Another philisophical question to ponder

Hobbit said:
Now you're splitting hairs. I never said that, only that a lasting marriage brought far more happiness than spreading your seed to anyone who will accept it. The truth of the happiness of abstinence extends to single life, too. I, personally, would rather die a virgin than live a life of dozens of broken relationships or even worse, to have cheapened sex to the point where it's little more than a "get to know you" ritual that doesn't even involve a relationship.

Do you plan on dating before marriage, or just marrying the only girl you ever date? I also agree with someone else's point, that it's difficult for someone to make a decision as to which way they would be happier if they haven't personally experienced both.

The ClayTaurus said:
Do you plan on dating before marriage, or just marrying the only girl you ever date? I also agree with someone else's point, that it's difficult for someone to make a decision as to which way they would be happier if they haven't personally experienced both.

Why?

The ClayTaurus said:
Which part are you whying about?

This: ..."it's difficult for someone to make a decision as to which way they would be happier if they haven't personally experienced both."

Kathianne said:
This: ..."it's difficult for someone to make a decision as to which way they would be happier if they haven't personally experienced both."

Because if you haven't experienced it, then you're relying on secondhand opinion. IMO, of course.

The ClayTaurus said:
Because if you haven't experienced it, then you're relying on secondhand opinion. IMO, of course.

Understand the 'opinion part', it's a given with each and every post of all of us! :thup:

I guess my take, one doesn't really need 'experience' in that department to know if one 'loves another.' Now I grant you, if the reason for abstaining is lack of desire, that could prove problematic. On the other hand, to save oneself for their 'one and only' is very unlikely to be noticed, if neither have partaken. Probably better than those that are all over the place, when the 'act' becomes more important than the love, as in 'act of love.'

Kathianne said:
Understand the 'opinion part', it's a given with each and every post of all of us! :thup:

I guess my take, one doesn't really need 'experience' in that department to know if one 'loves another.' Now I grant you, if the reason for abstaining is lack of desire, that could prove problematic. On the other hand, to save oneself for their 'one and only' is very unlikely to be noticed, if neither have partaken. Probably better than those that are all over the place, when the 'act' becomes more important than the love, as in 'act of love.'

I was disagreeing with his sentiment that 'tis better to have never loved then to have a love lost more than anything else.

The ClayTaurus said:
I was disagreeing with his sentiment that 'tis better to have never loved then to have a love lost more than anything else.

Based on this?
Hobbit said:
...I, personally, would rather die a virgin than live a life of dozens of broken relationships or even worse, to have cheapened sex to the point where it's little more than a "get to know you" ritual that doesn't even involve a relationship.

That's a bit different than, "'tis better to have never loved then to have a love lost more than anything else.'"

Perhaps you meant something else?

Kathianne said:
Based on this?

That's a bit different than, "'tis better to have never loved then to have a love lost more than anything else.'"

Perhaps you meant something else?

Taurus is performing a common act known mainly to global warming enthusiasts called "over extrapolation." He takes something and reads between the lines so much as to stretch it to the undesirable extreme. This same principle is used to show how a warming trend means the ice caps will be gone in a few years rather than the typical extrapolation that leads one to realize that the climate changes naturally and will eventually cool off.

Now, without further ado, one more thing to add.

Dating DOES NOT MEAN SEX! Saving yourself for the one and only does not preclude dating, and you seem to misunderstand the latter half of my statment. It might clarify it a bit more if you realized that intimacy on a sexual level leads to very rough break-ups due to that deep bond that must be broken. If the bond between me and the one and only person I have sex with ever breaks, it will be done so by death or divorce. Either way, it will almost certainly only happen once.

Hobbit said:
Taurus is performing a common act known mainly to global warming enthusiasts called "over extrapolation." He takes something and reads between the lines so much as to stretch it to the undesirable extreme. This same principle is used to show how a warming trend means the ice caps will be gone in a few years rather than the typical extrapolation that leads one to realize that the climate changes naturally and will eventually cool off.

