swing my golf club or deliver my bowling ball. I enjoy both game by participating or watching on TV. And, to quote you, the comparison between pro golfer and pro bowlers - both demanding silent adoration from the spectators - is silly only to those who have no experience.

Anyways, thanks for your opinion. If and when I design, build and start my own golf course, you will be among the first guests to get a free pass. I will guarantee no obedient silence, however.

To compare golfers to real athletes like basketball players, hockey players, and football players is ridiculos.

Fuckin' golfers. Bunch of pussies.

The hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball coming at you at 90+ mph. But do pro ballplyers demand slience?

Are they sissies? Are they not man enough to look after themselves? Can they not ignore and rise above crowd noise?

What do you think?

I think golf is one of the most difficult sports in the world to become the best at. Everything is on one single person - you. The pressure, the clutch shots, the decision making, ect, all you.

In football, hockey, baseball, basketball, ect, you work alongside a team with guidance from a huge staff of people. If you're having an off day, your teammates pick up the slack. If you're having a bad quarter, or period, you can sit out and recover.

But in golf, everything is up to you.

In order to win a single PGA event (against the best golfers in the world), you have to play 72 consecutive holes without making any major mistakes. You have to battle against unique situations with every single shot (the playing field in football, baseball, and hockey - for example - stays relatively consistent wherever you go). Also, golfers make their cash on a per tournament basis (performance based) - not salaried like other sports.

These guys are masters of nerve, and are all around awesome at what they do. To call every pro golfer a "pussy" is an idiotic statement.

Last edited:
Fuckin' golfers. Bunch of pussies.

The hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball coming at you at 90+ mph. But do pro ballplyers demand slience?

That's funny, can you explain why athletes from all "sports" play golf during their down time and most claim that the pressure they feel over a 3 foot putt is equal to or greater than anytime in the "sport" that they play professionally. As for the manly games......really?

images

It's really hard for me to consider golf as a sport...

It's more like an activity.

And a really stupid one at that.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4w7H48tBS8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4w7H48tBS8[/ame]

Last edited:
What's with those team sports guys, aren't those asshole intelligent enough to play a kids game that they have been playing since they were kids and obviously never grew up, without a coach to tell them what to do?

That is the big difference between fast moving sports and a static game like golf, it actually takes brain power and mental toughness to play a game where you have plenty of time to doubt yourself between shots. The extreme skill you see on television by players on the PGA is nothing compared to what you see on the course. I have caddied at numerous Tour events, 2 U.S. Opens, The Memorial, The Bing Crosby and The 86 Masters....television gives you no idea how very difficult those golf courses are. Like Kevin said, it is the player against the course, no daddy coach to tell you what to do, no teammates to help you out, no air conditioned, wind blocking stadium and greens that would make those pro athletes shit. Michael Jordan thought he could play on tour, he was an ok player for 1 round.....real golfers play 4 rounds where the course is set up different everyday. Jordan knew he would make the cut in any tournament.

Anybody that has to listen to some yahoo yell "Go in the hole!!!!!" on every single shot is an athlete.

What do you think?

I think golf is one of the most difficult sports in the world to become the best at. Everything is on one single person - you. The pressure, the clutch shots, the decision making, ect, all you.

In football, hockey, baseball, basketball, ect, you work alongside a team with guidance from a huge staff of people. If you're having an off day, your teammates pick up the slack. If you're having a bad quarter, or period, you can sit out and recover.

But in golf, everything is up to you.

In order to win a single PGA event (against the best golfers in the world), you have to play 72 consecutive holes without making any major mistakes. You have to battle against unique situations with every single shot (the playing field in football, baseball, and hockey - for example - stays relatively consistent wherever you go). Also, golfers make their cash on a per tournament basis (performance based) - not salaried like other sports.

These guys are masters of nerve, and are all around awesome at what they do. To call every pro golfer a "pussy" is an idiotic statement.

In all team sports the player/mentor (i.e. coach) ratio is at least 20 to one. In golf it is one to one, with the difference being that team sports coaches are formerly successful athletes in their sports, while in golf the coach (bag carrier) is one who never made it as athlete. In team sports a bad stretch results in involuntary benching, in golf you do or do not attend an event, depending on the size of your ego and/or on the size of your greed.

You say that in golf 'everything is on a single person - you'. Kind of similar to a batter in baseball or a field goal kicker on football, ain't it? With the disadvantage in baseball and football - unlike in golf - that your ball can be caught or your kick can be blocked, respectively. And, yet, they don't insist that the people whose price of admission (admittedly, along with advertisers) pay their wage shut the hell up before they apply their trade.

I'll be the first to admit that pro golfers are wizards/artists/magicians with their clubs.

But I submit to you that if they were willing/able/unashamed to carry their own bags, read weather, wind and course conditions for themselves, their score would be bloated by at least five or ten strokes. And also they are athletes about as much as any senior citizen who walks seven thousand yards (mile and a half) a day in about two hours, not an entire day, with long stops every twenty/thirty minutes.

What do you think?

I think you need your ass kicked by Bob Barker!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-oiPuxJ6zc]Happy Gilmore vs Bob Barker www keepvid com - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back