Another Death attributed to Marijuana?

[QUOTE="TooTall, post: 15471098, member: 43491]"See post #1.
See Treeshepherd's message (#296), which debunks this rather common form of misinformation.

If one wishes to believe marijuana is anything but a relatively benign euphoric tranquilizer all one need do is search through the vast amount of available anti-marijuana propaganda -- all of which is predicated on deceptive misinformation.

NIDA (National Institute on Drug Abuse) will fund any reasonably credentialed individual who engages in "research" which shows marijuana to be harmful. See my message (#298) re: one of the most disgusting examples of this federal agency's efforts -- and there are many, many more. (Go to NORML's website).

There are many examples of individuals who committed suicide after smoking a joint. What is not revealed is the same individual was also cockeyed drunk or had injected or otherwise ingested any number of dangerous substances, like PCP or an amphetamine.

If you'd like a clear picture of what marijuana is really about just consider the many millions, possible billions, of people around the world who enjoy its effects with absolutely no problems.

Also, keep in mind that if marijuana were legalized a lot of powerful entities would be seriously affected. These entities lavishly lobby our Congressional representatives to vote NO on any legalization proposal -- and most of them do. One of these entities is the National Bar Association (lawyers). Other are the FOP (Fraternal Order of Police), the entire law-enforcement establishment, including the prison industrial complex, the drug-testing industry, the liquor industry, the pharmaceutical industry, and more.

So don't be deceived by these deceitful little propaganda efforts which constantly appear from obscure sources and emphasize individual examples of problems which really prove absolutely nothing. Look at the big picture.[/QUOTE]

If there was one place that I would not believe a word they say it would be here.

"NORML is a nonprofit lobbying organization working to legalize marijuana, stop arrests of smokers, provide educational research, and legal information on ..."

The pasted material reads like a HS research paper. The link is from North Dakota dot gov, no doubt at the cutting edge of cannabis research
The most egregious example of government anti-marijuana propaganda I ever saw or heard of was the 1971 NIDA-funded "research" effort which involved fitting breathing masks to the faces of five restrained monkeys and feeding marijuana smoke to them to prove THC kills brain cells. One of the "research" team conscientiously revealed that no brain cell damage was noted but two of the monkeys were suffocated to death by the volume of concentrated marijuana smoke pumped through their masks.

Lots of info on this cruel, deceptive propaganda effort via Google. Keywords: Monkeys - Suffocated - Marijuana

Plenty more similar revelations about deceptive government anti-marijuana propaganda available on NORML's website.

This is probably what happened to you.

The leaves, stems, flower buds and extracts from the marijuana plant can be vaporized, eaten, brewed in a tea or put into a tincture. There are hundreds of compounds in marijuana, but scientists believe the one responsible for the drugs' psychoactive effects is tetrahydrocannbinol, or THC. THC binds to cannabinoid receptors throughout the body, and marijuana's "high" comes from THC's binding to brain regions responsible for pleasure, time perception and pain, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

Short-term use of the drug impairs thinking and coordination, and in long-term studies, teens who smoke marijuana have lower IQs later on, as well as structural differences in their brains, though scientists debate whether this is an effect of the drug or a result of habitual pot smokers seeking out less intellectually stimulating pursuits. Marijuana use has been linked to mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, according to NIDA. Marijuana smokers are also likelier to suffer from bronchitis, according to a 2014 New England Journal of Medicine review of marijuana's health effects.

Marijuana: Facts about Cannabis

Insomnia drugs like Ambien, Lunesta and Sonata cause short term memory loss. Personally I'd rather settle down at night with a bong load. But that's the thing about freedom, adults get to decide for themselves.

As to kids using marijuana, I don't think it's a good idea. Best to leave the developing brain alone, and marijuana is not a good study aid. I wouldn't want to be high studying for a calculus test.

On the other hand, making dinner, doing dishes and listening to the Giants game last night was nicely accentuated by the herb.

