The Family Man {a film script} mature content

Autodidact_33

Jan 10, 2013
Canada
The Family Man

an original screenplay by Matthew Bissonnette and John Windsor

Ext. A forest Path Morning

A forest in late autumn. A wind blows through the forest, blowing leafs of the tree's which fall slowly towards the ground. The floor of the forest is covered with decaying leafs. A dirt path cuts through the forest and a man dressed in hunting attire, elderly Edger Price, walks down the path holding a rifle. A small dog follows him. Edger stops, turns and looks at his dog.

Edger Price

Haven't you found a scent of a deer yet? Some hunting dog you are.

The dog sits down and wags his tail. Edger then looks around the forest.

EDGER PRICE

Hunting has been lousy this year any ways.

Edger then see's something metallic and shiny partially covered by leafs on the floor of the forest near the trail. He walks over and looks down. It is a expensive gold watch.

EDGER PRICE

Seems this is my lucky day.

Edger goes to pick it up, but when he does it pulls up a skeletal arms now protruding up through the leafs.

Ext. Over forest Seconds later

A view of the forest passing underneath. Edger is screaming.

Ext. Dover morning

The town of Dover in the distance. Dover is a large town surrounded by forests and secluded valleys.

Ext. Dover Seconds later

Several different scenes of the streets of Dover. Shops and businesses line main street, a large church is near the center of town. There is also a park near a river. It is a early weekday morning and the streets are mostly empty. Near one end of town is a street of large homes, at the end of the street is the home of the Hudson family, a white house with a large front yard.

Int. Bedroom of the Hudson Home Seconds later

A large bedroom furnished with expensive furniture, a oak dresser and large bed over which hangs a silk canopy. A attractive woman in here mid thirties, Vanessa Hudson, lays asleep in the bed wearing a white silk nightgown. A man also in his mid thirties, Arthur Hudson, stands in front of a mirror. He is a muscular man with an emotionless expression on his face, he is wearing dress pants, a white shirt, and looks into the mirror as he adjusts his tie. As he does this his wife slowly awakes from her slumber and sits up in bed. She looks at Arthur and smiles.

Vanessa Hudson

Arthur, come back to bed. This is my week off.

Arthur continues to look in the mirror and adjust his tie.

Arthur Hudson

I'll be late for work.

Vanessa softly laughs.

VANESSA HUDSON

You are the editor for the town paper. You can be late for work.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I've worked there for fifteen years and never have been late. I'm not going to start now Vanessa.

Vanessa falls back into bed.

VANESSA HUDSON

That is what I get for marrying such a serious man.

Arthur finishes adjusting his tie and walks over to the bed, leans over his wife, and kisses her on the head.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Dear, the kids will be awake soon. You have to get them ready for school.

VANESSA HUDSON

Can't you do it.

ARTHUR HUDSON

You know our kids hate my cooking. Now get up.

VANESSA HUDSON

OK. I'm getting up.

Arthur then goes to walk out of the room but says something before he leaves.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'll see you downstairs.

Int. Kitchen of the Hudson Home Later

A large kitchen with marble counter tops, a large dinner table as well as expensive appliances. Arthur sits at the kitchen table reading a paper, a steaming cup of coffee on the table in front of him. His ten year old son, Ben Hudson, sits at the other end of the table, wearing his school clothes. Vanessa stands over the stove cooking breakfast. Ben looks impatiently at his mother.

Ben Hudson

Mom, I'm hungry.

Vanessa turns and looks at her son and smiles.

VANESSA HUDSON

Honey, breakfast is almost ready.

She turns back to the stove. Arthur then folds his paper and places it on the table and looks at Ben.

ARTHUR HUDSON

So, are you ready for soccer try outs today Ben.

Ben nods.

BEN HUDSON

I'm going to score more goals then anyone else.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Just try your best.

Then his teenage daughter, Conny Hudson, walks into the room. She is dressed entirely in black; a dark dresses as well as stockings and boots, she has dark hair with blond roots. She is has on earphones and sits at the table, her music is loud. Arthur looks at her.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Conny.

She does not hear him so he raises his voice.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Conny!

She looks at him and takes off her earphones.

Conny Hudson

What Arthur?

ARTHUR HUDSON

I've told you not to listen to your music at your table.

Conny sighs.

CONNY HUDSON

OK, OK, I forgot.

Arthur frowns.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Conny, when are you going to grow out of this goth phase of yours.

CONNY HUDSON

It is not a phase, I dress like a feel inside.

Ben laughs.

BEN HUDSON

You look like a witch.

Conny scowls at Ben.

CONNY HUDSON

Shut up you little spazz!

Arthur looks at his children.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Would you both try to treat each other like brother and sister.

CONNY HUDSON

He started it.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Can we just have a nice, peaceful breakfast as a family.

CONNY HUDSON

Arthur, it is lame how old fashioned you are.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I might be lame but I'm your father. And call me either dad or your father.

Vanessa continues to cook and looks out a window behind the stove, which overlooks the front yard and the street beyond. Through the window she see's a balding, over weight, sweaty man, Jeremy, wearing jogging clothes standing at the edge of the street and looking at the house.

Vanessa Hudson

Arthur, come here.

Arthur gets up and walks over to his wife, once his back is to his kids Conny sticks out her tongue at Ben. Arthur puts his hand on his wife's shoulder.

ARTHUR HUDSON

What is it?

VANESSA HUDSON

There is a creepy guy looking at the house.

Arthur looks through the window and see's him, Arthur frowns. Conny then looks at her parents.

CONNY HUDSON

Is he fat and bald?

VANESSA HUDSON

Yes, why?

CONNY HUDSON

He was there last night. He was watching me get dressed for bed through my window.

Arthur upon hearing this scowls at the man and grits his teeth.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'm going to talk to him.

VANESSA HUDSON

Be careful, he looks dangerous.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Don't worry.

Arthur leaves the kitchen.

Ext. Outside the Hudson Home seconds later

Jeremy stands at the edge of the front yard of the Hudson home and looks at the house. But when Arthur emerges from the front door Jeremy begins to walk away. Arthur catches up to him, Jeremy stops, spins around and faces him.

Jeremy

I was not doing nothing man.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'm going to give you a warning. Never come near this house again.

JEREMY

Or you'll call the cops. I'm not doing anything illegal, I'm aloud to stand on the street.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I find you looking at either my wife or my daughter again, I am going to kill you.

Jeremy laughs.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'm not joking, you picked the wrong house. Come near here again and I'll kill you slowly.

Jeremy stops laughing and begins to walk away.

INT. KITCHEN OF THE HUDSON HOME seconds Later

Arthur's family sits at the kitchen table without him, there breakfast in front of them. They all look at Arthur when he walks into the room and sits at the table.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Let's try to enjoy breakfast.

Vanessa looks at her husband.

VANESSA HUDSON

What did you say to him?

ARTHUR HUDSON

I just appealed to his better nature not to come around again. Now let's eat.

They begin to eat in silence.

Ext. A major city morning

A large city looms in the distance. On the outskirts of the city is a large home in front of a railway.

Int. Interior of house seconds later

Moving through the house. In the hallway a dead old man lies on the floor, a pool of blood around him. As we look down at him there is a quick flash of him being hit by an ax. In a living room a younger man lies upon a couch, also is dead and the couch is stained with blood. There is a flash of him sitting on a couch as an ax falls upon his head. Moving up the stairs, we come to a bedroom. A woman lays in the bed, dead and the sheets are covered with blood. There is a flash of her sitting up in bed and looking scared, then there is a glimpse of an ax being swung.

Int. Kitchen of house Seconds later

Sitting at the kitchen table is a huge disheveled man, he has a dirty beard and long greasy hair. He wears and trench coat which is covered with blood. He, The Railway Ripper, sits while he eats a bowl of cereal. A red fire ax with blood on the blade is laid across the table. He continues to eat in silence. He stops eating when he hears the whistle of a train in the distance.

Ext. Behind house Seconds later

A slowing moving freight train rumbles across the tracks behind the house. The Railway Ripper emerges from the back door of the house and runs towards the train, carrying his ax. Then then jumps up into a empty boxcar and the train carries him away. He looks at the house as he rolls away and a huge grin appears on his face, he then begins to cackle.

EXT. A FOREST PATH MORNING

The forest path later in the morning. Police trucks are parked on the path between the trees, as several members of the Dover police stand around a badly decomposed body partially covered by leafs. Among them are police chief David Holland and deputy Peter Vance. Chief Holland is in his early fifties, is burly and has gray hair. He is looking down at the body and shaking his head. Deputy Vance looks at him.

Deputy Vance

We'll have to identify him from dental records. There is nothing left chief.

Chief Holland

I know who it is. It's Fred Walsh.

DEPUTY VANCE

You mean the guy who used to run the bank?

CHIEF HOLLAND

Yeah. I can tell by the watch, he had it on every time I saw him. Fred vanished about six months ago and I would say that is approximately how long this body has been decaying.

DEPUTY VANCE

Well, I guess he is not a missing person anymore. I can't see who would have killed him. What do you think happened to him Holland?

CHIEF HOLLAND

Some one killed him and dumped the body. You know, Fred was the fourth person who has vanished in Dover in the past fifteen years. But this is the first body to be found.

DEPUTY VANCE

So we have a murderer in the area?

CHIEF HOLLAND

Yeah. And have to find the culprit before he strikes again. Let's go.

Chief Holland and Deputy Vance walk towards their vehicle.

Ext. Outside the Dover News noon

A red brick buildings along main street of Dover. A sign hangs over the door which says "Dover News".

Int. Office of Arthur Hudson seconds later

Arthur sits behind a a desk in his small office. There are many pictures of his family on the walls as well as a photograph of Vanessa in a wedding dress in a gold frame on his desk. He looks at some papers on his desk when the door opens. Arthur looks up.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Come in.

The door opens and reporter Alice Jones, a young woman in jeans and t-shirt, walks into the office.

ARTHUR HUDSON

What is it Alice?

Alice Jones

Boss, I think I got a story and its big.

Arthur leans back in his chair.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Go on.

ALICE JONES

My friend Betty works as at the police station. She just told me a body has been found on the trails through the woods south of town.

Arthur seems expressionless.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Know anything else?

ALICE JONES

No, but I want you to put me on the story.

Arthur shakes his head.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Alice, this might be a big story. I would like to give this to a more experienced reporter.

Alice walks towards the desk and puts her hands down on it.

ALICE JONES

Give me this chance boss, I won't let you down.

Arthur seems to contemplate for a moment.

ARTHUR HUDSON

OK, you got it. But I want to be constantly updated on anything you find.

ALICE JONES

Thanks.

Alice then leaves the office and Arthur is alone. He then frowns and looks at the picture of his wife on the desk.

Ext. Outside the Hudson Home night

The Hudson home during the night, the sky is clear and full of stars.

INT. BEDROOM OF THE HUDSON HOME SECONDS LATER

Arthur and Vanessa sit in bed, Arthur in pajamas and Vanessa in her silk nightgown. Arthur is reading a book when Vanessa rests her head on his shoulder.

VANESSA HUDSON

Penny for your thoughts Arthur. You've be quiet all all day.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'm just preoccupied with work.

VANESSA HUDSON

You know, we've been married for almost fifteen years and I think I can count on my fingers how many times I've seen you smile.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I guess I don't wear my heart on my sleeve.

Arthur then kisses her.

ARTHUR HUDSON

But I do love you Vanessa. You and the kids are the only things in this world I care about. My life was not worth living until I met you.

VANESSA HUDSON

I've known you so long, but I you have only spoke about your childhood a couple of times.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Nothing worth troubling you with.

Vanessa laughs.

VANESSA HUDSON

Some time I think you have some secrets that you a keeping from me.

Arthur puts his book down on the nightstand and lies down in bed.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Let's just some sleep.

She lies down too and he turns the lamp on the nightstand off.

Int. Conny's room Seconds Later

Conny's room. The walls are plastered with posters of Goth rock bands, her bed is covered with black sheets and dirty clothes are strewn about the floor. Conny is standing and starting to take off her black clothes and get ready for bed, she stands by a window.

Ext. outside the Hudson Home Seconds later

Jeremy stands at the edge of the front yard and looks up at Conny's window. He watches as she undresses then begins to rub the front of his pants.

Int. conny's room seconds later

Conny turns and looks out the window and see's Jeremy. She stops undressing and seems disgusted. She yells.

CONNY HUDSON

Arthur!

Several moments path when Arthur runs into the room followed my Vanessa and the looks concerned.

ARTHUR HUDSON

What is it Conny?

CONNY HUDSON

That pervert is looking at me.

She points to the window and Arthur goes to it. He looks down and sees Jeremy.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE HUDSON HOME moments later

Jeremy stops rubbing his pants when he sees Arthur looking out the window and begins to walk away.

INT. BEDROOM OF THE HUDSON HOME SECONDS LATER

Arthur walks into his bedroom and begins to get changed into is day clothes. Vanessa walks into the room and she looks at her husband.

VANESSA HUDSON

What are you doing?

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'm going to try and find that guy.

VANESSA HUDSON

Be careful.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I promise.

Ext. a street of Dover later

A street with homes on either side. Jeremy walks down the sidewalk as a van appears behind him.

Int. Van seconds later

Arthur is driving the van and is looking a Jeremy. Jeremy's back is to him and does not notice. Arthur parks on the side of the street and gets out.

Ext. A street of Dover seconds later

Jeremy continues to walk and does not notice as Arthur stealthily sneaks up behind him. Then Arthur puts his arm around Jeremy's neck and begins to squeeze as Jeremy struggles. Jeremy mutters.

Jeremy

Stop.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I warned you.

Jeremy passes out and Arthur lets him fall to the ground. Arthur looks around to see if anyone is looking then begins to drag Jeremy towards the van.

Ext. The Hudson Farm later

A secluded farm outside Dover as a crescent moon hangs in the sky over it. There is a rundown cabin behind which is a large wooden shed. Arthur's van parked next to the shed.

Int. The shed seconds later

Inside the shed is a room with a dirt floor. Jeremy, still unconscious, is tied to a chair. Behind him is Arthur, who stands over and work bench and is sharpening a jagged hunting knife. Jeremy then wakes up, looks around, and begins to struggle.

Jeremy

What the fuck!

Arthur says nothing as he continues to sharpen the knife. Jeremy seems afraid.

Jeremy

What is going on, where am I.

Arthur stops sharpening then knife and looks at Jeremy.

ARTHUR HUDSON

The place where you are going to die.

Jeremy begins to struggle.

JEREMY

Who are you!

Arthur, still holding the knife, walks around the chair and looks at Jeremy. Jeremy's eyes lock on the knife and he begins to shake his head.

JEREMY

You, you are that guy from this morning!

ARTHUR HUDSON

I promised you that I would kill you if I caught you near my house again, and I am a man of my word. You picked the wrong family to mess with.

Jeremy begins to to shake.

JEREMY

You can't do this.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I don't want to, but you did not leave me a choice.

JEREMY

I'm sick, OK, I can't stop myself it. Take me into the police. I'm not a monster, I need help.

ARTHUR HUDSON

You might not be a monster, but I am.

Arthur slowly walks towards Jeremy, knife in hand.

EXT. THE shed seconds LATER

The shed is in the distance as Jeremy's screams fill the night.

INT. BEDROOM OF THE HUDSON HOME LATER

Vanessa sits in bed and looks at the clock on the nightstand, it is nearly three in the morning. She seems worried when the door opens and Arthur walks in. She gets out of bed, runs to him and throws her arms around him.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, I was so worried. What happened?

ARTHUR HUDSON

I drove around but could not find him. You know how I am, I was upset and went to my family's farm to blow off some steam.

Vanessa stops holding him and looks into his eyes.

VANESSA HUDSON

Are you telling me the truth?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Yes. Let's go to bed, its late.

They get into bed and lie down. He turns off the lamp. Vanessa turns her head and looks at him.

VANESSA HUDSON

Why do you go to that farm when you are upset? The few times you talk about it, you say it only has bad memories for you.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I don't know why. Let's just get some sleep.

Arthur rolls over looking away from her and closes his eyes. Vanessa looks at him for a moment then goes to sleep.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE HUDSON HOME Morning

It is morning as wind blows leafs across the front yard of the Hudson home.

Int. inside bathroom seconds

Arthur and Ben are in a large bathroom. Ben sits on the top of the toilet seat as Arthur shaves while looking in the bathroom mirror. Ben seems happy.

Ben Hudson

Coach says that I the best player he has seen this year.

Arthur Hudson

I'm proud of you Ben. I you ready for your first game this afternoon?

Ben Hudson

Yes, I'm going to make sure my team wins.

Arthur Hudson

Well, me and your mother are going to be in the crowd watching.

Ben Hudson

Will Conny be there?

Arthur grunts.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I doubt it. She is probably going to spend this weekend with that boyfriend of hers.

BEN HUDSON

You don't like him do Dad?

ARTHUR HUDSON

I just want what's best for you and her Ben. I know sometimes I push you two to succeed a little to hard, but that is because I care about you two.

Vanessa's voice calls from somewhere else in the house.

VANESSA HUDSON

Ben!

Ben gets up and leaves the bathroom and Arthur continues to shave.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE HUDSON HOME later

It is later in the day. Arthur is in the front yard raking leafs when a motorcycle comes to a stop in front of the house. Sitting on it is Kenny Banner, a teenager dressed in black, he has spiked hair and is not wearing a helmet. Arthur stops raking and looks at him. Kenny turns to face him and nods.

Kenny Banner

Mr. Hudson, is Conny home?

Arthur looks down and continues to rake.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I think so Kenny. Where are you two going today?

KENNY BANNER

We are going to the arena to go ice skating.

Conny then emerges from the house and runs towards the bike and walks past Arthur and gets on the bike. Arthur then raises his head and talks loudly.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Conny!

She looks at him and sighs.

CONNY HUDSON

What is it Arthur?

ARTHUR HUDSON

You are not going anywhere without your helmet.

CONNY HUDSON

But it looks so stupid.

ARTHUR HUDSON

You know the deal you made with me and your mother. You can ride on Kenny's bike only if you wear the helmet we bought you. Now go inside and get it.

Conny reluctantly gets off the bike and runs inside the house. Kenny then puts the bike on the kickstand and gets off while he waits for Conny.

ARTHUR HUDSON

So Kenny, where are your skates?

KENNY BANNER

What?

ARTHUR HUDSON

You said you where going skating, I don't see your skates?

KENNY BANNER

Oh, we will rent some when we get there.

ARTHUR HUDSON

OK, well, you should really wear a helmet.

KENNY BANNER

In case I crash and crack my head open?

Arthur looks down and mutters something under his breath.

ARTHUR HUDSON

If only I were that lucky.

KENNY BANNER

What was that Mr. Hudson?

ARTHUR HUDSON

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure Kenny.

Conny emerges from the house and runs to the bike. She and Kenny both get on and drive away as Arthur watches them leave.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I really don't like that boy.

Arthur then rakes for awhile when Vanessa and Ben emerge from the house. Ben is dressed in his soccer uniform.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, Ben's game is in an half and hour.

He puts down the rake and they all walk towards the van parked in the driveway.

INT. VAN SECONDS LATER

Arthur sits in the driver seat, Vanessa is beside him and Ben is in the back. As they driver Vanessa looks back at Ben.

VANESSA HUDSON

Nervous Ben?

BEN HUDSON

No mom.

VANESSA HUDSON

Are you sure not even a little?

BEN HUDSON

Maybe a little.

Vanessa laughs and looks towards Arthur.

VANESSA HUDSON

I think our son is going to be the next Beckham.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I wish our daughter would show as much interest in constructive activities as Ben does.

VANESSA HUDSON

Her grades are still good Arthur. Maybe you should ease up on her. She will be in college in two years.

Arthur Hudson

I'm telling you, Kenny is a bad influence on her. I think he is the one responsible for this morbid phase of hers.

Vanessa Hudson

You have to let her make her own decisions now that she is older.

Arthur Hudson

I wish she would make the right decisions for a change.

Ext. outside Arcade later

In a small building beside a parking lot in Dover is an arcade. Kenny's bike is parked beside it and he and Conny stand outside the door with two other young teenage boys who are also dressed in black. They are passing around a joint of marijuana. Kenny inhales, holds it in for a few moments, then exhales. He laughs then passes the joint to Conny. She takes it and smokes.

KENNY BANNER

This is the chronic.

Conny continues to smoke the joint then smiles.

CONNY HUDSON

If Arthur knew I was smoking weed, he would kill me.

Kenny giggles.

KENNY BANNER

Your Dad is such a crypto fascist, he is like a father from some bad 1950's sitcom.

CONNY HUDSON

I know. He has spent my life trying to make me into the perfect daughter. Study harder Conny, your grads are not high enough Conny.

KENNY BANNER

Your dad is such a pussy.

CONNY HUDSON

I know.

They continue to smoke a joint.

Ext. soccer field later

A soccer field outside Dover. The two teams of kids play soccer as the parents watch from the bleachers and cheer. Arthur and Vanessa sit in the bleachers among the parents, Vanessa cheers but Arthur seems restrained.

VANESSA HUDSON

Ben has scored to goals already.

ARTHUR HUDSON

We'll have to take him out for pizza as a reward.

Vanessa puts her arm around Arthur's arm.

VANESSA HUDSON

He is amazing.

Now we see Ben running down the soccer field as his kicks the ball towards the opposing teams net. The other players are behind him and running in the same direction. Vanessa jumps to her feet and yells.

VANESSA HUDSON

You can do it Ben!

Then Ben kicks the ball past the goalie and the crowd cheers. The referee blows the whistle and both teams go to the their benches. Ben and his team stand around their coach, a tall lean man is his forties, Simon Pane.

Coach Pane

You are slaughtering them.

Coach Pane looks down at Ben.

COACH PANE

Hudson, this year, you are going to be my striker.

Coach Pane pats Ben on the head.

COACH PANE

You will get us to the county finals for sure.

BEN HUDSON

Thanks Coach.

COACH PANE

OK team, go and finish this.

The team runs out into the field.

