Any righties on the 3rd Coast wanna tell me how great oil is?

I dont think we should stop using oil ...I just think that more regulations are needed...and that events like this prove it. Dont want to regulate them out of existence, but we do need to regulate them into safer methods.

Will it ever be 100% safe? Of course not. Well everything be predictable? Hellz to the no. But when you find out that certain safety measures weren't taken...it doesnt take a genius to know additional measures = cost and no business is going to voluntarily police itself very well.

What certain safety measures weren't taken and where is the evidence of this?

I dont think we should stop using oil ...I just think that more regulations are needed...and that events like this prove it. Dont want to regulate them out of existence, but we do need to regulate them into safer methods.

Will it ever be 100% safe? Of course not. Well everything be predictable? Hellz to the no. But when you find out that certain safety measures weren't taken...it doesnt take a genius to know additional measures = cost and no business is going to voluntarily police itself very well.

More regulation? Like what? A regulation of every possible or conceivable thing that could go wrong? That can never be attained no matter what the professional bureaucrats tell you.

It never has worked to do anything other than make a bigger and ever more inoperable government. Legislators whose job it is to make laws, tell you we need more laws..... How can you not see a problem with that?

Of course they want more regulation, violations of those regulations result in fines they collect on our behalf. The average state and federal tax on gasoline at the end of 2009 was 50.8 cents per gallon, that does not include the fact some states charge a sales tax on top of that, nor does it reflect any county, or local taxes....

With all the gasoline bought everyday, that is a lot of money.... Who gets that money? Well they say its for various things, but the simple truth is it goes to the government to do with as it sees fit. Want to get your bill passed that will make you a household name or help your largest campaign contributor? Then the PR mill will want to be paid. Want that new highway named after an astronaut in your state? Well again it costs money.

A government whose business to create laws and legislation will always want more laws and regulation. The problem not all of that regulation is necessary or even helps, many times all it does is increase revenue for its own sake.

Does regulation = fines = money to be wasted by government? Yep.

Does regulation = more protection = fewer disasters? Yep.

There's got to be some common sense and middle ground here.

The idea that oil companies are victims in all this is LAUGHABLE. Not because I necessarily think of that industry as evil. Nope. I like driving my expensive sports car. But because they make more than enough money and have more than enough market autonomy to make up for all the controls.

I've seen in other threads people list precautions that could have been taken and other changes that would have stopped this.

Misuse of fines is a SEPARATE ISSUE from whether regulation is necessary. Sorry but it is.

There is no guarantee that more regulations = fewer disasters.

More regulation? Like what? A regulation of every possible or conceivable thing that could go wrong? That can never be attained no matter what the professional bureaucrats tell you.

It never has worked to do anything other than make a bigger and ever more inoperable government. Legislators whose job it is to make laws, tell you we need more laws..... How can you not see a problem with that?

Of course they want more regulation, violations of those regulations result in fines they collect on our behalf. The average state and federal tax on gasoline at the end of 2009 was 50.8 cents per gallon, that does not include the fact some states charge a sales tax on top of that, nor does it reflect any county, or local taxes....

With all the gasoline bought everyday, that is a lot of money.... Who gets that money? Well they say its for various things, but the simple truth is it goes to the government to do with as it sees fit. Want to get your bill passed that will make you a household name or help your largest campaign contributor? Then the PR mill will want to be paid. Want that new highway named after an astronaut in your state? Well again it costs money.

A government whose business to create laws and legislation will always want more laws and regulation. The problem not all of that regulation is necessary or even helps, many times all it does is increase revenue for its own sake.

The idea that oil companies are victims in all this is LAUGHABLE. Not because I necessarily think of that industry as evil. Nope. I like driving my expensive sports car. But because they make more than enough money and have more than enough market autonomy to make up for all the controls.

I've seen in other threads people list precautions that could have been taken and other changes that would have stopped this.

Misuse of fines is a SEPARATE ISSUE from whether regulation is necessary. Sorry but it is.

GAAAAWWWWDDD!!!! You are one stupid sumbitch!!!!

