Are Addicts Genetically Predestined to Being Addicts?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by JimBowie1958, Feb 3, 2012.

1. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,476
    Brains of addicts are inherently abnormal: study

It is interesting how the scientists doing the research see only two possibilities in explaining behavior: social environment or genetic predisposition; what ever happened to "moral choice"?

Or maybe there is only a predisposition to addiction and their behavvior cemented this predisposition by altering their brain even further by their behavior?

It has been shown that behavior affects brain development and shanges it even in adulthood over years of repeated behavior.

I feel very skeptical that the brain DETERMINES our behvaior, but only can stack the deck some so that we are more likely to follow in that direction.

But all of us always have a choice with each thing we do.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    I thought this was found long ago.

3. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,674
    That comes under social environment. No one is born with a fully fledged morality.

4. masquerade

masquerade positivity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I say no.

I firmly believe that we create every experience in our lives. Good, bad and everything in between. WE control our minds, our minds do not control us. WE choose what to think, our brain does not tell us what to think. For some though, being a victim is easier than making a 'moral choice' or claiming personal responsibility.

I also believe that our biography becomes our biology. In other words, our life choices affect our health. Emotional, psychological and physical stress contributes to the development of illness. So not only are we responsible for all experiences in our lives, we are also responsible for the creation of our health, good or bad.

5. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    I think people with a history of drug and substance abuse in their family do have a higher chance of falling into that themselves, for example if your father and mother were both coke heads, its probably a good idea to stay away from ALL drugs, even the buddha. If your father and grandfather were both raging alcoholics, its probably a good idea to stay off the sauce.

6. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,476
    But staying off the sauce is a choice, right?

I am not trying to pick an argument with you, but I have a family history of alcoholism, and I do love to get shit-faced drunk. But I dont do it nights prior to work, or drive after I get so fucked up.

And I only drink maybe three times in a month, if that.

But I am not an alcoholic and I can say no to a drink. Went 6 months without taking a single drink and can do it again any time I want.

I think some people need to hear that they can control their actions and therefore have responsibility to do so. To play this thing like our actions are determined by either society or genetics is presumptive and contrary to my experience.

7. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,476
    No one is born with a full fledged morality any more than they are born with a full fledged development of any sort.

But if the person is born in a morally neutral environment, the instinct to morality is still there and drives one toward a more moral behavior that can become fully mature in the most basic areas.

This is why almost every civilization from the Egyptians to the modern Japanese recognise the majority of a basic set of morality though they were not in contact with each other.

Morality is imprinted on the human heart and if we listen to it we can get moral issues right 90% of the time.

8. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    I believe that some people because of their family history may have a higher chance of being an alcoholic, drug addict etc etc but like you said it is a choice, if you know you have that kind of history you need to take more care when it comes to issues like drugs, alcohol etc, bottom line is every adult is reponsible for their own choices at the end of the day.

9. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    A high is a chemical reaction folks.

Peoples inherited chemical systems can effect their addiction.

Its fucking science and fact.

10. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,476
    Totally agree and admire the way you said it.