Ext. Parking Lot beside soccer field dusk

It is dusk as the soccer game finishes. Arthur and Vanessa wait in the parking lot, standing beside their van, as both teams shake hands in the soccer field. Vanessa seems happy while Arthur looks at Ben in the distance.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, we have a good son there don't we?

ARTHUR HUDSON

A father could not ask for better. My father could have cared less if I did well at anything.

VANESSA HUDSON

If he was still here, he would have been proud of you. You grew up into a good man. Arthur, could you do one thing for me?

ARTHUR HUDSON

What?

VANESSA HUDSON

Try to smile for Ben. Sometimes he thinks you are not happy for him.

In the distance, Ben's team are around their coach. He talks to them then his players begin to walk towards the parking lot. But before Ben leaves, Coach Pane hugs him as Arthur watches. Then Ben runs towards his parents. He runs into Vanessa's waiting arms and she hugs him.

BEN HUDSON

Did I do good mom?

VANESSA HUDSON

You did great.

She lets him go and Ben looks up at his father.

BEN HUDSON

Proud Dad.

Arthur awkwardly smiles momentarily.

ARTHUR HUDSON

So proud that you, your mother and I are going out for pizza.

They begin to get into the van, but before Arthur gets in he looks out into the field at Coach Pane. He then gets in.

Ext. A railway night

A railway cuts through some empty fields, the lights of a city are in the distance. Two young men wait beside the tracks, they are both holding duffel bags. They are Gene and Wally, and seem to be looking for something.

Gene

Are you sure this is a good idea?

Wally

You wanted to travel across the country. We hop freight trains and do it for free.

Then there is the whistle of a train in the distance.

Wally

Ready?

GENE

No.

Then a freight train slowly rumbles past them.

Wally

Jump into the first open boxcar you see.

After awhile a boxcar begins to move past them, it is opened and the inside is darkened. Gene and Wally run to catch up to it and they jump in.

Int. inside Boxcar seconds later

Wally and Gene stand in the darkened boxcar but can't see anything. Wally opens his duffel bag and pulls out a small battery powered lamp. He turns it on but they are both startled when they see the Railway Ripper sitting in the corner of the boxcar.

Gene

Did not see you there mister.

The Railway Ripper's chapped lips smile.

Railway Ripper

You see me now.

They both look at him and see the axe on floor beside him. They seem nervous. Gene whispers to Wally.

GENE

I got a bad feeling Wally.

Wally whispers back.

Wally

Man up Gene.

Wally looks at the Railway Ripper.

Wally

Mind if we ride with you buddy?

RAILWAY RIPPER

Sure.

Wally and Gene sit in the other end of the boxcar. They look at the Railway Ripper in silence for awhile when Gene nervously speaks.

Gene

What is the ax for?

The Railway Ripper picks it up and lays it across his legs.

RAILWAY RIPPER

Protection as well as other things.

Ext. outside train moments later

The freight train begins to pick up speed as it roars through the countryside.

INT. INSIDE BOXCAR SECONDS LATER

Gene and Wally are still looking at the Railway Ripper, they both seem nervous now.

RAILWAY RIPPER

You know, you should not ride the rails. It is dangerous.

Gene nudges Wally and whispers.

Gene

I think that is blood on his coat. Maybe we should get off.

Wally whispers back.

Wally

The train is going to fast now.

Gene

Why did I let you talk me into this?

The Railway Ripper begins to laugh.

RAILWAY RIPPER

And what are you two whispering about?

Wally

Nothing, really.

The Railway Ripper stands up and holds the ax in both his hands. He walks towards the two men and is snickering.

RAILWAY RIPPER

I want to know what you said.

Wally and Gene stand up and look towards the open door of the boxcar. But before they can get to it the Railway Ripper stands in between them and the door.

Railway ripper

Tell me what you said or I'm going to paint the inside of this boxcar with your blood.

Gene and Wally back up and are now pressing their backs on the side of the boxcar. They seem terrified.

Gene

Mister, you don't want to do this.

RAILWAY RIPPER

Tell me what you said!

Wally raises his hands.

Wally

He told me a joke, that's all.

The Railway Ripper lowers the ax and turns his back to them.

RAILWAY RIPPER

Oh, I hope it was funny.

Both Wally and Gene calm down when suddenly the Railway Ripper turns around and swings the ax and it buries itself into Wally's chest. He falls to his knee's and blood pours out from his chest. Gene screams and tries to get past the Railway Ripper. The Railway Ripper let's go of the ax and grabs Gene's arm so he can't escape. Wally falls down dead when the Railway Ripper picks up Gene and throws him into the wall. Gene is now on the ground looking up. Gene is pleading as he shakes his head.

Gene

Please don't kill me.

The Railway Ripper pulls the ax from Wally's chest and stands over Gene.

RAILWAY RIPPER

I have no choice, they are telling me to.

The Railway Ripper raises the ax.

EXT. OUTSIDE TRAIN MOMENTS LATER

The train rolls past as Gene's dying screams are faded out by the whistle of the train.

Int. living room of the Hudson Home night

A large living room full of plush furniture. Arthur and Vanessa sit on a couch in front of the television as they watch the evening news. They are holding each other. The woman newscaster then begins to report a story.

Newscaster

The Railway Ripper, a killer responsible for seventeen murders across the nation, struck again, this time killing a family outside Toronto. He is suspected to ride the rails and murder people who live near rail lines. Police have a description.

The drawn image of the Railway Ripper appears on the screen.

VANESSA HUDSON

He looks like a bum.

NEWSCASTER

If you see him, contact the police. He is considered to be extremely dangerous. More after this commercial break.

Arthur uses the remote to mute the television and they sit silently for a moment when Vanessa looks at Arthur.

VANESSA HUDSON

That is why I like living in Dover. No one like that would ever come here, so far away from everything.

Arthur looks at Vanessa.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Someone like what?

VANESSA HUDSON

Some murdering psychopath.

Arthur looks away.

VANESSA HUDSON

Something wrong?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Nothing, nothing at all.

VANESSA HUDSON

Why do you think sick people do those sorts of things.

Arthur then looks into her eyes.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I guess some people just can't control some aspects of their personality.

Vanessa holds Arthur tighter.

VANESSA HUDSON

If someone like that ever came here, would you protect me?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Remember what I told you the morning of our wedding, I would never let anything happen to you. I meant it, you don't know how much.

VANESSA HUDSON

I love you Arthur.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I've only loved four people in my life. You, the kids, and my late mother. The way I am Vanessa, it is not easy for me to care about things or people.

VANESSA HUDSON

I don't mind, it keeps you faithful. I know you would never betray me, I've known that since our first date.

The commercial break ends and Arthur puts the sound back on. They then watch in silence.

Ext. Dover Bank morning

On a street corner is a small bank, it is early and the bank is not open. Arthur's van parks in front of it. There is also a police car parked nearby.

Int. van seconds later

Arthur is in the driver's seat and Vanessa is beside him. She leans over and kisses him on the cheek.

VANESSA HUDSON

I'll see you tonight.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Have a good day at work.

Vanessa gets out.

int. inside Bank seconds later

Vanessa enters the bank and walks towards the counter. Another woman in her mid thirties, Jill, is behind the counter. Jill see's her and smiles.

Jill

So how was your week off Vanessa?

VANESSA HUDSON

Great.

Vanessa then walks around the counter and stands behind one of the teller windows. Jill looks at her and motions towards the manager's office in the bank.

Jill

The Police are here, he is talking to the manager.

VANESSA HUDSON

What for?

Jill

Has something to do with Mr. Walsh.

Vanessa frowns.

VANESSA HUDSON

He probably left town to shack up with some bimbo.

JILL

I don't think so.

The bank manager, middle aged man Derek Manning, walks out from his office and approaches Vanessa.

Derek

Vanessa. Some officers are in my office. They want to speak with you. Could you please go speak with them.

Vanessa nods.

VANESSA HUDSON

Sure Mr. Manning.

She then walks towards the office and enters.

Int. Manning's office seconds later

In the small office, Chief Holland sits behind the desk and Deputy Vance stands beside him. Vanessa enters and looks at them.

VANESSA HUDSON

You wanted to speak with me?

CHIEF HOLLAND

Have a seat miss Holland.

Vanessa sits down.

CHIEF HOLLAND

I need to talk to you about Fred Walsh.

VANESSA HUDSON

Why, I thought he left town.

CHIEF HOLLAND

Not exactly.

VANESSA HUDSON

So what happened to him?

DEPUTY VANCE

We found his body last Friday.

Vanessa puts her hand to her mouth and seems shocked.

VANESSA HUDSON

What?

CHIEF HOLLAND

He was murdered, we suspect six months ago.

VANESSA HUDSON

Oh my God.

CHIEF HOLLAND

Can you tell me anything, anything that might be useful?

VANESSA HUDSON

I worked for him, but we did not talk much.

Vanessa seems unable to look at Chief Holland. Chief Holland seems suspicious.

CHIEF HOLLAND

Is there something you are not telling me?

Vanessa hesitates for a moment then speaks.

VANESSA HUDSON

I had problems with him.

CHIEF HOLLAND

What kind of problems?

VANESSA HUDSON

He would do things, rub my shoulders, things that made me uncomfortable.

CHIEF HOLLAND

Is that all?

Vanessa looks ashamed.

VANESSA HUDSON

He said he would fire me if I did not sleep with him, I told him no. The next day he did not show up for work.

Chief Holland folds his arms across his chest.

CHIEF HOLLAND

Is there anything else?

VANESSA HUDSON

No, that is it.

CHIEF HOLLAND

Do you know anyone who would want to hurt him.

VANESSA HUDSON

I can't think off anyone.

CHIEF HOLLAND

OK, you can go. But don't leave town until our investigation is over.

Vanessa gets up and leaves the room. Deputy Vance looks at Chief Holland.

DEPUTY VANCE

Think she is hiding something?

CHIEF HOLLAND

He is murdered soon after he blackmails Mrs. Hudson. Might be a coincidence, might not.

DEPUTY VANCE

OK Chief.

Int. office of Arthur Hudson noon

Arthur sits behind his desk and is reading a early copy of the next edition. Alice Jones walks in seems excited.

ARTHUR HUDSON

What is it now Alice?

ALICE JONES

This is huge, boss, we might have a multiple murderer in Dover.

Arthur looks up at her and is silent for a moment.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I find that hard to believe.

ALICE JONES

The body they found, it was Fred Walsh. He worked at the bank.

ARTHUR HUDSON

He was my wife worked for him actually.

ALICE JONES

Well, the police think there have been several other murders though then can't prove it. They think it is connected to three other missing person cases. I think we should print a story.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I think it is premature. But do some more investigating and come to me when you have something a little more conclusive.

ALICE JONES

OK, I continue snooping.

Alive leaves the office and Arthur waits till the door is closed and slams his fist down on the desk.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Damn.

ext. outside Hudson Home later

It is late in the day. Arthur's van drives into the driveway and he gets out. He walks into the house.

INT. KITCHEN OF THE HUDSON HOME moments later

Vanessa is sitting at the kitchen table and is drinking a cup of tea. Arthur enters the room, walks up behind Vanessa and puts his hands on her shoulder.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Sorry I could not pick you up after work. I had to stay late at the paper. Jill gave you a lift home?

Vanessa nods.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Where are the kids?

VANESSA HUDSON

Conny is out with her boyfriend and Ben is at soccer practice, his couch picked him up.

ARTHUR HUDSON

You sound like something is wrong.

VANESSA HUDSON

Fred Walsh was murdered.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I know, Alice from the paper told me. That bothers you?

VANESSA HUDSON

He was a scum bag, but murdered, who could have done such a thing.

Arthur goes to the fridge and opens it pulls out a left over meal on a plate.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'll eat yesterday's dinner. I surmise you don't feel like cooking.

He sits at the table and begins to eat.

VANESSA HUDSON

The night I told you what he did, I woke up in the middle of the night and you where gone. Where did you go?

Arthur stops eating.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I was mad about what he did so I went to my old farm to think.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, promise me you are telling me everything.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I would not hide anything from you.

VANESSA HUDSON

OK, well, I guess he must have pissed off the wrong person.

Arthur looks at her for a moment then begins to eat.

INT. INSIDE BATHROOM later

The bathroom is full with a thick cloud of water vapor. Arthur is in the shower and is leaning against the wall as water pours over him. He seems expressionless. Then the scene begins to dissolve and a flashback begins.

INT. THE SHED night

The seen fades in. Fred Walsh, a older man in an expensive suit a neatly combed hair, is tied to the chair. He is unconscious. Arthur is behind him sharpening his knife. Fred wakes up and groggily looks around. Arthur finishes sharpening the knife and walks around Fred and stands in front of him. Fred looks at him and then at the knife. He does not seem scared though.

FRED WALSH

I know you, you are married to that bitch Vanessa.

Arthur scowls at him.

FRED WALSH

I hope you know that you are going to spend the next part of your life in prison. You better let me go.

Arthur steps towards him.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I can't let you go. You tried to extort my wife for sex, I can't help what I'm about to do now.

FRED WALSH

What ever she told you she is lying.

Arthur presses the knife against his cheek.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Don't bother talking, there is nothing you can say that is going to help you.

FRED WALSH

What are you going to do to me?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Make you suffer.

Arthur looks around the room.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I suffered more times then I can count in this shed during my youth. I know the pain you are about to feel. I ensure you that it will hurt a lot.

FRED WALSH

I am a pillar of this community, they will find you and make you pay.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Sorry. There is nothing I can do.

EXT. outside shed moments later

It is night as Fred's screams bellow out from the shed, then the scene pans up to the sky as clouds drift past overhead. After awhile the screams stop and we are looking at the shed again. The door opens and Arthur walks out, he seems upset and is breathing heavily. He then walks to his van parked in front of the cabin nearby and opens the back.

Int. inside shed moments later

Fred is now untied, he is completely motionless and covered with deep cuts and wounds on his face and chest, his clothes soaked with blood. He seems dead when he suddenly opens his eyes and gets up, he begins to limp towards the door.

ext. outside shed later

Arthur approaches the shed carrying a shovel, but drops it when he see's the door is open. He looks inside to see that it is empty. He looks around. Then the camera pans up towards the sky and the clouds drift by. The scene dissolves.

INT. INSIDE BATHROOM

Then scene fades in a Arthur is in the shower. He seems worried and water pours down his face.

INT. CONNY'S ROOM LATER

Conny, wearing black pajamas, is sitting in bed listening to music coming from a stereo on a dresser. There is a knock on the door.

CONNY HUDSON

The door is open.

The door open's and Vanessa enters.

CONNY HUDSON

Want do you want mom?

VANESSA HUDSON

I just want to talk Conny. Mind if I turn off the music.

CONNY HUDSON

Sure.

Vanessa turns down the volume then sits on the edge of the bed.

CONNY HUDSON

So, what do you want to talk about?

VANESSA HUDSON

So, you really must like this Kenny boy, you spend most of your time with him.

CONNY HUDSON

I love him. I did from the first time I saw him.

VANESSA HUDSON

Really. Maybe you should not tell your father. I don't think he likes Kenny much.

CONNY HUDSON

Arthur would be happy if I was dating the president of the student council.

Vanessa laughs.

VANESSA HUDSON

Your father has worked hard to make a life for this family. I guess he just has high expectations for you and Ben. But I'm sure once it sinks in that you really care for Kenny, he will warm up to him. So you really love him.

CONNY HUDSON

Yes. Was it like that for you and Arthur?

VANESSA HUDSON

Like what?

CONNY HUDSON

Did you fall in love him the first time you saw him?

Vanessa smirks and shakes her head.

VANESSA HUDSON

I went to grade school with your father, he was in a grade above mind. I never took much notice of him to be honest, he was from a poor family and he did not talk much. Just kept to himself really. To be honest, the few times I noticed him I thought he was weird.

CONNY HUDSON

So why did you fall in love with him?

VANESSA HUDSON

My first year in high school, well, I learned that Arthur's parents both died.

CONNY HUDSON

He has never talked to me about our grandparents. How did they die?

VANESSA HUDSON

I've known Arthur longer then anyone, and he has barely said anything either. He said they died in an accident.

CONNY HUDSON

When did you and him first start to like each other?

Vanessa frowns and looks away from her daughter.

VANESSA HUDSON

I had well to do parents, but in high school I started to hang around a very bad crowd. I did some things I'm not proud off. One night I was with two of these boys in the park. We where high when they tried to hurt me, I'm not going to tell you how. When I tried to run away they knocked me to the ground and began to beat me, pretty bad.

Conny seems shocked by her mother's story.

VANESSA HUDSON

I yelled when suddenly your father appeared. He was always a strong guy, and he beat these two boys severely.

CONNY Hudson

Does not sound like Arthur, he has never even raised his voice to me.

VANESSA HUDSON

That night in the hospital, I was told he did not leave my side. I left the hospital several days later. Once I told my parents, they invited Arthur to our home. He came for dinner, did not say a word until I talked to him. I must admit I still was not, you know, into him. But I knew he was a lonely guy and I felt bad for him so I asked him out on a date.

CONNY HUDSON

You went on a date on him out of pity?

VANESSA HUDSON

Yes. At first anyways, but by the end of that date, I knew I was going to marry him someday.

CONNY HUDSON

Why did you know that?

VANESSA HUDSON

I don't know. It was something in his eyes, just a feeling. I knew I could trust him, I knew he would always be there for me.

CONNY HUDSON

What happened next?

VANESSA HUDSON

We dated for four years, my parents really began to like Arthur after he started to open up a little. I became pregnant with you soon after I graduated from high school. He asked me to marry him. My parents got him a job at the local paper and we started our family. And ever since he has been trying to do everything he can for this family.

Conny Hudson

I know I'm going to marry Kenny.

Vanessa snickers.

VANESSA HUDSON

Just don't expect your father to smile when he walks you down the aisle.

Vanessa gets up and goes to the door.

CONNY HUDSON

I love you mom.

Vanessa looks towards her.

VANESSA HUDSON

I know. Conny, for me, could you please refer to Arthur as Dad. I know he has trouble showing his emotions, but I know he would appreciate it.

Conny HUDSON

I'll try.

VANESSA HUDSON

Thanks.

Vanessa leaves.

int. Master Bedroom later

Arthur and Vanessa lay in bed. The light is off. Vanessa is asleep but Arthur is awake and looking towards the ceiling. He then looks over at the sleeping Vanessa and begins to mutter.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I want to tell you everything, but I know I would lose you and the kids. You are the only thing I have.

Arthur then looks up again and closes his eyes.

ext. rail line night

A rail line cutting through the country side, in the distance is Dover. A bright, nearly full moon hangs in the sky. The night is silent until the rumbling of a train starts to echo from the distance. Then a freight train rolls past. When a boxcar with a open passes by, the Railway Ripper jumps out. He is standing at the edge of a field and looks towards the town, his ax is in his hands. He then walks towards the town.

Ext. factory outside town later

An old abandoned factor is located on the edge of town. It is surrounded by a chain link fence. The Railway Ripper walks out of the night from a field behind the factory. He climbs over the fence and approaches a old boarded up door.

Int. factory seconds later

A gloomy, gigantic room which is partially illuminated by moonlight coming in from the window. Machinery is everywhere, covered by cobwebs and dust. Then sounds start coming from a door. The sound of wooded being chopped by the an ax. The Railway Ripper chops through the door the pieces of it fall to the ground. He enters the factory and looks around. He then smiles.

RAILWAY RIPPER

I think I'll stay here for awhile.

int. factory later

The Railway Ripper sits on the ground. A old, rusted steel barrel is in front of him. A fire burns in it and the glow from the flames dances on the walls. The Railway Ripper looks at the fire when he then begins to grunt. He covers his ears and begins to roll around the floor.

Railway Ripper

Shut up, shut up!

He then stops his writhing about then gets to his feet.

Railway Ripper

What do you want!

His yells echo inside the factory.

RAILWAY RIPPER

OK, I won't hop onto another train until I do as you ask!

The Railway Ripper then sits down and looks at the fire.

It is a dreary, overcast morning outside the Hudson home.

INT. KITCHEN OF THE HUDSON HOME seconds later

The Hudson family sit at the kitchen table as they eat breakfast. They eat in silence for awhile when Vanessa looks at Ben.

VANESSA HUDSON

So what are you doing today Ben?

BEN HUDSON

After school, I am going to soccer practice.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Do you need a lift home after practice?

BEN HUDSON

No Dad, Coach is giving me a lift home.

ARTHUR HUDSON

OK, I just want you to know me and your mother are very proud of you Ben.

BEN HUDSON

I want you to be proud of me.

Conny frowns.

CONNY HUDSON

You are such a little suck up you turd.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Conny, watch the language.

BEN HUDSON

She is just mad because I'm the favorite child.

CONNY HUDSON

Are not.

BEN HUDSON

Am to.

Vanessa smiles.

VANESSA HUDSON

Kids, I and your father do not have a favorite child. We love you both equally. Right Arthur?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Right. But Conny, sometimes I wish you where as proactive as Ben. He spends his time trying to better himself, he does not loiter around the likes of Kenny.

Conny seems angered.

CONNY HUDSON

Kenny and I are in love.

Arthur then seems a little upset.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I just want what's best for you, and you deserve better then that little hoodlum.

Vanessa nudges Arthur then leans over and whispers into his ear.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, if Kenny makes your daughter happy, then you should be happy for her.

Arthur whispers to his wife.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I know, I know.

Then there is the honk of a vehicle horn coming from outside.

VANESSA HUDSON

Kids, the bus is here. Try to have a good day at school.

The kids get up and leave the room leaving Arthur and Vanessa alone. Vanessa looks at Arthur, he seems upset still.

ARTHUR HUDSON

She thinks she is in love with that Kenny punk.

VANESSA HUDSON

The harder you try to keep them apart, the more she will want to be with him. Just let things run there course, I'm sure she will grow tired of him.

Arthur gets up.

ARTHUR HUDSON

We better go.

Vanessa gets up, approaches Arthur then they kiss.

VANESSA HUDSON

OK dear.

They walk out of the kitchen together.

ext. outside Dover Library morning

The Dover library is inside the same large building as the ice rink. A small car parks in front of the library doors and Alice gets out. She looks around and then enters the library.

