Anders Breivik Sentenced to 21 Years in Jail

I expected him to get 21 years. But when that 21 years is over, he will still never be released.

You know what makes me laugh? The EU praised Scandinavian member states in 2004 on the "harmonious nature" of their holiday camp prisons. Yet they condemned Britain, France and Spain for maintaining "draconian and barbaric conditions" in their prisons.

Smug Scandinavians must be laughing on the other side of their faces now, seeing as they base their penal systems on that of Norway. And yes, I know that Norway isn't in the EU.

I expected him to get 21 years. But when that 21 years is over, he will still never be released.

The problem is there is always a chance he will be. 21 years means he got to kill 3 people per year he is going to serve.

Breivik sentence could see him free in a decade; Families of shooter's 77 victims blast killer getting only 21-year penalty...
:mad:
I wish he'd got 21 years for each of his 77 victims: Mother of teenager slain by Breivik attacks sentence that could see him free in a decade
25 August 2012 - Unni Espeland Marcussen's 16-year-old daughter died in shooting spree; She said the killer 'knew what he had done'; He will serve a minimum of ten years in prison for brutal slaughter of innocent people; Under Norwegian law, this sentence can be extended indefinitely if the inmate is still considered to be dangerous; Breivik made a fascist salute as he arrived in court today; He was judged to have been sane at the time of the killings so will be sent to jail rather than a mental hospital; He has admitted the murders and wanted to be declared sane so his actions wouldn't be dismissed as those of a madman; He planted bomb at Norwegian government HQ, killing eight; Then went on shooting spree at youth camp on nearby island and killed 69 - half of them teenagers
Anders Breivik was yesterday sentenced to 21 years in prison for the murder of 77 people. The Norwegian right-wing fanatic, who set off a bomb in Oslo then went on a gun rampage at a youth camp last summer, was given the longest term allowed in the country – but could be out in as little as ten years. The length of the sentence was immediately attacked by the mother of one of his victims, who said it should have been 21 years for each of those who died. Unni Espeland Marcussen, whose 16- year-old daughter Andrine was one of Breivik’s last victims, said: ‘I feel happiness because he was a man who all the time knew what he has done. ‘I think he should get 21 years for each he murdered. But I also know when the time comes that he should maybe get his freedom, they have to find if he is dangerous for society still, and if he is he won’t come out.’

Breivik will serve his time in a conventional prison after winning a court battle to be declared sane. Prosecutors had asked for an insanity ruling but the five judges in Oslo district court yesterday disagreed. Wearing a dark suit and sporting a thin beard, Breivik grinned as he walked into court, giving a clenched-fist salute. Later the 33-year-old appeared to smirk as Judge Wenche Elisabeth Arntzen read the ruling, describing him as sane enough to be held criminally responsible. The mass killer now faces isolation but considerable comfort in a high-security prison, with the exclusive use of three 86  sq  ft cells – a bedroom, an exercise room and a study.

Officials at Oslo’s Ila Prison say the ambition will be eventually to transfer Breivik to a section with others and access to a school, library, gym, work in prison shops and other activities. It was unclear last night whether prosecutors would appeal but officials can prevent Breivik’s release indefinitely if he still poses a threat. Breivik was allowed to address the court after sentencing but had to be cut off by the judge when it appeared he was about to apologise for not killing more people. ‘I would like to apologise to all militant nationalists in Norway and Europe,’ he said, before being closed down by the judge. Some survivors of his killing spree and relatives of those who died were also in court yesterday and welcomed the apparent legal end to their ordeal.

Per Balch Soerensen, whose daughter was among those killed, said: ‘Now we won’t hear about him for quite a while. Now we can have peace and quiet.’ Alexandra Peltre, 18, who Breivik shot in the thigh, said: ‘He is getting what he deserves. I do not care if he is insane or not, as long as he gets the punishment that he deserves.’ Tore Sinding Bekkedal, another survivor, said: ‘I am very relieved and happy about the outcome. ‘I believe he is mad, but it is political madness and not psychiatric madness – he is a pathetic and sad little person.’ Breivik repeatedly denied prosecution claims he was insane, insisting he was a political prisoner. He justified his killing spree arguing that the centre-left Labour Party was destroying the nation by encouraging Muslim immigration.

MORE

You know what makes me laugh? The EU praised Scandinavian member states in 2004 on the "harmonious nature" of their holiday camp prisons..

Why does it make you laugh that Scandinavia has effective prisons?

The numbers of recidivism in the UK are far higher than those in Finland - laugh all you want.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why he wasn't charged and sentenced for each death? 21 years for each death would have been better - why didn't this happen?

Does anyone know why he wasn't charged and sentenced for each death? 21 years for each death would have been better - why didn't this happen?

Norway does not have consecutive sentencing, they use cumulative sentencing.

In other words, each sentence is served at once, not end-to-end as they are in the US.

Norway does not have consecutive sentencing, they use cumulative sentencing.

In other words, each sentence is served at once, not end-to-end as they are in the US.

Ugh. That is one thing they should change.

You guys fucking act like they can just circumvent their laws at whim to suit each and every case.

There's a very good likelihood that their laws will be reevaluated and pushed for change in light of this. Norway isn't a country that experiences violence much at all, let alone on this level.

Don't fucking equate the lack of extreme severity in their laws to mean that they like to go easy on mass murderers, or murderers in general.

That's basically imprisoning people for 'thought crimes', because they might offend again. How draconian!

Umm...since when has murdering 80 people been a "thought crime"?

You said he could be held under 'preventative' measures. What is holding someone who has served their sentence - to prevent them from doing something else if it is not a 'thought crime'.

Forum List

Back