Any righties on the 3rd Coast wanna tell me how great oil is?

(I mean this not as a slight to 3rd coast righties - but a slight to all other
righties)

I've noticed that numerous right wingers have taken this wonderful opportunity to extol on the virtues of oil in the midst of an economic and environmental oil caused catastrophe. BTW guys, brilliant timing!

The interesting thing is I've noticed that so far no righties from the 3rd coast have done so.

Why is that?

:razz: Fear not, ye of little knowledge... tis not oil, tis merely chocolate syrup, arriving, bringing to fruition Mayor Nagin's promise of New Orleans becoming a "Chocolate City" - once again.

(I mean this not as a slight to 3rd coast righties - but a slight to all other
righties)

I've noticed that numerous right wingers have taken this wonderful opportunity to extol on the virtues of oil in the midst of an economic and environmental oil caused catastrophe. BTW guys, brilliant timing!

The interesting thing is I've noticed that so far no righties from the 3rd coast have done so.

Why is that?

I live close to the Gulf, and used to be stationed in Bilioxi. Not sure what relevance that has to do with the oil spill though.

But I for one think oil is great. It feeds my oil guzzling rotary sports car.

Now, I am sure that won't stop you from vilifying a 100% natural substance. Carry-on dipshit.

I haven't vilified anything except the idiots who paint everything in black and white and believe we either must give up all oil and go back to the dark ages - or - simply live with massive disasters like this as a way of life.

It couldn't possibly be more complex than that. Its not like this accident had a cause, I'm sure its just a random occurence.

I'm sure that when people first proposed that it be illegal to dump your waste oil on the ground, you would have been standing up accusing them all of being hypocrites since they use oil.

Sure is more complex than that. We're now learning BP gave Obama a lot of money, and got exempt from certain environmental studies in return. But hey, lets ignore that and blame all your political enemies!

The decision by the department's Minerals Management Service (MMS) to give BP's lease at Deepwater Horizon a "categorical exclusion" from the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) on April 6, 2009 -- and BP's lobbying efforts just 11 days before the explosion to expand those exemptions -- show that neither federal regulators nor the company anticipated an accident of the scale of the one unfolding in the gulf.

washingtonpost.com

Any 3rd coasters wanna pipe up on this one? Or is it just those that have nothing at stake in this matter except the continued production of oil for their enjoyment and convenience that wanna extol on the virtues of oil?

Why is that?

Anyone who makes a comment like that can't even be taken seriously. You apparently have no comprehension of what you're talking about. Do you use fuel or energy of any kind? Do you purchase and use products from any store? Are you completely independant of society for any needs? Unless you can say no to all of those questions, you have no grounds to even make the kind of comment you did above.

So I take it by your defensive response, you have nothing at stake in this oil spill matter?

why cant you answer their questions Maynard?....what do you use every day that is there in some way because of the damned oil?....and are you going to stop using them?......i sure as hell aint.....

The right doesn't want to "come together" - their #1 goal is to keep America divided.

and of course the left is the party of togetherness....give us a fucking break will ya....if you cant see the same shit going on in the left.....then you Tuba are one naive moron....Rdean needs people like you...

As a conservative, I also do my duty of creating minority killing hurricanes, dispensing mercury and arsenic into water supplies near schools, introduce crack into minority neighborhoods, take money from seasoned citizens, beating up gays periodically, make threatening gestures at rallies and sometimes I even spit on creeps in congress.

Just doing my part.

and we thank you for that....

I live close to the Gulf, and used to be stationed in Bilioxi. Not sure what relevance that has to do with the oil spill though.

But I for one think oil is great. It feeds my oil guzzling rotary sports car.

Now, I am sure that won't stop you from vilifying a 100% natural substance. Carry-on dipshit.

I haven't vilified anything except the idiots who paint everything in black and white and believe we either must give up all oil and go back to the dark ages - or - simply live with massive disasters like this as a way of life.

It couldn't possibly be more complex than that. Its not like this accident had a cause, I'm sure its just a random occurence.

I'm sure that when people first proposed that it be illegal to dump your waste oil on the ground, you would have been standing up accusing them all of being hypocrites since they use oil.

Sure is more complex than that. We're now learning BP gave Obama a lot of money, and got exempt from certain environmental studies in return. But hey, lets ignore that and blame all your political enemies!

The decision by the department's Minerals Management Service (MMS) to give BP's lease at Deepwater Horizon a "categorical exclusion" from the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) on April 6, 2009 -- and BP's lobbying efforts just 11 days before the explosion to expand those exemptions -- show that neither federal regulators nor the company anticipated an accident of the scale of the one unfolding in the gulf.

washingtonpost.com

Wow. If that's true...just wow. BO should be afraid of the retribution.

washingtonpost.com

Wow. If that's true...just wow. BO should be afraid of the retribution.