Int. inside Library later

Inside is a library, rows of shelves full of books. In the back is a small desk on which is a small machine with a screen which contains the news archives. Alice sits in front of the machine and reads. She stops then pulls out a small audio recorder device and speaks into it. As she talks, different pictures from news articles flash before us.

ALICE JONES

I have spent the morning reading old news articles about the three missing person cases which have yet to be solved. The first two happened around the same time approximately fifteen years ago. Ned Colson and Frank Denings where reported missing, they where known to be friends. They where in their late teens. About six years ago, one Andy Stone vanished. He was a farmer who lived in the southern region of the county. Though the police have never been able to explain these disappearances, it seems they are connected somehow.

Alice then turns of the recorder.

ALICE JONES

But what is the connection.

INT. OFFICE OF ARTHUR HUDSON later

Arthur is in his office. He is leaning back in his chair and looking out and window. He seems troubled by something. Then the scene begins to fade out as a flashback begins.

INT. THE SHED morning

The interior of the shed of the Hudson farm. It is empty, gardening tools and equipment hang from hooks on the wall. Then the door opens and two people enter. One is the young Arthur, near the age of ten. The other is his father Roger Hudson, a tall, obese man wearing dirty overalls and his face is flushed red and he seems enraged. After they enter, Roger pushes Arthur into a wall. Arthur then falls to the ground and looks up at his father. Roger stands over him.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Please, dad, don't.

Roger then pulls a leather strap off the wall which is hanging from a hook and holds it in his hands as he scowls at Arthur.

roger Hudson

You know what happens when you talk back you worthless shit. Now you are going to pay.

Roger raises the leather strap and then briefly smiles. Arthur seems like he is about to cry.

ROGER HUDSON

Take it like man you little fuck.

INT. OFFICE OF ARTHUR HUDSON LATER

Arthur sits in his chair as the sounds from the flashback are heard. We can hear the young Arthur cry out as the sound of him being whipped with the strap can be heard. The adult Arthur closes his eyes.

ARTHUR HUDSON

God damn you, you bastard.

EXT. outside the dover High school noon

A large high school during lunch break. Students are walking out of the school.

int. inside the halls of the high school seconds later

Moving down a hallway of the school, lockers line either side as students stand in groups and talk. At the end of the hallway is a door to the boy's bathroom.

INT. inside boy's bathroom seconds later

The boy's bathroom, several empty toilet stalls as well as sinks and urinals along the wall. Conny and Kenny are at the far end of the bathroom, smoking a joint. Kenny looks into Conny's eyes and smiles.

KENNY BANNER

Baby, I have to ask you something.

CONNY HUDSON

What is it?

KENNY BANNER

Want to get married?

Conny seems stunned.

CONNY HUDSON

Are you serious?

KENNY BANNER

Yeah, we'll blow this town and go to Toronto.

CONNY HUDSON

I want to, but Arthur, he will not let me go.

KENNY BANNER

Screw your father, we are old enough to make our own decisions.

CONNY HUDSON

I don't know.

Then the school principle enters the bathroom, an older man named Mr. Ford, and upon seeing them frowns.

Mr. ford

You two, my office now. I am going to have to speak with your parents.

Conny looks away.

CONNY HUDSON

Oh shit.

int. office of Mr. Ford later

A large office, Mr. Ford sits behind his desk as Arthur and Vanessa sit in two chairs in front of him. Vanessa seems concerned, Arthur seems to be expressionless.

MR. FORD

I'm sorry I had to call you two away from work. But I found your daughter smoking marijuana in the lavatory this afternoon.

Arthur then frowns while Vanessa looks at him.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, please don't get upset.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Kenny, it is all Kenny's doing.

MR. FORD

Well, I am going to suspend Conny for the rest of the week. Afterward, she may return to school, but know that she is on thin ice. I have to ask, do you two use drugs or drink?

Vanessa shakes her head.

VANESSA HUDSON

I and my husband have a zero tolerance policy on drinking or drugs in our household.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Kenny Banner is to blame for this.

MR. FORD

Well, take your daughter home, she may return next week. Goodbye.

Arthur and Vanessa get up and leave the office.

INT. outside Mr. Ford's office seconds seconds later

Conny is sitting in a chair in the small reception area outside Mr. Ford's office. When her parents walk out of the office, she looks at them. Arthur walks past her, not looking at Conny. He leaves leaving Vanessa and Conny alone. Conny looks at her mother.

CONNY HUDSON

I'm sorry mom.

VANESSA HUDSON

Come on Conny, we are going home.

CONNY HUDSON

What is Arthur going to do?

VANESSA HUDSON

I don't know. Hopefully you just get a lecture. Now let's go.

INT. VAN LATER

Arthur sits in the passenger seat, Vanessa is beside him and Conny is in the back. They drive in silence when Arthur speaks.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Conny, I'm very upset with you.

CONNY HUDSON

I made a mistake, OK, you've never made a mistake before?

ARTHUR HUDSON

When we get home, you will go immediately to your room. Wait there until I talk with you. Do you understand?

CONNY HUDSON

Yes Arthur.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE HUDSON HOME LATER

It is later in the noon. The sky is still overcast outside the Hudson home. The van then appears and parks in the driveway. Arthur, Vanessa and Conny get out and go into the house.

INT. KITCHEN OF THE HUDSON HOME LATER

Vanessa sits at the kitchen table as Arthur leans against the kitchen counter.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I knew that Kenny was trouble from the moment I first saw him. Now he has our daughter doing drugs.

VANESSA HUDSON

I know, but what can we do? Arthur, the more you try to keep them apart, the more they will want to be together.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Are you defending him?

VANESSA HUDSON

No, but I know that she think she loves him.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'm going to go speak with her. Vanessa, please support any decision I make regarding our daughter.

VANESSA HUDSON

Don't I always?

INT. CONNY'S ROOM LATER

Conny is sitting on her bed. She seems worried and looks at the door momentarily, she then whispers to herself as outside there is the sound of approaching footsteps.

CONNY HUDSON

Time for another Arthur knows best talk.

She then seems to ready herself when she hears the door begin open. Then Arthur enters, stands before Conny, and looks sternly at her.

CONNY HUDSON

I'm sorry.

Arthur says nothing.

CONNY HUDSON

Marijuana is not that big a deal. It is not like I was smoking crack.

When Arthur speaks, his voice is calm and flat.

ARTHUR HUDSON

You know I forbid alcohol in my house, I damn well forbid drugs of any kind. Now you are going to miss school for a week. You let me down Conny, you don't know how much.

CONNY HUDSON

Sorry I'm not the perfect daughter you wanted.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I just expected better from you. There are going to be consequences because of what happened today at school.

CONNY HUDSON

Like what?

ARTHUR HUDSON

You are grounded for the month, no going out, no television. Also, you are going to be doing a lot of work around the house as well as the yard.

CONNY HUDSON

Is that it?

ARTHUR HUDSON

No. From now on, you are not aloud to see Kenny.

Conny jumps up from the bed and seems upset. She raises her voice as she speaks.

CONNY HUDSON

You can't do that!

Arthur remains calm.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Against my better judgment, I gave him a chance. He proved to me that it was a mistake to think I could trust him.

CONNY HUDSON

But I love him!

ARTHUR HUDSON

Conny, you are to young to know what real love is.

Conny looks away and begins to sob.

CONNY HUDSON

You can't keep us from seeing each other.

ARTHUR HUDSON

My mind is made up. You two are finished. Now you will remain in your room and may not leave unless I say you can.

Arthur turns to leave when Conny faces him again, tears in her eyes.

CONNY HUDSON

Kenny has asked me to marry him, and I'm going to say yes.

Arthur stops and looks at her, frowning.

ARTHUR HUDSON

What?

CONNY HUDSON

Kenny and I are going away Arthur, we are getting married, and you can't stop us.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Conny, you are still a child, you have to grow up before you make decisions as important as marriage.

CONNY HUDSON

You and mom where around my age when you two got married.

ARTHUR HUDSON

That was different. You are not to see Kenny, not anymore.

CONNY HUDSON

You can't stop me, as soon as you are not looking, I'm going to go far away with Kenny. There is nothing you an do Arthur.

Arthur then looks at her, he seems angered.

CONNY HUDSON

You are mad? Then yell for once, stop being such a emotionless robot for once.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Conny, there are two things keeping me from settling this with Kenny. One is that he is still just a stupid kid who needs to grow up. Two is that I know you care about him. If it was not for those two things, Kenny would be in a world of pain.

Arthur then leaves. Once Conny is alone, she jumps into the bed and buries her face in her pillow as she cries.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE Hudson home dusk

A small car is parked on the street in front of the Hudson household. The car is idling as smoke comes out the the exhaust.

int. inside coach Pane's car seconds later

Coach Pane sits in the driver's seat, Ben is in the passenger seat.

BEN HUDSON

Thanks for driving me home coach.

Coach Pane puts his hand on Ben's shoulder.

COACH PANE

Anything for the best player I have.

Coach Pane then rubs Ben's shoulder with his hand and smiles at Ben. Ben seems uncomfortable.

BEN HUDSON

I better go, my dad is probably waiting for me.

COACH PANE

OK, but Ben, we'll be seeing a lot of each other.

BEN HUDSON

See you coach.

Ben get's out.

INT. BEDROOM OF THE HUDSON HOME night

Arthur and Vanessa are both in bed. Vanessa is laying on her side as Arthur sits up and reads a book. Arthur then closes the book, turns of the lamp on the nightstand, and lays down. He closes his eyes. Vanessa rolls over to face him.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, maybe you are being to hard on Conny.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Maybe I am not being hard enough.

VANESSA HUDSON

If you try to push her, you might lose her forever. You have to accept that who you want her to be and who she is are two entirely different things.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Vanessa, I want what's best for her. That's all.

VANESSA HUDSON

I know, but don't you want her to be happy?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Yes.

VANESSA HUDSON

Then let her make her own choices.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I just don't want her to see Kenny anymore.

VANESSA HUDSON

I know, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Vanessa kisses him on the cheek.

VANESSA HUDSON

I love you Arthur, and I always will.

Arthur closes his eyes.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Your love is the only think that holds me together.

VANESSA HUDSON

What do you mean?

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'll explain it to see some other time.

Vanessa looks at him for a moment then closes her eyes and goes to sleep.

EXT. the outskirts of dover later

It is around midnight. A two-story, house sits on a secluded street. On the other side of the street is the abandoned factory surrounded by the fence. The Railway Ripper emerges from the factory, carrying his ax. He throws the ax over the fence and then climbs over it. He picks up the ax and approaches the house. He walks up onto the porch and knocks loudly on the door.

INT. inside Norman Brown's house seconds later

The hallway on the other side of the front door, a light comes on at the top of the staircase at the other end of the hallway and a elderly man, Norman Brown, appears at the top of the stairs. The knocking continues as Norman goes down the stairs.

Norman Brown

Who the hell is knocking on the door at this hour.

Norman then goes to the door and opens it. Upon seeing the Railway Ripper standing in front of him, holding the ax, Norman seems scared.

NORMAN BROWN

Who the hell are you?

RAILWAY RIPPER

I'm the guy who is about to kill you.

Norman backs away.

NORMAN BROWN

Please don't.

The Railway Ripper raises the ax and smiles.

RAILWAY RIPPER

They are telling me to do it.

Then the Railway Ripper swings the ax and hits Norman who falls to the ground screaming.

ext. outside Norman brown's house seconds later

Norman Brown's house in the distance, his screams slowly stop.

INT. INSIDE NORMAN BROWN'S HOUSE SECONDS LATER

The Railway Ripper stands over Norman's body. He then steps over it, he walks through the house to find it empty. He goes to a small kitchen and opens the fridge to find a lot of food inside. He closes it then goes into the living room to find it empty. He goes upstairs and goes into a bathroom. He looks at the sink then begins to mutter.

RAILWAY RIPPER

OK, OK, I'm doing it.

int. inside Norman Brown's bathroom later

The Railway Ripper is looking the the mirror as he shaves. He has already cut his long, greasy hair and has exchanged his bloodied clothing for Norman's clean clothes. He finishes shaving and looks into the mirror.

RAILWAY RIPPER

Now what do you want me to do?

The Railway Ripper acts as if he is listening to someone talking then begins to laugh.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE HUDSON HOME MORNING

It is a bright, clear day over the home of the Hudson family. A vibrant sun is rising to the east as a gentle wind blows leafs across the Hudson's front yard. The front door opens, Vanessa and Arthur walk out and go to the van in the driveway. They get in and drive away.

ext. outside Dover bank later

The Hudson's van comes to a stop in front of the bank.

INT. VAN SECONDS LATER

Arthur is in the driver's seat and Vanessa is beside him. She leans over and kisses him on the cheek.

VANESSA HUDSON

Have a good day at work honey.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Same to you as well.

She get's out. Arthur watches her go into the bank.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE DOVER NEWS later

People walk along the sidewalk outside the Dover News. Then Arthur appears and walks into the building.

INT. inside the dover news seconds later

The main offices of the Dover News consists of five desk where the only five reporters work. The only one present is Alice, who sits at her desk. Arthur walks into the room and goes to her desk. She looks up at him.

ALICE JONES

What do you want boss?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Find anything else while researching your story?

ALICE JONES

Nothing yet, but I will.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Just keep me up to date.

Arthur then walks towards his office and goes through the door leaving Alice alone. Alice is reading some memo's on her desk when a older woman, Sarah Good, enters the offices and looks around. Sarah see's that Alice is the only one there and approaches her.

Sarah good

Excuse me miss, can you help me?

ALICE JONES

What do you want?

SARAH GOOD

My name is Sarah Good and I want someone to publish my son's picture in the paper.

ALICE JONES

Why?

SARAH GOOD

Because he went missing last Friday and has not been seen since.

Suddenly Alice seems very interested.

ALICE JONES

Have you not asked the police to help find your son?

SARAH GOOD

I did but Jeremy, my son, was known to the police. He had been caught a couple of times peeking through people's windows, and the police think he just left town. I think they are glad he is gone. You have to help me.

ALICE JONES

Well, give me a picture of your son and I'll see what I can do.

Sarah then gives Alice a picture, Alice looks at it and see's Jeremy's face.

SARAH GOOD

Thank you.

ALICE JONES

When was the last time you saw him?

SARAH GOOD

Friday, I'm ashamed to admit it, but he was peeping at people on Hanover Street recently. He might have been in that area.

ALICE JONES

OK, I take the picture into my boss right now.

Sarah nods, smiles then leaves. Alice gets up and goes into Arthur's office.

INT. OFFICE OF ARTHUR HUDSON SECONDS LATER

Arthur is sitting at his desk when Alice enters holding the picture. She puts the picture on Arthur's desk and he picks it up. He looks at the picture of Jeremy then looks at Alice.

ARTHUR HUDSON

And who is this?

ALICE JONES

Some peeping tom who has gone missing. I'll bet it is linked to the others.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Maybe you are jumping to conclusions.

ALICE JONES

Or maybe we have an actual killer her in Dover. And he is killing more frequently.

Arthur swivels around in his chair and looks out the window behind him.

ARTHUR HUDSON

This is a very peaceful community, I am not overly eager to have everyone in the county to think we have a killer running around. I don't want to start a panic.

ALICE JONES

The mother of the guy in the picture, she says he was last seen on Hanover Street. Don't you live in that part of town?

ARTHUR HUDSON

I live at the end of Hanover Street actually.

ALICE JONES

Did you ever see this guy.

Arthur squints his eyes.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I've never seen him before in my life.

ALICE JONES

Well, I think someone killed him. And I'm going to find him before he strikes again.

ARTHUR HUDSON

That is a matter for the police.

ALICE JONES

This is news, and that is my job.

ARTHUR HUDSON

What do you plan to do next?

ALICE JONES

Speak with the families of the first three victims. See if I can learning anything.

Arthur turns to look at her again.

ARTHUR HUDSON

OK, I'll keep you on the story, but I won't print anything until you have more.

ALICE JONES

Thanks boss.

Alice leaves, once Arthur is alone he picks the picture of his wife off the desk and looks at it. He seems worried.

ARTHUR Hudson

Damn, I do not know to do. I don't want to lose you and the kids.

He places the picture of his wife on the desk but keeps looking at it.

EXT. OUTSIDE DOVER BANK noon

It is outside the Dover bank around noon. Vanessa and Jill are sitting on the stone steps for lunch break, both are smoking a cigarette. Jill looks at Vanessa.

JILL

It has been years since you smoked during lunch break. I thought you quite?

VANESSA HUDSON

I promised Arthur I would, but I don't know, I'm kind of stressed out because of our daughter. As well as some other things.

JILL

Like what?

VANESSA HUDSON

I do not want to talk about it.

JILL

I'm your best friend, you can tell me.

VANESSA HUDSON

I've know Arthur a long time, I'm his wife, and I sometimes feel like there is something he is hiding from me.

JILL

Think he is being unfaithful?

Vanessa laughs.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur would never cheat on me.

JILL

Why are you so sure?

VANESSA HUDSON

He does not warm up to people easily. In the almost twenty years I've known him, I have never seen him even make a friend. I and and kids are the only thing he has, I think we are all he cares about. I know he would not jeopardize that by cheating. But, sometimes feel he has one big secret that he is hiding from me.

JILL

You have a good husband there Vanessa.

VANESSA HUDSON

He is the best, but he is a troubled person in some ways. But he still has not told me why.

Then farther down the street from the bank, the Railway Ripper appears and is walking down the sidewalk. He is cleaned up and no one takes any notice of him as he passes. He then walks towards the steps of the bank. When he see's Vanessa in the distance, he stops and stares at her, she does not and she continues to talk.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, though I love him dearly, is a very cold man. I know he has a heart, but it only has room for the kids and me, and nothing else.

The Railway Ripper then approaches the bank and stands before Vanessa and Jill. They stop talking at look at him in silence. Vanessa seems a little unsettled by his appearance.

VANESSA HUDSON

Do you want something mister?

RAILWAY RIPPER

I would like a cigarette, if you could spare one.

Jill takes out a pack of cigarettes and gives one to him. She then lights it for the Railway Ripper and he begins to smoke.

VANESSA HUDSON

I haven't seen you in town before. Did you just move here?

RAILWAY RIPPER

No, I'm just passing through.

Vanessa nudges Jill and they both put out their cigarette's and begin to go into the bank. Jill leans over and whispers into Vanessa's ear.

JILL

That guy is huge.

Vanessa whispers back.

VANESSA HUDSON

That guy gives me a bad feeling.

The Railway Ripper watches them go into the bank and just stairs at the door for awhile. He then begins to mumble.

RAILWAY RIPPER

She is beautiful. I want her.

He then walks away.

ext. outside Dover Grade School noon

In another part of the county is the Dover grade school, Ben as well as the other members of his soccer team are playing soccer in the field beside the school. Coach Pane stands to the side then blows a whistle and his team gather around him.

COACH PANE

OK, this weekend, we are going to annihilate the other team. So try to do your best. That is all for today.

Then the team begins to run towards the school, Ben is about to leave when Coach Pane speaks.

COACH PANE

Ben, I would like to talk to you.

Ben stops and stands in front of Coach Pane.

BEN HUDSON

What do you want coach?

COACH PANE

You may be the most talented player I have ever seen and I've seen a lot. I want to help you harness your talent.

BEN HUDSON

Is that all?

COACH PANE

No, tomorrow, after school, I am going to give you some tips that could really help you out.

BEN HUDSON

With the rest of the team?

COACH PANE

No, just you and me.

BEN HUDSON

I'll have to ask my parents.

COACH PANE

Just tell them it is soccer practice. They don't have to know.

BEN HUDSON

I don't want to lie to my parents.

COACH PANE

All kids have secrets they keep from their parents, this will be ours.

BEN HUDSON

I don't know.

COACH PANE

You like being my star player, right.

BEN HUDSON

Of course.

COACH PANE

Well, unless you want to spend the season on the bench, you won't tell them. Got it.

Ben seems hesitant but then nods.

BEN HUDSON

I won't tell them coach.

COACH PANE

Good, you can go then.

Ben then runs towards the school. Coach Pane's eyes are locked on him as he runs away, and smile appears on the Coach's lips.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE HUDSON HOME DUSK

The sun sets majestically behind the Hudson home as night looms to the east.

INT. KITCHEN OF THE HUDSON HOME seconds LATER

Arthur, Vanessa and Ben sit at the kitchen table as they eat dinner. They eat silently until Ben speaks.

BEN HUDSON

Why is Conny not eating with us?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Because she is grounded. She can only leave he room when she has work to do around the house.

VANESSA HUDSON

Ben, you father is trying to teach your sister a lesson.

BEN HUDSON

It does not just feel like dinner without Conny.

VANESSA HUDSON

Are you actually suggesting that you love your sister?

Ben shakes his head.

BEN HUDSON

No, she is yucky.

Arthur looks at his son.

ARTHUR HUDSON

So Ben, looking forward to this weekend's game.

BEN HUDSON

Yep, I can't wait.

VANESSA HUDSON

You so great, I sure.

Ben then looks down at his food as he moves it about his plate with his fork. Vanessa looks at him.

VANESSA HUDSON

Is something wrong Ben?

BEN HUDSON

No. But tomorrow, I have soccer practice. Coach will drive me home.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I don't remember there being a soccer practice tomorrow.

BEN HUDSON

Coach just told me today.

Vanessa gets up, Arthur looks at her.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Where are you going?

VANESSA HUDSON

To speak with Conny, she might be grounded, but she is not in prison.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Well, just remember that we are trying to teach her that there are consequences for doing drugs. It is for her own good.

VANESSA HUDSON

I know.

INT. CONNY'S ROOM LATER

Conny is laying on her bed and is looking up at the ceiling. The door opens when Vanessa walks in.

VANESSA HUDSON

Would you like to talk?

Conny does not look at her.

CONNY HUDSON

So that fascist you married let you speak with his bad seed of a daughter.

VANESSA HUDSON

He might be a fascist, but he is still you dad.

They both laugh and Conny looks at her mother.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur said that Kenny asked you to marry him.

