Anybody else done with Dr. Who?

Nice to see you brought the Toxic male fandom.

Actually, the fact that she was female had very little to do with the show's problems, because it rarely came up. You could have had a male actor in those same stories, and it wouldn't have made a whit of difference. She wasn't feminine, you didn't have male characters hitting on her, nor did she show any interest in men (as opposed to the male doctors since Eccleston, who showed interest in women.)

Peter Capaldi was a huge fan of the show and appreciated the role. Yet his Doctor wasn't well received by the fans either. Part of this was that he came off as too rough, part of it was that fans had gotten used to younger actors playing the Doctor. (Capaldi was the oldest actor to play the Doctor since William Hartnell, the original Doctor.)

The real problem was that they didn't have very good stories. The first season contained no classic villains, and the "new" ones they introduced just weren't very interesting. The second season, they brought back the Daleks, the Cybermen and the Master, but they didn't do anything interesting with them.

Particular note is the Master. A great character who has been around since the 1970's, with every Doctor encountering a version of him. Previously, they gender swapped the Master into "Missy", played by the incomparable Michelle Gomez, and she was kind of awesome, giving a whole new dimension to what could have been a stale character.

Nope. They brought back the Master as a male again, and frankly, he was boring.
Sarah Jane shatters your Theory. Clara had the makings of Capaldi's STRONG Companion but somehow they just didn't make it.

Greg

wXdB5cf.jpeg

I understand your sentiment BUT I am older than you. Peter Cushing did a good job as did some of the early ones. I quite liked Tennant and Eccleston but where would they have been without a strong Companion...and don't get me started on Ami (Karen :love_ya4:Gillam)....without humour there is no Dr Who.

Greg

Technically, Peter Cushing's version isn't "canon". He just remade the William Hartnell Dalek stories, but they didn't quite work because his personality was different.

You do hit on a key point, though. A big problem is that she doesn't have strong companions. She has three one-note planks of wood.

The purpose of a companion is to act as an audience surrogate. They ask the questions we would ask if we were there.

Sarah Jane shatters your Theory. Clara had the makings of Capaldi's STRONG Companion but somehow they just didn't make it.

Greg

Not sure what Sarah Jane has to do with anything I said.

I do think she was an exceptionally strong companion, judging by how often they brought her back or tried to give her her own spinoff show. Definitely a fan favorite.

As for Clara... I thought she was okay paired off against Matt Smith (Day of the Doctor was a high-water mark for the series), but the later episodes, she became a bit annoying.

Technically, Peter Cushing's version isn't "canon". He just remade the William Hartnell Dalek stories, but they didn't quite work because his personality was different.

You do hit on a key point, though. A big problem is that she doesn't have strong companions. She has three one-note planks of wood.

The purpose of a companion is to act as an audience surrogate. They ask the questions we would ask if we were there.
I suppose it's a matter of taking it at face value...it's either "funny" and dramatic or it isn't. I'm afraid the latest Doc just wasn't amusing.

Greg

Not sure what Sarah Jane has to do with anything I said.

I do think she was an exceptionally strong companion, judging by how often they brought her back or tried to give her her own spinoff show. Definitely a fan favorite.

As for Clara... I thought she was okay paired off against Matt Smith (Day of the Doctor was a high-water mark for the series), but the later episodes, she became a bit annoying.
Yep; just didn't work. The scripts maybe? They were frankly "highly variable".

Sarah Jane made me laugh a lot; she was just such a girl....and a damn strong one when the occasion demanded.

Greg

I think she's kind of dull, but I think it's the writing more than the actress.

I've seen Whitaker in other things, and she's just fine.
Not an actress I recall at all. I'm not a TV or movie watcher these days...unless they're old.

Greg

Greg
Clara was definitely the most attractive IMO, and Gillam was a much stronger character after she left the series.

For strong, Sarah Jane all the way.
(she even got her own series out of it)

Even if I hadn't walked out on this SJW apparatus, I hear JW was a train wreck anyhow.
I never watched one episode with her.

IIRC, JW was another one of those actors who had no clue about the subject matter being taken on; HOW ICONIC?! I don't think she ever watched it in the past! The writing gave her the convo skills and cadance of speech to continue annoying everyone out there that are probably thinking, "TMI!" It was hard to watch, but I gave it a chance! It was enough to see the Doctor exist out in space & then put on a suit upon reentry to Earth, but they actually had Whitaker crash landing without even that in her 1st ep.! I guess the transformation needed from that made her a woman! I knew it was a possibiity in the future since production had already utilized that plotline changing the sex of the Master and a Gallifreyan general! :(

- - Children Of Rassilon - -

Last edited:

Forum List

Back