Exactly.:clap2:

And this is why He's circling the wagons in Washington, where everyone's hoping if they say, "Its ALL BP's Responsibility" enough times, no one will question the role of DOI, and their MISSION STATEMENT: Protecting the Natural Resources of the USA.

I am constantly amazed everytime a disaster happens at the sheer number of people who seem to use the disaster itself as reasoning to condemn the entire industry. To advocate for no oil production in the Gulf as a reuslt of this tragic spill is to advocate purchasing even more oil from the Middle east thus giving nations that do not have our best interests at heart even more financial means to purchase weapons and develop technology to kill more American(s) on the battlefield and innocent civilians. How do you think Hamas, Hezebollah, Al-Queda, and a whole host of others buy thosee SCUDS, AK-47's , RPGs', IEDs. rockets, etc. You think they are given to them? No they are purchased with the same money that Americans and other western nations provide as a result of our thirst for Middle Eastern Oil. So stop and think a moment , while it is a very tragic spill in terms of a eco-system and economy for the region it can be overcome and with the proper application of procedures in place averted in the future. I'm sorry folks, but there are simpky not enough electric cars or solar powered ones to go around as of yet, so your stuck with oil for a while and the prudent thing to do is to make the best of it.

I dont think we should stop using oil ...I just think that more regulations are needed...and that events like this prove it. Dont want to regulate them out of existence, but we do need to regulate them into safer methods.

Will it ever be 100% safe? Of course not. Well everything be predictable? Hellz to the no. But when you find out that certain safety measures weren't taken...it doesnt take a genius to know additional measures = cost and no business is going to voluntarily police itself very well.

I dont think we should stop using oil ...I just think that more regulations are needed...and that events like this prove it. Dont want to regulate them out of existence, but we do need to regulate them into safer methods.

Will it ever be 100% safe? Of course not. Well everything be predictable? Hellz to the no. But when you find out that certain safety measures weren't taken...it doesnt take a genius to know additional measures = cost and no business is going to voluntarily police itself very well.

Yea, whose policing Washington and the creeps in power. Industry has been regulated to death in this country by low life politicians without a clue, they have also been sued to death by politically backed attorneys........ why do you think that all of the jobs that were done here are gone?

More regulation? Like what? A regulation of every possible or conceivable thing that could go wrong? That can never be attained no matter what the professional bureaucrats tell you.

It never has worked to do anything other than make a bigger and ever more inoperable government. Legislators whose job it is to make laws, tell you we need more laws..... How can you not see a problem with that?

Of course they want more regulation, violations of those regulations result in fines they collect on our behalf. The average state and federal tax on gasoline at the end of 2009 was 50.8 cents per gallon, that does not include the fact some states charge a sales tax on top of that, nor does it reflect any county, or local taxes....

With all the gasoline bought everyday, that is a lot of money.... Who gets that money? Well they say its for various things, but the simple truth is it goes to the government to do with as it sees fit. Want to get your bill passed that will make you a household name or help your largest campaign contributor? Then the PR mill will want to be paid. Want that new highway named after an astronaut in your state? Well again it costs money.

A government whose business to create laws and legislation will always want more laws and regulation. The problem not all of that regulation is necessary or even helps, many times all it does is increase revenue for its own sake.

More regulation? Like what? A regulation of every possible or conceivable thing that could go wrong? That can never be attained no matter what the professional bureaucrats tell you.

It never has worked to do anything other than make a bigger and ever more inoperable government. Legislators whose job it is to make laws, tell you we need more laws..... How can you not see a problem with that?

Of course they want more regulation, violations of those regulations result in fines they collect on our behalf. The average state and federal tax on gasoline at the end of 2009 was 50.8 cents per gallon, that does not include the fact some states charge a sales tax on top of that, nor does it reflect any county, or local taxes....

With all the gasoline bought everyday, that is a lot of money.... Who gets that money? Well they say its for various things, but the simple truth is it goes to the government to do with as it sees fit. Want to get your bill passed that will make you a household name or help your largest campaign contributor? Then the PR mill will want to be paid. Want that new highway named after an astronaut in your state? Well again it costs money.

A government whose business to create laws and legislation will always want more laws and regulation. The problem not all of that regulation is necessary or even helps, many times all it does is increase revenue for its own sake.

Does regulation = fines = money to be wasted by government? Yep.

Does regulation = more protection = fewer disasters? Yep.

There's got to be some common sense and middle ground here.

The idea that oil companies are victims in all this is LAUGHABLE. Not because I necessarily think of that industry as evil. Nope. I like driving my expensive sports car. But because they make more than enough money and have more than enough market autonomy to make up for all the controls.

I've seen in other threads people list precautions that could have been taken and other changes that would have stopped this.

Misuse of fines is a SEPARATE ISSUE from whether regulation is necessary. Sorry but it is.

Forum List

Back