Anime characters are based on Asians and not westerners

Hi Kajune: The more you interact with different people, you will find this is universal, and expressed as in many diverse ways as there are people on the planet! In other words, each of us has our own version of what is "racist or biased" whether we are doing that or someone else is doing it to us.

Each of us is going to project OUR associations and expectations by nature of how we learn by comparisons.
This is human nature. So welcome to humanity!

Everyone does this but in different ways. If you think Asians aren't as racist, you just haven't heard the complaints.
Some even argue that Asians are the worst racists/supremacists of all, they just hide it better!

If you really want to know why this is so much more pronounced in American/Western culture, look at our media.
Look at our ways of communication and free speech. We have more freedom to say and do, so of course we
are going to project more outwardly. We speak our minds, even if that means sticking our feet in our mouths!

Other cultures that are not into all this individual freedom of expression may suppress and keep their thoughts
where we don't see this spoken, published or promoted OPENLY.

so even THAT is a Western bias because of our culture.

I found out the hard way my parents, both Asian or Vietnamese Buddhists, carry as much karma or garbage and pass that down, "projecting" their ways of life, as any OTHER parents do!

Just because you don't see as much mental illness and dysfuncational family garbage "in public" with Asian families
doesn't mean it isn't real or happening.

In America, everyone's garbage is aired out in the open, online, on TV, in public.
So we are just more OPEN about expressing and projecting our BS because we have that freedom.
We have a media that makes money off complaining, insult comedy, dark humor, etc.
So of course we are going to invite that kind of expression if we reward it.

Everyone projects, because that's how we learn from interacting in different environments with different people.

We just have different ways of expressing it. But the mental and spiritual process is the same.

All humanity goes through this learning curve. We all make mistakes in judgment and assume things based on our own experiences, which we "associate" or project onto people we think are part of THAT group. All humans do this.

And yes, you can call it racism or bigotry when it gets negative, hateful or judgmental.
All people judge by comparing with others. Until we learn how to forgive and correct the conflicts that bother us.

I wonder why many westerners especially from america insist that Anime characters are based on westerners.

When I was growing up on Speed Racer cartoons, I did not understand these were based on Asian artists, characters, models etc. I didn't know the difference.

Looking back, it is obvious they are Asian Anime type characters.

If Americans tend to look at things from a Western viewpoint that is just the process
of making sense of information using one's own familiar knowledge and background.

No big deal, just figure it out and no problem.

Christians also project views of how Christianity should be taught, and may be shocked when
other cultures and countries practice it differently. Buddhism is different in each country or culture that adopts it.

So of course with media and language and any form of music, art,communication,
this is going to be PERCEIVED and processed differently depending on the cultural context of the person or group. How is that any big shocker?

No because Asians never claim westerners making their cartoon/western characters based on Asians, it is just westerners especially from u.s.a who go on claiming things based on them, why is that?

No, the claims that Asians make about Americans would be from THEIR viewpoint and culture, not ours.

* Thich Nhat Hanh noticed that the Western culture is about DOING while the Eastern is about BEING.
* I have friends from India who question why do Americans rush to dump their Elderly parents into nursing homes,
while their culture is to adopt and take care of the Elderly parents in the children's homes, the same way the
parents had brought them up as children in their homes. While Americans have laws against child labor and abuse
that other countries don't seem to have established yet and let child military, labor, trafficking, sex sales and slavery go on.
* My mother questions why does Western Christianity emphasize depending on Jesus or God outside of yourself to save you, when the Eastern Buddhism focuses on making sure you are disciplined and spiritually minded and balanced within your own responsibility that you can control. Others will say why are the Tibetan Buddhists allowing violence and oppression to go on by being "so passive" it is dangerous; why does everyone always rely on Americans to invoke authority of law and justice in the world, depend on the West to act as police while complaining about it at the same time and not doing anything.
* Western culture emphasizes individual responsibility for one's own success, but comes across as competitive and selfish; while the Eastern emphasis on family honor and identify before one's own name can backfire and take away from the individual ability to act apart from a consensus and approval of others.