CONNY HUDSON

I'm going to. Do you also want me to never see the man I love again?

VANESSA HUDSON

I want you to be happy. And if Kenny makes you happy, then I want you to be with him.

CONNY HUDSON

Try telling that to Arthur. Maybe you could get it through his thick skull.

VANESSA HUDSON

Just give him some time. He come around. If Kenny loves you, then he won't mind giving up the weed. If he does, your father might let you see him.

CONNY HUDSON

It is my life, I'll do what I want with it. Besides, you did the same thing when you where my age.

VANESSA HUDSON

Yes, and because of that I was hanging around some boys you tried to hurt me. I don't want to see that happen to you.

CONNY HUDSON

I know what I'm doing.

Vanessa then goes to the door but looks back at her daughter.

VANESSA HUDSON

Please Conny, believe that your father acts the way he does because he loves you.

CONNY HUDSON

If he really loved, then he would accept who I am and not pressure me into being someone else.

VANESSA HUDSON

I'm going now, but I love you Conny.

CONNY HUDSON

I love you to mom.

Vanessa leaves and Conny is alone.

INT. MASTER BEDROOM of Hudson home night

It is after midnight. Vanessa is asleep in bed, the room is darkened accept for moonlight coming in from the window. Arthur looks out the window, his face bathed in moonlight, and he seems worried. He looks at Vanessa and whispers to himself.

ARTHUR HUDSON

So much is happening right now. I don't want to lose you and the kids, you are all I have. But they might discover what I've been keeping from you. I don't know what to do.

Arthur then looks out the window again and stares at the nearly full moon.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I never wanted you to find out who I really was. The things I am capable of, the horrible forces that are at work inside my soul. I don't want you to learn who Arthur Hudson really is.

Arthur lowers his head and sighs.

EXT. FACTORY OUTSIDE TOWN LATER

A nearly full moon looms over the gloomy factory. The Railway Ripper's screams echo out from inside.

INT. FACTORY SECONDS LATER

A fire burns inside a barrel in the center of the factory as the light from it dances rhythmically on the walls. The Railway Ripper is standing near the barrel as he moans.

RAILWAY RIPPER

Shut up! Shut your fucking mouths!

He then listens for a moment then shakes his head.

RAILWAY RIPPER

But she is so beautiful. I want her, and want her more then anything.

He listens then nods.

RAILWAY RIPPER

The only way I can have her is by taking her. And after I'm done, I give her to you like I have all the others.

He begins to laugh.

RAILWAY RIPPER

She will be mine, and afterward, I will bath in her blood.

EXT. FACTORY OUTSIDE TOWN seconds LATER

The factory looming in the distance. The Railway Ripper's maniacal laughter bellows out from within it.

It is a partially cloudy morning outside the Hudson home as clouds drift peacefully across the sky.

INT. CONNY'S ROOM SECONDS LATER

Conny is laying in bed when Arthur enters. He looks sternly at his daughter.

ARTHUR HUDSON

OK Conny, your mother and I are going to work. I want the house spotless when we get home, and the entire yard raked. You got that?

Conny does not look at him.

CONNY HUDSON

Yes sir, anything else Arthur?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Yeah, lose the attitude.

Arthur leaves the room, when his back is to Conny she gives him the finger.

Ext. outside colson home later

In a rural part of the county where Dover is, the home of the Colson family sits between farmer's fields. Alice's car drives down the long driveway as she approaches the house. The car stops in front of it and she gets out. She walks up onto the porch and knocks on the door. After a few moments, the door opens slightly and there stands Gerald Colson, an old man dressed in drab clothing.

Gerald Colson

What do you want woman?

Alice shakes his hand.

ALICE JONES

I'm a reporter with the Dover News, Alice Jones. I'm doing a story about some people who have gone missing in the county Mr. Colson.

GERALD COLSON

What does that have to do with me?

ALICE JONES

Your son, Ned, I want to find out want happened to him. I would like to talk to you about it.

Gerald seems saddened by the mentioning of his son. He steps back and opens the door completely.

GERALD COLSON

Come in, sorry, but the place is a bit of a mess.

Int. Gerald Colson's living room seconds later

Alice is sitting on a couch while Gerald rocks in a rocking chair. The room is a mess, garbage strewn about everywhere.

GERALD COLSON

So what do you want to know?

ALICE JONES

Tell me about your son.

GERALD COLSON

Ned, was a good kid, though most people thought he was trouble. But I did not father criminal, people I think blew the things he did out of proportion.

ALICE JONES

What kinds of things did people accuse your son of doing?

GERALD COLSON

He was no saint, he ran around with a tough crowd. He got caught with drugs, got kicked out of school. But he was not a bad kid. But after that incident with the Benet girl, everyone thought he was monster. I think people where glad when he turned up missing.

ALICE JONES

If you don't mind if I ask, what happened with this girl?

GERALD COLSON

Ned and his friend Frank Denings, who also went missing, well they where accused of beating Vanessa Benet pretty badly. She never pressed charges, but after everyone in the county treated Ned like he was a pariah. He was accused of a lot of things for the next few years, but then he and Frank vanished around the same time. I know it is connected somehow.

ALICE JONES

How did Frank know this Vanessa Benet?

GERALD COLSON

They where dating when that incident transpired.

ALICE JONES

Know anything else about this Benet woman?

Gerald seems puzzled.

GERALD COLSON

Don't you know her, she married the guy who runs the Dover News. Arthur Hudson.

Alice seems stunned.

ALICE JONES

You are telling me that Vanessa Benet is now Vanessa Hudson?

GERALD COLSON

Yes. I don't know what my son did, but he did not deserve to be killed. And I know he was killed.

Alice gets up.

ALICE JONES

Thank you mister Colson.

Before Alice leaves, Gerald begins to mutter.

GERALD COLSON

After Ned went missing, everything fell apart. My wife left. It has not been the same since. I hope you nail the bastard who murdered him.

Alice walks out of the room.

EXT. OUTSIDE COLSON HOME seconds LATER

Alice emerges from the house and goes to her car.

Int. inside Alice Jone's car seconds later

She gets in and seems unsettled. She pulls out her audio recorder from her pocket and speaks into it.

ALICE JONES

This story just became much stranger and I now am considering something which can't be possible. But here are the facts. Walsh, the banker, was the boss of Arthur Hudson's wife. Jeremy Good was last seen on Arthur Hudson's street. Ned Colson and Frank Denings both knew Hudson's wife. My boss is linked with almost every person who has gone missing or has been found dead.

Alice stops recording and puts the device down on the dashboard.

ALICE JONES

Alice, wait a second, your boss is not a multiple murderer. I speak with the relatives of Andy Stone. It must be a coincidence.

She starts the car and drives off.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE HUDSON HOME noon

The Hudson sits against a cloudy sky. Then Kenny's bike appears on the scene and parks in front of the house. He gets off the bike and walks to the house and looks up at Conny's window. He picks up a small stone from the ground.

Conny is in bed, reading a horror magazine. She stops when there is a small tap of a stone hitting her window. She goes to the window and opens it. She looks down and smiles when she sees Kenny.

CONNY HUDSON

Kenny, if Arthur see's you he'll flip out.

KENNY BANNER

Your father is a wussy, and no one will keep me from the woman I love. Can I come up.

Conny seems to think for a moment.

CONNY HUDSON

The front door is open. Come on up.

Arthur is sitting as his desk. He looks over some papers strewn about the desktop, but seems preoccupied. He does not notice when Alice walks in.

ALICE JONES

Boss, you said you wanted to be updated when I learned anything.

Arthur does not look up at her.

ARTHUR HUDSON

So, discover anything?

ALICE JONES

I spoke with Ned Colson's father. Did not learn anything other then that Ned knew your wife. Is that true?

Arthur looks up then leans back in his chair.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I believe they briefly dated in high school. I was in the same grade as him, though we never talked.

ALICE JONES

I heading out to meet with the brother of Andy Stone. I'll see if I can learn anything.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Alice, a woman with investigative prowess such as yourself should not be working for a small town news paper. You are turning out to be a real asset.

Alice backs out of the room but says something before she leaves.

ALICE JONES

Thanks boss.

Alice leaves and now Arthur is alone. He mutters something under his breath.

ARTHUR HUDSON

God damn it. Okay Arthur, she won't suspect anything. Everything will be fine.

EXT. OUTSIDE DOVER BANK LATER

Later in the day. People walk past the bank as the Railway Ripper stands outside the front and looks through the glass doors at Vanessa. He seems transfixed.

INT. inside Dover bank seconds later

Jill and Vanessa are at their teller windows but there are no customers in the bank. Vanessa looks down as she counts a pile of bills as Jill briefly looks out the front doors and see's the Railway Ripper outside.

VANESSA HUDSON

Is he still there?

JILL

Yes.

VANESSA HUDSON

What is he doing?

JILL

He still is looking right at you.

VANESSA HUDSON

I wish that creep with get lost.

JILL

What are you going to do?

VANESSA HUDSON

Wait for Arthur. If that guy is still there, Arthur will sort him out.

JILL

Must be nice having a big, strong man to protect you.

VANESSA HUDSON

Yes, I guess it is.

ext. outside Dover retirement home later

It is late in the noon outside the retirement home, a large Victorian style building near the center of Dover. An old man, Phil Stone, walks across the lawn in front of the building with Alice. They talk as they go along.

Phil stone

So you want to find out what happened to my brother?

ALICE JONES

Yes, I want to know what happened.

PHIL STONE

Well, he died, I'm sure of that. I just thought he would die in a car accident, not go missing, never to be heard from again.

ALICE JONES

Why did you think he would die in a car accident?

PHIL STONE

Andy, god love him, was a reckless drunk. He would drive intoxicated, was in several crashes. Nearly killed someone once.

ALICE JONES

If you don't mind my asking, but who did he nearly kill?

Phil stone

I don't know the guy's name. But Andy got drunk and plowed right into some guy's van with his truck. This guy's family was in the van, no one was hurt, but they where lucky. Andy could have killed all of them.

ALICE JONES

Please, do you know anything else?

PHIL STONE

Sorry. But this guy, I least I've been told, runs the town paper. Is he not your boss.

Alice stops walking, Phil looks back at her.

PHIL STONE

Is something wrong?

Alice begins to walk away.

ALICE JONES

Nothing at all Mr. Stone, thanks for you help.

Alice's car is parked nearby and she leans against it, she seems startled. She begins to talk to herself.

ALICE JONES

OK, either this is just a small town and Arthur knew all these people from sheer chance or my boss is a murderer. Think Alice, what should I do. If I tell the police and Arthur is innocent, I might ruin his life. Think. Think.

She then gets into the car and drives away.

EXT. OUTSIDE DOVER GRADE SCHOOL later

Outside the Dover grade school the students leave the building and board buses waiting to take them home. Ben exits the front doors of the school carrying his knapsack and see's Coach Pane waiting for him. Ben walks up to him.

BEN HUDSON

So where are we going Coach?

COACH PANE

That is a surprise. Follow me Ben.

Coach Pane leads Ben to his small car.

COACH PANE

Get in.

Ben reluctantly gets in and he and Coach Pane drive away.

Late noon outside the Dover bank. The Railway Ripper is still standing outside and looking at Vanessa. Then Arthur's van comes to a stop on the side of the street outside the bank. He waits for Vanessa. After and few moments she exits from the bank and the Railway Ripper approaches her. Arthur see's this from inside the van.

RAILWAY RIPPER

I want to talk, please.

Vanessa tries to walk past him, but he grabs her arm.

RAILWAY RIPPER

You don't want to fuck with me lady.

Vanessa looks towards Arthur.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur!

Arthur get's out of the van, quickly approaches them, and pulls the Railway Ripper's hand of Vanessa. The Railway Ripper spins around to face Arthur and seems angry.

RAILWAY RIPPER

Buddy, get your hands off me or I'll hurt you.

Arthur scowls at him, still clutching the Railway Ripper's arm.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'll give you a fair warning. Leave my wife alone. If you are looking for trouble, you've found more then you have bargained for.

Vanessa, concerned, watches them speak. The Railway Ripper pulls his arm away from Arthur's grip.

RAILWAY RIPPER

Do you have any idea who you are fucking with!

Arthur squints.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Yeah, some who is upsetting my wife. Upset her again, and god help, you'll be hurting.

They lock eyes, then Arthur takes his wife's hand and they get into their van and drive away. The Railway Ripper yells at them as they drive away.

RAILWAY RIPPER

You just fucked with the wrong person! Mother fucker!

INT. VAN SECONDS LATER

Arthur drives silently as Vanessa looks at him.

VANESSA HUDSON

Thanks, that guy has been looking at me all day. He gave me the chills.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Well, I guess I can't entirely blame him, you are very nice to look at.

Vanessa smiles briefly but then looks at Arthur's eyes.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, what did you mean when you said he would be hurting if he did not leave me alone?

ARTHUR HUDSON

An idle threat, I was just trying to scare him off.

Vanessa seems relieved.

VANESSA HUDSON

I know, Arthur, you would never hurt anyone.

Arthur looks at her momentarily then looks back at the road. They drive in silence.

Ext. factory outside town later

An old abandoned factor is located on the edge of town. It is surrounded by a chain link fence. The Railway Ripper walks out of the night from a field behind the factory. He climbs over the fence and approaches a old boarded up door.

Int. factory seconds later

A gloomy, gigantic room which is partially illuminated by moonlight coming in from the window. Machinery is everywhere, covered by cobwebs and dust. Then sounds start coming from a door. The sound of wooded being chopped by the an ax. The Railway Ripper chops through the door the pieces of it fall to the ground. He enters the factory and looks around. He then smiles.

RAILWAY RIPPER

I think I'll stay here for awhile.

int. factory later

The Railway Ripper sits on the ground. A old, rusted steel barrel is in front of him. A fire burns in it and the glow from the flames dances on the walls. The Railway Ripper looks at the fire when he then begins to grunt. He covers his ears and begins to roll around the floor.

Railway Ripper

Shut up, shut up!

He then stops his writhing about then gets to his feet.

Railway Ripper

What do you want!

His yells echo inside the factory.

RAILWAY RIPPER

OK, I won't hop onto another train until I do as you ask!

The Railway Ripper then sits down and looks at the fire.

It is a dreary, overcast morning outside the Hudson home.

INT. KITCHEN OF THE HUDSON HOME seconds later

The Hudson family sit at the kitchen table as they eat breakfast. They eat in silence for awhile when Vanessa looks at Ben.

VANESSA HUDSON

So what are you doing today Ben?

BEN HUDSON

After school, I am going to soccer practice.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Do you need a lift home after practice?

BEN HUDSON

No Dad, Coach is giving me a lift home.

ARTHUR HUDSON

OK, I just want you to know me and your mother are very proud of you Ben.

BEN HUDSON

I want you to be proud of me.

Conny frowns.

CONNY HUDSON

You are such a little suck up you turd.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Conny, watch the language.

BEN HUDSON

She is just mad because I'm the favorite child.

CONNY HUDSON

Are not.

BEN HUDSON

Am to.

Vanessa smiles.

VANESSA HUDSON

Kids, I and your father do not have a favorite child. We love you both equally. Right Arthur?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Right. But Conny, sometimes I wish you where as proactive as Ben. He spends his time trying to better himself, he does not loiter around the likes of Kenny.

Conny seems angered.

CONNY HUDSON

Kenny and I are in love.

Arthur then seems a little upset.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I just want what's best for you, and you deserve better then that little hoodlum.

Vanessa nudges Arthur then leans over and whispers into his ear.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, if Kenny makes your daughter happy, then you should be happy for her.

Arthur whispers to his wife.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I know, I know.

Then there is the honk of a vehicle horn coming from outside.

VANESSA HUDSON

Kids, the bus is here. Try to have a good day at school.

The kids get up and leave the room leaving Arthur and Vanessa alone. Vanessa looks at Arthur, he seems upset still.

ARTHUR HUDSON

She thinks she is in love with that Kenny punk.

VANESSA HUDSON

The harder you try to keep them apart, the more she will want to be with him. Just let things run there course, I'm sure she will grow tired of him.

Arthur gets up.

ARTHUR HUDSON

We better go.

Vanessa gets up, approaches Arthur then they kiss.

VANESSA HUDSON

OK dear.

They walk out of the kitchen together.

ext. outside Dover Library morning

The Dover library is inside the same large building as the ice rink. A small car parks in front of the library doors and Alice gets out. She looks around and then enters the library.

Int. inside Library later

Inside is a library, rows of shelves full of books. In the back is a small desk on which is a small machine with a screen which contains the news archives. Alice sits in front of the machine and reads. She stops then pulls out a small audio recorder device and speaks into it. As she talks, different pictures from news articles flash before us.

ALICE JONES

I have spent the morning reading old news articles about the three missing person cases which have yet to be solved. The first two happened around the same time approximately fifteen years ago. Ned Colson and Frank Denings where reported missing, they where known to be friends. They where in their late teens. About six years ago, one Andy Stone vanished. He was a farmer who lived in the southern region of the county. Though the police have never been able to explain these disappearances, it seems they are connected somehow.

Alice then turns of the recorder.

ALICE JONES

But what is the connection.

INT. OFFICE OF ARTHUR HUDSON later

Arthur is in his office. He is leaning back in his chair and looking out and window. He seems troubled by something. Then the scene begins to fade out as a flashback begins.

INT. THE SHED morning

The interior of the shed of the Hudson farm. It is empty, gardening tools and equipment hang from hooks on the wall. Then the door opens and two people enter. One is the young Arthur, near the age of ten. The other is his father Roger Hudson, a tall, obese man wearing dirty overalls and his face is flushed red and he seems enraged. After they enter, Roger pushes Arthur into a wall. Arthur then falls to the ground and looks up at his father. Roger stands over him.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Please, dad, don't.

Roger then pulls a leather strap off the wall which is hanging from a hook and holds it in his hands as he scowls at Arthur.

roger Hudson

You know what happens when you talk back you worthless shit. Now you are going to pay.

Roger raises the leather strap and then briefly smiles. Arthur seems like he is about to cry.

ROGER HUDSON

Take it like man you little fuck.

Arthur sits in his chair as the sounds from the flashback are heard. We can hear the young Arthur cry out as the sound of him being whipped with the strap can be heard. The adult Arthur closes his eyes.

ARTHUR HUDSON

God damn you, you bastard.

EXT. outside the dover High school noon

A large high school during lunch break. Students are walking out of the school.

int. inside the halls of the high school seconds later

Moving down a hallway of the school, lockers line either side as students stand in groups and talk. At the end of the hallway is a door to the boy's bathroom.

INT. inside boy's bathroom seconds later

The boy's bathroom, several empty toilet stalls as well as sinks and urinals along the wall. Conny and Kenny are at the far end of the bathroom, smoking a joint. Kenny looks into Conny's eyes and smiles.

KENNY BANNER

Baby, I have to ask you something.

CONNY HUDSON

What is it?

KENNY BANNER

Want to get married?

Conny seems stunned.

CONNY HUDSON

Are you serious?

KENNY BANNER

Yeah, we'll blow this town and go to Toronto.

CONNY HUDSON

I want to, but Arthur, he will not let me go.

KENNY BANNER

Screw your father, we are old enough to make our own decisions.

CONNY HUDSON

I don't know.

Then the school principle enters the bathroom, an older man named Mr. Ford, and upon seeing them frowns.

Mr. ford

You two, my office now. I am going to have to speak with your parents.

Conny looks away.

CONNY HUDSON

Oh shit.

int. office of Mr. Ford later

A large office, Mr. Ford sits behind his desk as Arthur and Vanessa sit in two chairs in front of him. Vanessa seems concerned, Arthur seems to be expressionless.

MR. FORD

I'm sorry I had to call you two away from work. But I found your daughter smoking marijuana in the lavatory this afternoon.

Arthur then frowns while Vanessa looks at him.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, please don't get upset.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Kenny, it is all Kenny's doing.

MR. FORD

Well, I am going to suspend Conny for the rest of the week. Afterward, she may return to school, but know that she is on thin ice. I have to ask, do you two use drugs or drink?

Vanessa shakes her head.

VANESSA HUDSON

I and my husband have a zero tolerance policy on drinking or drugs in our household.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Kenny Banner is to blame for this.

MR. FORD

Well, take your daughter home, she may return next week. Goodbye.

Arthur and Vanessa get up and leave the office.

INT. outside Mr. Ford's office seconds seconds later

Conny is sitting in a chair in the small reception area outside Mr. Ford's office. When her parents walk out of the office, she looks at them. Arthur walks past her, not looking at Conny. He leaves leaving Vanessa and Conny alone. Conny looks at her mother.

CONNY HUDSON

I'm sorry mom.

VANESSA HUDSON

Come on Conny, we are going home.

CONNY HUDSON

What is Arthur going to do?

VANESSA HUDSON

I don't know. Hopefully you just get a lecture. Now let's go.

INT. VAN LATER

Arthur sits in the passenger seat, Vanessa is beside him and Conny is in the back. They drive in silence when Arthur speaks.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Conny, I'm very upset with you.

CONNY HUDSON

I made a mistake, OK, you've never made a mistake before?

ARTHUR HUDSON

When we get home, you will go immediately to your room. Wait there until I talk with you. Do you understand?

CONNY HUDSON

Yes Arthur.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE HUDSON HOME LATER

It is later in the noon. The sky is still overcast outside the Hudson home. The van then appears and parks in the driveway. Arthur, Vanessa and Conny get out and go into the house.

Vanessa sits at the kitchen table as Arthur leans against the kitchen counter.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I knew that Kenny was trouble from the moment I first saw him. Now he has our daughter doing drugs.

VANESSA HUDSON

I know, but what can we do? Arthur, the more you try to keep them apart, the more they will want to be together.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Are you defending him?

VANESSA HUDSON

No, but I know that she think she loves him.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'm going to go speak with her. Vanessa, please support any decision I make regarding our daughter.

VANESSA HUDSON

Don't I always?

INT. CONNY'S ROOM LATER

Conny is sitting on her bed. She seems worried and looks at the door momentarily, she then whispers to herself as outside there is the sound of approaching footsteps.

