Are Fireworks Appropriate on Memorial Day?

Are Fireworks Appropriate on Memorial Day?

• Total voters
I remember a few years ago when it was pointed out to me that patriotism has been co-opted for a sales opportunity. Think about all the 4th of July sales you can read about in the paper where celebrating our nation's founding is now used to promote the sale of furniture. It's kind of sad, really. But I can live with that just like I can live with the same thing being done to President's Day when George Washington's and Abe Lincoln's portraits are used (along with the American flag) to sell furniture, and cars, and beer.

But Memorial Day is far more sacred in my mind. It's not only objectionable to me to use the day as a sales gimmick, it's almost worse for our politicians and media personalities to try to turn the day into a celebration of ALL Veterans simply as a way to turn a somber occasion into a back-slapping media-created circus where everyone trips over themselves to thank living Veterans for their service. Well, I've got some news for everybody in case the definition of words and the intent of Memorial Day has been lost on you. Memorial Day is NOT about the service of all Veterans, nor is it about all the Veterans who have served in combat. It's about the men and women who have fallen in combat or been killed in a war zone.

Try to keep it real instead of turning it into just another day to sell a lot of hot dogs.

Last edited:
-
Yes, progressive nutbags would think that. It's another excuse to discourage any show of patriotism, faith, entrepreneurish or capitalist endeavors.

When can we look forward to seeing 9-11 fireworks and a few 9-11 sales as an expression of patriotism, faith, and capitalistic endeavors? Or is 9-11 considered a somber occasion now like Memorial Day used to be?

Before I start, allow me to express my deepest gratitude to the men and women of the armed forces of the United States who have paid the highest price in the defense of our country. I would also like to express me condolences to the families of the men and women who have been killed in action and to tell them I am grateful and humbled by their sacrifice.

Now, on to the question I posed in the subject line. It's meant as a serious question.

I was driving last night when I saw fireworks in the distance. I can only assume it was for Memorial Day. Here's the thing. I've always interpreted fireworks as being part of a celebration. For example, we celebrate our Independence day on the 4th of July. It's wholly fitting and appropriate that we celebrate that day. But Memorial Day is not a day to celebrate ALL Veterans. (In the interest of full disclosure, I myself am a Veteran). It's a day to COMMEMORATE the men and women of the combined US armed forces who have fallen in battle or have been killed in a war zone. In other words, a celebration is different than a commemoration.

Thoughts?

IMO, fireworks are always appropriate. Now I think I'm gonna add that to my will, that they do fireworks at my funeral which is suppose to be a wake anyway.

reputation_pos.gif
Are Fireworks... 05-26-2014 11:01 PM
reputation_pos.gif
Are Fireworks... 05-26-2014 11:13 PM
reputation_pos.gif
Are Fireworks... 05-26-2014 11:20 PM
reputation_pos.gif
Are Fireworks... 05-27-2014 10:32 AM
reputation_pos.gif
Are Fireworks... 05-27-2014 11:07 AM
reputation_pos.gif
Are Fireworks... 05-27-2014 11:46 AM
reputation_pos.gif
Are Fireworks... 05-27-2014 11:52 AM

Obviously I don't know how to properly celebrate fallen military.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

-
Yes, progressive nutbags would think that. It's another excuse to discourage any show of patriotism, faith, entrepreneurish or capitalist endeavors.

When can we look forward to seeing 9-11 fireworks and a few 9-11 sales as an expression of patriotism, faith, and capitalistic endeavors? Or is 9-11 considered a somber occasion now like Memorial Day used to be?

You should stay at home and you won't be distressed, you pansy assed loser.

Nobody wants you defiling the celebration of our dead veterans via your presence, anyway.

You don't celebrate the dead, you dipshit. You commemorate them.

-

Nobody wants you defiling the celebration of our dead veterans via your presence, anyway.

Depends on what your culture says. Ever heard of an Irish wake?

I don't hate what is necessary in this case. Their dying in large numbers is also necessary. I'm even fine paying for the ones who manage to make it back here. Learn to be rational instead of emotional.

Damn, your lack of knowledge of the English language makes it painful to read your posts.

Memorial Day is for all US veterans. It's pathetic even for you that you can't put aside your partisan bitterness and bickering to just remember the people who died for our freedom instead of having to turn it into a chance for cheap political points to further the lie you were lied to.
Memorial=Dead. Learn our language.

I wasn't referring to the definition of memorial day, I was referring to your endless spelling and grammar mistakes.

-

What you mean is YOU don't celebrate the dead. I doubt you celebrate anything, except the deaths of babies...

The rest of us are normal. We engage in a variety of celebrations in the name of honoring the dead.

"What is a celebration of life memorial service?

Celebration of life services typically focus on the positive, humorous, and encouraging aspects of the deceased’s life. It’s nice to smile and laugh together over the memories of a loved one along with remembrances of their endearing qualities or idiosyncrasies. Shared laughter can offer a break from the sadness, tension, and stress of loss, even if for a short time. For a moment, the departed loved one seems nearer as we remember and laugh together about the way they lived and loved life."

Celebration of Life: What is a Celebration of Life Service? | eFuneral

"The late jazzman Danny Barker, writing in his book Bourbon Street Black, noted the funeral is seen as "a major celebration. The roots of the jazz funeral date back to Africa. Four centuries ago, the Dahomeans of Benin and the Yoruba of Nigeria, West Africa were laying the foundation for one of today's most novel social practices on the North American Continent, the jazz funeral."

The Jazz Funeral

Before I start, allow me to express my deepest gratitude to the men and women of the armed forces of the United States who have paid the highest price in the defense of our country. I would also like to express me condolences to the families of the men and women who have been killed in action and to tell them I am grateful and humbled by their sacrifice.