Dating DOES NOT MEAN SEX! Saving yourself for the one and only does not preclude dating, and you seem to misunderstand the latter half of my statment. It might clarify it a bit more if you realized that intimacy on a sexual level leads to very rough break-ups due to that deep bond that must be broken. If the bond between me and the one and only person I have sex with ever breaks, it will be done so by death or divorce. Either way, it will almost certainly only happen once.

Hobbit, I think that your chosen course may well be good for you. I think it might also be good for countless others that have not chosen it.

Hobbit said:

I was merely looking for clarification, not to judge you. You said:

...I, personally, would rather die a virgin than live a life of dozens of broken relationships or even worse...

I didn't know what you meant by relationship, and that's why I posted, looking for clarification. A bit defensive to throw in the liberal-global-warming thing, aren't we?

The ClayTaurus said:
I was merely looking for clarification, not to judge you. You said:

I didn't know what you meant by relationship, and that's why I posted, looking for clarification. A bit defensive to throw in the liberal-global-warming thing, aren't we?

Eh, just a bit moody, I guess. We all get that way, from time to time, especially after you find out that your paycheck funds aren't going to be available until Monday because the bank's closed.

Though you must admit, the clarification request did seem a bit...I guess obtuse would be the word. Oh well, water under the bridge.

Hobbit said:
Eh, just a bit moody, I guess. We all get that way, from time to time, especially after you find out that your paycheck funds aren't going to be available until Monday because the bank's closed.

Though you must admit, the clarification request did seem a bit...I guess obtuse would be the word. Oh well, water under the bridge.

Apologies on my part, then. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

The ClayTaurus said:
Apologies on my part, then. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Not like I have bills to pay. I'm saving the money for my last year of college. It's just annoying to find that the bank's closed on a Friday, of all days. You know, the day everyone gets paid. It just seems a little wierd that they didn't do Veterans' Day like they do the other federal holidays and make it on a Monday, when few people get paid.

But enough of that, I've derailed this thread enough.

I think all Biblical rules have a practical purpose and that following them is beneficial whether you believe in an afterlife or not.

Hobbit said:
Not like I have bills to pay. I'm saving the money for my last year of college. It's just annoying to find that the bank's closed on a Friday, of all days. You know, the day everyone gets paid. It just seems a little wierd that they didn't do Veterans' Day like they do the other federal holidays and make it on a Monday, when few people get paid.

But enough of that, I've derailed this thread enough.

I think all Biblical rules have a practical purpose and that following them is beneficial whether you believe in an afterlife or not.

May have been better for me to have a Monday off, yet on the other hand, the reason that it's Friday, is that it's the 'actual Veteran's Day Remembrance' as opposed to 'celebration of...' Same with 7/4.

Powerman said:
If there is in fact a divine creator, why would he care about the manner in which we live our lives?

Because the divine creator, God, is absolutely holy, meaning that He is infinitely good and perfect in everything He does. He wants us to live holy lives as well, because we are created in His image.

gop_jeff said:
Because the divine creator, God, is absolutely holy, meaning that He is infinitely good and perfect in everything He does. He wants us to live holy lives as well, because we are created in His image.

Then why didn't he just make us all perfect and good? We could be perfect and good with being divine, so it can't be a question of competition. A lot of these explanations seem self-serving.

MissileMan said:
Then why didn't he just make us all perfect and good? We could be perfect and good with being divine, so it can't be a question of competition. A lot of these explanations seem self-serving.

God made us with free will so that we could choose to obey Him. If God had made us all perfect and good in the first place, we would be little more than robots.

gop_jeff said:
God made us with free will so that we could choose to obey Him. If God had made us all perfect and good in the first place, we would be little more than robots.

So that begs the question. Why would a perfect God want to surround himself with all this imperfection. If he is infinitely holy and perfect in everything that he does wouldn't he be content just hanging out by himself?

Powerman said:
I'm having much more fun ignoring the wishes of this God.

For how long. WIll you be happy as an alcoholic old man with no family? How special.

Forum List

Back