CONNY HUDSON

Time for another Arthur knows best talk.

She then seems to ready herself when she hears the door begin open. Then Arthur enters, stands before Conny, and looks sternly at her.

CONNY HUDSON

I'm sorry.

Arthur says nothing.

CONNY HUDSON

Marijuana is not that big a deal. It is not like I was smoking crack.

When Arthur speaks, his voice is calm and flat.

ARTHUR HUDSON

You know I forbid alcohol in my house, I damn well forbid drugs of any kind. Now you are going to miss school for a week. You let me down Conny, you don't know how much.

CONNY HUDSON

Sorry I'm not the perfect daughter you wanted.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I just expected better from you. There are going to be consequences because of what happened today at school.

CONNY HUDSON

Like what?

ARTHUR HUDSON

You are grounded for the month, no going out, no television. Also, you are going to be doing a lot of work around the house as well as the yard.

CONNY HUDSON

Is that it?

ARTHUR HUDSON

No. From now on, you are not aloud to see Kenny.

Conny jumps up from the bed and seems upset. She raises her voice as she speaks.

CONNY HUDSON

You can't do that!

Arthur remains calm.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Against my better judgment, I gave him a chance. He proved to me that it was a mistake to think I could trust him.

CONNY HUDSON

But I love him!

ARTHUR HUDSON

Conny, you are to young to know what real love is.

Conny looks away and begins to sob.

CONNY HUDSON

You can't keep us from seeing each other.

ARTHUR HUDSON

My mind is made up. You two are finished. Now you will remain in your room and may not leave unless I say you can.

Arthur turns to leave when Conny faces him again, tears in her eyes.

CONNY HUDSON

Kenny has asked me to marry him, and I'm going to say yes.

Arthur stops and looks at her, frowning.

ARTHUR HUDSON

What?

CONNY HUDSON

Kenny and I are going away Arthur, we are getting married, and you can't stop us.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Conny, you are still a child, you have to grow up before you make decisions as important as marriage.

CONNY HUDSON

You and mom where around my age when you two got married.

ARTHUR HUDSON

That was different. You are not to see Kenny, not anymore.

CONNY HUDSON

You can't stop me, as soon as you are not looking, I'm going to go far away with Kenny. There is nothing you an do Arthur.

Arthur then looks at her, he seems angered.

CONNY HUDSON

You are mad? Then yell for once, stop being such a emotionless robot for once.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Conny, there are two things keeping me from settling this with Kenny. One is that he is still just a stupid kid who needs to grow up. Two is that I know you care about him. If it was not for those two things, Kenny would be in a world of pain.

Arthur then leaves. Once Conny is alone, she jumps into the bed and buries her face in her pillow as she cries.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE Hudson home dusk

A small car is parked on the street in front of the Hudson household. The car is idling as smoke comes out the the exhaust.

int. inside coach Pane's car seconds later

Coach Pane sits in the driver's seat, Ben is in the passenger seat.

BEN HUDSON

Thanks for driving me home coach.

Coach Pane puts his hand on Ben's shoulder.

COACH PANE

Anything for the best player I have.

Coach Pane then rubs Ben's shoulder with his hand and smiles at Ben. Ben seems uncomfortable.

BEN HUDSON

I better go, my dad is probably waiting for me.

COACH PANE

OK, but Ben, we'll be seeing a lot of each other.

BEN HUDSON

See you coach.

Ben get's out.

Arthur and Vanessa are both in bed. Vanessa is laying on her side as Arthur sits up and reads a book. Arthur then closes the book, turns of the lamp on the nightstand, and lays down. He closes his eyes. Vanessa rolls over to face him.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, maybe you are being to hard on Conny.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Maybe I am not being hard enough.

VANESSA HUDSON

If you try to push her, you might lose her forever. You have to accept that who you want her to be and who she is are two entirely different things.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Vanessa, I want what's best for her. That's all.

VANESSA HUDSON

I know, but don't you want her to be happy?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Yes.

VANESSA HUDSON

Then let her make her own choices.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I just don't want her to see Kenny anymore.

VANESSA HUDSON

I know, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Vanessa kisses him on the cheek.

VANESSA HUDSON

I love you Arthur, and I always will.

Arthur closes his eyes.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Your love is the only think that holds me together.

VANESSA HUDSON

What do you mean?

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'll explain it to see some other time.

Vanessa looks at him for a moment then closes her eyes and goes to sleep.

EXT. the outskirts of dover later

It is around midnight. A two-story, house sits on a secluded street. On the other side of the street is the abandoned factory surrounded by the fence. The Railway Ripper emerges from the factory, carrying his ax. He throws the ax over the fence and then climbs over it. He picks up the ax and approaches the house. He walks up onto the porch and knocks loudly on the door.

INT. inside Norman Brown's house seconds later

The hallway on the other side of the front door, a light comes on at the top of the staircase at the other end of the hallway and a elderly man, Norman Brown, appears at the top of the stairs. The knocking continues as Norman goes down the stairs.

Norman Brown

Who the hell is knocking on the door at this hour.

Norman then goes to the door and opens it. Upon seeing the Railway Ripper standing in front of him, holding the ax, Norman seems scared.

NORMAN BROWN

Who the hell are you?

RAILWAY RIPPER

I'm the guy who is about to kill you.

Norman backs away.

NORMAN BROWN

Please don't.

The Railway Ripper raises the ax and smiles.

RAILWAY RIPPER

They are telling me to do it.

Then the Railway Ripper swings the ax and hits Norman who falls to the ground screaming.

ext. outside Norman brown's house seconds later

Norman Brown's house in the distance, his screams slowly stop.

INT. INSIDE NORMAN BROWN'S HOUSE SECONDS LATER

The Railway Ripper stands over Norman's body. He then steps over it, he walks through the house to find it empty. He goes to a small kitchen and opens the fridge to find a lot of food inside. He closes it then goes into the living room to find it empty. He goes upstairs and goes into a bathroom. He looks at the sink then begins to mutter.

RAILWAY RIPPER

OK, OK, I'm doing it.

int. inside Norman Brown's bathroom later

The Railway Ripper is looking the the mirror as he shaves. He has already cut his long, greasy hair and has exchanged his bloodied clothing for Norman's clean clothes. He finishes shaving and looks into the mirror.

RAILWAY RIPPER

Now what do you want me to do?

The Railway Ripper acts as if he is listening to someone talking then begins to laugh.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE HUDSON HOME MORNING

It is a bright, clear day over the home of the Hudson family. A vibrant sun is rising to the east as a gentle wind blows leafs across the Hudson's front yard. The front door opens, Vanessa and Arthur walk out and go to the van in the driveway. They get in and drive away.

ext. outside Dover bank later

The Hudson's van comes to a stop in front of the bank.

INT. VAN SECONDS LATER

VANESSA HUDSON

Have a good day at work honey.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Same to you as well.

She get's out. Arthur watches her go into the bank.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE DOVER NEWS later

People walk along the sidewalk outside the Dover News. Then Arthur appears and walks into the building.

INT. inside the dover news seconds later

The main offices of the Dover News consists of five desk where the only five reporters work. The only one present is Alice, who sits at her desk. Arthur walks into the room and goes to her desk. She looks up at him.

ALICE JONES

What do you want boss?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Find anything else while researching your story?

ALICE JONES

Nothing yet, but I will.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Just keep me up to date.

Arthur then walks towards his office and goes through the door leaving Alice alone. Alice is reading some memo's on her desk when a older woman, Sarah Good, enters the offices and looks around. Sarah see's that Alice is the only one there and approaches her.

Sarah good

Excuse me miss, can you help me?

ALICE JONES

What do you want?

SARAH GOOD

My name is Sarah Good and I want someone to publish my son's picture in the paper.

ALICE JONES

Why?

SARAH GOOD

Because he went missing last Friday and has not been seen since.

Suddenly Alice seems very interested.

ALICE JONES

Have you not asked the police to help find your son?

SARAH GOOD

I did but Jeremy, my son, was known to the police. He had been caught a couple of times peeking through people's windows, and the police think he just left town. I think they are glad he is gone. You have to help me.

ALICE JONES

Well, give me a picture of your son and I'll see what I can do.

Sarah then gives Alice a picture, Alice looks at it and see's Jeremy's face.

SARAH GOOD

Thank you.

ALICE JONES

When was the last time you saw him?

SARAH GOOD

Friday, I'm ashamed to admit it, but he was peeping at people on Hanover Street recently. He might have been in that area.

ALICE JONES

OK, I take the picture into my boss right now.

Sarah nods, smiles then leaves. Alice gets up and goes into Arthur's office.

Arthur is sitting at his desk when Alice enters holding the picture. She puts the picture on Arthur's desk and he picks it up. He looks at the picture of Jeremy then looks at Alice.

ARTHUR HUDSON

And who is this?

ALICE JONES

Some peeping tom who has gone missing. I'll bet it is linked to the others.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Maybe you are jumping to conclusions.

ALICE JONES

Or maybe we have an actual killer her in Dover. And he is killing more frequently.

Arthur swivels around in his chair and looks out the window behind him.

ARTHUR HUDSON

This is a very peaceful community, I am not overly eager to have everyone in the county to think we have a killer running around. I don't want to start a panic.

ALICE JONES

The mother of the guy in the picture, she says he was last seen on Hanover Street. Don't you live in that part of town?

ARTHUR HUDSON

I live at the end of Hanover Street actually.

ALICE JONES

Did you ever see this guy.

Arthur squints his eyes.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I've never seen him before in my life.

ALICE JONES

Well, I think someone killed him. And I'm going to find him before he strikes again.

ARTHUR HUDSON

That is a matter for the police.

ALICE JONES

This is news, and that is my job.

ARTHUR HUDSON

What do you plan to do next?

ALICE JONES

Speak with the families of the first three victims. See if I can learning anything.

Arthur turns to look at her again.

ARTHUR HUDSON

OK, I'll keep you on the story, but I won't print anything until you have more.

ALICE JONES

Thanks boss.

Alice leaves, once Arthur is alone he picks the picture of his wife off the desk and looks at it. He seems worried.

ARTHUR Hudson

Damn, I do not know to do. I don't want to lose you and the kids.

He places the picture of his wife on the desk but keeps looking at it.

EXT. OUTSIDE DOVER BANK noon

It is outside the Dover bank around noon. Vanessa and Jill are sitting on the stone steps for lunch break, both are smoking a cigarette. Jill looks at Vanessa.

JILL

It has been years since you smoked during lunch break. I thought you quite?

VANESSA HUDSON

I promised Arthur I would, but I don't know, I'm kind of stressed out because of our daughter. As well as some other things.

JILL

Like what?

VANESSA HUDSON

I do not want to talk about it.

JILL

I'm your best friend, you can tell me.

VANESSA HUDSON

I've know Arthur a long time, I'm his wife, and I sometimes feel like there is something he is hiding from me.

JILL

Think he is being unfaithful?

Vanessa laughs.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur would never cheat on me.

JILL

Why are you so sure?

VANESSA HUDSON

He does not warm up to people easily. In the almost twenty years I've known him, I have never seen him even make a friend. I and and kids are the only thing he has, I think we are all he cares about. I know he would not jeopardize that by cheating. But, sometimes feel he has one big secret that he is hiding from me.

JILL

You have a good husband there Vanessa.

VANESSA HUDSON

He is the best, but he is a troubled person in some ways. But he still has not told me why.

Then farther down the street from the bank, the Railway Ripper appears and is walking down the sidewalk. He is cleaned up and no one takes any notice of him as he passes. He then walks towards the steps of the bank. When he see's Vanessa in the distance, he stops and stares at her, she does not and she continues to talk.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, though I love him dearly, is a very cold man. I know he has a heart, but it only has room for the kids and me, and nothing else.

The Railway Ripper then approaches the bank and stands before Vanessa and Jill. They stop talking at look at him in silence. Vanessa seems a little unsettled by his appearance.

VANESSA HUDSON

Do you want something mister?

RAILWAY RIPPER

I would like a cigarette, if you could spare one.

Jill takes out a pack of cigarettes and gives one to him. She then lights it for the Railway Ripper and he begins to smoke.

VANESSA HUDSON

I haven't seen you in town before. Did you just move here?

RAILWAY RIPPER

No, I'm just passing through.

Vanessa nudges Jill and they both put out their cigarette's and begin to go into the bank. Jill leans over and whispers into Vanessa's ear.

JILL

That guy is huge.

Vanessa whispers back.

VANESSA HUDSON

That guy gives me a bad feeling.

The Railway Ripper watches them go into the bank and just stairs at the door for awhile. He then begins to mumble.

RAILWAY RIPPER

She is beautiful. I want her.

He then walks away.

ext. outside Dover Grade School noon

In another part of the county is the Dover grade school, Ben as well as the other members of his soccer team are playing soccer in the field beside the school. Coach Pane stands to the side then blows a whistle and his team gather around him.

COACH PANE

OK, this weekend, we are going to annihilate the other team. So try to do your best. That is all for today.

Then the team begins to run towards the school, Ben is about to leave when Coach Pane speaks.

COACH PANE

Ben, I would like to talk to you.

Ben stops and stands in front of Coach Pane.

BEN HUDSON

What do you want coach?

COACH PANE

You may be the most talented player I have ever seen and I've seen a lot. I want to help you harness your talent.

BEN HUDSON

Is that all?

COACH PANE

No, tomorrow, after school, I am going to give you some tips that could really help you out.

BEN HUDSON

With the rest of the team?

COACH PANE

No, just you and me.

BEN HUDSON

I'll have to ask my parents.

COACH PANE

Just tell them it is soccer practice. They don't have to know.

BEN HUDSON

I don't want to lie to my parents.

COACH PANE

All kids have secrets they keep from their parents, this will be ours.

BEN HUDSON

I don't know.

COACH PANE

You like being my star player, right.

BEN HUDSON

Of course.

COACH PANE

Well, unless you want to spend the season on the bench, you won't tell them. Got it.

Ben seems hesitant but then nods.

BEN HUDSON

I won't tell them coach.

COACH PANE

Good, you can go then.

Ben then runs towards the school. Coach Pane's eyes are locked on him as he runs away, and smile appears on the Coach's lips.

The sun sets majestically behind the Hudson home as night looms to the east.

Arthur, Vanessa and Ben sit at the kitchen table as they eat dinner. They eat silently until Ben speaks.

BEN HUDSON

Why is Conny not eating with us?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Because she is grounded. She can only leave he room when she has work to do around the house.

VANESSA HUDSON

Ben, you father is trying to teach your sister a lesson.

BEN HUDSON

It does not just feel like dinner without Conny.

VANESSA HUDSON

Are you actually suggesting that you love your sister?

Ben shakes his head.

BEN HUDSON

No, she is yucky.

Arthur looks at his son.

ARTHUR HUDSON

So Ben, looking forward to this weekend's game.

BEN HUDSON

Yep, I can't wait.

VANESSA HUDSON

You so great, I sure.

Ben then looks down at his food as he moves it about his plate with his fork. Vanessa looks at him.

VANESSA HUDSON

Is something wrong Ben?

BEN HUDSON

No. But tomorrow, I have soccer practice. Coach will drive me home.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I don't remember there being a soccer practice tomorrow.

BEN HUDSON

Coach just told me today.

Vanessa gets up, Arthur looks at her.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Where are you going?

VANESSA HUDSON

To speak with Conny, she might be grounded, but she is not in prison.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Well, just remember that we are trying to teach her that there are consequences for doing drugs. It is for her own good.

VANESSA HUDSON

I know.

INT. CONNY'S ROOM LATER

Conny is laying on her bed and is looking up at the ceiling. The door opens when Vanessa walks in.

VANESSA HUDSON

Would you like to talk?

Conny does not look at her.

CONNY HUDSON

So that fascist you married let you speak with his bad seed of a daughter.

VANESSA HUDSON

He might be a fascist, but he is still you dad.

They both laugh and Conny looks at her mother.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur said that Kenny asked you to marry him.

CONNY HUDSON

I'm going to. Do you also want me to never see the man I love again?

VANESSA HUDSON

I want you to be happy. And if Kenny makes you happy, then I want you to be with him.

CONNY HUDSON

Try telling that to Arthur. Maybe you could get it through his thick skull.

VANESSA HUDSON

Just give him some time. He come around. If Kenny loves you, then he won't mind giving up the weed. If he does, your father might let you see him.

CONNY HUDSON

It is my life, I'll do what I want with it. Besides, you did the same thing when you where my age.

VANESSA HUDSON

Yes, and because of that I was hanging around some boys you tried to hurt me. I don't want to see that happen to you.

CONNY HUDSON

I know what I'm doing.

Vanessa then goes to the door but looks back at her daughter.

VANESSA HUDSON

Please Conny, believe that your father acts the way he does because he loves you.

CONNY HUDSON

If he really loved, then he would accept who I am and not pressure me into being someone else.

VANESSA HUDSON

I'm going now, but I love you Conny.

CONNY HUDSON

I love you to mom.

Vanessa leaves and Conny is alone.

INT. MASTER BEDROOM of Hudson home night

It is after midnight. Vanessa is asleep in bed, the room is darkened accept for moonlight coming in from the window. Arthur looks out the window, his face bathed in moonlight, and he seems worried. He looks at Vanessa and whispers to himself.

ARTHUR HUDSON

So much is happening right now. I don't want to lose you and the kids, you are all I have. But they might discover what I've been keeping from you. I don't know what to do.

Arthur then looks out the window again and stares at the nearly full moon.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I never wanted you to find out who I really was. The things I am capable of, the horrible forces that are at work inside my soul. I don't want you to learn who Arthur Hudson really is.

Arthur lowers his head and sighs.

A nearly full moon looms over the gloomy factory. The Railway Ripper's screams echo out from inside.

A fire burns inside a barrel in the center of the factory as the light from it dances rhythmically on the walls. The Railway Ripper is standing near the barrel as he moans.

RAILWAY RIPPER

Shut up! Shut your fucking mouths!

He then listens for a moment then shakes his head.

RAILWAY RIPPER

But she is so beautiful. I want her, and want her more then anything.

He listens then nods.

RAILWAY RIPPER

The only way I can have her is by taking her. And after I'm done, I give her to you like I have all the others.

He begins to laugh.

RAILWAY RIPPER

She will be mine, and afterward, I will bath in her blood.

EXT. FACTORY OUTSIDE TOWN seconds LATER

The factory looming in the distance. The Railway Ripper's maniacal laughter bellows out from within it.

It is a partially cloudy morning outside the Hudson home as clouds drift peacefully across the sky.

Conny is laying in bed when Arthur enters. He looks sternly at his daughter.

ARTHUR HUDSON

OK Conny, your mother and I are going to work. I want the house spotless when we get home, and the entire yard raked. You got that?

Conny does not look at him.

CONNY HUDSON

Yes sir, anything else Arthur?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Yeah, lose the attitude.

Arthur leaves the room, when his back is to Conny she gives him the finger.

Ext. outside colson home later

In a rural part of the county where Dover is, the home of the Colson family sits between farmer's fields. Alice's car drives down the long driveway as she approaches the house. The car stops in front of it and she gets out. She walks up onto the porch and knocks on the door. After a few moments, the door opens slightly and there stands Gerald Colson, an old man dressed in drab clothing.

Gerald Colson

What do you want woman?

Alice shakes his hand.

ALICE JONES

I'm a reporter with the Dover News, Alice Jones. I'm doing a story about some people who have gone missing in the county Mr. Colson.

GERALD COLSON

What does that have to do with me?

ALICE JONES

Your son, Ned, I want to find out want happened to him. I would like to talk to you about it.

Gerald seems saddened by the mentioning of his son. He steps back and opens the door completely.

GERALD COLSON

Come in, sorry, but the place is a bit of a mess.

Int. Gerald Colson's living room seconds later

Alice is sitting on a couch while Gerald rocks in a rocking chair. The room is a mess, garbage strewn about everywhere.

GERALD COLSON

So what do you want to know?

ALICE JONES

Tell me about your son.

GERALD COLSON

Ned, was a good kid, though most people thought he was trouble. But I did not father criminal, people I think blew the things he did out of proportion.

ALICE JONES

What kinds of things did people accuse your son of doing?

GERALD COLSON

He was no saint, he ran around with a tough crowd. He got caught with drugs, got kicked out of school. But he was not a bad kid. But after that incident with the Benet girl, everyone thought he was monster. I think people where glad when he turned up missing.

ALICE JONES

If you don't mind if I ask, what happened with this girl?

GERALD COLSON

Ned and his friend Frank Denings, who also went missing, well they where accused of beating Vanessa Benet pretty badly. She never pressed charges, but after everyone in the county treated Ned like he was a pariah. He was accused of a lot of things for the next few years, but then he and Frank vanished around the same time. I know it is connected somehow.

ALICE JONES

How did Frank know this Vanessa Benet?

GERALD COLSON

They where dating when that incident transpired.

ALICE JONES

Know anything else about this Benet woman?

Gerald seems puzzled.

GERALD COLSON

Don't you know her, she married the guy who runs the Dover News. Arthur Hudson.

Alice seems stunned.

ALICE JONES

You are telling me that Vanessa Benet is now Vanessa Hudson?

GERALD COLSON

Yes. I don't know what my son did, but he did not deserve to be killed. And I know he was killed.

Alice gets up.

ALICE JONES

Thank you mister Colson.

Before Alice leaves, Gerald begins to mutter.

GERALD COLSON

After Ned went missing, everything fell apart. My wife left. It has not been the same since. I hope you nail the bastard who murdered him.

Alice walks out of the room.

EXT. OUTSIDE COLSON HOME seconds LATER

Alice emerges from the house and goes to her car.

Int. inside Alice Jone's car seconds later

She gets in and seems unsettled. She pulls out her audio recorder from her pocket and speaks into it.

ALICE JONES

This story just became much stranger and I now am considering something which can't be possible. But here are the facts. Walsh, the banker, was the boss of Arthur Hudson's wife. Jeremy Good was last seen on Arthur Hudson's street. Ned Colson and Frank Denings both knew Hudson's wife. My boss is linked with almost every person who has gone missing or has been found dead.

Alice stops recording and puts the device down on the dashboard.