I note that it is the addicts that justify the addiction. That's why the Phillipines has the only workable solution. Admittedly the number of addicts and their problems must have been painful to sweep such a draconian reformer into office. He's said to be doing a good job.

[...]

Short-term use of the drug impairs thinking and coordination, and in long-term studies, teens who smoke marijuana have lower IQs later on, as well as structural differences in their brains, though scientists debate whether this is an effect of the drug or a result of habitual pot smokers seeking out less intellectually stimulating pursuits. Marijuana use has been linked to mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, according to NIDA. Marijuana smokers are also likelier to suffer from bronchitis, according to a 2014 New England Journal of Medicine review of marijuana's health effects.

Marijuana: Facts about Cannabis
First, re: "teens who smoke marijuana have lower IQs later on," etc. This is true!

The same thing applies to an even greater extent to beverage alcohol. This is because the human brain is not fully developed until the organism is fully mature, which occurs after the teen years, which is why kids should not smoke pot, drink booze, own guns, drive cars, join the military or get married. No startling revelation, but NIDA likes bringing it up now and then because it works on those with a narrow range of awareness and limited intellect.

Re: bronchitis: Also true. Smoking marijuana -- or anything else, is not good for anyone. It's also not the best way to enjoy it. The effect from edibles is much nicer and it lasts a lot longer.

Last edited:
I note that it is the addicts that justify the addiction. That's why the Phillipines has the only workable solution. Admittedly the number of addicts and their problems must have been painful to sweep such a draconian reformer into office. He's said to be doing a good job.
You obviously have never been to the Philippines. I have, and I can assure you that what is going on there is no cause for surprise. Armed conflict and brutal government actions are a natural part of the national character. If it wasn't drugs it would be something else.

Why do you suppose nobody ever goes to the Philippine Islands on vacation?

Last edited:

The big problem in the Phillipines is meth. Also, lots of kids are inhaling household products and nail polish. And the harsh drug laws have created a high profit margin for dealers who probably buy the favor of corrupt officials.

Incidentally, Duarte has spoken out in favor of medical marijuana;
Although he said he would never allow the use of recreational marijuana, Digong [Duarte's nickname] is in favor of medical marijuana because of the benefits it can provide to those who need it. "Medical marijuana, yes, because it is an ingredient of modern medicine now. There are medicines now being developed or already in the market that contains marijuana as a component but used for medical purposes" said Duterte in an interview with ABS-CBN.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.natu...dical-marijuana.htm?client=ms-android-verizon

You obviously have never been to the Philippines. I have, and I can assure you that what is going on there is no cause for surprise. Armed conflict and brutal government actions are a natural part of the national character. If it wasn't drugs it would be something else.

Why do you suppose nobody ever goes to the Philippine Islands on vacation?
i worked with Filipinos who said homeland or not,the place is a shithole...

The people voted and elected a president. If they wanted something different they would have voted for something different.

It is almost impossible for someone in the hunger of addiction to imagine something else.

I expect that California will fully legalize pot, then it's just a matter of stepping aside and letting them die. Abandon these poor soulless beings to whatever fate they want.

The people voted and elected a president. If they wanted something different they would have voted for something different.

It is almost impossible for someone in the hunger of addiction to imagine something else.

I expect that California will fully legalize pot, then it's just a matter of stepping aside and letting them die. Abandon these poor soulless beings to whatever fate they want.
and when that happens i hope they all congregate in front of your house and blow all that smoke your way.....you will have to go to the ER again...and be treated by a Mexican doctor.....now that would be hilarious....

and when that happens i hope they all congregate in front of your house and blow all that smoke your way.....you will have to go to the ER again...and be treated by a Mexican doctor.....now that would be hilarious....
My house MY HOUSE. Threats to my house are handled differently. I invite them in so they can be carried out.

Look at San Francisco and Denver where the homeless drug addicts are driving out everyone else.

