Are conservatives REALLY this disconnected from reality?

Why do you need a 30 minute break plus a 15 minute break after only 5 hours of work?

When I was a workaday slob I rarely if ever took a 30 minute lunch break. I got 2 15 minute breaks and that was plenty of time to eat a bologna sandwich and have a cup of coffee or a coke

I used to punch out 30 minutes before the rest of the guys who waned to sit on their asses for an extra half hour every day.

Seriously, why would anyone want to hang around work for an extra half hour a day if they didn't have to?

Because the Govt mandates that you are too stupid to make that choice for yourself when looking at employers for your employment.

Do ANY of you have ANY experience in HR?

The government says you HAVE to provide a lunch break.
There's NOTHING that says the employer can't PAY the employee for that half hour lunch , is there?

So when you say you'll have to stay an extra half hour, that's the BUSINESS' decision and NOT governments, isn't it?

Check and mate.

There's NOTHING that says the employer can't PAY the employee for that half hour lunch , is there?

So when you say you'll have to stay an extra half hour, that's the BUSINESS' decision and NOT governments, isn't it?

Check and mate.

So government says you have to take an hour break, but an employer should pay for part of the government mandated break........................

Yep, you win. In your own mind, and that's all that counts.

Check and mate.

Yes I do, along with having once been an operations manager for a retail outlet.

The govt, in my state, says you must provide employees with a 30 minute break for every 6 hours worked. If the employer does not allow the employee to leave the work premisis for the 30 minute break they must then pay the workers for the break, if they do allow you to leave they do not have to pay for you.

And you are wrong. He will have to stay a half hour because of the govt mandate, not the business' decisions....without the mandate he could go home 30 minutes early and never take a break, with it he must take the break.

That wasn't checkmate at all, you just lost your queen!

Most of us work in a small business and understand a lunch break is something to run errands on. I come early most days and stay until close or when the customer leaves. That is reality.

I remember when i was younger and i worked a 5-6 hour shift I hated it when my boss said I had to take a half hour break. Would much rather have gotten my shift over a half hour early.

But instead, gov't got to decide my shift for me. Hooray freedom!

Wow...anecdotal evidence.
How devestating to my argument.

I guess it IS better that you get to go home early, than 1000 people being able to eat a meal while on their 10 hour shifts.

What if they don't want to? What if they only want to take 15 minutes?

Who should decide that, the worker, or government bureacrats and politicians?

What if they do want to? Your argument is unbelievably ridiculous. On one hand you say, big bad gov't shouldn't tell people to take breaks during a long shift; on the other hand you say, gov't should make people work straight through even if they want to take a break. So, which is it, pal? Do you want gov't making rules for you, or not? You can't have it both ways.

I know a person who likes smoking meth, doesn't mean everyone does. It's just one example. I'm sure if there was a way to poll truck drivers, only a tiny minority would want to drive that many hours.

All I'm saying is when given a choice between giving a worker freedom or giving a government mandate, freedom is the way to go.

We need government mandates to prevent businesses from overstepping their boundaries.
Without strong ones, business will WALK ALL OVER ANYONE in the way of higher profits.

People seem to think that rational self interests governs people. Hell no, GREED governs most people. And that means shitting on someone else to get ahead.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

If a worker wants the choice between taking a 15, 30, or 60 minute lunch i think they should have the option, you don't. There's not really an agreeable middle ground it seems.

That would make scheduling interesting and enough of a reason for corporations to oppose the option and have it mandatory one way or the other.

Are conservatives REALLY this disconnected from reality?

Are state supremacists REALLY this disconnected from reality?

hermann_goring_1_550.jpg

Hermann Wilhelm Göring

How many individuals did Hermann Wilhelm Göring decimate?

A) None, he was a government official hence an angel

B) 6 million, but he was working for Burger King at the time

c) Under the advise of counsel I plead the Fifth,

Good grief, you nitwits have issues with lunch breaks now? Does anything make you people happy?

:lol:

I'm so glad I'm not a lib... seems like a miserable existence.

A Republican State Representative in New Hampshire has found a way to create a new front in the war on workers, proposing a bill that would repeal the state’s law requiring that workers get a 30-minute lunch break after five hours of labor.

State Rep. J.R. Hoell (R), a supporter of libertarian-leaning Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) for president, told a New Hampshire General Court committee this week that he believes the law is unnecessary because it is in employers’ interest to treat workers well, according to The Concord Monitor.

His argument was seconded by state Rep. Kyle Jones (R), a 20-year-old Ron Paul backer who earned a seat in the New Hampshire General Court during the last election as part of a mother-son candidate slate. Jones said that his days working as a shift supervisor at Burger King taught him that employers will always treat employees well because human resources departments require it.
New Hampshire Republican proposes end to lunch break law | The Raw Story

Jeez...what these two need is a real dose of workplace reality.

I guess they can go ahead and repeal all those affirmative action laws too as HR departments frown on racism too!

Want proof that employers treat workers well?
Are they covering more of our retirement costs or less?
Are they covering MORE of our healthcare costs or less?
Have wages increased alongside the rise in productivity in the last 20 years or not?

Yeah, perhaps in the gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane you live in, but here in the real world, employers treat employees like shit because they can.

