APD: Think before you post

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
New social media policy for department

ALBUQUERQUE, NM (KRQE) - You have the right to remain silent.

A new policy by the Albuquerque Police Department means certain things its officers post on the internet can get them fired.

The top brass is tightening what officers can say and show when it comes to what they post on sites like Facebook and Twitter.

After a social media mishap where an APD officer recently involved in a fatal shooting listed his occupation as "human waste disposal", the new policy surfaced.

Officer Trey Economidy was put on desk duty after the controversial Facebook post and shooting.

Think before you post says APD | Albuquerque, N.M. | KRQE News 13

New social media policy for department

ALBUQUERQUE, NM (KRQE) - You have the right to remain silent.

A new policy by the Albuquerque Police Department means certain things its officers post on the internet can get them fired.

The top brass is tightening what officers can say and show when it comes to what they post on sites like Facebook and Twitter.

After a social media mishap where an APD officer recently involved in a fatal shooting listed his occupation as "human waste disposal", the new policy surfaced.

Officer Trey Economidy was put on desk duty after the controversial Facebook post and shooting.

Think before you post says APD | Albuquerque, N.M. | KRQE News 13

Just from reading your post, not the article, the comment about "Human Waste Disposal" is very inappropriate and if Officer Economidy did post that, the department needed to take some action. He identified himself as an employee of the department which shines negative light upon the department itself.

Immie

• Banned
Apparently he had that comment posted on his facebook page before the shooting happened. It just came to light afterward.

The new policy states they can't post anything that makes APD look bad or that identifies them as an officer without permission. "Good and possitive comments and pictures can be posted without approval"...per the Abq police officers union.

At any rate this policy is coming to law enforcement country wide

Last edited:
Apparently he had that comment posted on his facebook page before the shooting happened. It just came to light afterward.

The new policy states they can't post anything that makes APD look bad or that identifies them as an officer without permission. "Good and possitive comments and pictures can be posted without approval"...per the Abq police officers union.

At any rate this policy is comming to law enforcement country wide

I'm not saying I support the policy, but I can in some ways see the point of the Department. Such statements can reflect badly upon the department as a whole and might even lead to another officer being wounded or killed in the line of duty such as if the statement were denigrating to a particular race. Note: I am not saying this post was racial in any way.

I can imagine that if an employee of say GM (just choosing a well known company) were to post on line that he was an employee of the company and the cars produced by GM were pieces of shit, I suspect he would be disciplined as well.

Immie

The bank where I worked had a similar rule in place as far back as 1998. You couldn't post that you were employed by big bank on the internet, and you could not imply that your opinions were the opinions of big bank.

I am surprised that this is so late getting to this guy.

• Banned
Policies about internet speech are pretty common. We have one at my place of employment. I have read stories though, where in court some of them don't hold up.

Three specific reasons I saw listed online where...

•Review your own Internet or blogging policy to make sure it is not overly broad.

•Don’t put policies in place that broadly prohibit all employee discussions about the company. Policies should focus on prohibiting communication that violates the employer’s other policies or harms the business, such as discussions about any confidential business information and the like.

•Don’t use the policy to discipline an employee for taking part in an activity that is protected, like complaining about discriminatory or unfair treatment.

Last edited:
Anyone that makes their employer look bad deserves to be fired.

Dagnamit! We can't be seen as agreeing with each other under any circumstances. It will ruin your reputation. Don't do that to yourself. :lol:

Immie

Not an uncommon policy. So in Police terms, move along...nothing to see here.

Of course not. Draw a line people will cross it or don't think it applies to them, whatever.

To me...the original post the officer made seemed kind of tongue -n- cheek. Maybe the type of comment a lot of us have made not thinking how it would be taken. Intent is hard to read on the internet sometimes. Anyway...do you think certain Jobs/roles (such as police officers) should be held to a higher standards?

And seeing as how employers now have access into employees personal lives via the internet. Do you think employees at any company that have them in place are now being held to unreasonably strict standards,that are maybe too big brotherish?

I know at my work they audit emails,internet access and sometimes phone calls.

To me...the original post the officer made seemed kind of tongue -n- cheek. Maybe the type of comment a lot of us have made not thinking how it would be taken. Intent is hard to read on the internet sometimes. Anyway...do you think certain Jobs/roles (such as police officers) should be held to a higher standards?

And seeing as how employers now have access into employees personal lives via the internet. Do you think employees at any company that have them in place are now being held to unreasonably strict standards,that are maybe too big brotherish?

For starters, you need another job ;) :lol:

Seriously though, I think alot depends on how long the policy has been in effect as to the Officer's knowledge. Do I think it is harsh, Yes. But zero tolerance is zero tolerance.

For starters, you need another job ;) :lol:

Seriously though, I think alot depends on how long the policy has been in effect as to the Officer's knowledge. Do I think it is harsh, Yes. But zero tolerance is zero tolerance.

Tell me about it LOL

I understand zero tolerance. I don't think the policy has been in place at APD until this incident though. ( I could be wrong).

Just wondered what everyone thought about such strict internet rules in the work place in general.

I can't post certain things per my employers request.
Not a problem for me, I agree with what they don't want us posting, and I don't blame them.

Forum List

Back