ALICE JONES

Alice, wait a second, your boss is not a multiple murderer. I speak with the relatives of Andy Stone. It must be a coincidence.

She starts the car and drives off.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE HUDSON HOME noon

The Hudson sits against a cloudy sky. Then Kenny's bike appears on the scene and parks in front of the house. He gets off the bike and walks to the house and looks up at Conny's window. He picks up a small stone from the ground.

Conny is in bed, reading a horror magazine. She stops when there is a small tap of a stone hitting her window. She goes to the window and opens it. She looks down and smiles when she sees Kenny.

CONNY HUDSON

Kenny, if Arthur see's you he'll flip out.

KENNY BANNER

Your father is a wussy, and no one will keep me from the woman I love. Can I come up.

Conny seems to think for a moment.

CONNY HUDSON

The front door is open. Come on up.

Arthur is sitting as his desk. He looks over some papers strewn about the desktop, but seems preoccupied. He does not notice when Alice walks in.

ALICE JONES

Boss, you said you wanted to be updated when I learned anything.

Arthur does not look up at her.

ARTHUR HUDSON

So, discover anything?

ALICE JONES

I spoke with Ned Colson's father. Did not learn anything other then that Ned knew your wife. Is that true?

Arthur looks up then leans back in his chair.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I believe they briefly dated in high school. I was in the same grade as him, though we never talked.

ALICE JONES

I heading out to meet with the brother of Andy Stone. I'll see if I can learn anything.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Alice, a woman with investigative prowess such as yourself should not be working for a small town news paper. You are turning out to be a real asset.

Alice backs out of the room but says something before she leaves.

ALICE JONES

Thanks boss.

Alice leaves and now Arthur is alone. He mutters something under his breath.

ARTHUR HUDSON

God damn it. Okay Arthur, she won't suspect anything. Everything will be fine.

Later in the day. People walk past the bank as the Railway Ripper stands outside the front and looks through the glass doors at Vanessa. He seems transfixed.

INT. inside Dover bank seconds later

Jill and Vanessa are at their teller windows but there are no customers in the bank. Vanessa looks down as she counts a pile of bills as Jill briefly looks out the front doors and see's the Railway Ripper outside.

VANESSA HUDSON

Is he still there?

JILL

Yes.

VANESSA HUDSON

What is he doing?

JILL

He still is looking right at you.

VANESSA HUDSON

I wish that creep with get lost.

JILL

VANESSA HUDSON

Wait for Arthur. If that guy is still there, Arthur will sort him out.

JILL

Must be nice having a big, strong man to protect you.

VANESSA HUDSON

Yes, I guess it is.

ext. outside Dover retirement home later

It is late in the noon outside the retirement home, a large Victorian style building near the center of Dover. An old man, Phil Stone, walks across the lawn in front of the building with Alice. They talk as they go along.

Phil stone

So you want to find out what happened to my brother?

ALICE JONES

Yes, I want to know what happened.

PHIL STONE

Well, he died, I'm sure of that. I just thought he would die in a car accident, not go missing, never to be heard from again.

ALICE JONES

Why did you think he would die in a car accident?

PHIL STONE

Andy, god love him, was a reckless drunk. He would drive intoxicated, was in several crashes. Nearly killed someone once.

ALICE JONES

If you don't mind my asking, but who did he nearly kill?

Phil stone

I don't know the guy's name. But Andy got drunk and plowed right into some guy's van with his truck. This guy's family was in the van, no one was hurt, but they where lucky. Andy could have killed all of them.

ALICE JONES

Please, do you know anything else?

PHIL STONE

Sorry. But this guy, I least I've been told, runs the town paper. Is he not your boss.

Alice stops walking, Phil looks back at her.

PHIL STONE

Is something wrong?

Alice begins to walk away.

ALICE JONES

Nothing at all Mr. Stone, thanks for you help.

Alice's car is parked nearby and she leans against it, she seems startled. She begins to talk to herself.

ALICE JONES

OK, either this is just a small town and Arthur knew all these people from sheer chance or my boss is a murderer. Think Alice, what should I do. If I tell the police and Arthur is innocent, I might ruin his life. Think. Think.

She then gets into the car and drives away.

EXT. OUTSIDE DOVER GRADE SCHOOL later

Outside the Dover grade school the students leave the building and board buses waiting to take them home. Ben exits the front doors of the school carrying his knapsack and see's Coach Pane waiting for him. Ben walks up to him.

BEN HUDSON

So where are we going Coach?

COACH PANE

That is a surprise. Follow me Ben.

Coach Pane leads Ben to his small car.

COACH PANE

Get in.

Ben reluctantly gets in and he and Coach Pane drive away.

Late noon outside the Dover bank. The Railway Ripper is still standing outside and looking at Vanessa. Then Arthur's van comes to a stop on the side of the street outside the bank. He waits for Vanessa. After and few moments she exits from the bank and the Railway Ripper approaches her. Arthur see's this from inside the van.

RAILWAY RIPPER

I want to talk, please.

Vanessa tries to walk past him, but he grabs her arm.

RAILWAY RIPPER

You don't want to fuck with me lady.

Vanessa looks towards Arthur.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur!

Arthur get's out of the van, quickly approaches them, and pulls the Railway Ripper's hand of Vanessa. The Railway Ripper spins around to face Arthur and seems angry.

RAILWAY RIPPER

Buddy, get your hands off me or I'll hurt you.

Arthur scowls at him, still clutching the Railway Ripper's arm.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'll give you a fair warning. Leave my wife alone. If you are looking for trouble, you've found more then you have bargained for.

Vanessa, concerned, watches them speak. The Railway Ripper pulls his arm away from Arthur's grip.

RAILWAY RIPPER

Do you have any idea who you are fucking with!

Arthur squints.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Yeah, some who is upsetting my wife. Upset her again, and god help, you'll be hurting.

They lock eyes, then Arthur takes his wife's hand and they get into their van and drive away. The Railway Ripper yells at them as they drive away.

RAILWAY RIPPER

You just fucked with the wrong person! Mother fucker!

INT. VAN SECONDS LATER

Arthur drives silently as Vanessa looks at him.

VANESSA HUDSON

Thanks, that guy has been looking at me all day. He gave me the chills.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Well, I guess I can't entirely blame him, you are very nice to look at.

Vanessa smiles briefly but then looks at Arthur's eyes.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, what did you mean when you said he would be hurting if he did not leave me alone?

ARTHUR HUDSON

An idle threat, I was just trying to scare him off.

Vanessa seems relieved.

VANESSA HUDSON

I know, Arthur, you would never hurt anyone.

Arthur looks at her momentarily then looks back at the road. They drive in silence.

ext. outside coach pane's home later

It is nearly dusk as Coach Pane's car pulls into the driveway of his small, one-story home near the edge of Dover. He and Ben get out, the boy looks at the house.

BEN HUDSON

Why are we at your house coach?

COACH PANE

Because I want to teach you some stuff. Please come inside.

Ben and coach Pane go inside the house, though Ben walks slowly and seems somewhat suspicious.

int. inside Coach Pane's home seconds later

Coach Pane's living room. A large, leather couch sits in front of a television. Posters of scantily dressed women cover the walls. A pile of adult magazines is in the corner. Ben walks in and Coach Pane speaks from another part of the house.

COACH PANE

Have a seat Ben. I have a surprise for you.

Ben sits on the couch and looks down at the floor. Coach Pane then enters the living room carrying to glasses of wine.

COACH PANE

Drink this Ben, it will make you feel good all over.

Ben looks towards the glasses and shakes his head.

BEN HUDSON

That is alcohol isn't it?

COACH PANE

Smart boy.

BEN HUDSON

My dad said that alcohol is for losers and pathetic bums.

COACH PANE

Give it a try, you will like it.

BEN HUDSON

Coach, I think I'm going to leave.

COACH PANE

But I haven't given you your surprise.

Ben gets up to leave but Coach Pane gets in between him and the door to outside. Coach Pane looks at the posters of the women on the wall.

COACH PANE

Don't those women make you feel good.

BEN HUDSON

Get out of my way Coach, I want to go home.

Coach Pane begins to unzip his pants.

COACH PANE

Get ready for your surprise.

But before Coach Pane can pull down his pants, Ben kicks him in the crotch with a powerful kick. Coach Pane falls to the ground, moaning in agony. Ben then runs outside.

EXT. OUTSIDE COACH PANE'S HOME seconds LATER

Ben bolts out from the house and runs away. Coach Pane, still in agony, emerges from the doors and yells.

COACH PANE

Get back here you little bastard.

Ben runs swiftly down the street.

The darkening sky looms over the Hudson home. Kenny's bike is still parked outside. Arthur's van then pulls into the driveway. He get's out of the van with Vanessa and he looks at the bike. Arthur seems somewhat angry.

ARTHUR HUDSON

So help I'll ring that little punk's neck.

Vanessa looks at her husband.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, please, don't over react.

Arthur then marches into the house.

Conny and Kenny, full clothed, lay in bed holding each other. They are asleep when they hear and door slam from somewhere else in the house. Kenny and Conny awake and he looks at his wrist watch and seems worried.

KENNY BANNER

Oh shit.

Then Arthur's heavy footsteps begin to come closer and he opens the door and scowls at Kenny. Kenny smiles and shrugs.

KENNY BANNER

What's up Mr. Hudson?

Arthur seems angry yet somewhat composed.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Kenny, leave my house a never come back. My daughter deserves better then the likes of you.

Kenny gets out of the bed and walks past Arthur and leaves. Conny sits up and seems upset.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Conny, I told you not to see him anymore.

CONNY HUDSON

I love him and nothing is going to keep us apart! You have no right to make me not love him!

ARTHUR HUDSON

You just got yourself grounded for another three months. And know this, I am seriously questioning if I can trust you.

CONNY HUDSON

Get out of my room! I hate you Arthur!

ARTHUR HUDSON

You don't mean that Conny.

CONNY HUDSON

I wish that I never had to see you ever again! Now get out!

Arthur turns to leave but says something before walking out the door.

ARTHUR HUDSON

This is not finished, you are not to leave this room for any reason.

Arthur leaves and slams the door. Conny yells.

CONNY HUDSON

Fuck you Arthur!

Vanessa sits at the kitchen table when Arthur, somewhat infuriated, enters as sits at the table also.

VANESSA HUDSON

Are you OK?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Vanessa, our daughter hates me. All I'm trying to be is a good father to her, if that means being overly strict, then so be it.

Vanessa puts her hand on Arthur's.

VANESSA HUDSON

Well, instead of trying to be her father, try to be her friend.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'm just trying to look out for her. That is all.

VANESSA HUDSON

She is nearly an adult, let her make her own choices. If that choice is being with Kenny Banner, that you have to accept it.

Arthur frowns.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I just hate that kid so much. I mean I really hate him.

Vanessa laughs and hugs Arthur.

VANESSA HUDSON

Well, our daughter likes him, so you might have to pretend to.

Arthur leans his head against Vanessa's shoulder.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Vanessa, you half always brought out the better part of me. I don't know what I would do without you.

Suddenly Ben, panting heavily and looking upset, runs into the kitchen. His parents look at him and seem concerned.

ARTHUR HUDSON

What is wrong Ben? What happened?

BEN HUDSON

Mom, I need to talk with Dad.

VANESSA HUDSON

What about?

BEN HUDSON

Please, I just want to tell Dad.

Vanessa nods and begins to get up.

VANESSA HUDSON

OK, I'll leave the men of the house to speak alone.

Vanessa leaves the room and Ben approaches Arthur.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Ben, what happened at soccer practice?

BEN HUDSON

There was no practice. Coach Pane took me to his house, all by myself.

Suddenly Arthur frowns and looks directly at Ben.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Tell me what happened Ben, now.

BEN HUDSON

Coach Pane tried to get me to drink alcohol. I would not, then he began to unzip his pants.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Did he touch you?

BEN HUDSON

No, I kicked him in the balls and ran away.

Ben's eyes begin to tear up.

BEN HUDSON

I'm sorry Dad.

Arthur puts his hand on Ben's shoulder.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Ben, you did the right thing. I promise, Coach Pane won't be doing anything like that ever again.

BEN HUDSON

ARTHUR HUDSON

Son, promise me you won't tell anyone what you just told me no matter what, not even your mother.

BEN HUDSON

Why?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Just promise me Ben.

BEN HUDSON

I promise dad.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Go to you room. If your mother asks what happened, tell her that you got into a fight at school.

Ben nods then runs up to his room. After a few moments Vanessa walks into the kitchen and looks at Arthur.

VANESSA HUDSON

So what happened?

Arthur gets up.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Just had a disagreement at school.

Arthur walks past her but she stops him.

VANESSA HUDSON

Going somewhere?

Arthur looks at her.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Just going you know where to blow of some steam. I'll be back.

Arthur then pulls away from her and leaves the kitchen.

INT. INSIDE COACH PANE'S HOME LATER

Coach Pane sits on the couch in his living room, a bag off ice on his crotch. Then there is a knock at the front door and he gets up and painfully walks over to the front door. He opens it to find Arthur standing outside. Coach Pane seems startled.

COACH PANE

You are Ben Hudson's father, are you not?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Yes, I would like to speak with you about him.

Coach Pane shakes his head.

COACH PANE

What ever he said, he is lying.

ARTHUR HUDSON

He came home upset, but did not tell me what happened. I thought you might know.

Coach Pane seems relieved.

COACH PANE

I don't know, I really don't.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Listen, I'm concerned about my son. He seems to be close with you, so you might know what is going on with him lately. Can we talk?

COACH PANE

Come inside.

ARTHUR HUDSON

If you don't mind, I would feel more comfortable if we spoke in my van. We'll go for a short drive.

Coach Pane seems reluctant.

COACH PANE

OK, let's go.

INT. VAN LATER

It is night as Arthur and Coach Pane drive through the countryside. Coach Pane talks while Arthur has a stony expression on his face.

COACH PANE

Your son is a good soccer player, but he tells stories, a lot of which never happened. I think he gets confused by a lot of things.

Coach Pane looks out the passenger window.

COACH PANE

Why are we in this part of the county, this place is practically deserted.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Actually the home where I grew up is in this area. There is something I would like to show you.

COACH PANE

What is it?

ARTHUR HUDSON

You'll find out in a minute.

EXT. THE HUDSON FARM LATER

The almost full moon hangs over the Hudson farm, casting a surreal glow over the cabin and the shed outback. Arthur's van then drives down the driveway and comes to a stop in front of the cabin. He gets out, so does Coach Pane. Coach Pane looks around.

COACH PANE

OK, why am I here?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Follow me.

Arthur leads him around to the back of the cabin where the shed is and Arthur opens the shed's door. He stands beside it and looks at Coach Pane.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Go inside, please.

Coach Pane slowly enters and Arthur follows.

INT. INSIDE SHED MOMENTS LATER

Coach Pane stands near the entrance of the shed and is looking around, Arthur stands behind him. Coach Pane looks at the chair in the center of the room, it is covered with blood as well as covering the ground around the chair.

COACH PANE

Is that blood, why is there blood everywhere?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Your about to find out.

Coach Pane turns to face Arthur then Arthur punches him in the month with a powerful blow. It knocks out several of Coach Pane's teeth and a spray of blood burst from his mouth. Coach Pane falls to the ground and moans in agony. Arthur then locks the door to the shed, removes his coat and rolls up his sleeves. Arthur goes to the workbench at the far side of the room, picks up the hunting knife and begins sharpening it. Coach Pane gets up onto his knee's covering his mouth with his hand.

COACH PANE

What are you doing?

Arthur continues to sharpen the knife.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Ben, you tried to hurt him in a way that is very serious.

Coach Pane shakes his head.

COACH PANE

What ever he told you, he is lying I swear.

ARTHUR HUDSON

He was not the first. How many others have you done that to? How many more would you have done that to? Probably a lot, accept you picked the wrong kid.

Coach Pane seems terrified.

COACH PANE

Arthur stops sharpening the knife, turns to face Coach Pane and looks around the shed, the large knife still in his hand.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I've brought five other men to this shed before you. I admit with all of them, I felt somewhat guilty about what I did to them.

Arthur points the knife at Coach Pane.

ARTHUR HUDSON

But you, I must admit I'll enjoy this a little.

Coach Pane is now crying and shaking his head.

COACH PANE

Why, why don't you just take me to the police?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Once, one time I decided to wait for someone else to protect someone who I loved. That choice cost them their life. Now, anyone tries to hurt my loved ones, I hurt them.

Coach Pane then puts his hands together and pleads.

COACH PANE

Let me go, I'll never do it again.

Arthur frowns and looks at his reflection in the blade of the knife.

ARTHUR HUDSON

It is going to be a long night. With the others, I would hurt them for at most two hours before putting them out of their misery. But you, well, this is going to be a long night.

Arthur then approaches Coach Pane, Coach Pane's eyes are locked on the knife.

COACH PANE

Please, have mercy.

ARTHUR HUDSON

If you are on my good side, then I like to think of myself as a merciful individual. But for those unfortunate enough to end up on my bad side, then you'll find that I'm fresh out of mercy.

Arthur now stands over Coach Pane and raises the knife, Coach Pane begins to scream.

COACH PANE

Help!

ARTHUR HUDSON

Scream all you want. No one can hear you.

EXT. THE SHED seconds later

Coach Pane's screams bellow out from the shed and echo through the secluded valleys and fields which surround the farm. The nearly full moon hangs overhead. Then it fades to the next scene.

ext. the shed morning

It is the twilight hours as the vague hint of daylight looms over the eastern horizon. Arthur emerges from the shed, his clothes splattered with blood. He looks east and deeply inhales. He walks to the van and gets a shovel out of the back.

ext. field beside Hudson farm later

The sun has just begun to barely peak above the eastern horizon. Arthur stands in a field beside the shed and is filling a large with ground from a mound of dirt. He finishes and looks at the four other graves he has dug here, now just bumps along the ground.

It is still early in the morning as Arthur stands behind his van. He has exchanged his bloody clothes for a fresh change of clothing. He gets into the van and drives away.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE HUDSON HOME later

It is now mid morning. They sky is mostly clear, though thunderclouds loom in the distance. Arthur's van then pulls into the driveway and he parks. He gets out and goes into the house.

INT. BEDROOM OF THE HUDSON HOME seconds LATER

Vanessa is sitting up in bed, she seems worried and keeps glancing at the clock. When the bedroom door opens and Arthur walks in, she breaths and sigh of relief. She gets up, runs to Arthur and throws her arms around him.

VANESSA HUDSON

Where have you been? I was worried sick.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Sorry, I lost track of time. I did not mean for you worry.

VANESSA HUDSON

Promise me that you are OK Arthur.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'm fine. Listen, get the kids up. I want us to eat breakfast as a family.

Vanessa lets go of Arthur and steps back.

VANESSA HUDSON

I thought Conny could not leave her room.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I just want to spend the morning with my family.

Vanessa nods.

VANESSA HUDSON

Of course.

Arthur sits at the table with his family as they eat. Everyone is silent as they eat breakfast when Conny looks at Arthur.

CONNY HUDSON

So why am I aloud out of my room Arthur?

Arthur looks at her.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Conny, I been thinking. If you keep your grades up and promise to not smoke drugs, then I'll allow you to see Kenny.

Conny seems suspicious.

CONNY HUDSON

Is this a trick?

ARTHUR HUDSON

No, if he makes you happy, then I guess that is not a bad thing.

Conny nods.

CONNY HUDSON

Thanks Arthur.

Vanessa smiles and looks at Arthur.

VANESSA HUDSON

What is with the change of heart?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Conny is almost an adult, and I don't know how much longer we'll be able to spend time together as a family.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, no matter what happens, we will always be a family.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I hope so.

Arthur looks at Ben.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Sure you are up to going to school today Ben?

Ben nods.

BEN HUDSON

Yes dad.

Arthur then looks at each member of his family.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I know I have trouble showing my feelings sometimes. But I really do love you all. You can't know how much.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, what has come over you.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Nothing, now let's eat as a family.

Then they eat in silence.

EXT. OUTSIDE DOVER BANK NOON

It is nearly noon outside the Dover bank. Grey clouds fill the sky as cold rain drizzles down upon the street. The sound of thunder booms in the distance. Alice's car the appears on the street in front of the bank. She gets out and enters the building.

INT. INSIDE DOVER BANK SECONDS LATER

Vanessa is behind her teller window and does not notice Alice approach, Vanessa is startled when Alice speaks.

ALICE JONES

Can we talk Mrs. Hudson?

VANESSA HUDSON

Sorry, did not see you there. Who are you?

ALICE JONES

You don't know me, but I work for Arthur at the paper. My name is Alice.

VANESSA HUDSON

What do you want to talk to me about?

ALICE JONES

Last Friday night, was Arthur home?

VANESSA HUDSON

Why do you want to know?

ALICE JONES

Please, just tell me. All I can say that it is important.

Vanessa seems dubious but then shrugs.

VANESSA HUDSON

Well, Arthur went out for a couple of hours.

ALICE JONES

Do you know where he went?

VANESSA HUDSON

He owns a farm around the southern end of the county, it was an inheritance. He goes there to think.

Alice turns to leave but says something.

ALICE JONES

Thanks.

Vanessa watches her leave, she seems worried.

The cold rain drizzles over the Hudson farm. Alice's car then appears and the end of the driveway and approaches the rustic cabin. It parks nearby and she gets out. She goes to a window of the cabin and looks in.

Int. inside Hudson cabin seconds later

Inside the gloomy, unlit cabin us ancient furniture and shelves covered with cobwebs and dust.

EXT. THE HUDSON FARM seconds later

Alice walks around the cabin and see's the shed. She slowly approaches it and tries to open the door but it is locked. But the door is old and she is able to bust it open by repeatedly kicking. She stands before the open door then enters.

INT. THE SHED seconds later

Alice stands inside the shed. The light is off but sunlight comes through the open door and reveals the blood splattered chair and ground. Alice gasps.

ALICE JONES

Oh my God. Arthur really did it, he killed all of them.

Alice then cautiously walks across the shed floor and comes to the work bench. She then see's the hunting knife, blade covered with dried blood. She picks it up and looks at it.

