Another philisophical question to ponder

gop_jeff said:
A God who is love (as the Bible points out) could not be very loving if He had no object to love and receive love back from.

Then why not just create one person that would love him back?

deaddude said:
You sacrificed a Dove recently?

I don't see how anyone can claim to follow the bible without sacrificing animals fairly regularly.

Powerman said:
I don't see how anyone can claim to follow the bible without sacrificing animals fairly regularly.

Jesus negated the need for sacrifices. He was the ultimate sacrifice that paid for all sins. Plus, I'm a Gentile. Gentiles don't do the sacrifice thing, much like we don't do kosher.

Powerman said:
Are you kidding? My life would completely suck without excessive amounts of masturbation, premarital sex, alcohol abuse etc...

I'm having much more fun ignoring the wishes of this God.

"completely suck"?, so right now it only partially sucks? :)

Truth is you dont even know the amount of true joy and happiness one can have. The "fun" you are having will catch up with you, and in the meantime you are missing out on the single most prescious thing.....

The ClayTaurus said:
So how would you explain pleasure from sin?

There is a difference in doing things that make you have fun, and make you happy.

Lots of people carry on lots of fun activities in their lives, but when the day or night comes to an end, they find a hollowness within themselves. For most, this includes a longing for that "one special person"

Pleasure from sinful activities is "having fun", it makes you feel good at the moment.

Pleasure from more wholesome activities, or by doing something as Kathiane state, GIVING, has more long term affects. It makes you a happier person, short run and long run.

Pleasure from sinful activity requires that you either, are or become a sociopath, in which case, sinful activities would include Dohmer type stuff, OR you have to be self delusional and deny the guilt you are feeling.

The basic question is, if you have a choice to make, "will this make me feel good, or will it make me feel good about myself?"

Powerman said:
I was kinda joking. I'm trying to figure out how masturbation can be bad for you though. It's proven to be healthy to "clean the pipes" periodically. Once a day is pretty good. If you aren't having sex then you should masturbate.

sometimes the good is the enemy of the best. You may be settling for mediocre.

Hagbard Celine said:
I think monogamy laws are designed more to prevent bastard children and disease (in other words, like the kosher laws, more for health reasons) than for happiness. A lot of the stuff in the Bible that people look at as being "divine" is actually just common sense. Don't murder, don't steal, the kosher laws (pigs live in sh*t and that's pretty damn nasty), male circumcision is more hygenic for both the man and the woman, don't covet other people's things, be nice to your neighbor, don't drink from stagnant bodies of water, etc. It's all pretty straight forward stuff.

Yea, I guess God has more common sense than you give Him credit for :)

The ClayTaurus said:
Do you plan on dating before marriage, or just marrying the only girl you ever date? I also agree with someone else's point, that it's difficult for someone to make a decision as to which way they would be happier if they haven't personally experienced both.

not necessarily true. You can learn to use others experiences to learn what is best.

The ClayTaurus said:
Do you plan on dating before marriage, or just marrying the only girl you ever date? I also agree with someone else's point, that it's difficult for someone to make a decision as to which way they would be happier if they haven't personally experienced both.

How can a person experience both A) remaining a virgin and having sex only with your lifetime spouse,,and B) having sowed your seed before marriage?

:wine:
Powerman said:
You might have missed my response but I said that was meant to be a joke. Although I do enjoy to have some drinks occasionally.

:wine: (burp)

maybe next time you can clarify in the original post that its a joke by a smiley face or something. It did not appear as a joke to me.

Powerman said:
Then why not just create one person that would love him back?

You dont sound like you are happy that you were born,,,personally, Im glad he didnt do it like you ask. Then I wouldnt be here, and IM DAMN glad I am here, especially when Im with my wife and kids.

LuvRPgrl said:
"completely suck"?, so right now it only partially sucks? :)

Truth is you dont even know the amount of true joy and happiness one can have. The "fun" you are having will catch up with you, and in the meantime you are missing out on the single most prescious thing.....

OK you're not the first person to miss it but I've already claimed that that post was a joke. I'm not any sort of addict. As far as premarital sex and masturbation go I think they are both great ideas.

LuvRPgrl said:
You dont sound like you are happy that you were born,,,personally, Im glad he didnt do it like you ask. Then I wouldnt be here, and IM DAMN glad I am here, especially when Im with my wife and kids.

?
I thought from your screenname that you were a woman. Oh well. I'm happy that I'm here as well. It just doesn't seem logical to me that a completely perfect being would want to surround himself by imperfect beings.

gop_jeff said:
God's love is a lot bigger than just one person's worth.

When I said one person I really meant a being similar to itself or himself or whatever. Like a soulmate....didn't mean a mortal human.

Powerman said:
When I said one person I really meant a being similar to itself or himself or whatever. Like a soulmate....didn't mean a mortal human.

He created immortal humans with a mortal encasement. It seems He may have created innumerable 'soulmates' if one was wont to believe the Christian view.

Powerman said:
?
I thought from your screenname that you were a woman. Oh well. I'm happy that I'm here as well. It just doesn't seem logical to me that a completely perfect being would want to surround himself by imperfect beings.

You think your logic is flawless?

I could understand questioning the existence of God,

But to question any choices he may have made would imply that you are accepting the possibility of His existence in that context of the debate, and I simply would not be arrogant enough to question a Creator who has the power to create an entire universe, the unquestionably super complexity of the human body, etc, etc, I mean, think of the power of a hurricane, He created them. Its the stupid humans who choose to live there.

He gave us paradise, we rejected it, cuz our "logic" lead us elsewhere. So, your same notion that your logic is better than His is exactly the same concept that has lead to all human suffering and evil. I.e. your line of logic and reasoning, or you, are responsable for all the evil that has occured.

Powerman said:

Man is mortal because of sin. But faith in Christ's death and resurrection gives men the opportunity to gain eternal life, through God's grace. So God will have millions and millions of "soulmates" in that sense. Not to mention that we are created in God's image.

Forum List

Back