Another GOP Mayor slashing cops/firemen. Necessary?

Matthew Tully: Indy's budget crunch offers opportunity to have serious discussion about public safety | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

The GOP mayor of Indianapolis took a stand and said police and fire are gonna have to take a slashing on behalf of Indy's broken budget. Is it necessary? Article said non-fatal violent crime (stabbings, assaults, etc) are up, murders are down, and the Indy PD is woefully understaffed already.

The summary:

Indy PD and FD are unionized. They likely have far better pay/benefits than the non-union depts of the South, so I understand they've had it pretty good for a while.

Artical says a property tax increase of 0.2 %, thats right, two/tenths of a percent, would fix the entire shortfall.

But rather than support the 0.2% increase (which is $200 for a 100K earner), the mayor wants to look to the cops and firemen to make ends meet.

Right? Wrong? Well, it is union, and I know they've made far more than "normal" for cops nationwide.

But the problem is.......everytime a mayor like this takes a stand to cut police/fire, there are dozens of GOP mayors in NON UNION cities that dont have the crippling union contracts that some others do....who believe this is a valid reason for them to also cut police and fire, even if it isn't necessary for their city.

It's slowly become a well accepted trend in the Tea Party/GOP circles that putting cops and firemen on the govt chopping block is A-OK!!!! Necessary or not.

Instead of acting like the insufferable whining dickbag that you've been for the past week, how about you take the time to do some research and answer your own damn questions, like how much are the cops and firemen making now? What are they contributing to their benefits and retirement? What are the property tax rates in Indianapolis already? What other cuts has the city already made?

You don't even live there so who are you do judge the actions they are taking when you know little about their situation?

Matthew Tully: Indy's budget crunch offers opportunity to have serious discussion about public safety | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

The GOP mayor of Indianapolis took a stand and said police and fire are gonna have to take a slashing on behalf of Indy's broken budget. Is it necessary? Article said non-fatal violent crime (stabbings, assaults, etc) are up, murders are down, and the Indy PD is woefully understaffed already.

The summary:

Indy PD and FD are unionized. They likely have far better pay/benefits than the non-union depts of the South, so I understand they've had it pretty good for a while.

Artical says a property tax increase of 0.2 %, thats right, two/tenths of a percent, would fix the entire shortfall.

But rather than support the 0.2% increase (which is $200 for a 100K earner), the mayor wants to look to the cops and firemen to make ends meet.

Right? Wrong? Well, it is union, and I know they've made far more than "normal" for cops nationwide.

But the problem is.......everytime a mayor like this takes a stand to cut police/fire, there are dozens of GOP mayors in NON UNION cities that dont have the crippling union contracts that some others do....who believe this is a valid reason for them to also cut police and fire, even if it isn't necessary for their city.

It's slowly become a well accepted trend in the Tea Party/GOP circles that putting cops and firemen on the govt chopping block is A-OK!!!! Necessary or not.

Buc a hell of a lot of Cities in California are cutting this stuff too.....go ahead tell me they are mostly Republican Mayors.....

Whenever I talk to young people these days, I advice them to NOT go into public service such as fire, police, nurse, teacher. They will be underpaid, underappreciated and whenever the Right wants a scapegoat for their failings....they will be vilified first.

Who needs it?

Whenever I talk to young people these days, I advice them to NOT go into public service such as fire, police, nurse, teacher. They will be underpaid, underappreciated and whenever the Right wants a scapegoat for their failings....they will be vilified first.

Who needs it?

I tell young kids to go be a Community Organizer. It's a vague job needing no real experience and does nothing to prepare you for the real world

The summary:

I see you don't know much about taxes, do you? The 0.2% increase will apply to everyone who works in the city, not just people who make more than $100,000.

As for the rest,, you obviously didn't read the article.

More moaning and crying about local budgetary issues.

Someone call this fraud a wammmmmbulance

Ah, yes, I forgot. The only "real" issues the far right want to give any attention to are more wars, closing borders and stopping them fags from getting married.

And they wonder why I left.

Each municipality has it's own financial issues and should handle it in their own way. Chances are, they can reach a resolution acceptable to all parties unless the national media and the political opportunists get involved.

AH!!!:clap2:

One of the few actual intelligent responses. Yes, local issues COULD often get solved in their own way. Unless, as you so accurately stated, national media and opportunists get involved.

Which is part of my issue. Cities that do not have the same fiscal emergencies others do...are getting caught up in the wave of cutting all that is government because they and their local voters get caught up in the 8pm cable news, and then want to apply the same national trends to their local government. Whether it is necessary, or not. So you may end up with a city in a wealthy area that is doing absolutely fine financially, with a balanced budget, but their population of voters get up in a frenzy watching Hannity and Beck, then rub elbows with their mayor and demand he "cut tha gubamint spendin'!!", and you get local politicians running not on local issues, but more on how well they can reflect the ideology of an 8pm TV host or a 12 noon radio host.

"Like the rest of us" doesn't apply here. Because in the last 5 years, not everyone has taken a pay/benefit cut. Heck, the medical industry has soared. Oil too. Many fields have prospered. Wall Street is soaring right now.

The phrase about public safety work recruitment was always "You'll never get rich, but you'll always be stable."

My premise is: Is cutting cops/firemen salary/benefits necessary in this case? Or, is a 0.2% prop tax raise modest enough to propose??

I'd say do the 0.2% increase. It's hardly noticeable for one. And, if it gets us to next year without taking money away from our cops and firemen, great, maybe the economy will be rising by then and it'll only be a 1 time needed increase. But, we cannot do this increase annually. We'll reassess next year.
Life's tough....Shit happens...Wear a helmet.

I highly recommend goggles as well.

Ah, yes, I forgot. The only "real" issues the far right want to give any attention to are more wars, closing borders and stopping them fags from getting married.

I don't thin anyone cares that you left, frankly.

Well, they sure got awful emotional and responded a lot for not caring.

Hope the door didn't hit you on the ass on your way to Stupidville.

I don't thin anyone cares that you left, frankly.

Well, they sure got awful emotional and responded a lot for not caring.

Chicago and their mayor is cutting back, It looks like a trend as tax revenue keeps dropping.

Do they need to vote to raise the taxes in Indianapolis? And if the mayor can raise the tax, does he keep his job, when voters decide?

How is it $200 on a 100k earner when it is a property tax increase ?

Everyone who uses police services doesnt own property and property taxes.

Hope the door didn't hit you on the ass on your way to Stupidville.

No, it didn't. And I hate to hear that the right wing would actually slam that door on me. I'm open minded. I planned to reasess next year, and pick my votes again. Appears the right has very little tolerance for questioning one's beliefs. Stick to the standard issued GOP morality list, or else.

I think that is to make the overall budget balanced. Police just happen to be what Indy is looking to cut.

Most PD's, within the whole budget, are funded off some type of sales tax and building permits. That way, everyone, including tourists and renters, pay the sales tax, and the big businesses that build buildings pay the building permits. Prop tax usually pays for education and infrastructure, but I'm not an expert by far on that.

I think that is to make the overall budget balanced. Police just happen to be what Indy is looking to cut.

Most PD's, within the whole budget, are funded off some type of sales tax and building permits. That way, everyone, including tourists and renters, pay the sales tax, and the big businesses that build buildings pay the building permits. Prop tax usually pays for education and infrastructure, but I'm not an expert by far on that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

But they are not raising sales tax or permit fees. They are raising property tax (millage) which you spun into income tax.

Your premise is flawed.

Forum List

Back