And you wonder why Americans are fat.

Prescription for healthy body weight: Eat less food - walk more. Be mindful of what you are stuffing down your throat. Most people can lose 5-10 lbs in a month just by being aware of how much they eat and when they eat it. I recommend keeping a food journal for a week- if it goes in the mouth- it goes in the journal! It's simple, but it ain't easy!!

Prescription for failure at most anything - follow government recommendations and guidelines. :lol:

Prescription for healthy body weight: Eat less food - walk more. Be mindful of what you are stuffing down your throat. Most people can lose 5-10 lbs in a month just by being aware of how much they eat and when they eat it. I recommend keeping a food journal for a week- if it goes in the mouth- it goes in the journal! It's simple, but it ain't easy!!

Prescription for failure at most anything - follow government recommendations and guidelines. :lol:
cute. LOL

Actually I don't because it's certainly not a wonder. In fact, the answer is simple - some simply like to pig-out. Personally I believe over-eating is a physical manifestation of a psychological imbalance not unlike alcohol or drug addiction.

If you eat plenty of fruits and veges-then you eat plenty of carbs.

Finally you see that a low carb diet is more than sufficient. So do you realize now that you probably east too many carbs?

I eat a lot of carbs-but the overwhelming majority of carbs I intake are fruits and veges, oatmeal, and sometimes whole wheat pasta. Of course I consume a good amount of protein as well. But my point is consuming few carbs isn't good for you. "Good carbs" can provide you with tons of energy and are great for you (obviously provided to actually get off your ass and use the energy).

What percentage of your calories comes from sugar?

My calorie breakdown is less than 10% carbs, 50% protein, and the remainder in fats.

I have plenty of energy and I do it without spiking insulin levels constantly.

Far fewer Americans were obese the day before the standards were changed 15 years ago. Millions of people went to bed normal weight and woke up obese.

Finally you see that a low carb diet is more than sufficient. So do you realize now that you probably east too many carbs?

I eat a lot of carbs-but the overwhelming majority of carbs I intake are fruits and veges, oatmeal, and sometimes whole wheat pasta. Of course I consume a good amount of protein as well. But my point is consuming few carbs isn't good for you. "Good carbs" can provide you with tons of energy and are great for you (obviously provided to actually get off your ass and use the energy).

My calorie breakdown is less than 10% carbs, 50% protein, and the remainder in fats.

I've learned the hard way that the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (5-6 days low/no carbs, one day to cheat) works great for me but has 3 major drawbacks.

1. It's expensive.
2. The chemicals in processed meat hurt me it turns out
3. Favorite things like many fruits are out.

Other than that, I didn't crave sweets so much as the crunch of potato chips and celery or nuts just didn't cut it. Pork Rinds were good but often too salty or full of bad chemicals. Sigh... c'est la vie!

I've learned the hard way that the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (5-6 days low/no carbs, one day to cheat) works great for me but has 3 major drawbacks.

1. It's expensive.

Other than that, I didn't crave sweets so much as the crunch of potato chips and celery or nuts just didn't cut it. Pork Rinds were good but often too salty or full of bad chemicals. Sigh... c'est la vie!

I don't cycle my calories like that. I try to eat uniformly every day and overall I'm better than 90% successful

Carbs are probably around 40-50% depending on the day, Protein around 40% depending on the day, and the rest is fat. So it's not like I neglect protein. I find that carbs provide a great source of energy for exercising and when I play hockey (I eat them the day before a game-not on the actual day). My blood sugar levels have always been normal, and my insulin never spikes (good carbs rise it but don't "spike" it). Refined sugars, white grain absolutely spike blood sugar levels-but I stay away from them as much as possible. A normal day for me starts with a bowl of oatmeal/whole wheat cereal. Lunch is usually a combo of veges/fruit. Dinner I have a good portion of protein (like chicken). And throughout the day I do take a protein shake.

edit: I will admit though if I didn't workout everyday then the carbs would be a little too much.

Last edited:

1. It's expensive.

I don't cycle my calories like that. I try to eat uniformly every day and overall I'm better than 90% successful
wish I had your metabolism.

Losing weight and getting into shape is very simple (not easy): eat healthy AND exercise. It's surprising how little Americans know about simple basics: such as the difference between good carbs and bad carbs-so many people write all carbs off as bad, and they should be avoided at all costs. It just takes tons of dedicated-I used to obese and lost about 80 lbs (and gained quite a bit muscle mass), just by burning off more calories then I take in, and taking a multi-vitamin every day.

Not easy?
Says you.

I've lost a significant amount of weight and it's been quite easy. Effortless in fact. I keep my insulin levels under control by cutting out the carbs and refined sugars. I eat meat and eggs, veggies, fruits and nuts and I drink ample amounts of water on any given day. I'm rarely hungry and I don't have those spikes in my insulin levels that leave me tired and craving something sweet. I work out on a regular basis now and honestly, I've never felt better. The past four months have been some of the easiest weight loss I've ever experienced. I know I can eat whatever I want. I now choose to eat healthy foods. It's as simple as that.

Fruits and veges are examples of carbs. Some nuts also have a significant amount of carbs. You did not "cut out the carbs".

This is true. I haven't cut out all the carbs. Just the bad ones.

I believe that any weight loss changes need to start in your head first. One needs to decide all own their own that they are going to make changes in thier life in regards to their overall health. If that commitment is made, the rest of the process flows freely and easily. To rid one's mind of negative thoughts regarding 'diet', exercise, wieght loss and the way they view themselves is another step forward on the road to healthfullness.

A 'diet' to me is what I eat, or not eat. I currently eat a healthy diet. I am not on a diet. I am not going to get to that magic number on the scale just to go back to my old unhealthy habits. In fact, the scale matters little to me these days.

I've spent the past 40+ years eating whatever I want. In doing so I learned to dislike myself and my habits but never did much about it past a 'diet' I put myself on ... miserable the whole time. But now, well now is different. I no longer feel the need or desire to eat all those snacks and foods loaded with fats and carbs. Been there, done that. I have made a commitment to myself and my body that I am going to spend the second half of my Life as healthy as I possibly can.

I remember back to those nights when I'd sit in front of the television, or on the computer, munching on something out of a box or bag. I'd go to bed and wake the next morning feeling like hell and that is when the self-abuse would start. I'd spend the day beating myself up, telling myself I was a bad person who had no self-control. Well I'm happy to report that those days are long gone, never to return again. Even if I eat something hot mexican dip (homemade) with multigrain Tostitos Scoops (like I did during the Pats game last weekend) I accept what I did and refuse to battle it out inside my head.

Change the way you think about food and yourself and wonderful things will happen.

Forum List

Back