...and the wussification of America's youth rages on

WTF are you talking about---the kid was on a team. The other teams thought he was too good so they booted him. This is ALL about competition. Go ahead--destroy it and watch what happens.
The article I read said the other kids on his team also weren't being allowed to pitch. The coach forbade him from pitching for a few games, and when the coach finally let him pitch, the other team forfeit because he was pitching.

A coach should do what he feels is best for the team. If winning is all that matters, then I'm sure he'd have agreed with you. If teamwork mattered more, then he'd have a different view. If the rest of the season consisted of forfeited games, no one on the team would be playing.

Why must he only consider your view...the view of some blowhard on a message board.

:badgrin:

The article I read said the other kids on his team also weren't being allowed to pitch. The coach forbade him from pitching for a few games, and when the coach finally let him pitch, the other team forfeit because he was pitching.

A coach should do what he feels is best for the team. If winning is all that matters, then I'm sure he'd have agreed with you. If teamwork mattered more, then he'd have a different view. If the rest of the season consisted of forfeited games, no one on the team would be playing.

Why must he only consider your view...the view of some blowhard on a message board.

:badgrin:

No one would be playing because the other coaches were afraid to COMPETE.

No one would be playing because the other coaches were afraid to COMPETE.
So the coach made it so most of the team was allowed to play...and this is a bad thing? The rest of the team should give up sports because of one kid?

I don't think so.

What an entitlement junkie you are.

So the coach made it so most of the team was allowed to play...and this is a bad thing? The rest of the team should give up sports because of one kid?

I don't think so.

What an entitlement junkie you are.

What article did you read ??? The kid got kicked out of the league and his team was disbanded. Why? Because the other coaches bitched that he was too good.

I'll take the pragmatic view here and assume that the other kids’ parents are rightly concerned about injuries and overly intense competition. In both sports and academics it is a good idea to segregate the highest achievers and put them in a more challenging environment. This benefits everyone.

Absolutely the BEST post on this thread!!!!

your approach, brings safety to the other children and actually can glorify the young, successful pitcher by moving him up on to a team for more experienced, older players....it's like being skipped a grade up in school....that is something special, and something to be proud of...like moving this young pitcher up to an older aged league....like going from the minors to the majors....he will also strengthen his skills by being among those stronger or more experienced than him....

I like it Glock....works out for the kid that excelled also.....

Care

your approach, brings safety to the other children and actually can glorify the young, successful pitcher by moving him up on to a team for more experienced, older players....it's like being skipped a grade up in school....that is something special, and something to be proud of...like moving this young pitcher up to an older aged league....like going from the minors to the majors....he will also strengthen his skills by being among those stronger or more experienced than him....

Care

Too bad the entire league will miss out on the opportunity to compete against and learn from the best.
Won't they be shocked when they get out there and have to compete in the real world and the skilled players are going to kick their ass day after day and no one is going to say " this guy is too good---he's making all the other players feel bad " we're gonig to have to fire him.

Care

But this is taking a LOT of assumptions... does the kid excel at all aspects of the game or just throwing a fastball? Is it right to move him up if he is not on a 11-13 year old level in all aspects of the game? Does not the kid have a right to play with other children his age?

You mention being skipped a grade in school... but isn't that voluntary? You don't see school systems forcibly having kids skip grades...

This is indeed an extension of wussiness brought out by the kumbaya lefties

Care
So do I get my boobie pic PM'd to me now? :eusa_shifty:

Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

Perhaps sour grapes more than concern for child safety at work here.

What article did you read ??? The kid got kicked out of the league and his team was disbanded. Why? Because the other coaches bitched that he was too good.
I see the story I read was wrong.

The league said he couldn't pitch because his fast ball was 40 mph and the parents were afraid someone would get hurt.

Is it a valid complaint?

Why not, as someone else suggested, move him up to an older group of kids?

I'm sure the lawyers will sort it out.

hahahahaha! sheesh, is this what it is all about for men!!!!! lmao...

and the answer is most certainly NO! :eusa_boohoo:

Care

What if I show you mine?

