Angst In Democratic Ranks???

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.) will step down from the House Democrats’ campaign operation after the November elections to spend more time with his family, he told The Hill yesterday.

Emanuel has been a leading strategist, fundraiser, cheerleader and recruiter for House Democrats as chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) since the beginning of last year. His uncommon pairing of cunning efficiency and profanity-laced outbursts has won him both plaudits and opprobrium, but nearly all Democrats concede that he deserves substantial credit for their rosy election prospects this year.

“I served one term, and my kids are all at a certain point. They’ve had it,” Emanuel told The Hill. “I’ll do whatever the caucus wants in the sense of helping the next chairperson in any capacity, but I will not serve as chairman another cycle.” He and his wife, Amy, have three children under 10.

Although most DCCC chairmen serve only a single term, many Democrats welcomed Emanuel’s presence and held out hope he would serve a second term.

Emanuel’s comments came just as the DCCC was releasing its latest fundraising total. The DCCC raised $5.5 million in May, slightly behind its rival, the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC), which raised $5.6 million. The Democrats finished the month with $24.5 million on hand, compared with $21.9 million for the Republicans.

Across the Capitol, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee also beat its counterpart (see related story, Page 6).

Several of Emanuel’s colleagues were hopeful that he could be convinced to stay, noting that he had been reluctant to take the position when first offered it by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

“I hope he’ll change his mind. We’re going to have a battle royal in 2008, and we’ll need him.” said Rep. Artur Davis (D-Ala.). “He expressed the same concerns about family, about lack of time, the last time around.”

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) concurred.

“I bet there are a whole lot of members who are going to beg him not to leave. We’re not above groveling!” she quipped. Still, if he is resolved to step down, she called it a “good news, bad news” situation.

“He’s a supertough act to follow. It would be daunting for any member to step into his shoes,” she said. “But on the other hand he had created a tremendously solid foundation and firm ground to stand on for his successor.”

Emanuel has spent much time on the road in the past year, raising money and recruiting candidates. Pelosi joked in a recent interview that she sees more of his children than he does. He typically carries a leather portfolio filled with his children’s letters, photos and drawings, an aide said.

While traversing the country, he has been concerned about fundraising decisions in Washington at the Democratic National Committee (DNC). Emanuel reportedly stormed out of a meeting with DNC Chairman Howard Dean several weeks ago, exasperated that the Republican National Committee (RNC) had banked far greater reserves than its Democratic counterpart.

Asked whether Dean is doing a good job, Emanuel did not directly answer the question.

“We have the resources to do what we need to do to help our candidates,” he said. “The DCCC will stay competitive. ... This will be first cycle since 1994 that DCCC will be at dollar parity with the NRCC.”

At the end of May, the RNC had $43.1 million on hand while the DNC had $10.3 million.

Dean sent an e-mail to supporters yesterday defending his strategy of spending money on party operations in all 50 states rather than hoarding it for congressional races.

“We’re in the middle of our campaign to explain the 50-state strategy and answer questions about its purpose,” Dean told backers. He referred to a letter from Utah Democratic Party Chairman Wayne Holland Jr. calling the approach the “future of our party here in Utah.”

“‘Win for today’ is not a long-term strategy by itself, and it has left millions of Americans and vast areas of the country without a healthy political dialogue.

On ethics issues, Emanuel voiced support for Pelosi’s decision to oust Rep. William Jefferson (D-La.) from the Ways and Means Committee while he faces a government corruption investigation, citing the need to chart the high road on ethics.

“There’s a clear distinction between the two parties over how a member is supposed to conduct themselves. We threw Bill Jefferson off the committee. They gave [former Rep.] Tom DeLay [R-Texas] a standing ovation on the House floor.”

Some of DeLay’s former aides have pleaded guilty in a wide-ranging government corruption probe, and DeLay is under indictment in a Texas campaign-finance case.

Jefferson’s removal irked members of the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC), who felt he was being unfairly singled out. The group has criticized Emanuel, saying he failed to hire enough minority consultants and did not seek the caucus’s counsel. The Congressional Hispanic Caucus has at times registered similar concerns about Emanuel.

The DCCC chairman acknowledges that he has had a rocky relationship with some colleagues.

“There’s no doubt I could change my style and be more patient,” he conceded, noting that his wife had suggested they name a fourth child Patience as a “subtle reminder.”

But he argues that he does not play favorites.

“I am impatient, [but] I’m impatient with everybody. ... I push the Blue Dogs as hard as I push the New Democrats as hard as I push the CBC. Either you do or don’t believe this is a historical election.”

He lamented a lack of effort from some of his colleagues.

“I’ve ruffled feathers with a purpose. There’s a sclerosis that’s set in. I’ve ruffled feathers of elder members of caucus with intention of recruiting younger members. I’ve ruffled of New Democrats and Blue Dogs. I’ve ruffled feathers, no doubt about it.”

http://www.thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/062106/news1.html

Forum List

Back