An Opportunity to Convince about Convictions

N4mddissent

Sep 30, 2008
Imagine that I am ready to accept the existence of a god and now, with a blank slate, am trying to decide which religion is correct.

I would like for followers of any particular religious belief to post whatever objective evidence they would like to provide which presents a case that their particular religious belief is more likely to be true than others. Convince me to follow your faith.

For example, if you are Hindu, present objective evidence that demonstrates the validity of Hinduism over Islam, Christianity, Judaism, etc...

I will only consider evidence if it follows a couple of guidelines.

1) It is not self-referential. In other words, quoting the Koran or the Bible will not be considered since A) to believe they are divine truth you must already be an adherent so it is useless to an outsider, and B) both claim to be perfect and without contradiction- regardless of whether this is true, it is not proof of the divine and is not useful since it would just be a subjective debate over which one is actually the most "perfect". Any statement in which one must already be a believer to accept as true is included as well.

2)I will not accept "just-so" stories or anecdotes about the time your cousin had a vision, or your mother was miraculously healed. I have no reason to take these at face value. Furthermore, many religions claim miracles with equal zeal and unless I already accept your belief as true (see rule 1) I have no way to determine which "miracles" are real.

Good luck.

The absence of evidence here is almost as informative as any posts would be.

Forum List

Back