Man_Boobs.jpg

:lol:

I'll take the pragmatic view here and assume that the other kids’ parents are rightly concerned about injuries and overly intense competition. In both sports and academics it is a good idea to segregate the highest achievers and put them in a more challenging environment. This benefits everyone.

A sensible supposition, methinks.

:(But it's NOT FAIR!!! that someone should be more talented than someone else. BOO HOOO:(

Another nail in the coffin of America and what made her great.

There's always more to the story.

The league’s side of the story is that after each of the three games that Jericho pitched for the Will Power Fitness team, parents and opposing coaches complained that his throws were too fast and were frightening the batters. The league decided that Jericho could not pitch anymore but offered to let him play other positions. They reportedly also offered to move Jericho up to the older players’ league, but his mother declined.
Jericho’s mom, Nicole Scott, reportedly threatened the league with lawsuits and league officials with bodily harm. According to the league, Scott said, “This will be the last year. Once the lawyer is done they’re gonna eat shit and there ain’t gonna be a league next year.”
New Haven Independent: Latino Little League Strikes Back

Sounds more like a case of an idiotic parent than anything else. Good job, Mom, teach little Johnny that it's fine to break the rules and then sue someone else for your own wrong doing.

:eusa_clap:

Personal responsibility strikes again.

No, it's not a valid complaint to worry about the other kids' safety. There are other kids on other teams IN THE SAME LEAGUE who throw just as hard. Some of them have hit other players, Jericho has NOT. The team that brought this subject up was the champions from the past 3 years, they are very well connected in the community, and didn't want Jericho to play because they didn't want to give up their championship which had been theirs for the past 3 years. This is all about manipulation and being unfair.

No, it's not a valid complaint to worry about the other kids' safety. There are other kids on other teams IN THE SAME LEAGUE who throw just as hard. Some of them have hit other players, Jericho has NOT. The team that brought this subject up was the champions from the past 3 years, they are very well connected in the community, and didn't want Jericho to play because they didn't want to give up their championship which had been theirs for the past 3 years. This is all about manipulation and being unfair.

Shouldn't kids be out playing games and having fun in their
free time? Instead they are sent to work living out the fantasies of their parents and competing in dangerous sports where parents display ugly and aggressive behavior on the sidelines. Sports mania is destroying what's left of the good old fashioned American childhood.

The children's sports industry and controlling parents are more of a threat to the future of American ingenuity than that other nonsense about conformity to mediocrity that brilloschmuck has been whining about.

Last edited:
free time? Instead they are sent to work living out the fantasies of their parents and competing in dangerous sports where parents display ugly and aggressive behavior on the sidelines. Sports mania is destroying what's left of the good old fashioned American childhood.

The children's sports industry and controlling parents are more of a threat to the future of American ingenuity than that other nonsense about conformity to mediocrity that brilloschmuck has been whining about.

Amen!

Hey Parents:

A lot of kids WON'T make the High School Team. Of those that do, only a handful will get a scholarship to play in college. Of those who play in college, only a fraction will get picked to go Pro.

Quit living through your kids............

(this of course doesn't effect anyone on here I'm sure, I'm just saying.....)

So little league is dangerous now? And here's a news flash: WINNING IS FUN!!!!!!!

We have our kids play sports so they learn the value of being on a team, so they learn that competition is good, so they learn to win and lose with grace, so they learn discipline and perseverance and sacrifice and yes they can have fun too. It is possible to learn all these great life lessons and still have fun. However it is not possible to learn these lessons if we play games with no winners or losers where people with talent are held back just because they have talent in order to spare someone else the pain of losing.

So little league is dangerous now? And here's a news flash: WINNING IS FUN!!!!!!!

We have our kids play sports so they learn the value of being on a team, so they learn that competition is good, so they learn to win and lose with grace, so they learn discipline and perseverance and sacrifice and yes they can have fun too. It is possible to learn all these great life lessons and still have fun. However it is not possible to learn these lessons if we play games with no winners or losers where people with talent are held back just because they have talent in order to spare someone else the pain of losing.

I learned all those things as a child playing with other children without ever playing on a sports team. And we got to express our creativity also.

Forum List

Back