Look at what minimum wage jobs say to the workers...."If I could pay you less I would, but it would be AGAINST THE LAW" Does that sound like a benevolent master?

I think all politicians should be forced to survive on a middle class income for one year to qualify for public office.

...the reason the laws were created in the first place. Workers were working in unsafe conditions, for peanuts, etc... I seem to recall one of my supervisor's quotes-"Everyone can be replaced.", while she sat at a desk all day, and did nothing but gossip, eat, and run her mouth about nonsense. And not surprisingly, this company had a PAINFULLY high turnover rate. If your workers don't respect you, they're going to do the minimal amount required to stay out of trouble. There will be very little of "going above and beyond".

Wow...anecdotal evidence.
How devestating to my argument.

I guess it IS better that you get to go home early, than 1000 people being able to eat a meal while on their 10 hour shifts.

What if they don't want to? What if they only want to take 15 minutes?

Who should decide that, the worker, or government bureacrats and politicians?

What if they do want to? Your argument is unbelievably ridiculous. On one hand you say, big bad gov't shouldn't tell people to take breaks during a long shift; on the other hand you say, gov't should make people work straight through even if they want to take a break. So, which is it, pal? Do you want gov't making rules for you, or not? You can't have it both ways.

If they want to take the hour, they should be able to.

If they want to take 20 minutes, they should be able to.

Do you agree, si o no?

We need government mandates to prevent businesses from overstepping their boundaries.
Without strong ones, business will WALK ALL OVER ANYONE in the way of higher profits.

People seem to think that rational self interests governs people. Hell no, GREED governs most people. And that means shitting on someone else to get ahead.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

If a worker wants the choice between taking a 15, 30, or 60 minute lunch i think they should have the option, you don't. There's not really an agreeable middle ground it seems.

That would make scheduling interesting and enough of a reason for corporations to oppose the option and have it mandatory one way or the other.

I've never worked anywhere where that would make scheduling difficult.

Maybe others have, I haven't.

And gov't mandates shouldn't be given just to make schedules easier to make.

Most of us work in a small business and understand a lunch break is something to run errands on. I come early most days and stay until close or when the customer leaves. That is reality.

Oh that is sooooo true.

Nothing worse than a guy at friday who doens't understand "be here by 4:00 because it takes almost 1.5 hours and I close at 5:30" and then he shows up at 4:30....you can't just turn him away, gotta earn that paycheck.

I've never in my life been denied a lunch break, nor have I ever known anyone who has been denied a lunch break. Now, to this day there are times when I get immersed in what I am doing and cannot go to lunch till later in the day.. it's just the way things go some times.

Sounds like more left wing crybaby bullshit over a non-issue.

Well, if it's never happened to you, then it OBVIOUSLY never happens to anyone!

I'm sure your anecdotal, unsupported opinion means something to you, but it's time for the adults to discuss things, so run along.

Discuss? You're just being a crybaby over a fucking lunch break.. what are you... 7?

No being a crybaby is rejecting empirical evidence in favor of what Rush Limbaugh tells you to think.

And I'm not talking about "a" lunch break, am I? No, I"m talking about EVERYONE'S LUNCH BREAK....don't think people have a say in that do you? Of course you don't. You think everyone should just shut up and do what business' tell them to do.
Funny how what you wouldn't STAND for in government, you suck up WILLINGLY from business.

Don't like government telling you what kind of car you can drive? Well, businesses only give you certain options too, don't they? I mean there were very few fuel efficient cars on the road before the early 70's...why was that? When fuel efficient cars were finally introduced, how popular where they? Why was business so slow and non-responsive and dare I say it, BUREAUCRATIC?

Know how I know I've won? When you reduce yourself to name calling.

Last edited:
Well, if it's never happened to you, then it OBVIOUSLY never happens to anyone!

I'm sure your anecdotal, unsupported opinion means something to you, but it's time for the adults to discuss things, so run along.

Discuss? You're just being a crybaby over a fucking lunch break.. what are you... 7?

No being a crybaby is rejecting empirical evidence in favor of what Rush Limbaugh tells you to think.

And I'm not talking about "a" lunch break, am I? No, I"m talking about EVERYONE'S LUNCH BREAK....don't think people have a say in that do you? Of course you don't. You think everyone should just shut up and do what business' tell them to do.
Funny how what you wouldn't STAND for in government, you suck up WILLINGLY from business.

Don't like government telling you what kind of car you can drive? Well, businesses only give you certain options too, don't they? I mean there were very few fuel efficient cars on the road before the early 70's...why was that? When fuel efficient cars were finally introduced, how popular where they? Why was business so slow and non-responsive and dare I say it, BUREAUCRATIC?

Know how I know I've won? When you reduce yourself to name calling.

Because gas was cheap in the 70's.

Now thanks in part to our facist gov't of reps and dems, fuel prices are through the roof, have been through the roof for awhile, and will remain through the roof.

Hence why the supply for fuel efficient cars has gone up, cuz demand has. Simple economics.

Oh that is sooooo true.

Nothing worse than a guy at friday who doens't understand "be here by 4:00 because it takes almost 1.5 hours and I close at 5:30" and then he shows up at 4:30....you can't just turn him away, gotta earn that paycheck.

...and often it is because the customer has to earn his/her living too.

Forum List

Back