Anybody read advice columns?

When I was a child I read them quite often. Dear Abby and her sister Ann Landers as well. A lot of reading went on in our house. I was quite angry until I learned to read. I did not like looking at ink splots that made no sense while everyone else was clearly enjoying themselves. :eusa_think: :cranky:

And my father taught me. :razz:

Regarding the link. Deaths of grand/parents often yield heartache.

Last edited:
  • Banned
When I was a child I read them quite often. Dear Abby and her sister Ann Landers as well. A lot of reading went on in our house. I was quite angry until I learned to read. I did not like looking at ink splots that made no sense while everyone else was clearly enjoying themselves. :eusa_think: :cranky:

That was well above and beyond a death, and heartache. It was a deliberate, horrible act against a sibling. What kind of a sick bastard lies like that.

Well. I mean, outside of my family, and obviously that of the author.

What was your opinion of the letter I posted?

If i were to guess, there is more family dynamic here then meets the eye. I would further guess that there is money involved.

In my opinion you do not need to be at any funeral, or service to give YOUR final respects.

• Banned

If i were to guess, there is more family dynamic here then meets the eye. I would further guess that there is money involved.

In my opinion you do not need to be at any funeral, or service to give YOUR final respects.

Of course. Further - that is not the point. No one sibling or siblings should keep another from the funeral of their mother. My mother just died in February. My sister and I were only told because my BIL told her brother, who told us. Else we would be in the shoes of the author.

Of course. Further - that is not the point. No one sibling or siblings should keep another from the funeral of their mother. My mother just died in February. My sister and I were only told because my BIL told her brother, who told us. Else we would be in the shoes of the author.

Just like any party..... if you pay for it you are the one to make up the invite list. So yes they do the "right" to keep anyone they want out. Funerals are NOT for the dead... they are for the living.

That was well above and beyond a death, and heartache. It was a deliberate, horrible act against a sibling. What kind of a sick bastard lies like that.

Well. I mean, outside of my family, and obviously that of the author.

Everyone lies. It's a human characteristic. Some take it deeper. It is an advice column so it is within the realm of possibility that this one side is exaggerating/minimizing somewhat.

Just like any party..... if you pay for it you are the one to make up the invite list. So yes they do the "right" to keep anyone they want out. Funerals are NOT for the dead... they are for the living.

Ethically, unless a person has committed some grevious act, this is the wrong thing to do. It should go without saying that family members be informed and invited to these sorts of functions. Abby was correct on both counts.

Ethically, unless a person has committed some grevious act, this is the wrong thing to do. It should go without saying that family members be informed and invited to these sorts of functions. Abby was correct on both counts.

I took her advice. The last time I saw those three (father, sister, BIL) was the day of the funeral. Life is so much sweeter without the toxics in it.

That is what i was saying... i think there is more to that story then the one side. We don't know if there was some grevioius act committed or not. Not all family dynamics are happy and good.

I have a friend who could do a kickass Miss Manners.

I'd love to do a Ms PC. How to NOT be a racist, misogynist, homophobic, right wing ass. LOVE the new avie, BTW.

I'm going avie free for the time being.

Last edited:
A telling insight into the human condition. Dysfunctional, as the letter suggests.

People can be so damn thoughtless and cruel, even to their own families.
As the world turns...

Exactly. And even when it happens to them, they still pull the same shit!

My dad feared my uncle wouldn't tell him when his mom died. My uncle did, and they had a rare conciliatory moment. His brother said to let him know when my mom passes, so he could pay his respects. Dildad said he would, but then didn't.

I tried to tell him what my brother-in-law was doing (keeping us from my mother in her final years), but he refused to believe it. So - now it's on him. They'll probably run through all his money but wtf. That's what he signed on for.

Life's too short for all this malarkey.

Forum List

Back