An interesting observation

Why bother with security in a middle, or upper class neighborhood?
Those people aren't as likely to steal as those living in poverty stricken neighborhoods without jobs..

Have you ever heard of teenagers?

That's also why you see those same shops locked down at night behind gates and bars, and why in the upper class neighborhoods, such actions are totally unnecessary.

Because they can have monitored alarm systems perhaps.

Near where I live, a local neighborhood organisation paid shopkeepers to remove roll down window guards because they thought it was having an effect on their property values.

Why bother with security in a middle, or upper class neighborhood?
Those people aren't as likely to steal as those living in poverty stricken neighborhoods without jobs..

Have you ever heard of teenagers?

That's also why you see those same shops locked down at night behind gates and bars, and why in the upper class neighborhoods, such actions are totally unnecessary.

Because they can have monitored alarm systems perhaps.

Teenagers are prone to stealing things like food? No. They're prone to stealing small items out of boredom, and it's usually in places like "Claire's" that have a very large selection of very small "cool" items.

And, again...no. Here, you can actually leave your car running, and windows down while you run into the store, and amazingly enough, it will still be exactly where you left it when you get back out.

Hate to say it, but the people that live in the "poor" neighborhoods MAKE them exactly what they are.

There, if the cashier gives them $20 too much back, because bills happened to get stuck together, that customer is going to take the money and run with it.. Then the store's out that $20, and again, has to factor that into the cost of doing business..

Here, if a cashier hands you too much change, people actually *gasp* GIVE IT BACK.

It's been this way for years. The Denver Post recently had an article about it.

Price disparity in groceries
Grocery staples in low-income areas are no cheaper, and sometimes cost more, than the same items in more-affluent areas.
By David Migoya

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_8818445

From your article.

"For some reason, I would have thought that stores located in low-income neighborhoods were pricing identically to the others in the chain," said Kathy White, project director for the Colorado Fiscal Policy Institute, and who is not related to shopper Kathryn White. "It's disheartening."

You are correct, at least in part. There is a lack of competition in poor neighborhoods. There is also more spoilage, as those that 'walk' for groceries can only buy so much at a time. Oftentimes the freshness of produce/meat is inferior, as the grocer himself buys small amounts. Crime is higher as are insurance rates. The 'low rents' are a fiction though, considering the profit per square foot-they are high.

What's always struck me as ironic is that for the most part, 'community activists' have seldom worked at setting up cooperatives or mass buying systems in these neighborhoods, while the areas they generally live in, have cooperatives a plenty.

True. Midcan5 started an interesting thread a while back about some community activists who are trying to help out a neighborhood other than their own.

http://usmessageboard.com/showthread.php?t=53992&highlight=heaven

People destined for Heaven

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The People's Grocery

"In West Oakland, California, where liquor stores have replaced markets, People’s Grocery is creating a healthy alternative, offering access to organic produce. Through urban gardens and local farms, People's Grocery supports a culture based on connection to the land, sustainable agricultural practices, and regenerating community."

http://www.globalonenessproject.org/...peoplesgrocery

Teenagers are prone to stealing things like food? No. They're prone to stealing small items out of boredom, and it's usually in places like "Claire's" that have a very large selection of very small "cool" items.

And, again...no. Here, you can actually leave your car running, and windows down while you run into the store, and amazingly enough, it will still be exactly where you left it when you get back out.

Hate to say it, but the people that live in the "poor" neighborhoods MAKE them exactly what they are.

There, if the cashier gives them $20 too much back, because bills happened to get stuck together, that customer is going to take the money and run with it.. Then the store's out that $20, and again, has to factor that into the cost of doing business..

Here, if a cashier hands you too much change, people actually *gasp* GIVE IT BACK.

Wow, I never realized upper middle class people were so honest. Too bad Angie's posted article blows your theory out of the water.

Wow, I never realized upper middle class people were so honest. Too bad Angie's posted article blows your theory out of the water.

Again, what may blow a theory out of the water for YOUR particular area may not hold true for MY area.. Here, people actually give two shits about their entire CITY, rather than just themselves. When you pay more to live in a better area, you tend to respect that area and take care of it..

Here's an example for you.. 2 black people (who were *obviously* from Milwaukee's poorer north side (yes they could have been any color, but they WERE black) were shopping in my city's local Super Walmart, which is very clean, very neat, very well organized, and taken care of, and actually pays for competent employees.. They're rummaging through clearance clothing racks like they're at a garage sale.. BOTH of them knock a bunch of shirts off hangers.. Do you think they bothered to bend their fat asses down and pick them up? Nope. Left them lay there, stepped on them, and went on their merry way. Seeing that pissed me off.. I promptly picked up the entire pile, walked up to them, put them IN their cart, and said "Excuse me.. You dropped these. Here in West Bend, we clean up after ourselves.", and proceeded to finish my shopping.

THAT shit also drives up the cost of business...If they're doing it in a nice area, imagine what they're doing to their own areas.

Again, what may blow a theory out of the water for YOUR particular area may not hold true for MY area.. Here, people actually give two shits about their entire CITY, rather than just themselves. When you pay more to live in a better area, you tend to respect that area and take care of it..

