Apparently sexual assault just isn't that big a deal in Kentucky

Your deflection notwithstanding, it is irrelevant what the PD is attempting as a departmental policy. When a person suggests to a rape victim that the reason she was raped was because her shorts were too short, that is blaming the victim. And you're attempt to minimize his actions by "admitting" that he "poorly chose his words", is no different than justfying things like the riot at WVU a couple of weeks ago by reporting that they "got a little raucus".

No, he didn't "choose his words poorly"; he blamed the victim. Call it what it was.

Will this in any way impact the punishment of the offender?
Quite possibly. If the victim becomes convinced that she "got what she deserved", and decides not to press charges, that kind of affects the punishment of the offender, now doesn't it?
Is it a fact that it seems this perpetrator targets people in short clothing/showing leg?
Sure it is. And, after the fact of a rape, does pointing that out to the victim really serve a purpose?

So, we have a farm, you leave the barn door open, so that all of the horses run free. When I say to you, "You know, horses tend to escape through open doors," Am I educating you on how to prevent the horse, which have already escapred, from escaping, or am I just blaming you, and serving no real purpose?
Is the PD or this police officer less inclined to try to apprehend the perpetrator?

Blaming the victim has to result in some mitigation to the perpetrator, I don't see that happening here.
No, it doesn't. Blaming the victim has nothing to do with the perpetrator. It has the result of making the victim feel responsible for what happened to her.

So if warning women that a rapist is out there targeting women who dress a certain way and get drunk, If i inform them of this and tell them maybe they should watch out, I may be hurting their feelings, and should thus not warn them at all?
No, you shouldn't. Not if you are too stupid to recognize the difference between "Ladies, there is a rapist out there targeting women with what he views as 'short' skirts, so be careful," and "Well, don't you think that skirt is a little short, young lady?"

So one cop using poor language to express himself invalidates the whole premise of warning people? Remember I already said the cop used poor language to express himself.
No. Your either be too stupid to know the difference between warning people and blaming the victim, or your intentional attempt to excuse his actions by choosing verbiage to mitigate his effects, makes your premise that he was "only warning them of danger" invalid.

According to the article linked most of the incidents were groping....I wonder if they ever caught the perps.

Forum List

Back