ALICE JONES

Sorry boss, I wish I never asked to write this story.

Later in the day. Arthur sits at his desk and reads some articles submitted by his writers. He is so focused on his work that he does not notice Alice walk into the office. He looks up when Alice drops the hunting knife on his desk.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Alice, what the hell are you doing?

Alice looks at the knife.

ALICE JONES

I know everything, I know you killed five people. Maybe more.

Arthur glances at the knife then looks at Alice again.

ARTHUR HUDSON

What do you know Alice?

ALICE JONES

You are connected with everyone who went missing. Your wife told me of your late night excursions to your family farm so I went there. I found a shed, the inside covered with blood. As well as that knife.

Arthur seems expressionless.

ARTHUR HUDSON

So why are you telling me and not the police?

ALICE JONES

Because I liked you Mr. Hudson, you where a good boss. I don't want to believe it, but it is true.

Arthur turns to look out the window behind his desk. He looks at the cold rain hitting the glass and lowers his head.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Yes Alice it is true.

ALICE JONES

Why the hell for?

Arthur lets out a deep sigh.

ARTHUR HUDSON

That is a long story which I won't bother you with. I could not stop myself.

ALICE JONES

I'm sorry, but I'm going to tell the police. I do not have a choice.

Arthur then turns to face her.

ALICE JONES

Don't think about trying to stop me cause I'll kick your ass.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Alice, please believe that I would never harm you. You said that you liked me, then please grant me one last request.

ALICE JONES

And what do you want?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Wait till tomorrow to tell the police. Let me spend my last hours as a free man with my family.

ALICE JONES

You are going to flee town.

ARTHUR HUDSON

You'll have to take my word that I won't.

Alice seems hesitant but nods.

ALICE JONES

Boss, I really wish I never asked for this story.

ARTHUR HUDSON

So you'll give me this last night?

ALICE JONES

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to the police. Sorry.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Don't apologize, I would have done the same thing if I where you.

Alice leaves Arthur alone and he looks at the knife. He leans back in his chair and closes his eyes. Then he mutters something to himself.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I knew it would eventually catch up to me, but I can't change what happened.

Arthur gets up, puts on his coat and picks up the knife and looks at it. He puts the knife in the inside pocket of his coat, turns off the lights and closes the door after he passes through it.

It is the end of the day. Vanessa waits at the doors of the bank and seems impatient, it is still raining. Then Arthur's van parks in front of the bank and she runs to it. She gets in. Then the van drives off.

INT. VAN SECONDS LATER

Vanessa looks at Arthur as he drives. She is partially drenched and she runs her hands through her hair.

VANESSA HUDSON

You where late, you are never late Arthur. I'm glad it is almost the end of the week, I just want to relax in our home.

Arthur does not look at her as he speaks.

ARTHUR HUDSON

If you don't mind, I would like to show you something.

VANESSA HUDSON

What is it?

ARTHUR HUDSON

I want to show you the place where I grew up so I can tell you something I should have told you long ago.

Vanessa seems surprised.

VANESSA HUDSON

Your family farm. Arthur, you have never asked me to go there with you. You told me that you never wanted me to see it.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Vanessa, no matter what happens, know that I really do love you.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, you are scaring me a little, what is going on?

Arthur seems sad.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'll explain when we get there.

It is nearly dusk. A cold rain drizzles down on the farm as lighting flashes bath the land momentarily with surreal light. Then Arthur's van drives down the driveway and parks in front of the cabin.

INT. VAN SECONDS LATER

Arthur and Vanessa sit in the parked van as they both looked at the cabin. Arthur takes off his coat and throws it into the back of the van, knife still inside. Vanessa then looks at him.

VANESSA HUDSON

So this is where you grew up?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Yes, this is where it started. Vanessa, I am going to tell you everything, promise that you won't speak until I'm finished.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, you are starting to scare me.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'll tell you how it began.

Then the scene begins to dissolve as the flashback narrated by Arthur begins.

flashback

The cabin, many years ago, Arthur's mother Lilly sits in a chair on the porch and watches the infantile Arthur crawls about on the grass in the front yard. She smiles at him.

Arthur's narration

The first thing I remember was my mother. She was always there, and from the beginning I loved her dearly.

Lilly is now sitting on the grass with the juvenile Arthur and picks up a dandelion and blows the petals towards the young Arthur.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

My next memories where off my father, Roger Hudson. And from the beginning I both feared and hated him.

Now we see the young Arthur, a bit older, cowering in the corner of the cabin's kitchen. We can see Roger's and Lilly's shadows on the wall which shows him beat her savagely. Arthur is crying.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

He beat my mother, almost every day. But she loved him for some reason and stayed, and in the beginning he just beat her. But that did not last long.

Now we see the young Arthur, around the age of eight, playing in the living room of the cabin. Roger sits on a couch as he watches television. Arthur accidentally knocks over the beer on the table beside Roger, and he looks at his son, enraged.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

When ever I upset him, he took me to that shed. Behind our home. It was there when that thing inside me began to grow.

Now we see the young Arthur in the shed. He is laying upon the ground covered with bruises and cuts and Roger stands over him with the leather strap. Roger yells at him but there is no sound as spittle flies out from his mouth.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

I can't remember how many times I suffered in that shed. But as the time when on. Something began to change in me, it was like a feeling of hate, fury, anger; some great urge to inflict the pain I had been made to suffer.

Now we see the young Arthur standing outside the cabin during the day and looking at his mother sitting on the chair atop the porch.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

But the love I had for my mother, she kept all those dark, insidious things at work in my heart from coming to the surface.

Now we see young Arthur laying on the floor of the shed, covered with scars. His father whips him with the strap as he curses.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

That continued. He would beat me and my mother, mostly me as the years went on. And the hate and anger inside grew. Only my mother kept it at bay. But then it happened, something which changed me forever.

Again we see Arthur on the floor of the shed, in his early teens, as his father beats him savagely. Suddenly his mother comes in and tries to stop Roger. Roger seems enraged and puts his hands on Lilly's throat and chokes her to death and Arthur watches.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

He killed her right in front of me. I did not do anything to stop it.

Roger then let's go and Lilly's lifeless body falls to the ground. Arthur gets to his feet and looks at the workbench. His father's hunting knife is on it. Arthur looks at his mothers body then picks up the knife.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

Suddenly, I felt a powerful rage I could not control. I picked up my father's knife and killed him. When the police came and found me in that shed, I was holding my mother's lifeless body.

Now we see the young Arthur sitting in a chair in the Dover police station. He has a blanket wrapped around him.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

The officer who handled the case took mercy on me. I was never charged and any record of what I had done where sealed. No one knew, not even the uncle they sent me to live with.

INT. VAN LATER

Arthur stops talking momentarily, Vanessa looks at him then holds her husband.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, you could have told me, I would have understood.

Arthur pushes her away.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'm not finished. Vanessa, I afraid in a few minutes, you'll wish we never would have met.

The scene dissolves as the flashback continues.

flashback

We see the young Arthur, now in his mid teens, standing underneath the bleachers at his high school. He is alone and seems troubled and angry.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

After my mother was gone, well, all the hatred and anger in my was starting to come to the surface. I could not live with what I was becoming.

We now see Arthur sitting in a swing in the park near the center of Dover. It is night and he holds a gun in his hand and swings back and forth slightly.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

I was about to kill myself, that seemed easier then going on. I would have to, but then, I saw you.

Arthur then hears some sounds from a field across from him. He see's two teenage men, Ned Colson and Frank Denings, throwing the young Vanessa to the ground and begin to beat her. Arthur drops the gun and rushes to hear.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

All I could think about was my mother, and you know how I stopped them.

The young Arthur beats the two men severely and they run away. Arthur looks down at Vanessa and picks her up and carries her off. Now we see Vanessa unconscious in a hospital bed, Arthur sits at her side and looks at her.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

I fell in love with you that night, but I never would have believed you could have loved me in return.

Now Arthur and Vanessa sit in a movie theater, she laughs and puts her hand on Arthur's hand. She laughs and looks at the screen, he just looks at her.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

But you did fall in love with me, and that thing at work in me, that dark, insidious thing, it was kept at bay again. And I vowed I would never let anything happen to you, that I would never stand by as the person who I loved was hurt.

Now we see Arthur's and Vanessa's wedding day. She is in a room of the Dover church in a wedding dress. Arthur then enters and looks at him, upon seeing him she smiles.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

I wanted to tell you the things I was capable of, that you where the only thing which kept me from doing those things. But I did not, I wish I had.

Now we see the married Arthur standing in a checkout lane in the Dover grocery. He is holding some items when he realizes the man in the line before him is Ned Colson. Ned turns and see's Arthur, talks though what he says can not be heard.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

A year after we where married, I ran into Ned Colson. Once he saw me, he called you things, nasty things which made me remember how they hurt you. I could not control what happened next.

Now we see Ned Colson exit a bar on the edge of Dover late at night. He is alone when Arthur emerges from the night and knocks out Ned with a wooden board. Arthur then drags the limp body and puts it into his car.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

I found Ned, and I brought him to the place where I suffered and where I lost something I loved.

Now we see Ned tied to a chair in the shed. Arthur is standing before him with a knife. Arthur hesitates for a moment then plunges it into Ned's chest.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

I killed him because he hurt someone who I loved, I could not stop myself.

Then we see the faces of Fred Denings, Andy Stone, Walsh from the bank, Jeremy Good and Coach Pane.

ARTHUR'S NARRATION

Ever since, anyone you hurt or ever came to close to hurting you or the kids, I would take them to that shed and I would kill them. I just could not let another person who I get hurt.

The flashback ends with Arthur, now his current age, sitting at the kitchen table in his home, having dinner with his family. The scene dissolves.

INT. VAN LATER

Arthur finishes speaking and looks at Vanessa. She seems both scared and disgusted, she shakes her head.

VANESSA HUDSON

Please say this is a sick joke.

Arthur seems unable to face her now.

ARTHUR HUDSON

It is the truth. I can't tell you how sorry I am, but, I could help it.

VANESSA HUDSON

How many people have you killed?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Six, six people since we got married.

VANESSA HUDSON

You killed my boss, Mr. Walsh.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Yes, after you told me what happened, I killed him.

Arthur then slowly turns to face his wife.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Vanessa, please believe, I really do love you.

Vanessa then slaps him and seems angry.

VANESSA HUDSON

We spend all this time making a life together, and you do this. I have to find out my husband is some sick freak who has been killing people.

Arthur looks at her when a single tear runs down his cheek.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I guess apologizing won't help, but I am sorry.

Vanessa raises her voice.

VANESSA HUDSON

Get out of this van. From this moment on, I could care less what you do! But if you ever come near me or the children again, so help me I'll kill you!

ARTHUR HUDSON

I understand, you and the kids will never see me again. Please, tell them that I love them no matter what happens.

VANESSA HUDSON

Get out now!

Arthur looks at his wife, he seems like he is in grief.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Just do one last thing, and we'll never have to speak again.

VANESSA HUDSON

What do you want?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Give me your cellphone.

Vanessa takes out her cellphone and gives it to Arthur and he gets out of the van. As he leaves, Vanessa speaks.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur Hudson, I wish I never met you.

EXT. THE HUDSON FARM seconds LATER

Arthur emerges from the van as Vanessa climbs into the drivers seat and speeds away. Arthur watches her leave then dials and number into the phone. He waits moment then speaks into it.

ARTHUR HUDSON

My name is Arthur Hudson, I'm the head editor for the Dover News. I would like to speak with Chief Holland, can you patch me through to him.

Arthur waits and moment then speaks again.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Chief Holland, we have met a couple of times. I want to confess to six murders.

Arthur listens briefly.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I'm serious. You find me at my families farm to the south of the county. I will not resist and will turn myself in.

Arthur then drops the phone and sits upon the ground as rain falls upon him. The flash of lighting covers everything with periodic bursts of light. Arthur seems upset and rocks back and fourth.

Now it is nearly night. Arthur his still sitting on the damp ground in the rain as several police cars arrive on the scene, there lights flashing. Several officers get out and pull Arthur up onto his feet and put handcuffs on him. Arthur does not resist as they put him into the back of a car.

ext. The Dover Police station night

The Dover police station, a single story building on the outskirts of Dover. It is night and rain still falls from the sky.

int. holding cells of the dover police station seconds later

A series of small jail cells in the back of the police station. They are all empty but for the cell at the farthest end of the room, Arthur is inside and sits on a small cot. He looks at the ground and still seems gripped with utter grief. Then Arthur hears a tapping sound and see's Chief Holland standing beyond the bars to his cell.

CHIEF HOLLAND

I must admit, you are held in high regard in these parts Hudson. But soon everyone will know what you did. Are you still sure you don't want a lawyer?

ARTHUR HUDSON

No, I should be locked up.

CHIEF HOLLAND

Well, the provincial police are coming on Monday to take you away. You will be charged with six counts for first degree murder.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I know. Listen, can you just leave me alone. I do not want to see anyone.

CHIEF HOLLAND

Sure. Anyways, sorry that it was you Hudson. Never would have suspected.

Then Chief Holland leaves. Arthur lays down on the cot and closes his eyes. Outside his barred window, lighting bathes the inside of his cell with light.

The lights are off the the bedroom though moonlight casts a soft glow across the room. Vanessa is lying in the bed, still, in her clothes and she is crying as tears form in her eyes. She rolls over and see's a picture of her and Arthur on the nightstand beside the bed. She looks at the picture then mutters something.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, oh Arthur. How could you.

She then reaches over and turns the picture down since she is unable to look at it. She then begins to cry harder.

int. Hallway outside the Hudson Bedroom seconds later

Ben and Conny are standing outside the door to the master bedroom as their mother's sobbing comes from beyond the door. They both seemed worried and Conny turns to Ben.

CONNY HUDSON

Mom has been crying since she got home.

BEN HUDSON

Where is Dad?

CONNY HUDSON

Maybe they are getting divorced.

Ben shakes his head and seems offended at the suggestion of divorce.

BEN HUDSON

Mom and Dad would never get divorced!

CONNY HUDSON

Well something has happened.

Then the sobbing from the other side of the door stops and there is a moment of silence. Then the door opens and Vanessa stands there looking at her children. She wipes the tears away with the sleeve of her shirt.

BEN HUDSON

Mom, what is going on?

Vanessa puts her hand on Ben's shoulder and looks at him then looks towards Conny.

VANESSA HUDSON

Kids, come into the bedroom.

INT. BEDROOM OF THE HUDSON HOME moments LATER

Vanessa enters the bedroom and is followed by her children. Vanessa sits on the edge of the bed and her children look at her, both seemed worried.

BEN HUDSON

Where is Dad?

VANESSA HUDSON

Come here Ben.

Vanessa holds out her arms and then she and Ben hug while Conny watches.

VANESSA HUDSON

Ben, your father is going away.

BEN HUDSON

What. Why?

Conny folds her arms across her chest and sighs.

CONNY HUDSON

Is Arthur having an affair?

VANESSA HUDSON

No, your father is going to prison for a long time.

Ben pulls away from his mother, both he and Conny seemed shocked and dumbfounded by the news.

BEN HUDSON

No, Dad would not break the law.

Conny smirks and seems skeptical.

CONNY HUDSON

What did he do, kill someone?

Vanessa looks very seriously into Conny's eyes. Vanessa then nods and begins to sob slightly. Conny then seems surprised.

CONNY HUDSON

Oh my God, Arthur killed somebody.

VANESSA HUDSON

Your father, well, he has done some very bad things. That is why we are never going to see or speak with him again.

Ben's eyes begin to tear up.

BEN HUDSON

No, you are lying.

Vanessa puts her arms around Ben and holds him as he begins to cry.

VANESSA HUDSON

Ben, your father lied to us, he was not the man we thought he was. He has done some things which he hid from me and you.

CONNY HUDSON

Wait, some things. Are you saying he killed more then one person.

Vanessa nods.

VANESSA HUDSON

Your father confessed to me. He has killed several men.

Ben pulls away from his mother and seems defiant.

BEN HUDSON

Dad is not like that!

Ben then runs from the room. Conny looks at her mother, an emotionless expression on Conny's face.

CONNY HUDSON

Arthur is a serial killer?

Vanessa nods.

VANESSA HUDSON

You don't have to go to school tomorrow. Now, please, go check on your brother.

Conny leaves the room and Vanessa falls back into the bed and begins to cry again.

Later that night. The factory is darkened and stands against a foreboding sky as sporadic flashes of lighting illuminate the land with surreal light. The Railway Ripper's moans bellow out from the factory.

The factory's interior is still. A bonfire is blazing in a drum in the center of the room, the wavering orange light of the flames dances on the walls. The Railway Ripper stands near the barrel and seems in a frenzy. He looks at the flames with his teeth clenched and sweat on his face. He begins to mutter.

RAILWAY RIPPER

I want her, and I kill anybody in my way. She's mine.

Then the Railway Ripper looks around the room and seems as he listening to someone talking. He then nods.

RAILWAY RIPPER

Yes, I saw her van, I just have to find it.

Then the Railway Ripper begins to laugh manically and his laughing reverberates throughout the interior of the factory.

INT. HOLDING CELLS OF THE DOVER POLICE STATION LATER

Arthur lays upon the small cot in his jail cell. Occasionally lighting comes in through the barred window, he seems oblivious and looks at the ceiling; and blank expression on his face. He then reaches into his pant pocket and pulls out a folded picture. He unfolds it and a family picture of the Hudson's in revealed. He looks at the picture and seems melancholy. He then drops the picture on the floor and closes his eyes, a flash of lighting then fills the room.

EXT. DOVER MORNING

A panoramic view of Dover passing underneath. It is a bright, sunny morning and the town seems quite as the streets are almost empty this morning. Then we see the Railway Ripper walking down a town sidewalk, a long object wrapped in brown paper in one hand, and he seems to be looking for something. He passes by some people but they take no notice of him.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE HUDSON HOME seconds LATER

The Hudson home sits against a cloudless sky.

Vanessa, Ben and Conny sit at the kitchen table in silence. No one is eating the meal before them and Vanessa and Ben seemed upset still. Then a honk of a vehicle's horn comes from outside. Conney gets up.

CONNY HUDSON

That's Kenny, I'll be home later.

Vanessa, with sorrowful eyes, looks at her daughter.

VANESSA HUDSON

I said you did not have to go to school.

CONNY HUDSON

Me and Kenny are going to the arcade.

VANESSA HUDSON

I thought we should spend the day together.

Conny walks to the kitchen door then looks back at her mother.

CONNY HUDSON

I need to be with friends today, I'm sorry, but this business with Arthur is a little much to take.

Conney then leaves through the door leaving Vanessa and Ben alone. Vanessa looks at her son and weakly smiles.

VANESSA HUDSON

Are you OK Ben?

Ben looks away from his mother's stair.

BEN HUDSON

I want my father.

Vanessa then reaches across the table and lays her hand down atop Ben's hand.

VANESSA HUDSON

Ben, your father did some things which he has to be punished for. I hope you understand that. He has hurt people.

Ben looks at his mother and seems a little angry.

BEN HUDSON

Some people deserve to be hurt mom.

Vanessa seems shocked by his words.

VANESSA HUDSON

What are you saying?

BEN HUDSON

Coach Pane, he tried to touch me in a way that is wrong.

Vanessa looks right at her son.

VANESSA HUDSON

Why did you not tell me?

BEN HUDSON

I told Dad. Dad made sure Coach Pane would never do it again.

Ben then gets up and runs from the room but loudly says something before leaving.

BEN HUDSON

Dad is trust trying to protect us!

Once Vanessa is alone she sighs deeply then gets up and begins clearing the table.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE DOVER NEWS NOON

The Dover News is across the street. Two police cars are parked outside and people are walking past the building.

INT. INSIDE THE DOVER NEWS SECONDS LATER

In the main offices of the Dover News, the small staff stand at their desks and watch as Chief Holland and Deputy Vance search Arthur's office. Among the staff is Alice Jones. A member of the staff, portly Anthony Peterson, walks over to Alice and speaks with her.

Anthony Peterson

Alice, can you believe this. This is the biggest story that the Dover News has ever covered. Our own boss, a killer. Alice, you might become famous once this gets out. After all, this is your story.

Alice seems sad.

ALICE JONES

Wish I could be more happy about this, but I liked Mr. Hudson.

Anthony PETERSON

I never would have suspected, he was so normal.

Alice then begins to walk out of the room.

ALICE JONES

I need some air.

Chief Holland and Deputy Vance are going through Arthur's desk and files. Then Deputy Vance stops and looks at the chief.

deputy Vance

Well, nothing out of the ordinary here.

Chief Holland also stops searching and looks around the room. There are many pictures of his wife and children on the desk and walls.

CHIEF HOLLAND

Mr. Hudson does not seem like some unfeeling monster to me.

DEPUTY VANCE

What do you mean?

CHIEF HOLLAND

He seems to have pictures of his family everywhere. He don't get why he would do something like this.

DEPUTY VANCE

That's how it always is. The neighbors always say he was the nicest guy in the world until they find thirty bodies in his basement.

CHIEF HOLLAND

I wondered why he did it?

DEPUTY VANCE

Because he is a psycho.

CHIEF HOLLAND

He does not seem like one to me. Anyways, there is nothing here.

DEPUTY VANCE

Maybe we should search his house.

CHIEF HOLLAND

No, the provincial authorities will do that next week. I want to let his poor family have some peace before this whole mess is plastered all over the national media. Let's go.

DEPUTY VANCE

Sure thing Chief.

Then the two officers leave the room.

ext. outside the Arcade noon

Kenny's motorbike is parked outside the Arcade as Kenny and Conny lean against it and pass a joint between them as they smoke from it. Kenny then laughs after inhaling.

KENNY BANNER

I can't believe this, Arthur is a killer. He seemed like such a white collar wussy to me.

Conny nudges Kenny hardly and seems somewhat angry.

CONNY HUDSON

It is not funny. He is going away for a long time.

KENNY BANNER

I thought you hated him. All you ever do is put him down.

CONNY HUDSON

But I did not want Arthur in prison. Soon everybody in town is going to know, people in Dover love gossip.

