And Now For Some Good News

The secret to making this work is to stay small and simple

I know a lot of folks like yourself Gallant one.

their lifestyles might have changed a tad, but they're far from deprived

On the other end of the spectrum, Hyrdo Quebec is buying up all the small poco's in the northeast, our American nuke plants are headed for decommission out of sheer age and disrepair , HQ is installing a huge 'wire' on down south......

Smart folks can read the writting on the wall

~S~

I would be ok with preparing for climate change.
But not trying to stop it. That just sounds like big govt bullshit

For all advocates of recycling, like the OP, even you have not gone far enough. I'm visiting Japan right now and have seen how they recycle. All materials must be separated, plastics, glass and paper. But they go much further. All paper or plastic labels are removed from containers, which must be washed before disposal; paper is separated into white and colored papers; plastics and glass are also separated; metals are also placed into their own separate bags. All recycled materials must be in clear plastic bags and if the collectors feel that your "contribution" is not properly prepared, they will refuse to pick up your trash. Some of these people are even turning off their autos at stop lights, both to conserve fuel and to somewhat abate their emissions. I have seen a lot of hybrid vehicles but I can tell you, they don't shun fossil fuels at all. One of the first things I noticed after I got here was the distinct smell of millions of motor vehicles operated in close quarters. The typical car here is tiny by American standards. I suspect the size of cars has more to do with the narrow infrastructure. Roads and parking are pretty tight.

I say there is conflicting data
more contrived and coerced....
~S~

The Middle Ages Warming period is contrived? How?

Other planets in our solar system also warming up is coerced? HGow is that again?

The sun drops like a billion times more energy on this planet than anything we do, so looking for causes of warming in changes with the sun is just too simple or what?

The Earth has been much warmer and much colder than it is now and mankind has lived through it.

What so different now? Why will mankind disappear in ten years if we dont voluntarily return to paleolithic times?

They're excited about taxing anything they can Dana....~S~

I don't understand what you mean.

My state has been moving to alternatives and renewables for a long time now.

Yes we have a lot of rivers and dams that create our energy and provide around 60% of our energy in my state. I understand not all states have that natural resource.

They do have the sun and wind though. Just like my state does. We have an area here that's called he Saudi Arabia of wind. We've been building windmills all over that area since the 90s. We have another area of the state that is desert and gets sun most of the year. We have developed those natural resources. We also have a small nuclear site that provides energy to the middle of nowhere in a corner of my state. I'm not a fan of nuclear anything but understand that people in the middle of nowhere do need energy.

The people of my state passed an initiative that requires our state to get a certain amount of our energy from alternative sources.

We haven't lost any energy here. It doesn't cost much beyond building the wind and sun farms. Except when those wind farms first came on line it was more energy than what the existing grid could handle so we voted to increase our taxes to build that new grid to handle all that new energy.

We sell our excess energy to other neighboring states. We also have the third lowest electric rates in the nation. I just paid my electric bill for last month. February was a very cold month here filled with a lot of snow. The bill was 54 dollars. Winter is the high rate season here.
I'm jealous!

Yes we have a lot of rivers and dams that create our energy and provide around 60% of our energy in my state. I understand not all states have that natural resource.

They do have the sun and wind though. Just like my state does. We an area here that's called he Saudi Arabia of wind. We've been building windmills all over that area since the 90s. We have another area of the state that is desert and gets sun most of the year. We have developed those natural resources. We also have a small nuclear site that provides energy to the middle of nowhere in a corner of my state. I'm not a fan of nuclear anything but understand that people in the middle of nowhere do need energy.

The people of my state passed an initiative that requires our state to get a certain amount of our energy from alternative sources.

We haven't lost any energy here. It doesn't cost much beyond building the wind and sun farms. Except when those wind farms first came on line it was more energy than what the existing grid could handle so we voted to increase our taxes to build that new grid to handle all that new energy.

We sell our excess energy to other neighboring states. We also have the third lowest electric rates in the nation. I just paid my electric bill for last month. February was a very cold month here filled with a lot of snow. The bill was 54 dollars. Winter is the high rate season here.
In my state, we have lots of rivers and lots of wetlands spread over immense lands. Building dams in order to provide alternative hydroelectric power would cause irreparable damage to the wetlands and the distribution systems required to bring that power to the users would be expensive and further damage the habitat. How do you reconcile the environmental damage done by establishment of alternative power sources?