Here's an example for you.. 2 black people (who were *obviously* from Milwaukee's poorer north side (yes they could have been any color, but they WERE black) were shopping in my city's local Super Walmart, which is very clean, very neat, very well organized, and taken care of, and actually pays for competent employees.. They're rummaging through clearance clothing racks like they're at a garage sale.. BOTH of them knock a bunch of shirts off hangers.. Do you think they bothered to bend their fat asses down and pick them up? Nope. Left them lay there, stepped on them, and went on their merry way. Seeing that pissed me off.. I promptly picked up the entire pile, walked up to them, put them IN their cart, and said "Excuse me.. You dropped these. Here in West Bend, we clean up after ourselves.", and proceeded to finish my shopping.

THAT shit also drives up the cost of business...If they're doing it in a nice area, imagine what they're doing to their own areas.

Maybe you should quit slumming at Walmart.

Rich people are just as rude and uppity as poor people.

You sound like a racist.

You sound like a racist.

Maybe if you're going to come in to my fucking neighborhood, you should treat it with the same respect WE who pay to live here do, or get the fuck out. How about that?

Maybe I am racist.. But, I'm not COLOR racist. I'm lazy, pathetic asshole racist.

You sound like a racist.

My guess is, given the sudden tone of your post, that you're one of those lazy-assed people that can't return a shopping cart, either, and instead just leave it in the space next to your car, or try to cram it in the bushes.

My guess is, given the sudden tone of your post, that you're one of those lazy-assed people that can't return a shopping cart, either, and instead just leave it in the space next to your car, or try to cram it in the bushes.

LOL! No, I'm actually pretty polite and follow the rules.

I did enjoy pushing your buttons to the extent that you had to make two replies to one post.

Enjoy your next trip to Walmart.

LOL! No, I'm actually pretty polite and follow the rules.

I did enjoy pushing your buttons to the extent that you had to make two replies to one post.

Enjoy your next trip to Walmart.

I notice you didn't address the other one which pointed out if you're going to be a pig, you should go back to your own pen..

I notice you didn't address the other one which pointed out if you're going to be a pig, you should go back to your own pen..

I'm still wondering how you can tell where people live just by looking at them. Maybe you have some fat-assed lazy black people in your very own neighborhood.

But the costs are the same in the different neighborhoods to the store owners. Maybe the insurance is higher in a poor neighborhood, I don't know, but I'm guessing they are pretty equal because of the value of the property being insured.

I guess you haven't been in any poor sections recently, I never see any security patrolling the stores. That would be more likely in a middle class or upper class neighborhoods.

Regardless of which of us is correct, and we probably both are to an extent, can you at least see how this drags people living in poverty down even further?

Maybe not in little stores, but the Safeway I used to shop at had an armed security guard because they were tired of being robbed every weekend.

I'm still wondering how you can tell where people live just by looking at them. Maybe you have some fat-assed lazy black people in your very own neighborhood.

The total black population for my entire city is probably less than 2%.. And they all have jobs, and the same level of respect for their surroundings as the rest of us who live here.

I also notice you failed to address the fact that people *make* the neighborhood they live in exactly what it is. You can be "poverty stricken", and STILL bend your lazy ass over and pick up the garbage you thoughtlessly threw on the ground.

Hehe.
I must point out, however, that often those carts are just left where they are by mothers, or better yet, pregnant mothers with toddlers, who feel overwhelmed after shopping by the prospect of dragging either their toddlers, their pregnant asses, or both, across the parking lot a quarter mile to place the cart in the proper cart parking space.

Cuz we all know you can't leave your friggin kids in the car alone for a single millisecond because either they'll be kidnapped outright, be kidnapped in the course of a car jack, or you'll get your lazy ass turned in for negligence for leaving them unattended.

I plead guilty. As soon as the kids are old enough, I have THEM park the flipping carts.

Hehe.
I must point out, however, that often those carts are just left where they are by mothers, or better yet, pregnant mothers with toddlers, who feel overwhelmed after shopping by the prospect of dragging either their toddlers, their pregnant asses, or both, across the parking lot a quarter mile to place the cart in the proper cart parking space.

Cuz we all know you can't leave your friggin kids in the car alone for a single millisecond because either they'll be kidnapped outright, be kidnapped in the course of a car jack, or you'll get your lazy ass turned in for negligence for leaving them unattended.

I plead guilty. As soon as the kids are old enough, I have THEM park the flipping carts.

Congratulations - you are also raising the cost of doing business, which gets passed on to consumers.. The shopping carts you just leave sitting often end up blowing away, into other peoples cars causing a lot of damage, who then try and file suit with the grocery store, regardless of the fact that said stores have signs posted saying they're not responsible for damage from carts.

If you can haul your children TO The store with you, then you can haul them with you to return the carts to where you originally got them, or at *LEAST* 20 feet away to one of the 8-12 cart corrals scattered across the parking lot. While you're doing what you SHOULD be doing, you're also teaching your children that everything has a proper place when you're finished with it, and should be put in that place.

Forum List

Back