Apartment scrap gardens

Unless you live in a place that never gets below freezing, good luck getting that pineapple to produce fruit again. We had one my mom started for about a dozen years and it never fruited again. They are not cold-hardy so you have to over winter them indoors. They make interesting plants. I have a couple now that are about 2 years old, but they are not for eating.

Unless you live in a place that never gets below freezing, good luck getting that pineapple to produce fruit again. We had one my mom started for about a dozen years and it never fruited again. They are not cold-hardy so you have to over winter them indoors. They make interesting plants. I have a couple now that are about 2 years old, but they are not for eating.

Same with avocados.

Darn it.

But lots of other veggies will grow nicely with very little space.

Same with avocados.

Darn it.

Some will if you have good light for them, but in an apartment you are generally very limited into how much you can grow even if you are doing it on racks with grow lights.

Space isn't an issue at all for me, but I still grow outside with high density planting because it 1) helps keep weeds down 2) maximizes the effectiveness of watering and 3) means I do not have to walk as far to harvest or maintain the crops. It also helps a little, though not perfectly, in keeping the deer at bay to keep as much as possible right around the house. Plus it makes it kind of interesting to tinker around with figuring out how to maximize use of small spaces. For instance, I have a couple roughly 4X3 beds at each end of my clothesline I made just by cutting up some large limbs to use as the border and backfilling. I built them there really to make it easier to mow without having to come back in and weedeat around the posts. In that small space I have lima beans trained running up the post, lettuce growing on the interior sides, asparagus and strawberries and egg plants in the bulk of the beds. Then on the posts themselves I have hanging baskets that have herbs and veg in them.

It kind of annoys me when people with yards say they don't have enough room to grow any of their own food. Even in a small lot, just running a 3 foot deep bed along the perimeter leaves you plenty of grass space and allows you to grow a surprising lot of food if you just do some site prep. Add a say 2 foot wide bed around the sides of your house and along the back You can even mix in flowers so that most people who look at it won;t even realize that most of the green they see is food. You can eve mix in some containers here and there in the beds to make it appear more interesting.

Same with avocados.

Darn it.

Some will if you have good light for them, but in an apartment you are generally very limited into how much you can grow even if you are doing it on racks with grow lights.

Space isn't an issue at all for me, but I still grow outside with high density planting because it 1) helps keep weeds down 2) maximizes the effectiveness of watering and 3) means I do not have to walk as far to harvest or maintain the crops. It also helps a little, though not perfectly, in keeping the deer at bay to keep as much as possible right around the house. Plus it makes it kind of interesting to tinker around with figuring out how to maximize use of small spaces. For instance, I have a couple roughly 4X3 beds at each end of my clothesline I made just by cutting up some large limbs to use as the border and backfilling. I built them there really to make it easier to mow without having to come back in and weedeat around the posts. In that small space I have lima beans trained running up the post, lettuce growing on the interior sides, asparagus and strawberries and egg plants in the bulk of the beds. Then on the posts themselves I have hanging baskets that have herbs and veg in them.

It kind of annoys me when people with yards say they don't have enough room to grow any of their own food. Even in a small lot, just running a 3 foot deep bed along the perimeter leaves you plenty of grass space and allows you to grow a surprising lot of food if you just do some site prep. Add a say 2 foot wide bed around the sides of your house and along the back You can even mix in flowers so that most people who look at it won;t even realize that most of the green they see is food. You can eve mix in some containers here and there in the beds to make it appear more interesting.

I always wonder why people will put so much space in growing a lawn and even poison their own land with various chemicals. Why not grow things you can eat?

We also have plenty of space and grow quite a bit. What we don't grow, we get from the Mennonites and farmer's market.

We're lucky that we have a YUGE patch of wild blueberries and are just beyond delicious but I just came across this -

10 Thing You Need to Know to Grow Blueberries in Pots

Last edited:

Forum List

Back