Another Truce Offer

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I remembered there had been something about bin Laden and a truce earlier. I searched but couldn't find it, link is in here-at site:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/06_01_15_corner-archive.asp#087716

2. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49

Any sign indicating that Bin Laden wanted a truce shows that it's not just our lifestyle that bothers them (as we are infidels in their minds). It's also our actions and how we come across to the rest of the world as a selfish bully. The problem is that we are so quick to jump into war before rationalizing and seeking to find some sort of an agreement for peace.

3. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Oh my goodness... when will you liberals wake up!?!?!? If we were so quick to jump into war, we wouldn't have gone to the United Nations and tried to get the Security Council to go along with invading Iraq for breaking the terms of the 1991 cease-fire agreement.

You've forgotten that Osama Bin Laden attacked us, several times. The World Trade center in 1993. The Kobar Towers. The American Embassies in Africa (btw... an attack on a nation's embassy is an act of war, because the embassy grounds are considered part of that nation's territory). The USS Cole, a military vessel. And last but not least, the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and potentially, the White House on September 11, 2001.

If people like you were around on December 8th, 1941, you'd be claiming that the United States was a war mongering nation. Just who's side are you on? N

And... the evidence is in... Iraq trained 8,000 terrorist up to the fall of 2002. High level Al Queda officials were in Iraq and speaking directly with Saddam Hussein. So don't start with the "there is no known link between terrorism and Saddam Hussein".

4. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    concedes defeat and surrenders...in Usumas(Osama) case he is raising the yellow flag...he knows the drones will locate him very soon...a coward trying to buy time!

5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    You need to wake up one morning and see a city gone in a mushroom cloud so you know a "jump to war" looks when you see one.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

You asked awhile ago for me to 'guess' your age. Sr. in hs or early college. You really need to hone your skills a bit, so you not only have your points, but can anticipate your opponents. Lots of links at site:

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/004318.htm

7. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I don't mean that we shouldn't go to war ever...though I wish I could say that I'm a pacifist, I'm not-- I know that war is sometimes the only option. At the same time, though, the way I see "the war on terror" is the US against a faceless enemy. We're not really fighting Bin Laden, we're fighting the ideology of terrorism. Not that I think terrorism is just, but it's hard to eliminate this threat when it exists all over the globe, in caves, in underground bunkers, etc. My point is that instead of declaring war on terrorism, we might want to think about why they hate us. Yes, they hate us for our freedom and that is something that none of us is willing to compromise, but they also hate us for our behavior in the global atmosphere; we come across as if we own the world and we don't. All that I was suggesting was that maybe we should attempt to change our image a bit in the world because a war on terror is simply too complex to ever truly "win." It's not us against Japan, Germany, or even Iraq; it's us against terrorism.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Really, I'd like to have a clue to your age, it might influence how others react to what you write.

I disagree with your take on why they 'hate us.' I think it has to do with radical Islam and their vision of geo-political scenarios. We, being the West, not just the US, has been at war with Islam for well over 500 years. Most of us didn't realize it, because they have been tamped down since the success of Portugal, long ago. When they raised their head for a bit, Jefferson slammed them at Tripoli.

They are back and have been for quite awhile. Talk won't do it.

9. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I'm a 20 year old college student at nyu, which I guess explains why I have views that aren't conservative. And please, do not use my age as an excuse to rectify the stupidity that you think I possess.

As for the historical reference there, I have no knowledge of what you are referring to so I'm not going to try to refute it...I'll assume that you're correct.

But I question, how are we supposed to "win" this war when we are not facing a solid enemy? What do you suggest?

Also, there was a documentary by a reporter named Friedman (last name) on the Discovery Times channel. He went to a few Arab countries and interviewed the college students there. They all had the same response in regards to why they hate us:
    1) We support Israel (a given!)
    2) We invade countries and chalk up civilian deaths to collateral damage, but when we are attacked on 9/11 we make a big fuss over it (in their words-- "they (the US) don't care for Arab blood."
    3) We are cocky and think that we own the world.

Now, I'm not saying that I agree with all of this, but it made me look at the situation a bit differently.

10. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

at NYU...and if so what is your take on the "Ottoman Empire"? Did it cease to exist or just morph into another shadow crusade!