anybody like 7 string metal?

^ nice axe :cool:

I got a 2000 ish Squire Stagemaster w/ Floyd Rose. Its basically a 6 string w/ a low B at the top. Other guitars have diff string gauge I guess. I saw a newer one, by a diff company, referred to as a "Baritone" 7 string.

Last edited:
all the kids these days want to play 8 string like Tosin Abasi. Some people call them "extended range" guitars as well

7 string is more than enough for me given I'm new at playing & my hands aren't that big anyway.

Last edited:
all the kids these days want to play 8 string like Tosin Abasi. Some people call them "extended range" guitars as well

7 string is more than enough for me given I'm new at playing & my hands aren't that big anyway.

As a non-musician, what matters to me is what comes out the ass end.

I'm all ears.

I like that OP, BTW. :thup:

Never needed a 7th or 8th string for Solo style. At that point, you make friends with a bass player.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI7DpkrRI8U]Norwegian Wood - The Beatles - Fingerstyle Guitar - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkpZ645ztl0]Betcha Can't Play This - Chris Broderick (Megadeth) - YouTube[/ame]

this is a six string but...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1baem_h-vxc&list=PL4423D055D3E45806]Betcha Can't Play This - YouTube[/ame]

its just "extended range" IF you want to use the strings. The fret board radius is way diff, thats for sure. Seems more flat. Prolly has to be that way to reach across that chasm

I have a six string that I will go back to after practicing w/ a seven string some more.

I heard that a guitar amp is not designed to carry those low notes as well. They prolly have specially voiced cabs to carry the low end right?

its just "extended range" IF you want to use the strings. The fret board radius is way diff, thats for sure. Seems more flat. Prolly has to be that way to reach across that chasm

I have a six string that I will go back to after practicing w/ a seven string some more.

I heard that a guitar amp is not designed to carry those low notes as well. They prolly have specially voiced cabs to carry the low end right?

Your typical practice amp doesn't have a prayer of handling 8 and maybe not 7 strings at the fundamental frequencies. You gotta move a lot more air.. Meaning bigger cones.. Even if you have tone knobs, it's not gonna help. You're right, for performance you'd want a sep. amp and cabs.

But I've toyed with 7 string and it's more about the OVERTONES.. Even with the fundamental Bass notes gone --- there's STILL stuff there. So you will hear 7 or 8 just fine. Just won't have the same air pulse of a true Bass setup.

I occasionally used a 12 string when I was playing in a band. Had a SLIGHTLY wider grip to the neck. But the problem was that they DONT WIDEN those necks because you don't use 12 strings for much lead playing.. So the strings were REALLY close. And it was painful because the grooves and callouses in your fingers weren't in the right place if you didn't play it regularly..

I can get fatter sounds on my USA made 6 string Teles and Strats than most 7 string, Asian made cheapo guitars. If needed, I have the analog pedals and amp with alnico speaker that get take it even lower. Never even heard a cool riff from "metal" players that utilize the low B. That chugging doesn't count.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back