The 17 Best Snacks to Eat If You Have Diabetes

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
best-snacks-for-diabetes-1534534655.png

As a diabetic Iā€™m thrilled to learn this!

How to choose a diabetes-friendly snack

First thingā€™s first, ask yourself: Am I really hungry? ā€œThereā€™s a delicate balance between eating throughout the day and grazing at every opportunity,ā€ says Stefanski. ā€œBetween meals only choose to eat if you are physically hungry; not bored, not stressed, but physically in need of food.ā€ Then, keep these tips in mind when you head for the fridge:

āœ”ļø Mind your macros

ā€œEating your macronutrients in a good balance to prevent a low blood sugar is a much better approach then constantly trying to correct it,ā€ explains Stefanski.

Carbohydrates: Your body digests carbs quickly, which can spike your blood sugar. To avoid this, go for no more than a serving (roughly 15 grams) when snacking. Fiber-rich whole grains and vegetables are your friend, since your body digests those more slowly.

ā—ā€œSteer clear of counting net carbs when you have diabetes,ā€ says Stefanski. ā€œWhile net carbs subtract both fiber and sugar alcohols (like sorbitol or xylitol) from the carb count, some sugar alcohols can still raise blood sugar about half as much as a regular carb.ā€

Protein: Your body digests protein slowly as well, meaning youā€™ll feel fuller for longer. A serving of at least 7 grams should do the trick.

Fat: Steer clear of ultra-processed snacks, which tend to be high in saturated fats. If you are including fat within your snack (say, the unsaturated kind that has been linked to improved insulin resistance) you still need to watch your calories, as they can add up quickly.

āœ”ļø Check your timing

ā€œIf it has been less than 2 to 3 hours since your last meal, look for a low-carb snack, ideally something with less than 15 grams of carbs, so focus on veggies, protein, and fat,ā€ explains Lori Zanini, RD, certified diabetes educator, and author of the Diabetes Cookbook and Meal Plan for the Newly Diagnosed. If it has been longer than that, go for one serving of carbs and a serving of protein.

āœ”ļø Cap your calories

This will vary depending on your size and activity levels, but Stefanski recommends staying within 150 to 250 calories.

The best snacks to eat if you have diabetes
Greek Yogurt with berries

Beef or chicken jerky

Hard-boiled eggs [I love ā€˜em!]

Cottage cheese with tomatoes

Cheese crisps

Veggies and dip

Black olives

Pickled food

Chia pudding

Mixed nuts

Avocado + turkey lettuce cup

Flavored pumpkin seeds

Trail mix [another favorite]

Popcorn [canā€™t get enough]

String cheese

Roasted chickpeas [?]

A small apple with peanut butter

All of this from The 17 Healthiest Snack Ideas for Diabetics

and do you know the serving amounts....gotta pay attention to that....weight is a major factor...try to get it down...and exercise..you cant just eat all you want....

bread is my problem....

and a lot of people get that carb flu and it does make you tired not to have carbs

so far just metformin 500 mg x 2 a day

I take a precautionary timed release 500mg Metformin because of a family history of diabetes. Fiber One and oatmeal cookies do me proud.

A friend of mine who has been a type 1 diabetic since she was a little kid does well with popcorn and nachos.

Or if her sugar is low a glass of OJ.

Just no beer. She tends to go a little crazy when she drinks beer. She even got arrested once when we were at an air show. She punched a cop in the nose.

Forum List

Back