*And It Begins*

Sorry bout that,

1. The problem with islam as a religion or whatever it is, is, where ever they settle, inevitablly that part of the world will have to break with thier way of life in order to apease islam, and its special days of this or that washing, foods and an asortment of other demands.
2. Then at the same time they get all thier demands met in these things, they try to get thier people into places of power, and start from within to change things to thier favor.
3. Then slowly start making demands on what they want from the people in those areas, lands, laws changed, special freedoms only appling to themselves.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

And this makes Islam different from Christianity in what way?

I don't recall Christianity (in the present day) condoning stonings, body maiming, repression of women, calls to jihad, demands for sharia law, or having calls to prayer sounded (to the annoyance of non-believers) for prayers 5 times a gay to a broken fragment of meteorite in Mecca. Besides all that, I suppose Christianity and Islam aren't all that different after all.

I was addressing the statements made by the opening post.

Yes Islam and Christianity are different, however they both are alike in their quest for power and control.

And they are both also wrong.

I think it is a mistake to add this religious holiday for Cambridge schools as a day off.

it is true that we have "Christmas Break" as some call it, but it is truly NOT a Christmas "religious" break....if it were then the kids and staff would be off Christmas, and NOT off for the whole week between Christmas and New Years....

To me, it is a Winter Break

And the same with Easter, which falls on a Sunday and there is no school anyway....this is Spring Break....

yes, these breaks have been built around Christian Holidays, but primarily because most students were Christian, and most students would miss school around these Holidays anyway and it was difficult for the school system to teach a near empty class room, then have to repeat the lessons again for all of those who missed school.

This is not the case with a Muslim Holiday and not the case with a Jewish Holiday, where MOST of the students would take this day off.....making it difficult for the schools to have an educational continuance... there are few Jews and Muslims in the over all picture of things, at most schools.

This is an over reaction of Cambridge to the negative vibe out in the public regarding Muslims and their way of trying to show they are not Islamophobes...

I can understand where Cambridge is coming from, but I believe they are wrong in their decision to do this...

Sorry bout that,

1. Here we go, islam wants holidays for thier crap.
2. Watch the powers that be fold like a deck of cards.
3. Good Bye America!
4. Link and sample:School system to get Muslim holiday - The Boston Globe

"As a Muslim and a high school senior at Cambridge Rindge and Latin School, 17-year-old Dunia Kassay faces a tough choice every year on Islamic holy days: go to school or stay home to be with family and friends.

Tweet 24 people Tweeted thisYahoo! Buzz ShareThis If she stays home, Kassay says, she will be forced to play catch-up and make up her school assignments. But if she goes to school, she will be neglecting what she feels is her religious obligation on holidays such as Eid al-Fitr, which marks the end of Ramadan, the month of fasting.

“It’s really conflicting,’’ Kassay said. “Instead of fasting for a month and enjoying this really big day, eating and going to family’s houses, it’s kind of like, ‘Oh, hey, guys, I’ve got to go do my homework.’ ’’

But beginning next year, Cambridge public schools will attempt to make it easier for Muslim students to honor their highest holy days.

In a move that school officials believe is the first of its kind in the state, Cambridge will close schools for one Muslim holiday each year beginning in the 2011-2012 school year."

5. Next these bastards will be demanding loud speakers, (Harrrrrennnennnneakkkkkkaaakkkaaaakkkabbaaaarrr,....) and a room to jump on a carpet.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

One day? I see no problem with one day. Means the school district runs an extra day at the end of the year.

Sorry bout that,

1. The problem with islam as a religion or whatever it is, is, where ever they settle, inevitablly that part of the world will have to break with thier way of life in order to apease islam, and its special days of this or that washing, foods and an asortment of other demands.
2. Then at the same time they get all thier demands met in these things, they try to get thier people into places of power, and start from within to change things to thier favor.
3. Then slowly start making demands on what they want from the people in those areas, lands, laws changed, special freedoms only appling to themselves.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

I don't recall Christianity (in the present day) condoning stonings, body maiming, repression of women, calls to jihad, demands for sharia law, or having calls to prayer sounded (to the annoyance of non-believers) for prayers 5 times a gay to a broken fragment of meteorite in Mecca. Besides all that, I suppose Christianity and Islam aren't all that different after all.

Muslims do not worship a meteorite, as I understand it that was removed LONG ago.

I think it is a mistake to add this religious holiday for Cambridge schools as a day off.

it is true that we have "Christmas Break" as some call it, but it is truly NOT a Christmas "religious" break....if it were then the kids and staff would be off Christmas, and NOT off for the whole week between Christmas and New Years....

And the same with Easter, which falls on a Sunday and there is no school anyway....this is Spring Break....

yes, these breaks have been built around Christian Holidays, but primarily because most students were Christian, and most students would miss school around these Holidays anyway and it was difficult for the school system to teach a near empty class room, then have to repeat the lessons again for all of those who missed school.

This is not the case with a Muslim Holiday and not the case with a Jewish Holiday, where MOST of the students would take this day off.....making it difficult for the schools to have an educational continuance... there are few Jews and Muslims in the over all picture of things, at most schools.

This is an over reaction of Cambridge to the negative vibe out in the public regarding Muslims and their way of trying to show they are not Islamophobes...

I can understand where Cambridge is coming from, but I believe they are wrong in their decision to do this...

It is ONE day. If they start giving them all the holidays then we have a problem. And does anyone know the number of Muslim school children at that school? If it is a very small number it really is a waste of time but it STILL is only ONE day.

I was addressing the statements made by the opening post.

