How did the unemployment numbers drop .2 percent

Lovebears65

Gold Member
Apr 17, 2011
Georgia
When the jobs created in jan was 257,000 , and just the last week of Jan the unemployment claims were 377,000 for first time filers.. The numbers just dont add up for me..

here are the links..
Jobs created in Jan is 257,000

Stat of the Week: 257,000 New Private-Sector Jobs Created | InvestorPlace

People who applied for first time unemployment in the last week of Jan 26th 2012 is 377,000

First-time unemployment claims climb to 377,000 - Jan. 26, 2012

Adjusting for population growth we have lost 2.4 million jobs over the last 2 months. I have no idea how they are coming up with these numbers.

When the jobs created in jan was 257,000 , and just the last week of Jan the unemployment claims were 377,000 for first time filers.. The numbers just dont add up for me..

here are the links..

People who applied for first time unemployment in the last week of Jan 26th 2012 is 377,000

Adjusting for population growth we have lost 2.4 million jobs over the last 2 months. I have no idea how they are coming up with these numbers.

No, that's simply not true. We had a single benchmark adjustment - that had no impact on the unemployment rate. about a 1/2M jobs were created.

here are the links..

They quit counting people that no longer get unemployment.

here are the links..

Because "there are lies, damn lies, and statistics."

The real numbers are found in the U6 data...

"The U6 unemployment rate counts not only people without work seeking full-time employment (the more familiar U-3 rate), but also counts "marginally attached workers and those working part-time for economic reasons." Note that some of these part-time workers counted as employed by U-3 could be working as little as an hour a week. And the "marginally attached workers" include those who have gotten discouraged and stopped looking, but still want to work. The age considered for this calculation is 16 years and over"
Portal Seven | U6 Unemployment Rate

The actual unemployment rate is 15.1%
It was up to 16.4% last September.

I think the fact the the civilian labor force is at a 30 year low of 63.7 percent has something to do with it as well. Plus you have to account for the random way they try to figure out the seasonal adjustments but those are usually readjusted the other way come March and July. I dunno. It's way more complicated than just ONE number. It's the only the ONE number that matters in politics though. How we get there doesn't matter.

here are the links..

"The U6 unemployment rate counts not only people without work seeking full-time employment (the more familiar U-3 rate), but also counts "marginally attached workers and those working part-time for economic reasons." Note that some of these part-time workers counted as employed by U-3 could be working as little as an hour a week. And the "marginally attached workers" include those who have gotten discouraged and stopped looking, but still want to work. The age considered for this calculation is 16 years and over"

The problem with using U6 is that it was never used during the Bush Administration so people don't have a relative idea of what it should be that they can use as a comparison. This leads to people arguing over Bush having 5% unemployment and Obama having 15.1% because they don't realize it's two different measurements.

If you want to use U6, I'm on board. Just everyone should know it was over 10% in 2003 and 14.2% when Obama took office.

Let's be honest about it. The secretary of labor works at the pleasure of the president and it follows that the labor department and everyone else who make up the statistics have a vested interest in keeping their jobs even if it means fudging data. When you add the slavish support by almost the entire media and no investigation or even simple questioning of statistics you get "good news" about the administration all the time.

here are the links..

The problem with using U6 is that it was never used during the Bush Administration so people don't have a relative idea of what it should be that they can use as a comparison. This leads to people arguing over Bush having 5% unemployment and Obama having 15.1% because they don't realize it's two different measurements.

If you want to use U6, I'm on board. Just everyone should know it was over 10% in 2003 and 14.2% when Obama took office.

LOL!! Instant fucking classic!

'Booooosh!

Let's be honest about it. The secretary of labor works at the pleasure of the president and it follows that the labor department and everyone else who make up the statistics have a vested interest in keeping their jobs even if it means fudging data. When you add the slavish support by almost the entire media and no investigation or even simple questioning of statistics you get "good news" about the administration all the time.

Honestly, Labor is a massive bureaucracy of make-work jobs for federal entitlement collectors. When the thousands of statistics compilers do their 5 minutes of work each week, they do it according to the union manual.

I don't think the Sec. of Labor, or Lord Obama himself could alter what the sloths at labor report.

LOL!! Instant fucking classic!

'Booooosh!

Wow dude. I can't even mention his name in a historical context?

You need help.

The criteria for being counted was changed.

Exactly, they no longer count those that quit looking for work altogether. SO being that they did not count the 2 Million that completely dropped out of the work force last month it really should put the unemployment numbers up to around 9.3% or so.
Dont expect the left to understand, it doesn't fit their narrative right now.

here are the links..

Fine....except that it was 11.8 in October of '08, the end of the Bush term, and up to as much as 17% under Obama.

That means a 44% increase in unemployment under 'The One.'

Did you take a gander at the constant increase in unemployment as a result of the so- called "Stimulus"?

Fine....except that it was 11.8 in October of '08, the end of the Bush term, and up to as much as 17% under Obama.

That means a 44% increase in unemployment under 'The One.'

Did you take a gander at the constant increase in unemployment as a result of the so- called "Stimulus"?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buRO9TSlScQ]Joe Biden calls Jon Corzine for Advice Again - YouTube[/ame]

here are the links..

He spends more money than all previous administrations combined, with record deficits and our AAA bond rating gone...

He will have negative job growth in 4 years in the 2 MILL range...

Mortgage rates at 4% and housing still in the dumps...

Continued dependency on foreign oil...

I could go on, but it is too depressing...

But wait, it's still someone else's fault, he's so smart, how could he be this dumb, oh don't call him dumb, you're a racist scum bag if you do, you can't call the first half Black American POTUS anything negative or you're simply intolerant of the facts he inherited...

Please feel assured, the only candidate the MSM will exonerate is the scum bag POS who now occupies 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue...

Forum List

Back