Do you see how there are differences in cultural values that even shape the question being asked?

It seems to me you are taking a Western biased question and trying to project that back on Asians saying why aren't they projecting the same way?

Simple, their way of projecting is going to be biased by their culture, not ours.
So of course it will come out different. So you answer your own question by posing it.

Here's a whole thread of art by a Chinese artist who attempts to bring this out:
Six Brilliant Illustrations of Chinese and Western Cultural Differences - The Atlantic

I also have a pair of spoofs I did on this series -- see links added below:
----- View image parking ----
----- View image Party ----

I think it is more of because that their parents teach them to have a racist believe that westerners are superior so that it cause them to believe that any other race must look bow down and look up to them, as a result this cause them to think that when other races are making something especially which become popular world wide such as Anime then it have to be based on them.

Hi Kajune: The more you interact with different people, you will find this is universal, and expressed as in many diverse ways as there are people on the planet! In other words, each of us has our own version of what is "racist or biased" whether we are doing that or someone else is doing it to us.

Each of us is going to project OUR associations and expectations by nature of how we learn by comparisons.
This is human nature. So welcome to humanity!

Everyone does this but in different ways. If you think Asians aren't as racist, you just haven't heard the complaints.
Some even argue that Asians are the worst racists/supremacists of all, they just hide it better!

If you really want to know why this is so much more pronounced in American/Western culture, look at our media.
Look at our ways of communication and free speech. We have more freedom to say and do, so of course we
are going to project more outwardly. We speak our minds, even if that means sticking our feet in our mouths!

Other cultures that are not into all this individual freedom of expression may suppress and keep their thoughts
where we don't see this spoken, published or promoted OPENLY.

so even THAT is a Western bias because of our culture.

I found out the hard way my parents, both Asian or Vietnamese Buddhists, carry as much karma or garbage and pass that down, "projecting" their ways of life, as any OTHER parents do!

Just because you don't see as much mental illness and dysfuncational family garbage "in public" with Asian families
doesn't mean it isn't real or happening.

In America, everyone's garbage is aired out in the open, online, on TV, in public.
So we are just more OPEN about expressing and projecting our BS because we have that freedom.
We have a media that makes money off complaining, insult comedy, dark humor, etc.
So of course we are going to invite that kind of expression if we reward it.

Everyone projects, because that's how we learn from interacting in different environments with different people.

We just have different ways of expressing it. But the mental and spiritual process is the same.

All humanity goes through this learning curve. We all make mistakes in judgment and assume things based on our own experiences, which we "associate" or project onto people we think are part of THAT group. All humans do this.

And yes, you can call it racism or bigotry when it gets negative, hateful or judgmental.
All people judge by comparing with others. Until we learn how to forgive and correct the conflicts that bother us.

I wonder why many westerners especially from america insist that Anime characters are based on westerners.

When I was growing up on Speed Racer cartoons, I did not understand these were based on Asian artists, characters, models etc. I didn't know the difference.

Looking back, it is obvious they are Asian Anime type characters.

If Americans tend to look at things from a Western viewpoint that is just the process
of making sense of information using one's own familiar knowledge and background.

No big deal, just figure it out and no problem.

Christians also project views of how Christianity should be taught, and may be shocked when
other cultures and countries practice it differently. Buddhism is different in each country or culture that adopts it.

So of course with media and language and any form of music, art,communication,
this is going to be PERCEIVED and processed differently depending on the cultural context of the person or group. How is that any big shocker?

No because Asians never claim westerners making their cartoon/western characters based on Asians, it is just westerners especially from u.s.a who go on claiming things based on them, why is that?

No, the claims that Asians make about Americans would be from THEIR viewpoint and culture, not ours.