Yes Islam and Christianity are different, however they both are alike in their quest for power and control.
No. As I have stated, in general Christians don't go on campaigns of terror in a quest for power and control. I guess you'll argue that Christians just do it in a different way to Muslims, but they are not alike in their quests. They may both be on a quest, but they are nothing alike.
And they are both also wrong.
Well, that's your value judgment, and it is quite irrelevant to this discourse.

Why not? If we celebrate Good Friday, Christmas, the Feast of Lights, and or Yom Kippur, then why not give a pass to Muslim students for Eid al-Fitr. The only people who could logically oppose this are the atheists and the agnostics, and why should they care: give them one day a year also. Or don't give anyone the days off.

Our government was the first in modern history to establish a secular government with a clearly separated church and state.

There is clearly no rationale for argument.

I dunno. Look what is happening in Europe. It all started with a little bit of accommodation for Muslims. Definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. So what good could come of doing the same thing that Europe has done: appeasing Muslims?

Now equality for all is appeasement?

Why not? If we celebrate Good Friday, Christmas, the Feast of Lights, and or Yom Kippur, then why not give a pass to Muslim students for Eid al-Fitr. The only people who could logically oppose this are the atheists and the agnostics, and why should they care: give them one day a year also. Or don't give anyone the days off.

Our government was the first in modern history to establish a secular government with a clearly separated church and state.

There is clearly no rationale for argument.

I dunno. Look what is happening in Europe. It all started with a little bit of accommodation for Muslims. Definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. So what good could come of doing the same thing that Europe has done: appeasing Muslims?

Now equality for all is appeasement?

Everyone equally gets holidays off around Christmas time, and plenty of other holidays. Which should Muslims be pandered to?

Your argument is flawed, Ozmar. This is not a Christian nation; it is governed by a secular constitution that guarantees equal rights to all. Why should Christians or Jews or you or me be pandered to? We do for anyone that we do for all, and making non-Christians observe Christian holidays is not right.

That's interesting.

What Jewish holidays observances close schools?

None that I can remember.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." Gandhi

"Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried." Gilbert K. Chesterton

What is Intolerance? What is Tolerance? What Does it Mean to be Intolerant? Many Christians Have a Double Standard in their Demands for More Tolerance

"I find it very curious how often Christians demand tolerance of their religion even as so many Christians refuse to demonstrate the same sort of tolerance towards others. Some Christians argue that because Jesus made an exclusive claim to Truth, they are obliged to not be "indulgent" or "respectful" of falsehoods — precisely the attitude which some Christians, and perhaps some of the same Christians, want irreligious atheists to cease.

Other Christians don't support tolerance when it prevents them from asserting social and political superiority over other groups. In the minds such Christians, they have no obligation to be "tolerant" — they are in the majority and therefore should be permitted to do whatever they want. Only minorities have an obligation to be tolerant, which basically means allowing the majority Christians to do as they will. If they stand up to challenge this and demand that the government treat everyone equally, this is basically the same as oppressing Christians and failing to show them "tolerance" (in other circumstances, the correct word would be "obsequiousness")"

It has nothing to do with intolerance with me...

I don't believe public schools are closed for the sole purpose of anyone's religious holidays.

I believe they are given Winter and Spring breaks, and they chose the timing of Christmas and Easter for these breaks because too many children were missing school a day or 2 during these periods, so they chose to schedule their winter and Spring breaks around this time period.

The schools are NOT closing these weeks at a time for a religious holiday.....that would be unconstitutional.

And closing a school for one day for a religious Muslim Holiday would be unconstitutional as well.

Have ANY Public schools been closed for a Jewish religious holiday?

NO, they have not....because we do not close schools solely or specifically for religious holy days.

It is ONE day. If they start giving them all the holidays then we have a problem. And does anyone know the number of Muslim school children at that school? If it is a very small number it really is a waste of time but it STILL is only ONE day.

If the number is small and it is only ONE DAY, why not let those children take off and make the work up later rather than catering to a small minority? Cause catering to a 'very small number' is the new norm. :rolleyes:

Care's assessment is spot on.

If the number is small and it is only ONE DAY, why not let those children take off and make the work up later rather than catering to a small minority? Cause catering to a 'very small number' is the new norm. :rolleyes:

Care's assessment is spot on.

those children are ALREADY ALLOWED to take the day off for their religious holidays...they just don't like having to make up the work that was done on those school days while they are off....

NO SCHOOL has stopped any child of any religion from taking their religious holiday off.

Why not just give each denomination, say, 3 holidays each (christians have xmas, easter and halloween). But the catch being, you can't take off a day that's a holiday of another faith. Atheists can either choose a set of holidays or do the overtime. And everyone gets new year's, labor day and july 4th or whatever. Simple, no?

Why not just give each denomination, say, 3 holidays each (christians have xmas, easter and halloween). But the catch being, you can't take off a day that's a holiday of another faith. Atheists can either choose a set of holidays or do the overtime. And everyone gets new year's, labor day and july 4th or whatever. Simple, no?

Everyone in school can take whatever day they need, off for religious purposes, as it stands now.

the reason Winter break and Spring break are scheduled around the Christmas and Easter holidays IS because so many children were missing school....and teachers would have to repeat the lessons they gave for the few attending school, with those that took the holiday off.

It is double work for the schools and teachers.

Why not just give each denomination, say, 3 holidays each (christians have xmas, easter and halloween). But the catch being, you can't take off a day that's a holiday of another faith.

You do realize that Jews and Christians celebrate some of the same holidays, right?

Also, All Hallows Eve is very much not a Christian Holy Day.

Forum List

Back