Any pop-up (tent trailer) campers here?

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
Bought one last year, a nice step up from just a tent. I've had great fun with it. It is easy to pull and provides many comforts.

Anybody else using a pop-up camper?

Just brought a new tent that I was supposed to try out with the kids last weekend. Do to unfortunate events we didnt get a chance. Hopefully we will try again.

Don't own one, but would love to - grew up camping and love it! Nothing like camping when it's cooler out and sitting by a fire at night.

I've had a Jayco double axle tent trailer for about 10 years. It's about 14' closed-up, but stretches out to 24' when opened up.

It's been a fun rig, but my tow vehicle, a 92 Chevy Astro, hasn't been to reliable. It is rated to tow 5,000 lbs. with a 200 h.p. Vortec, 4.3 liter V6, but 3 years ago, while pulling my Jayco over Donner Summit/I80 in the California Sierras, my 4.3 literally it's bottom end out. That was two piston rods that made a hole in the bottom of my oil pan, the size of a soccer ball!

Well, with a brand new(factory rebuilt, that is) GM Goodwrench engine replacement($5,000.00!), we continue on with the Old Chevy Astro. Now in 2005 it looks like the Automatic Transmission is ready for a rebuild.......$$$$. This Astro came with the Factory Tow package!

I would really love to get a larger family van, with a diesel, so some day we could move up to a larger travel trailer. Only Ford offers a diesel in their full size vans. I like the van configuration as a tow vehicle, because you can take all the passenger seats out of a van and hall a lot of cargo, without worrying about rain getting things wet. Even those crew cab pick ups can't carry as many folks as a passenger van. I don't know why full-size passenger vans don't sell as well as they did years ago. To me they make much more sense than a pick-up, unless your need to hall bricks, and manure every week.

Sir Evil said:
Just sold my Forrest River pop-up, the thing was used once!!
It was awesome though for the one time that I did use it. Hopefully I will buy another in the future when time permits more camping! for now it's back to the weekend tents.:rolleyes:

Ditto---Tents for me but sure would love a pop-up.

MtnBiker said:
Bought one last year, a nice step up from just a tent. I've had great fun with it. It is easy to pull and provides many comforts.

We have one at our summer home. The house sleeps 8, the camper 6. Kids outside, adults inside. The youngest kid is 14. (Do not try this with young children.)

MtnBiker said:

I'm too old fashioned. It ain't camping if you don't wake up with a pine cone indent somewhere on your body.

Sir Evil said:
well now that depends on where you are camping out, some of mother natures creations are welcome to stay the hell out of my bed! :D

I remember reading a story sometime about a guy who wanted to study bears so he packed up and went into the wood with his fiancee. They found some half-hibernating bears and decided to camp out in their midst.

They ran some videotape of the event and went to sleep with the camera still running. The camera was knocked over and a struggle ensued in which both the scientist, and I use that term loosely here, and his fiancee were slaughtered by the subject of their scientific inquiry. The sound of the "attack" was on the videotape when they found their remains.

I will see if I can search the article out sometime.

Sir Evil said:
lol, and I was referring to nasty spiders and such, I sure ain't using the earth's fllor to camp out where there are bears! that would have to require a full size camper for me!

Tie your food up high. Bears will enter a vehicle if they smell food and are hungry enough. Don't keep any snack items in your tent either! So long as you remember those basic rules there is little danger at all. You are more in danger of breaking your leg and not being able to get back to your campsite.

Sir Evil said:
lol, and I was referring to nasty spiders and such, I sure ain't using the earth's fllor to camp out where there are bears! that would have to require a full size camper for me!
I'm a Hyatt minimum type of person. The one and only time I 'camped out,' flies layed larvae in our bags. Woke up to thousands, (perhaps I exaggerate, but not by much,) of flies. Never again. I will not sleep in the wild. Be wild, perhaps, but NOT outside of walls stronger than canvas.

Mr. P said:
Hotels are the best...
Just you, the wife and some champaign, and maybe a
a hot tub....life is great!
Oh, no bugs either. ;)

Never tried with a wife. The husband I had, well nevermind. Hotels are very good alone. Quiet and your choice of cable. Room service is excellent.

Best, Roman tub built for 4, with 1.

Forum List

Back