And WHO is Louis Gates, anyway?

And, had Gates complained to the courts instead of, say, telling the cop that he'd talk with HISMAMMA outside and causing a general ruckus.....

So you're calling playground rules to justify an arrest? Maybe Crowley could have given Gates a wedgy and called it even.

like I said.. berate a cop yourself and see what happens to you. feel free.

I don't make a habit of berating cops. I don't make a habit of berating anyone. But if you fuck with me in my house, well, go ahead, see what happens to you.

So you're calling playground rules to justify an arrest? Maybe Crowley could have given Gates a wedgy and called it even.

I don't make a habit of berating cops. I don't make a habit of berating anyone. But if you fuck with me in my house, well, go ahead, see what happens to you.

:rofl:

yea.. i'm sure the police force in your town is quaking at the knees right now.

:thup:

Regarding the OP... if anyone is interested in reading beyond the talking heads and scrolling tickers..

Amazon.com: Colored People: A Memoir (9780679739197): Henry Louis Gates Jr.: Books
From Library Journal
The man touted as America's most celebrated black scholar reminisces to his daughters about his boyhood in the polluted, dying Allegheny Mountains' papermill town of Piedmont, West Virginia. Laying out the social and emotional topography of a world shifting from segregation to integration and from colored to Negro to black, Gates evokes a bygone time and place as he moves from his birth in 1949 to 1969, when he goes off to Yale University after a year at West Virginia's Potomac State College. His pensive and sometimes wistful narrative brims with the mysteries and pangs and lifelong aches of growing up, from his encounters with sexuality, to the discovery of intellectual exhilaration as he is marked to excel in school, to his suffering a crippling injury to one of his legs and struggling frightfully for his father's respect. There is much to recommend this book as a story of boyhood, family, segregation, the pre-Civil Rights era, and the era when Civil Rights filtered down from television to local reality. Highly recommended.
--Thomas J. Davis, SUNY at Buffalo
Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

It's a good read if you are into memoirs and bios and such. Worth checking out given the media attention he's been given. Maybe you can go get a copy signed for me!

I read a bit of it a while back at a friend's. If I get a chance to get you an autographed copy, I sure will, Shogun.

And, had Gates complained to the courts instead of, say, telling the cop that he'd talk with HISMAMMA outside and causing a general ruckus.....

I've seen a lot of cops be berated. Sometimes they react, sometimes they don't. I don't recommend anyone doing it but I'll defend anyone's right to do so in situations where permitted by law, such as in Gates' case.

I'm blond, blue eyed, and used to be young. The police have always been very nice to me. Until I get stopped with my family. Its the oddest thing. All of a sudden the same stop for a dead headlight that took 3 minutes a year past, (and again just a few months ago, alone in the car) takes a second cruiser, flashlights everywhere, and my fifteen-year-old asked for ID. The whole time her father is telling me to settle down, that its standard practice, I'm snarling back that, "like hell it is." And no, I didn't tell them about their momma, I took the ticket with the bill for my replaced headlight to the court and complained.

Good for you! Did you get a positive result?

There are ONLY TWO private residences on that street and Gates has been head of his department for some time. I am sure the caller knew exactly who lived in that house!

Mapquest Street View of 16 Ware Street.

Gates said in his press release he was grateful to the neighbor who called. So unwad your panties.

In addition, the cop asked Gates to step outside. Gates didn't follow him out there to hassle him. You can hear it on the tape. The cop says "thank you for cooperating, now you're under arrest."

In addition, the cop asked Gates to step outside. Gates didn't follow him out there to hassle him. You can hear it on the tape. The cop says "thank you for cooperating, now you're under arrest."

Do you have a link to the tape?

If Crowley ordered him outside and immediately arrested him, that conflicts with Crowley's report and supports what Gates has reported. that the moment he stepped outside, he was arrested. That would put to rest all this talk about a public disturbance.

Do you have a link to the tape?

If Crowley ordered him outside and immediately arrested him, that conflicts with Crowley's report and supports what Gates has reported. that the moment he stepped outside, he was arrested. That would put to rest all this talk about a public disturbance.
Cambridge releases Gates arrest 911 tapes - BostonHerald.com
I didn't hear it.

Do Gates tapes tell whole story?
Posted by Joe Dwinell at 1:56 pm
There’s no smoking gun in the Gates tapes, but that doesn’t mean Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. is never heard. You can detect his voice in the background. But, does it put this debate to rest?