Did you read and comprehend what I posted?

I said I understand that other states don't have that natural resource like my state has.

You obviously live in a place that can't develop that natural resource.

You can encourage our government and private business to start developing other alternatives to fossil fuels.

I bet the sun shines where you live. And I bet the wind blows too. Even if there's clouds in the sky the sun is out and that energy can be developed.

I know we all have brains and can work to find solutions. Just as I see some republicans finally doing.

You won't have those wetlands if climate change reduces the source of that water.

I'm trying to get humans to not destroy that source of water that creates the areas in your state.
We already use an alternative to fossil fuels and every winter the EPA raises holy hell because of the particulates generated by heating with wood.
You can be the sun shines, some of the time, but when it only shines for a few hours, rising just barely above the horizon, and in many places, it doesn't rise at all for months, solar is only a viable option in the summer.
Wind generation has been tried but found inadequate to provide sufficient power for the largest city in this state. In other places, you would have to clear cut a lot of trees to make space for wind generators and the wind is not that reliable, anyhow.
And don't you worry. If climate change (LOL) advances, we will have loads of arable land where wetlands once laid. Let the farming begin!

So, what personal steps are you taking to change your power usage? How do you stay warm? How do you move water to your home, and how do you dispose of the waste you generate?

You said 'in many places, it doesn't rise at all for months". Were you talking about world wide, or were you talking about just the USA? In either case, you are sorely wrong, because granted, there are places where the sun doesn't rise for a couple of months, those places are above the Arctic Circle. The only state in the US that is affected by long nights are those in Alaska, and there ain't that many people in that state.

As far as the people in the lower 48? Those in the northern states will receive at least 9 hours, and the people in the southern states will receive 10 hours of sunlight on the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year. So, even on that one you are wrong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...he-year/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f0b7558cce50
Solar is far ahead of wind, wind is a fucking joke it’s return is diminishing the best.
But there is not enough real estate for solar to supply adequate energy...
As with all alternative energy and always has to be rude backed up by something reliable, affordable and viable.... it’s called fossil fuels.
And in places like here in the northern plains without fossil fuels nothing would exist. The average temperature was a little over 11° for the month of February here in western South Dakota… No global warming going on here.
You're mistaking weather for global warming.

In my state, we have lots of rivers and lots of wetlands spread over immense lands. Building dams in order to provide alternative hydroelectric power would cause irreparable damage to the wetlands and the distribution systems required to bring that power to the users would be expensive and further damage the habitat. How do you reconcile the environmental damage done by establishment of alternative power sources?

I said I understand that other states don't have that natural resource like my state has.

You can encourage our government and private business to start developing other alternatives to fossil fuels.

I bet the sun shines where you live. And I bet the wind blows too. Even if there's clouds in the sky the sun is out and that energy can be developed.

I know we all have brains and can work to find solutions. Just as I see some republicans finally doing.

You won't have those wetlands if climate change reduces the source of that water.

I'm trying to get humans to not destroy that source of water that creates the areas in your state.
We already use an alternative to fossil fuels and every winter the EPA raises holy hell because of the particulates generated by heating with wood.
You can be the sun shines, some of the time, but when it only shines for a few hours, rising just barely above the horizon, and in many places, it doesn't rise at all for months, solar is only a viable option in the summer.
Wind generation has been tried but found inadequate to provide sufficient power for the largest city in this state. In other places, you would have to clear cut a lot of trees to make space for wind generators and the wind is not that reliable, anyhow.
And don't you worry. If climate change (LOL) advances, we will have loads of arable land where wetlands once laid. Let the farming begin!

So, what personal steps are you taking to change your power usage? How do you stay warm? How do you move water to your home, and how do you dispose of the waste you generate?

You said 'in many places, it doesn't rise at all for months". Were you talking about world wide, or were you talking about just the USA? In either case, you are sorely wrong, because granted, there are places where the sun doesn't rise for a couple of months, those places are above the Arctic Circle. The only state in the US that is affected by long nights are those in Alaska, and there ain't that many people in that state.