SOOOOoooo.. when the vet comes round to look at your livestock....you tell him/her not to use any new fangled information to check on the animals:cuckoo: "Only methods from 40 years ago if you please!" I hate to break it to ya cowgirl but the american way is innovation which gets passed along as newer and better methedology...including regulations.

First you cannot say more regulation equals fewer disasters and more protection from them with any real evidence... Can you regulate an earthquake? How about a ship plowing into the structure? Or even a meteor hitting near enough to it to cause a catastrophe? How about a typhoon? Or a very large Hurricane? You cannot regulate any of these things and therefore you cannot attribute regulation to protecting us from any such occurrence. And in turn you cannot regulate enough to combat every conceivable possibility..... Regulation beyond normal safety and recognized general protection that is both obvious and clear, is not about protection its about revenue... History shows this.

I do not recall claiming oil companies or BP were victims here? matter-of-fact I don't remember reading that in here at all. What I DO recall is many posts stating over and again that BP and the rig owners and their insurers will pay for the clean up and for whatever damages they are deemed responsible for.

As far as them making more than enough money to make up for the autonomous controls. What autonomous controls that weren't already in place? The fact is the well exploded in such a way none of the autonomous systems we have would have made any difference.

And about what others in posts on this have said about safety features and or mechanisms that "should" or "could" have prevented this? Well first it is the postings of people in a web forum, and not the statements of professionals in this field that are not on a payroll of the manufacturers of these devices, and not taken under oath. Trying to say they have plans and things that would have stopped this from reading the posts on here is a dangerous policy to have... No offense but a great many people on here do not actually read half what they post, much less understand it well enough to make a claim... Its a web forum, not a engineering professionals only board..

As far as misuse of fines being a separate issue.. if there is a known, proven, and documented history of a misuse of penalties and fines. Then by common sense, good reason, and by the concept of good government; we have to hold all legislation which will levy such fines and penalties up to scrutiny. other wise we further the problem... It is NOT a separate issue, but the very core issue that should be addressed every time some one calls for more legislation...

GAAAAWWWWDDD!!!! You are one stupid sumbitch!!!!

SOOOOoooo.. when the vet comes round to look at your livestock....you tell him/her not to use any new fangled information to check on the animals:cuckoo: "Only methods from 40 years ago if you please!" I hate to break it to ya cowgirl but the american way is innovation which gets passed along as newer and better methedology...including regulations.

Are you on some kind meds that make you so incoherent? I think again you are coming on here high as a kite and trying to post.... look Mr. Expressionist Haiku posting man, go take your rambling nonsense to a poetry thread.. And no I don't mean that symbolically, or in a metaphorical sense. I mean it in a most literal and direct sense....Save it for your art class Monet....

Yea, whose policing Washington and the creeps in power. Industry has been regulated to death in this country by low life politicians without a clue, they have also been sued to death by politically backed attorneys........ why do you think that all of the jobs that were done here are gone?

Well fuck it then...Lets get rid of all regulation. No more traffic signals... stop signs... People know what time it is! Let the chips fall. I don't give a rats azz.. No more Law! All they are is regulation. If somebody pisses you off.. Cap the piece of shit. You need a tank full of gas? That pissant at the counter of the station anint gonna bust a grape..fillerup and drive off.... Regulations??? Hell to the no-no!!!!. Some sleaze ball cheats grandma out of the life savings..no problem Pay the punk a visit an let Mr. Gloch do the talkin.. I'm game! No more Regs!!!! WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!

The big picture: we are dependent on oil. Would you rather we get it from our own country or fund terrorists by buying it from the middle east?

Until we come up with a viable fuel alternative, we have no choice but drill here.

We have 3% of the reserves, use 25% of the oil. Drilling here makes no differance at all. Consider that the Alaskan oil goes to Asia.

The big picture: we are dependent on oil. Would you rather we get it from our own country or fund terrorists by buying it from the middle east?

Until we come up with a viable fuel alternative, we have no choice but drill here.

We have 3% of the reserves, use 25% of the oil. Drilling here makes no differance at all. Consider that the Alaskan oil goes to Asia.

And we have how much of a percentage of cars, trucks, trains, ships, and industry? Not to mention the money to use it, and the fact we use a great deal of all of that in other countries....

Forum List

Back