• Gates is not screaming. He is objecting to something.
  • The 911 caller — Lucia Whalen — is correct when she says she did not identify Gates as “black.” But, she tells a police dispatcher the man could be “Hispanic.”
  • An”older woman” on Ware Street is the one first worried about two men pushing their way into the professor’s house.
  • Also, nobody ever pipes up to say Henry Louis Gates Jr. is a noted Harvard scholar. (It’s a lot to expect, but he is well known in some circles.)
  • The quote from the tapes? “Keep the cars coming,” says Sgt. James Crowley when saying his “uncooperative gentleman” he’s dealing with won’t cease and desist.
  • The 911 caller added she spotted “two suitcases” on the porch of the professor’s house (she didn’t know whose house it was at the time.)
  • A signal, perchance, that somebody had just come home? Still, what cop doesn’t walk up to a “possible B&E in progress” call not concerned about their life and the lives of others?
  • On WEEI’s Dennis & Callahan show, Sgt. Crowley says he “wasn’t sure what he was dealing with.” That’s a key to this entire episode … a cop needs to protect his life so he can get the job done.
  • “From the time he opened the door, he seemed upset. Put off by me,” the sergeant says on WEEI.
BostonHerald.com - Blogs: City Desk Wired

Then please explain it to Me.

What your post suggests is you do not have a problem with a police officer unlawfully arresting and detaining you, even if they believe no convictable crime has been committed.
I did not say it was unlawful for a LEO to arrest someone for disorderly conduct. The State of MA has ruled that they won't be convicted of it. Do you get the difference yet?

What they are saying is that we simply won't bother with it. A Police officer still has the right to protect his/herself even if the DA will not press for a conviction.

Protect himself? Are you now claiming that Gates was a threat to Crowley? I don't see that anywhere in the report or subsequent interviews with Crowley. Are you making that up?

But you do seem to believe that making an arrest for the sake of making an arrest is OK. Yelling at a cop isn't a crime, can't be prosecuted in MA. Looks like an unlawful arrest.

So you're telling me if someone is yelling and screaming at you in an uncontrolled manner, that you don't feel threatened?

I did not say it was unlawful for a LEO to arrest someone for disorderly conduct. The State of MA has ruled that they won't be convicted of it. Do you get the difference yet?

What they are saying is that we simply won't bother with it. A Police officer still has the right to protect his/herself even if the DA will not press for a conviction.

Protect himself? Are you now claiming that Gates was a threat to Crowley? I don't see that anywhere in the report or subsequent interviews with Crowley. Are you making that up?

But you do seem to believe that making an arrest for the sake of making an arrest is OK. Yelling at a cop isn't a crime, can't be prosecuted in MA. Looks like an unlawful arrest.

So you're telling me if someone is yelling and screaming at you in an uncontrolled manner, that you don't feel threatened?

Yelling and screaming in an uncontrolled manner? I haven't heard that from anyone regarding Gates behavior. The most vivd account is that he was yelling. Listening to the tapes I don't find any support for that. He sounds like he is speaking loudly, but I don't hear any yelling. Supporting this is the fact that Gates has a freaking lung infection.

You can not demonstrate by eyewitness or police accounts that anyone was "yelling and screaming uncontrolled". That is your imagination. That's what you want to beleive.

Not me, I'm married :D

Not me, I'm married :D
:lol::lol::lol:

Yelling and screaming in an uncontrolled manner? I haven't heard that from anyone regarding Gates behavior. The most vivd account is that he was yelling. Listening to the tapes I don't find any support for that. He sounds like he is speaking loudly, but I don't hear any yelling. Supporting this is the fact that Gates has a freaking lung infection.

You can not demonstrate by eyewitness or police accounts that anyone was "yelling and screaming uncontrolled". That is your imagination. That's what you want to beleive.

I didn't even hear him raise his voice until the end of the transmission tape (which seemed to be after the arrest, as the police were calling for the 'wagon'). Certainly nothing "tumultuous", as Crowley put it.

As far as him transmitting to keep the cars coming? More CYA.

After all, he needed to get people gathered around the front of the house so Gates could disturb their 'peace'. Nothing gets neighbors and passersby gawking quite like a bunch of police cars pulling up in front of a house.

Forum List

Back