* Thich Nhat Hanh noticed that the Western culture is about DOING while the Eastern is about BEING.
* I have friends from India who question why do Americans rush to dump their Elderly parents into nursing homes,
while their culture is to adopt and take care of the Elderly parents in the children's homes, the same way the
parents had brought them up as children in their homes. While Americans have laws against child labor and abuse
that other countries don't seem to have established yet and let child military, labor, trafficking, sex sales and slavery go on.
* My mother questions why does Western Christianity emphasize depending on Jesus or God outside of yourself to save you, when the Eastern Buddhism focuses on making sure you are disciplined and spiritually minded and balanced within your own responsibility that you can control. Others will say why are the Tibetan Buddhists allowing violence and oppression to go on by being "so passive" it is dangerous; why does everyone always rely on Americans to invoke authority of law and justice in the world, depend on the West to act as police while complaining about it at the same time and not doing anything.
* Western culture emphasizes individual responsibility for one's own success, but comes across as competitive and selfish; while the Eastern emphasis on family honor and identify before one's own name can backfire and take away from the individual ability to act apart from a consensus and approval of others.

Do you see how there are differences in cultural values that even shape the question being asked?

It seems to me you are taking a Western biased question and trying to project that back on Asians saying why aren't they projecting the same way?

Simple, their way of projecting is going to be biased by their culture, not ours.
So of course it will come out different. So you answer your own question by posing it.

Here's a whole thread of art by a Chinese artist who attempts to bring this out:
Six Brilliant Illustrations of Chinese and Western Cultural Differences - The Atlantic

I also have a pair of spoofs I did on this series -- see links added below:
----- View image parking ----
----- View image Party ----

I think it is more of because that their parents teach them to have a racist believe that westerners are superior so that it cause them to believe that any other race must look bow down and look up to them, as a result this cause them to think that when other races are making something especially which become popular world wide such as Anime then it have to be based on them.

No you are just making an assumption and that also the wrong one, what evidence is there to say Asians are racist? For a fact Asians are not making any racist organization such as what westerners have made with kkk that still continue to this day in stormfront and vnn, westerners are even racist in sport where sport supposedly the only thing in this world that can unite the world in peace.

No you are just making an assumption and that also the wrong one, what evidence is there to say Asians are racist? For a fact Asians are not making any racist organization such as what westerners have made with kkk that still continue to this day in stormfront and vnn, westerners are even racist in sport where sport supposedly the only thing in this world that can unite the world in peace.
re.

1. There have been whole genocides committed between Chinese and people from other regions based on their race.
The Chinese and Japanese were especially feared and hated because of their dominance. I had a friend write his PhD thesis on the perceptions of other countries of the Japanese hegemony and how that affected Southeast Asian economies.

2. Clashes between Asian business owners and black patrons. This even happened in my neighborhood, not only back in the 60s with a Chinese business owner in a confrontation with black customers and neighbors, but issues between certain Asians and Blacks in our neighborhood. I will tell you it was mutual, but if you are going to blame both sides, then one side is Asian.

3. NOTE: "forming organizations" already shows a Western/American bias. The Asian Buddhists who are clashing with Muslims in far east countries do NOT form "organizations" to do this, yet there is violence and war brewing over that bigotry.

Are you talking ONLY about racism in America? Is that what you are focused on?

I think you and I must be talking about two totally separate CONTEXTS
so that is why I look at the bigger picture of where similar clashes are happening with Asians.

As for American history, it is well known that the issues carried over from "white slave owners
of black slaves" have never been resolved, there has been a continuing cycle of poverty,
lack of land ownership by black where they didn't even own their OWN BODIES until
slavery was abolished and still haven't learned to own land to the degree of descendants
of business, bank and property owners with generations of this experience passed down.

That history did NOT affect Asians as it did Whites and Blacks especially in the South.
So maybe that is what you are talking about?

So that is why you will still see a lot more focus on black/white racism and
also native Americans, because of the GENOCIDE. With the Chinese, there were
Chinese slaves and workers abused for the railroads, and with the Japanese there
are reparations being pursued for the internment in camps during the War for being Japanese.
But for the Vietnamese, it is the opposite, where most of the Vietnamese who are upstanding
citizens are socialized to feel indebted to the Military, Vets and Americans who took them in
and fought during the Vietnam War. So there is NOT the same degree of black/white/slavery
issues with the Asians affecting the level of equality in education and ownership.