KENNY BANNER

Well, I love you still Conny, even if your father is a killer. Besides, now we can get married and he can not stop us.

Conny then begins to walk away. Kenny calls out to her.

KENNY BANNER

Where are you going baby?

Conny looks back, says something, then continues to walk away.

CONNY HUDSON

Kenny, you can be such a asshole sometimes.

Later in the day, as a blue sky looms beyond the barred window of Arthur's cell. He sits on the edge of his cot and looks at the picture of his family on the floor. He then looks at the window and gets up. He slowly walks to the window, puts his hands on the bars and grips them and then deeply sighs.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE HUDSON HOME dusk

The Hudson home in the back round, a sun setting behind the house. The families Van is still in the driveway when Alice's car comes into the scene and parks in front of the house. Alice gets out and walks towards the front door.

INT. KITCHEN OF THE HUDSON HOME moments LATER

Vanessa sits at the kitchen table, a cup of steaming coffee on the table before her.

Conny lies on her bed, music blasting from the headphones she is wearing.

INT. Ben's room seconds later

Ben is sitting on his bed. His room as several trophies of his on display and there are pictures of his family on the wall. Ben seems upset and just looks out his window.

INT. KITCHEN OF HOUSE SECONDS LATER

Vanessa hears knocking coming from the front door. She gets up and walks through the house.

int. downstairs hallway seconds later

Vanessa walks down the hallway and stops and the front door. She opens it and see's Alice waiting on the other side. Vanessa looks at her, Vanessa's eyes seem both sorrowful and weary.

VANESSA HUDSON

Want do you want?

ALICE JONES

I want to talk about your husband.

Vanessa frowns at the mention of Arthur.

VANESSA HUDSON

If this is about a story your writing for the paper, I have nothing to tell you.

ALICE JONES

May I please come in?

Vanessa looks at Alice for a second then stands aside and Alice walks into the house.

EXT. THE OUTSKIRTS OF DOVER moments LATER

The Railway Ripper is walking down the street, expensive homes on either side of him. He is still holding the object wrapped in paper. At the end of the street is the Hudson home.

Vanessa and Alice sit at the kitchen table drinking coffee. Vanessa seems unable to look at her.

VANESSA HUDSON

So why did you want to see me anyway Miss Jones?

ALICE JONES

I wanted to tell you that I'm sorry.

VANESSA HUDSON

Sorry for what?

ALICE JONES

I was the one who revealed Arthur's crimes. He turned himself into the police because of what I did.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur needs to be in jail.

ALICE JONES

Mr. Hudson, at least I think, is not a bad person. I think he really does love you and his children.

VANESSA HUDSON

If he loved us, he would not have done what he did.

ALICE JONES

What are you going to do Mrs. Hudson?

VANESSA HUDSON

Move away, take the children far away. People in Dover will never forget what he did. Soon everyone will know.

ALICE JONES

And Arthur, what about him?

VANESSA HUDSON

What do you mean?

ALICE JONES

Are you going to speak with him.

Vanessa looks at Alice and frowns.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur can burn in hell for all I care!

EXT. OUTSIDE THE HUDSON HOME MOMENTS LATER

The Hudson home now sits in front of a clear night sky, stars blazing in the heavens. The the Railway Ripper walks into frame and stands in front of the house. Once he see's the van in the driveway, he begins to cackle. He then unwraps the object he is holding, revealing his ax. He then looks at the house and begins to walk towards the front door.

Vanessa and Alice still sit at the table.

VANESSA HUDSON

I never want to see him again.

ALICE JONES

I don't think he is evil, I th-

Before Alice finishes speak there is a thunderous crash and the noise of splintering wood.

INT. DOWNSTAIRS HALLWAY SECONDS LATER

The Railway Ripper is standing at the front door of the Hudson which he has kicked open, axe in his hands. He begins to walk down the hallway.

Vanessa and Alice get up from the kitchen table as they listen to the approaching heavy footsteps coming from down the hallway. Alice then walks to the doorway to the adjoining hallway when the Railway Ripper appears suddenly before he and plunges his ax into Alice's stomach. Vanessa screams as Alice falls to the ground gravely wounded. The Railway Ripper pulls his ax from Alice and looks at Vanessa. He then grins.

RAILWAY RIPPER

I have waited for you for so long. Now we can be together.

The Railway Ripper then rushes towards Vanessa.

Conny is startled when her mother's scream bellows out from downstairs. Conny takes her headphones off and rushes out of her room.

int. upstairs hallway of the Hudson home seconds later

Conny and Ben both emerge from their rooms and look at each other. Then they hear their mother yell again. They both run towards the stairs.

Ben and Conney run into the kitchen, and find the Railway Ripper holding their mother by the arm, ax in his other hand, when he then turns around and looks at them. Alice, still live, lays upon the floor and watches as would pours from her wound. Ben rushes towards his mother when the Railway Ripper then holds the blade of the ax to Vanessa's neck.

RAILWAY RIPPER

Come any closer and I'll kill her.

Vanessa stops struggling and begins to mutter.

VANESSA HUDSON

I'll do anything you want, but please, do not hurt my kids.

The Railway Ripper looks at Conny and Ben then smiles and briefly laughs.

RAILWAY RIPPER

OK, you and your kids are coming with me.

VANESSA HUDSON

Where?

RAILWAY RIPPER

You'll find out when we get there. Now, let's go. And your kids better know that if they try anything, I'll kill you all slow.

Then the Railway Ripper leads Vanessa out of the room as her kids fallow.

EXT. OUTSIDE THE HUDSON HOME moments LATER

The Railway Ripper emerges from the front door, Vanessa still in his clutches, and leads her to the van in the driveway, her kids following close behind. The Railway Ripper then let's Vanessa go then grabs Conny, holding the ax to her neck. The Railway Ripper then looks at Vanessa.

RAILWAY RIPPER

Get in a drive bitch!

VANESSA HUDSON

I won't struggle, but please, just let my children go.

RAILWAY RIPPER

They are my children now. Now get in!

They all get into the van, Ben and Vanessa in the front, The Railway Ripper in the back still holding Conney. Vanessa starts the van and they drive away.

Alice crawls across the floor, leaving a trail of blood as she struggles to reach a phone on the kitchen counter nearby. She struggles to reach but finally does, she dials a number and weakly speaks into the phone.

ALICE JONES

Please, I need help.

Then Alice passes out and drops the phone.

EXT. DOVER LATER

Later as the town passes underneath. It is later in the night and the streets seem empty. Finally we pass over the Dover Police station.

int. office's of The Dover Police Station seconds later

A large room full of desks and offices. The dozen or so members of the Dover Police seem to be in a hurry as they begin to put on their coats, holster their weapons and approach the front doors of the police station. Deputy Vance is among the group and Chief Holland stands in front of the doors. The police stop and listen to the chief.

CHIEF HOLLAND

OK, the Hudson family was abducted about an hour ago. The suspect is driving their van, I want everyone to set up a road block at every road out of town. Now let's go.

The police begin to leave when Chief Holland stops Deputy Vance.

CHIEF HOLLAND

Vance, I want you to stay here.

DEPUTY VANCE

Why Chief?

CHIEF HOLLAND

Someone has to be here if someone calls. The entire force is going to be setting up roadblocks, so someone has to stay behind.

Deputy Vance seems upset but nods.

DEPUTY VANCE

Sure thing Chief.

Chief Holland turns to leave but says something before departing.

CHIEF HOLLAND

Tell Mr. Hudson about his family. He has a right to know.

Then the chief leaves and Deputy Vance is alone.

INT. HOLDING CELLS OF THE DOVER POLICE STATION seconds LATER

Arthur sits on the edge of the cot and seems forlorn, and gazes out his window. He does not notice when Deputy Vance appears at the other side of the bars to his cell.

DEPUTY VANCE

Mr. Hudson.

Arthur looks at him but says nothing.

DEPUTY VANCE

Something has happened to your family.

Upon hearing this, Arthur gets up and goes to the bars of his cell.

ARTHUR HUDSON

What are you talking about?

DEPUTY VANCE

We got a call from your home. It was from a woman, named Alice Jones, and she informed us before she passed out that someone abducted your family.

Arthur seems deeply concerned.

ARTHUR HUDSON

By who?

DEPUTY VANCE

Well, Miss Jones was in pretty bad shape, she now is at the county hospital in critical condition. But from what she said, we think it was the Railway Ripper.

Arthur then grips the bars of his cell and frowns, his knuckles turn white since his grip is so tight.

ARTHUR HUDSON

You have to let me out of here. My family needs me.

DEPUTY VANCE

Sorry, but we will handle this.

Deputy then begins to leave the room.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I have to help them!

Then Arthur is alone and he yells.

ARTHUR HUDSON

God damn it!

It is still night and the stars are bright. The Hudson van appears at the end of street near the factory and drives towards it. It parks in front of the factory; but the occupants are unaware that Kenny is following on his motorcycle. Kenny stops his bike near the factory and watches as the Railway Ripper forces the Hudson family from the vehicle leads them into the factory.

Kenny Banner

Oh shit, this is not good.

Kenny then starts his bike and speeds away in the opposite direction.

Arthur is in his cell, hit the bars with a metallic cup which has been supplied for drinking. Deputy Vance runs into the room and looks at Arthur.

DEPUTY VANCE

Would you please quiet down.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Please, I have to save my family. Let me go.

DEPUTY VANCE

Sorry, but we will handle this, Chief Holland will make sure they don't leave the county.

Arthur then frowns and looks at Deputy Vance.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Then please, can you give me a cigarette. I really need one.

Deputy Vance seems unsure.

DEPUTY VANCE

I only got one left, and I need it.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I may never be free again, my family has been abducted by a madman. The least you can do is give me a cigarette.

Deputy Vance hesitates for a moment then pulls a cigarette out from his shirt pocket and approaches Arthur behind the bars of the cell.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Sorry about this.

Once Deputy Vance is close enough, Arthur grabs the collar of the Deputies uniform and pulls his head right into the bars of the jail cell. There is a loud clang and the Deputy falls to the ground unconscious. Arthur then gets the keys tied to the Deputies belt and unlocks his cell.

EXT. outside dover Police Station moments later

The Dover Police Building is quiet when Kenny's motorcycle comes into frame and parks in front of the building. Kenny gets off the motorcycle and walks towards the police station. He seems frightened when Arthur emerges from the front doors. Kenny falls to his knees.

KENNY BANNER

Please Mr. Hudson, don't kill me.

Arthur stops and looks down at Kenny.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Kenny, I don't have time for this. Someone has my family.

KENNY BANNER

Yeah, that is why I came to get the police. I saw your van driving through town so I fallowed since I wanted to speak with Conny.

Arthur then grabs Kenny and lifts him up onto his feet.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Do you know where they are?

Kenny nods.

KENNY BANNER

They all got out at the old factory outside of town. These really scary looking guy was with them, he had an ax.

ARTHUR HUDSON

OK Kenny. I am going to ask you to do something, if you agree then you have my blessing to marry my daughter.

KENNY BANNER

What do you want?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Go inside the police station. A deputy is unconscious in the back, when he comes to I want you to tell him where my family is. Get help.

KENNY BANNER

And then I can marry Conny?

ARTHUR HUDSON

Yes. Also, I'm going to borrow your motorcycle.

Arthur then walks to the bike and gets on. Kenny watches him speed away and yells.

KENNY BANNER

I knew you weren't a psycho Mr. Hudson!

INT. FACTORY LATER

It is dark inside the factory accept for the orange light of the fire in the barrel in the center of the room. Vanessa and her children on sitting upon the ground, tied up with some rope. The Railway Ripper is walking about the room, the ax in one hand and a red canister of gasoline in the other. He is dousing the interior of the factory with gas as he laughs loudly. Vanessa looks at him.

VANESSA HUDSON

Please, what are you going to do to us?

The Railway Ripper stops and looks at her.

RAILWAY RIPPER

I wanted you so much, to hold you; but they want you more. They told me to give you and your children to the flames.

VANESSA HUDSON

Who are you talking about?

RAILWAY RIPPER

The people who whisper to me from the shadows. I have to do what they say.

Conny and Ben seemed scared.

CONNY HUDSON

Please let us go!

The Railway Ripper returns to dousing the room with gasoline.

RAILWAY RIPPER

Sorry, but you all have to die.

EXT. FACTORY OUTSIDE TOWN SECONDS LATER

The factory against a star filled sky. The van is still parked outside and the night is silent until the sound of a motorcycles engine can be heard from out of view. Then Arthur, atop the motorcycle, drives into frame and parks in front of the factory. He gets off and looks at the derelict factory. He then goes to the van and opens the back door. He searches inside until he finds a the hunting knife. He holds it in one hand and looks at the factory.

int. factory seconds later

Vanessa and her children, still tied up, watch as the Railway Ripper throws away the canister of gasoline after pouring a trail of gas up to the fire in the barrel. He then looks at the family and grins.

RAILWAY RIPPER

I wish I could have you, but they want you more. Don't worry, you'll be dead soon enough.

Then the Railway Ripper walks to Vanessa and looks down at her.

RAILWAY RIPPER

But you are beautiful. A shame.

Vanessa looks up at him and then smiles.

VANESSA HUDSON

My husband is going to make you regret this.

The Railway Ripper raises his ax into the air and seems triumphant.

RAILWAY RIPPER

You know who I am? Do you know how many people I've killed?

VANESSA HUDSON

My husband, Arthur, is as bad as you. You'll regret this you scum bag.

The Railway Ripper then puts his hand on Vanessa's face.

RAILWAY RIPPER

Don't try to bluff me bitch.

Then from off camera, we hear Arthur yell.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Get your hands off her!

The Railway Ripper turns and see's Arthur, knife in one hand, standing in the doorway to the factory. Vanessa see's him and shouts.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur!

Arthur then slowly approaches his tied up family and the Railway Ripper.

ARTHUR HUDSON

If you let my family go know, then I'll let you live.

RAILWAY RIPPER

You think you scare me, do you know who I am!

ARTHUR HUDSON

I know who you are because we are the same. Let them go and I'll let you live.

RAILWAY RIPPER

Do you know how many people I've killed?

ARTHUR HUDSON

No, but I promise you, you won't hurt anyone again.

The Railway Ripper then knocks the barrel over and the flames smoldering inside ignite the gasoline and soon the entire factory is engulfed in flames. Conney and Ben look at their father.

CONNY HUDSON

Dad, help us!

The Railway Ripper stands between Arthur and his family.

RAILWAY RIPPER

I'm going to enjoy killing you.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I usually don't enjoy killing, but in your case I think I'll will.

Then the Railway Ripper charges Arthur and runs right into him. They both drop their weapons and roll about the ground as they fight. Arthur then gets on top of the Railway Ripper and starts raining powerful blows down upon him. Around them the factory continues to burn. Vanessa and her children struggle and the rope around them begins to loosen up.

VANESSA HUDSON

Come on, the rope is coming loose.

The Railway Ripper then uses his leg to kick Arthur of him and Arthur is thrown through the air and lands on his back. The Railway Ripper then gets up, picks up his ax and stands over Arthur. The Railway Ripper then raises the ax as Ben watches.

BEN HUDSON

Dad!

But when the Railway Ripper swings the ax down, Arthur rolls to one side and the ax hits the concrete ground. Arthur then kicks the Railway Ripper in the shin with much force and the Railway Ripper bellows with pain. Arthur then is able to grab the hunting knife and gets up to his feet and faces the Railway Ripper. They circle each other as the factory burns around them. Vanessa and the kids continue to loosen the rope by struggling.

VANESSA HUDSON

Come on, we are almost free.

The Railway Ripper swings the ax at Arthur but he jumps back and the ax misses. Then the Railway Ripper swings again but Arthur dodges again.

RAILWAY RIPPER

Just die you fucker.

Then the part of the ceiling, engulfed in flames, comes tumbling down and falls on the Railway Ripper. He falls to the ground, covered by a pile of burning debris, and the ax drops from his hand. Arthur then walks to his family and begins to untie them. They all look at Arthur.

ARTHUR HUDSON

You'll all be home soon enough.

BEN HUDSON

I knew you would come for us Dad.

CONNY HUDSON

Yeah, I don't care what you did, your still my father.

As Arthur unties his family, he does not notice as the Railway Ripper crawls out from the burning debris and gets to his feet, now covered with serious burns. He charges at Arthur and grabs him, picks Arthur up into the air, and slams him down onto the floor. Arthur looks up and the Railway Ripper who is now cackling.

RAILWAY RIPPER

You think you can kill me! I can't die!

Arthur tries to get up but the Railway Ripper knocks him back to the ground with his foot and Arthur crawls away from him. The ax is on the ground near the Railway Ripper and he picks it up. Behind him, Vanessa has almost gotten the rope loose enough to escape. The Railway Ripper stands over Arthur then swings down the ax onto one of Arthur's hands and severs several of his fingers. Arthur let's out a grunt in pain, and looks up at the Railway Ripper.

RAILWAY RIPPER

I am going to kill you, you fuck!

Vanessa then gets the ropes loose enough to escape, she see's that the hunting knife is nearby and she picks it up and gets to her feet. She then walks up behind the Railway Ripper.

RAILWAY RIPPER

You think you are so bad, but you are weak, weak like everyone I killed.

VANESSA HUDSON

Hey, you!

The Railway Ripper turns around and Vanessa plunges the hunting knife into his stomach. He stumbles backwards, the knife still in him. Then Arthur gets up and puts an arm around the Railway Rippers neck and squeezes. After several moments there is a sickening snapping noise and Arthur drop's the Railway Ripper's lifeless body to the ground. Then Vanessa and the children run out from the factory as it burns to the ground, they are followed by Arthur. The Railway Ripper's body then is covered when the factory collapses.

EXT. FACTORY OUTSIDE TOWN moments LATER

Arthur and his family stand outside the ruins of the factory as it burns to the ground. Vanessa then tears a strip of clothing from her blouse and bandages Arthur's hand. The sound of police sirens echo in the distance as they approach. Vanessa steps away from Arthur and he looks at his family.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Well, the police are going to be here soon. I'm turning myself in.

Ben seems to become teary eyed as he looks up at his father.

BEN HUDSON

No Dad, you aren't a bad person.

Arthur kneels down and looks at his son.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Ben, I know I pushed you to hard sometimes to succeed. I only did that because I wanted you to be a better man then your father was. Don't be anything like me, be someone who I could have never been. A good person.

Ben hugs his father briefly then lets go. Arthur stands and looks at Conney.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Conney, I don't care how you dress. I will love you no matter who you are, promise me that you always be true to yourself no matter who that is. And if you want to marry Kenny, as long as he makes you happy I approve.

Conney's eyes tear up and she hugs Arthur.

CONNY HUDSON

I'm going to miss you Dad.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Thanks for calling me dad, it means a lot to me.

Arthur then pulls away from Conney and looks at Vanessa. They stare silently at each other as police cars come onto the scene.

ARTHUR HUDSON

Vanessa, I lied to you for so long. I never wanted to hurt you and I promise you'll never have to see me again. Divorce me and find someone who will be the husband I couldn't. Please, take could care of our kids.

Then a multitude of police emerge from their cars, grab Arthur and place handcuffs on him; though he does not struggle. As they lead him away, Vanessa suddenly rushes towards Arthur, throw her arms around him and kisses him. Before the police can take him away, they speak.

VANESSA HUDSON

Arthur, I don't want a divorce. You'll always be my husband and I love you no matter what.

ARTHUR HUDSON

I love you to Vanessa.

Then the police throw Arthur into the back of a police car. His family watches as it drives him away.

Newscast

A anchorman reads the news story as images appear. First is a mugshot of the Railway Ripper.

Anchorman

The infamous Railway Ripper's spree of killings has come to an end. He himself was killed by an Arthur Hudson.

Then there is an image of Arthur's mugshot.

ANCHORMAN

Arthur Hudson, a resident of the town of Dover, has pleaded no contest to several counts of first degree murder. The seemingly upstanding citizen has been sentenced to life in prison with no chance of prole.

Then there is an air view of a field at the Hudson farm. Police officers stand beside several dug up graves.

ANCHORMAN

Police have searched a property owned by Mr. Hudson and have exhumed several bodies.

Now there is a image of Arthur being led from a courthouse, wearing a suit and in handcuffs, surrounded by police.

ANCHORMAN

Arthur is being named the Family Man Killer. We will keep with this story ladies and gentlemen as it gets more surreal and bizarre.

Int. Arthur's Prison Cell Later

A small prison cell with a cot, sink and toilet; the walls are concrete painted orange. Arthur sits on the cots when the voice of a guard talks from beyond the metallic door to the cell.

Prison Guard

Hudson, you got mail.

A slot in the door opens and a single letter is pushed through and falls to the ground. Arthur picks it up, opens it, and begins to read.

Vanessa's letter

A series of images as Vanessa narrates. First is the image of Vanessa sitting at her kitchen table and writing a letter.

Vanessa's narration

Arthur, as I write this I am glad to inform you that the children are doing well.

Images of Ben running down a soccer field as he kicks a ball, the crowd watching cheers when he scores a goal.

VANESSA'S NARRATION

Ben is still playing soccer. People seem to not give him trouble about your situation. He misses you but says he is happy.

Images of Conney and Kenny, both wearing black wedding attire, standing inside a small chapel as they get married.

VANESSA'S NARRATION

Conney has left Dover. She and Kenny where married in Niagara Falls last month and now live in Toronto. But she says she will write.

An image of Vanessa sitting at the kitchen table writing again.

VANESSA'S NARRATION

As for myself, I miss you Arthur and will remain your wife. I know you didn't choose to be like you are, and that you do love me and the kids. Me and Ben will come to see you every month. And Arthur, I still and always will love you. Your loving wife, Vanessa.

INT. ARTHUR'S PRISON CELL LATER

Arthur finishes reading the letter then gets up from the cot. He goes to a wall across the room, it is covered with pictures and letters from his family. He uses some tape to put the most recent letter on his wall, stands back, and looks at it. Then then lowers his head and sighs.

Fade to black. Roll the credits.

Forum List

Back