Another Truce Offer

liberalogic said:
Any sign indicating that Bin Laden wanted a truce shows that it's not just our lifestyle that bothers them (as we are infidels in their minds). It's also our actions and how we come across to the rest of the world as a selfish bully. The problem is that we are so quick to jump into war before rationalizing and seeking to find some sort of an agreement for peace.

well said.....i really admire al queda's restraint and negotiating skills....they would never blow up a beach resort or an office building or cut the heads off reporters or drag bodies through the street like those other radicals....

I didn't say they were good, but we shouldn't be responsible to spread democracy...we have enough domestic issues to deal with.

liberalogic said:
I don't mean that we shouldn't go to war ever...though I wish I could say that I'm a pacifist, I'm not-- I know that war is sometimes the only option. At the same time, though, the way I see "the war on terror" is the US against a faceless enemy. We're not really fighting Bin Laden, we're fighting the ideology of terrorism. Not that I think terrorism is just, but it's hard to eliminate this threat when it exists all over the globe, in caves, in underground bunkers, etc. My point is that instead of declaring war on terrorism, we might want to think about why they hate us. Yes, they hate us for our freedom and that is something that none of us is willing to compromise, but they also hate us for our behavior in the global atmosphere; we come across as if we own the world and we don't. All that I was suggesting was that maybe we should attempt to change our image a bit in the world because a war on terror is simply too complex to ever truly "win." It's not us against Japan, Germany, or even Iraq; it's us against terrorism.

As a free and blessed nation we have an obligation to act accordingly which also means at times to assert ourselves where-ever we see injustice and yes spread freedom. I think as a nation we have picked our battles for the most part judiciously, and as a nation we have done many great things in helping other countries... ie addressing world poverty, and hunger, AIDS, disease, earthquake, tsunami relief etc. You really need to wake up if you think that somehow we have not earned the respect of the rest of the world then I suppose you never will. Terrorism is not rational, and we cant' afford and dont' have the luxury to try to understand why lunatics don't like us simply because we have more freedom, and a better life than most, that's ridiculous. Terrorism may I remind you has not just been directed at the US. And please tell me when the last time was that you heard of anyone of non US origin and wanting to be a citizen throwing a row boat into the ocean to head back to their own country???

liberalogic said:
I didn't say they were good, but we shouldn't be responsible to spread democracy...we have enough domestic issues to deal with.

Do you not see that spreading Democracy is what will eventually stop terrorism?? Giving people a stake in their own government, better education, and their own financial destinies will take away the anger that drives many young and stupid men to join terrorism groups??

Bonnie said:
Do you not see that spreading Democracy is what will eventually stop terrorism?? Giving people a stake in their own government, better education, and their own financial destinies will take away the anger that drives many young and stupid men to join terrorism groups??

But terrorism is not isolated to one area (ie- Iraq). It is simply impossible to spread freedom through the entire world and by doing so we tend to infuriate those who hate us even more. We are imposing our values and assuming that that is the only way to fix the problem. And if this is our solution to terrorism, how can we spread democracy throughout the entire world? Because that is the only way, according to this philosophy, to truly eliminate the threat of terrorism.

liberalogic said:
But terrorism is not isolated to one area (ie- Iraq). It is simply impossible to spread freedom through the entire world and by doing so we tend to infuriate those who hate us even more. We are imposing our values and assuming that that is the only way to fix the problem. And if this is our solution to terrorism, how can we spread democracy throughout the entire world? Because that is the only way, according to this philosophy, to truly eliminate the threat of terrorism.

i'll bite....what is the other way to fix terrorism?

liberalogic said:

Im not suggesting we spread it worldwide. That fact that it is happening in Iraq can certainly be a catalyst for other countries in that region to do it themselves. Freedom is not a value, freedom is what everyone on this planet wants and is entitled to, so it's an entitlement, not us imposing values. Are you suggesting that Iraq would have been better off with Hussein in power or the Taliban in in power in Afghanistan??

Please explain to me how we are supposed to understand or negotiate with people (word used loosely) who can cut off the heads of men women and children??

But who is to say that democracy is the best system, especially for the people who we are pushing it onto? For example: do many of the Arab community really accept women as first class citizens? I don't think democracy is "right" for everyone. Also by pushing this value abroad, we make it seem as though we supreme; in other words-- this is our government, this is the best, you must accept it. It crafts an image of us as egotistical and forcing our way of life upon others.

liberalogic said:
But who is to say that democracy is the best system, especially for the people who we are pushing it onto? For example: do many of the Arab community really accept women as first class citizens? I don't think democracy is "right" for everyone. Also by pushing this value abroad, we make it seem as though we supreme; in other words-- this is our government, this is the best, you must accept it. It crafts an image of us as egotistical and forcing our way of life upon others.

So you don't think women being beheaded for wearing lip gloss is a grave human rights violation??

Bonnie said:
So you don't think women being beheaded for wearing lip gloss is a grave human rights violation??

Yes I do, but there is a difference between abiding by human rights and abiding by the full-fledged freedom that American democracy proclaims it has.

liberalogic said:
Yes I do, but there is a difference between abiding by human rights and abiding by the full-fledged freedom that American democracy proclaims it has.

Just to be clear here, you do know that the government being set up by the Iraqis (not us) is not too similar to our government other than the citizens get a say in who gets elected without the fear of their legs getting sawed off if they don't vote for Saddam??

Forum List

Back