Just slip in some adulterated product and watch the fun.

My house MY HOUSE. Threats to my house are handled differently. I invite them in so they can be carried out.

Look at San Francisco and Denver where the homeless drug addicts are driving out everyone else.

oh geezus....you have got to be the biggest bullshitter in this forum....oh and just for fun,how will you slip in something in their pot?....

oh geezus....you have got to be the biggest bullshitter in this forum....oh and just for fun,how will you slip in something in their pot?....
It doesn't have to be me! Where do you get that from? I'm not the only person who objects to the proliferation of drug addicts. Keep those overdose deaths coming. It's nature's way of clean up.

It doesn't have to be me! Where do you get that from? I'm not the only person who objects to the proliferation of drug addicts. Keep those overdose deaths coming. It's nature's way of clean up.
in other words all your big talk about killing druggies is bullshit.....like i told you long ago,you are the one who holds the coats while others do the actual work....oh and thanks for once again proving me right....

Then let the potties jump out of windows! Easy!

Ban windows. Easier.

Man fatally shoots himself after eating 5 marijuana candies US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

^ According to this post there have been other deaths reported previously ^

Here is one I find especially tragic since the people involved were only 19 and 23.
I thought the legal age was agreed to be 25 minimum to accommodate for brain development.
So what business did anyone have giving access to 20 year olds if it has been established this poses danger?

Pot Death Teen Leaps 4 Stories After Eating Marijuana Cookie

Pot Death: Teen Leaps 4 Stories After Eating Marijuana Cookie

Officials determined that marijuana intoxication, from cookies, was the chief contributing factor to the man’s death. (Photo: Getty Images)

A teenager in Colorado died after consuming an entire marijuana cookie that contained 6 servings of marijuana’s active ingredient, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), according to a new report.

The 19-year-old man had received a marijuana cookie from his friend, a 23-year-old who bought the product from a store. The sales clerk instructed the friend to divide the cookie into six pieces, with each piece containing about 10 mg of THC, the recommended serving size established by Colorado authorities.

At first, the 19-year-old followed these instructions, and ate just part of the cookie. But after about 30 to 60 minutes, he didn’t feel any effects, so he ate the rest of the cookie, according to the report, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

Over the next few hours, the man showed erratic speech and hostile behaviors, the report said. About 2.5 hours after he ate the whole cookie, he jumped off a balcony on the fourth floor of his building, and died from trauma from the fall, the report said.

Officials determined that marijuana intoxication was the chief contributing factor to the man’s death, which occurred in March 2014. An autopsy found that the man’s blood levels of THC were above the legal limit for driving a car in Colorado.

“This case illustrates a potential danger associated with recreational edible marijuana use,” the report said. [Where Americans Smoke and Grow Marijuana (Maps)]

In 2012, Colorado legalized the recreational use of marijuana, and stores selling the products opened in 2014.

Marijuana takes longer to have an effect when ingested as opposed to smoked. Peak blood levels of THC occur about 1 to 2 hours after ingestion of marijuana, compared to just 5 to 10 minutes after the drug is smoked.

Let's ban everything that leads to death.

The sun.
The lack of sun.
Potato chips.
Meat.
Cars.
Guns.
Men.
Knives.
Dogs.
Mosquitoes.
Countries.

Moderation is the key to happiness....have a good day...

This is like those stories when someone says to drink your water then people cite stories about someone trying to drink 40 gallons and dies...then goes "See? Water will kill you"

Woman dies after Wii contest

We all have strange little ways to find happiness. For years, I used to sleep too much and drinking a gallon of water a day was my answer. I just would not get out of bed for hardly any reason but feeling that gentle nudge below was a pleasant way to get up. It worked and I gradually slept less and less.

Trying to reason why people do this or that is ridiculous. There are so many easy ways to enjoy life, but I found out getting high or getting low and comfy in bed are two of the greatest falsities in life.

Forum List

Back