Now, on to the question I posed in the subject line. It's meant as a serious question.

I was driving last night when I saw fireworks in the distance. I can only assume it was for Memorial Day. Here's the thing. I've always interpreted fireworks as being part of a celebration. For example, we celebrate our Independence day on the 4th of July. It's wholly fitting and appropriate that we celebrate that day. But Memorial Day is not a day to celebrate ALL Veterans. (In the interest of full disclosure, I myself am a Veteran). It's a day to COMMEMORATE the men and women of the combined US armed forces who have fallen in battle or have been killed in a war zone. In other words, a celebration is different than a commemoration.

Thoughts?
I think that there are people who are grieving over lost loved ones, and the use of fireworks seems inappropriate. Without some adult understanding, a child who sees fireworks as celebration of lost military members sends a pretty mixed signal.

I don't really have that much of a problem with people who chose to honor our fallen in this way, but to Me personally, I find it somewhat inappropriate.

Thoughts?
I think that there are people who are grieving over lost loved ones, and the use of fireworks seems inappropriate. Without some adult understanding, a child who sees fireworks as celebration of lost military members sends a pretty mixed signal.

I don't really have that much of a problem with people who chose to honor our fallen in this way, but to Me personally, I find it somewhat inappropriate.

Considering that there are several opportunities every year to celebrate our Independence Day, or our victories in war, or the American Flag, or Veterans in general, IMHO Memorial Day should be reserved for honoring the fallen and not for what appears to be the glorification of war which is what I believe fireworks tends to do since it seems to celebrate the human conflicts between nations that lead to death and destruction.

Screw you. We'll honor our fallen dead however we want.

You want to piss and moan about war, then stay in your hovel.

Yes, YOU are free to honor YOUR fallen dead however you want to. If YOU want to have a fireworks display to honor the death in battle of someone in your family, have at it.

But this thread wasn't and isn't about what individuals should be allowed to do. They can do as they please. This thread is about what is appropriate collectively for the nation as a whole in how we as a country choose to honor the men and women who have been killed in combat and/or have been wounded and died as a result of injuries sustained while being stationed in a combat zone. My question is whether or not fireworks are an appropriate way to honor people killed in a war zone since fireworks are generally seen as celebratory, and Memorial Day is not a celebratory occasion. It's a commemoration, and that is fundamentally different in nature.

We as a nation celebrate the 4th of July. We celebrate Flag Day. We celebrate Veterans Day. We commemorate the occasion of Memorial Day. If you don't see the difference, that's not my problem.

Yes, YOU are free to honor YOUR fallen dead however you want to. If YOU want to have a fireworks display to honor the death in battle of someone in your family, have at it.

But this thread wasn't and isn't about what individuals should be allowed to do. They can do as they please. This thread is about what is appropriate collectively for the nation as a whole in how we as a country choose to honor the men and women who have been killed in combat and/or have been wounded and died as a result of injuries sustained while being stationed in a combat zone. My question is whether or not fireworks are an appropriate way to honor people killed in a war zone since fireworks are generally seen as celebratory, and Memorial Day is not a celebratory occasion. It's a commemoration, and that is fundamentally different in nature.

We as a nation celebrate the 4th of July. We celebrate Flag Day. We celebrate Veterans Day. We commemorate the occasion of Memorial Day. If you don't see the difference, that's not my problem.

End of story.

It is not a day to celebrate. It is a day to remember, reflect, and pay tribute.

I read ads for Memorial Day Savings at furniture stores and swimming pool installers. I went to the grocery store and saw Memorial Day Specials in the meat department and the produce department. I got flyers in the mail announcing Memorial Day sales. So much for the dignity of the holiday. But there's the entrepreneurship celebrated by another poster here!

I read ads for Memorial Day Savings at furniture stores and swimming pool installers. I went to the grocery store and saw Memorial Day Specials in the meat department and the produce department. I got flyers in the mail announcing Memorial Day sales. So much for the dignity of the holiday. But there's the entrepreneurship celebrated by another poster here!

My wife wanted to have a bar b q. I suggested we go to the cemetery and visit her dad; a retired Captain in the Army who dies 20 years after he retired.

I don't care if the TV I want is on sale for half price on Memorial Day. I will not buy it.

The "We" in "We'll" is apparently you, a dozen followers on this thread and a single commercial interest called Riverwalk in Slidell, Louisiana and perhaps the knuckleheads in that town who gave the commercial interest a permit, and that is it. Otherwise, the entire United States of America has decided not to celebrate our war dead with a fireworks display.

The "We" in "We'll" is apparently you, a dozen followers on this thread and a single commercial interest called Riverwalk in Slidell, Louisiana and perhaps the knuckleheads in that town who gave the commercial interest a permit, and that is it. Otherwise, the entire United States of America has decided not to celebrate our war dead with a fireworks display.

Perhaps Koshergrl simply isn't intelligent enough to see the distinction. I don't know. Since I don't know her personally, I can't really make that call. However, I can say something that will undoubtedly sound provocative although that's not my intention.

It's this: If any person wants to 'celebrate' the war dead, doesn't it stand to reason that more dead in war is cause for even greater celebration than a lower number? In my opinion, people who think like that are more likely to support war, regardless of the rational for the conflict. Hopefully, people who think that way are not the ones making the decision about whether or not to go to war in the first place.

Yeah, lol. I come from a family of veterans. My uncle was a POW and a great uncle fought in the Battle of the Bulge. I have cousins and kids and kids of cousins who are veterans and who are currently serving. I posted the images of half a dozen close relatives who are living who are either veterans or serving now. My father was a WWII veteran.

I think I understand the occasion. Much, much better than anti-American jackasses like you two.

Who are you supposed to be responding to since your comment is a stand alone response?

Forum List

Back