With Blacks and Native Americans, the genocide disrupted the family lines and inheritance,
and created suffering passed down from previous generations that needs to be healed first.

Most Asians I know have intact family lines or very strong connections with the elders
and ancestors that are not broken. The Vietnam War did cause some disruption between
the Vietnamese, where you will see them attack groups viciously, even doing illegal criminal
things, if they feel someone is supporting the VC government! So the racism is directed there
which is caused by the genocidal-level war that uprooted many of them separated from their families.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In general, I think you and I don't even approach the issue the same way.

I look at the person as an individual, who projects their perceptions and experiences as an individual first. This includes race, but is not the dominating factor. The common factor is what that individual has conditioned by their personal experience,
so that is different depending on their race or culture.

I know I am going to run into problems if I start saying "all blacks" or "most blacks" do this,
or "all Asians, Westerners, Christians, etc." do this or that.

The only way I know to AVOID making a group generalization is to take each individual case,
each person, and analyze what personal experience that particular person is projecting.

So even if Chinese and Vietnamese do not trust each other, or even if
Hindus and Muslims tend to clash, I would still have to address individual PEOPLE
to discuss an incident. It would be a mistake to take a general case and say that pattern is true for most of those people.

Sorry if we are not communicating very well on this.

If you have never run into Asian bigotry or racism,
maybe it's because you haven't kept up with the Vietnamese newspapers
and radio that are filled with gossip and things that would get other people sued for slander and libel.

Maybe Chinese people don't have the freedom of speech and press to say the
things they would say if they were in America.

Just because you don't hear what these people are saying
doesn't mean the bigotry against groups doesn't exist.

If you only judge by what you see happening in the Western media,
then your perception will be limited to that.

And I agree with you, Asian people do not go around airing their dirty laundry
in the media like others seem to do.

The most outspoken Asian that I can name is Michelle Malkin,
and YES people will say she is racist against immigrants etc. etc.

She wrote a whole book on the INVASION and has been
labeled all kinds of things for being conservative.

Most Asians I know who get into public media are either into Vietnamese or other ethnic shows that you and I would never hear about. Or Christian outreach.

In general, I find that if I talk with any person in depth about what they believe or understand by their experience,
there will be equal areas where they do NOT trust or understand a certain person or group and will not treat
that as equal to themselves. All people do this if you dig deep enough.

I have a clear bias against people who do drugs or promote it without teaching or accepting the consequences and costs,
so if someone like that is charged with a crime, my mind immediately tend to blame the drug use as a sign of poor judgment. Someone else may have a bias against Republicans or Christians,
Someone else against liberals or atheists.

I don't see this as based on race but social conditioning.
So the same is true of all people who are brought up with certain conditioning.

Nobody is going to be perfectly open minded and understanding of
"all people from all groups equally." Nobody is that perfect in our thinking.
So that's why I am saying we are all going to project in different ways.

If you are trying to compare Black and White Americans still conditioned by conflicts
carried over from slavery and the disparity in property ownership it caused,
then the equivalent of that in the Asian would be to look at how Asians
treat each other after the Vietnam War or the genocides in other wars,
and that has resulted in deep rooted hatred of Chinese, Japanese etc.
because that is the nationality that committed those atrocities against the others.

We'd have to compare similar situations to see how Asians are conditioned to
react for generations afterward until these wounds are fully healed.

Sorry for the long answer, but this is a deep issue.
People's conditioning is carried for generations so the larger context and history
must be considered to see where that animosity and distrust came from,
and estimate how many more generations it will take to work those injuries completely off the conscience.
I was told it can take 4 or 5 generations. Once healing is started, I think it takes 1-2 generations.

What you said are nonsense so I won't bother replying all of it.

Anyway, Japanese government also agrees Anime characters are based on Asians and not westerners
31b13e7a2ca84ddb483bc9536f6fccab.jpg

Forum List

Back