Anybody else done with Dr. Who?

Discussion in 'TV Forum' started by TheGreatGatsby, Aug 14, 2017.

1. TheGreatGatsby

TheGreatGatsby Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,622
    My argument was figurative in case you hadn't gathered that. Observational as well. This is not a secret either; only hacks are denying it.

2. TheGreatGatsby

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,622
    I can't one hundred percent say I'm done with it. But I do believe I'm done with it. Changing the fabric of the show for politics is abhorrent; besides that, shows tend to become sh** when they do that, anyways. The Late Show With David Letterman is a prime example. He went from a zest for life type of guy to a crotchety curmudgeon / triggered twat virtually overnight.

3. TheGreatGatsby

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,622
    By established, you mean they announced it this season. No, that's not Dr. Who; it never was.

The fabric of the show matters. You dismiss it to play politics, you have no integrity. It's disrespectful to the fans. I was watching a story arch, not a glorified version of CNN.

4. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,345
    Um. Okay. You do realize there was an episode where they split Kirk into two separate entities, right? The one where Riker was split into two entities was actually better.

I'm mostly happy with the DW reboot. I didn't care for Eccelston, but Iike Tennant, Smith and Capaldi and I'm willing to give an open mind to Whittaker.

I liked Blake's Seven, except for the ending where they did a big FU to the audience. (Spoilers).

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,345
    Do you have any figures to back that up?

Never mind, I'll do your research for you.

GLAAD - Where We Are on TV Report - 2016

Of the 895 series regular characters expected to appear on broadcast scripted primetime programming in the coming year, 43 (4.8%) were identified as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and queer. This is the highest percentage of LGBTQ series regulars GLAAD has ever found.

Um, 4.8% of characters? Given that 10% of the population is LGBT, that's really not a huge amount.

6. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,345
    Actually, the first mention of Time Lords being able to change gender was at the end of Season 4, when the Doctor regenerated from David Tenant to Matt Smith, and he remarks, "I'm a Girl!" and then grabs his Adams apple and realizes he's still male. This was in 2010.

in Series 6, when the Doctor mentioned another Time Lord named "The Corsair" who had changed genders during the time the Doctor had known him/her.

And obviously, you have the Master (a long established character) regenerating into a female form in Season 8, which was in 2014. The previously established character of the General regenerated into a woman in Season 9, which was in 2015. So your argument that it wasn't established until this season shows a lack of knowledge of the show's lore.

I don't see how that changes the "Fabric" of the show. I think what bothers you is that it will change the dynamic. Before it was mostly female companions asking the dumb questions and needing to be saved by a male doctor. They really haven't announced companions yet, so we can assume the next companion is going to be male. It hurts their masculinity if a woman saves them?

Now, there's a lot of reasons why this could be a mess. Whitakker might not be up to the role, it's actually a tough character to play, and we've had some awful actors in it. (Anyone else remember Colin Baker?)

It might also be that they have run out of ideas. HOw many times can the Daleks or Cybermen show up and still be interesting?

Your problem seems to be that you are terribly upset that it's a woman to start with, not that this may or may not be the best actor for the role.

7. Fiero425

Fiero425 Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +530
    We were lucky to get that last season and a finale altogether! They didn't return for taping on schedule; actually an extra 6 months went by before they rapped things up with that finale that was one of the best IMO! A friend warned me ahead of time, but it was still a shock and emotional to me anyway! I still get a little verklempt thinking about it and seeing it I become a puddle! Like Darrow, I always thought there was a chance they could do a reboot; heaven knows the radio-cast of "Logic Of Empire" gave them a storyline of the resistance breaking Avon out of a dungeon after 12 years of imprisonment! Remember, ORAC was still out there; ya just had all kinds of possibilities! "The Mark Of Kane" also explained where Blake and Jenna were all that time after "Star One!" I saw AD pictures and a clip of a re-boot 15 years ago, but it didn't go anywhere! Darrow tried his hardest, but it just wasn't to be! :crybaby: :bowdown: :clap2: :rolleyes:

- - - - Logic of Empire (4 parts)

- - - - The Mark Of Kane (4 parts)

8. TheGreatGatsby

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,622
    And how many of those "straight" or otherwise non sexually identified characters are played by persons who are obviously gay? Yea, your misleading numbers don't mean sh**. Big surprise.

9. TheGreatGatsby

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,622
    That was a joke, bro. Nice try.

10. TheGreatGatsby

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,622
    It wasn't quite a concern even on my radar. But yea, I'm the SJWs love to belittle masculinity like this.