As far as the people in the lower 48? Those in the northern states will receive at least 9 hours, and the people in the southern states will receive 10 hours of sunlight on the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year. So, even on that one you are wrong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...he-year/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f0b7558cce50
Solar is far ahead of wind, wind is a fucking joke it’s return is diminishing the best.
As with all alternative energy and always has to be rude backed up by something reliable, affordable and viable.... it’s called fossil fuels.
And in places like here in the northern plains without fossil fuels nothing would exist. The average temperature was a little over 11° for the month of February here in western South Dakota… No global warming going on here.
Same difference...
This dictates the climate more than anything else...
newcluetosol.png

Love driving by solar farms buried in snow and then have the utilities ask people to turn off everything they can and their heat down to 60 cause there isn't enough power...….how progressive

Which utilities are those?
XCEL energy

When did XCEL Energy ask people to turn off everything they can and their heat down to 60 cause there isn't enough power? PLEASE POST!
why......so you can play denier and excuser of bad policy

Same difference...
This dictates the climate more than anything else...
newcluetosol.png
Weather refers to atmospheric conditions that occur locally over short periods of time—from minutes to hours or days. Familiar examples include rain, snow, clouds, winds, floods or thunderstorms.

Global warming refers to the long-term warming of the planet since the early 20th century, and most notably since the late 1970s, due to the increase in fossil fuel emissions since the Industrial Revolution. Worldwide since 1880, the average surface temperature has gone up by about 1 °C (about 2 °F), relative to the mid-20th-century baseline (of 1951-1980). This is on top of about an additional 0.15 °C of warming from between 1750 and 1880.

I was very encouraged to see this article this morning.

Those of us who actually want to do something about climate change knows that it has to be a bipartisan debate and solution. Maybe I'm old school but I still believe when all participate, the best ideas rise to the top and are able to be implemented. Compromise and putting what's best for our nation should allow us to at least agree on some things and work on those things we agree on.

Republicans who believe in climate change seek antidote to Green New Deal

If we don't do something about this soon, most major rivers in all of America will look like the Nisqualy River does now.

If you like to eat food, I'm sure you can agree that we can't keep allowing our rivers, that provide the water that grows that food, to be reduced to what has happened to rivers and lakes all over our nation.

View attachment 249593

The underlying irony of all this is that conservation is a conservative issue. Conservatives should be leading it.

The only thing conservatives lead the way to is money and power. They don't seem to give a damn about anything else.

You are an idiot and a bigot....

Love driving by solar farms buried in snow and then have the utilities ask people to turn off everything they can and their heat down to 60 cause there isn't enough power...….how progressive

Which utilities are those?
XCEL energy

When did XCEL Energy ask people to turn off everything they can and their heat down to 60 cause there isn't enough power? PLEASE POST!
why......so you can play denier and excuser of bad policy

'Eff anyone's policy

Most investors of alt energy could give a rodent's rear end about saving the planet....

~S~

If we are serious about climate change, we would have declared war on India and China by now.
Oh shove that stupid argument up your fat ignorant ass.

How about we look at emissions per person, assfuck.

I the below, the countries are ranked & then per capita is stated

But hey, you be a total dick & ignore population.

2015 total emissions country rank Country 2015 per capita carbon dioxide emissions from fuel combustion (metric tons)
1 China 6.59
2 United States 15.53
3 India 1.58
4 Russia 10.19

They're excited about taxing anything they can Dana....~S~

They do have the sun and wind though. Just like my state does. We have an area here that's called he Saudi Arabia of wind. We've been building windmills all over that area since the 90s. We have another area of the state that is desert and gets sun most of the year. We have developed those natural resources. We also have a small nuclear site that provides energy to the middle of nowhere in a corner of my state. I'm not a fan of nuclear anything but understand that people in the middle of nowhere do need energy.

What state are you in? It's either Washington or Oregon. I know Oregon doesn't have low electricity rates, and the windmills have been a joke...they want to take them out.

Love reading posts from total morons like you. Believe it or not, snow can be removed from panels & their performance increases because of the reflective snow.

Were you just born stupid & did it take years to get to your level?

Windmill farms seem to be doing pretty good up here in the Texas Panhandle.

Same thing for eastern New Mexico, and the eastern plains of Colorado.
I've visited Clearwater and driven through Texas where all those windfarms are. What a lovely landscape, guess a lot of modern painters are going to work on that view. And some of the solar farms in the Cali desert have turned out to be great barbeques for endangered species.
Because no animals are ever killed by pollution from coal & oil.

Forum List

Back