An example of just how screwed up taxes can be...Football fact!

eflatminor

Classical Liberal
May 24, 2011
While I have no interest in professional football, I do care about taxes. An example of just how screwed up taxes can be...this time involving the state of New Jersey:

If the Denver Broncos loose the Superbowl and their quarterback, Payton Manning, continues to play the 2014 season, he will pay New Jersey $46,844 on his $46,000, which amounts to a 101.83% tax on his actual Super Bowl earnings in the state—and this does not even consider federal taxes!

That's right, the state of NJ may impose a 101% tax rate on a person's income. How screwed up is that?!

New Jersey Taxes Could Eat Up All Of Peyton Manning's Super Bowl Earnings - Forbes

This is why I firmly believe that there should be a federal law that prevents a person from being subjected to income tax liability by two states at the same time.

While I have no interest in professional football, I do care about taxes. An example of just how screwed up taxes can be...this time involving the state of New Jersey:

If the Denver Broncos loose the Superbowl and their quarterback, Payton Manning, continues to play the 2014 season, he will pay New Jersey $46,844 on his $46,000, which amounts to a 101.83% tax on his actual Super Bowl earnings in the state—and this does not even consider federal taxes!

That's right, the state of NJ may impose a 101% tax rate on a person's income. How screwed up is that?!

New Jersey Taxes Could Eat Up All Of Peyton Manning's Super Bowl Earnings - Forbes

That's a bitch.

Think he'll lose his apartment because of it?

BTW...STATES RIGHTS, remember?!

Remember how STATES RIGHTS is going to liberate us all from the tyranny of the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT?

idiots

Last edited:

That's a bitch.

Think he'll lose his apartment because of it?

His net worth has nothing to do with it. Do you think it is acceptable for a state to CHARGE someone for the right to work in that state? Yes or no?

BTW...STATES RIGHTS, remember?!

Remember how STATES RIGHTS is going to liberate us all from the tyranny of the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT?

When talking about the balance of power between federal and state governments, yes. But we're not talking about that, are we? We're talking about unjust taxes in one particular state.

Not too bright are ya? What was the word you used? Idiot? Yes, that's it...

Yeah because Peyton is only earning $46K a game.

And another Leftist misses the point. Why am I not surprised.

Yes or no...do you think it acceptable that a state would CHARGE someone, anyone, for the right to labor in that state?

Yes or no?

Yes or no...do you think it acceptable that a state would CHARGE someone, anyone, for the right to labor in that state?

Yes or no?

The first thing you need to do is fix your math.

Then you should realize your question is irrelevant.

If you still think you have a point then do some more research on how state taxation works for athletes.

Brother Eli has played his entire career in NJ and I doubt if he pays 101% in taxes

Maybe Peyton needs a better accountant

As a NJ resident, I seriously doubt if we will see any of his money

Brother Eli has played his entire career in NJ and I doubt if he pays 101% in taxes

Maybe Peyton needs a better accountant

As a NJ resident, I seriously doubt if we will see any of his money

Eli plays plenty of games outside of NJ so he pays taxes in those other states just like how teams visiting NJ pay taxes to NJ.

If more of Manning's salary is being apportioned to NJ then less of it is being apportioned to the other states he has played.

Come on now! Didn't you know that there is income "inequailty" in this country. For every dollar Manning makes, some poor soul isn't getting a dollar because wealth is finite and there is only so much of it to go around. It isn't "fair" that he has too much and someone else has too little. The only right thing to do is take some of it away thru taxes and pass it on to the other 99%. Get with the program! It's like you didn't listen to the SOTU address at all.

Come on now! Didn't you know that there is income "inequailty" in this country. For every dollar Manning makes, some poor soul isn't getting a dollar because wealth is finite and there is only so much of it to go around. It isn't "fair" that he has too much and someone else has too little. The only right thing to do is take some of it away thru taxes and pass it on to the other 99%. Get with the program! It's like you didn't listen to the SOTU address at all.

Actually his salary is inflated by government subsidization of stadiums.

Any idea of the financial benefit to area businesses and the resulting tax revenue a city/state takes in when they have a major league sports stadium?

Any idea of the financial benefit to area businesses and the resulting tax revenue a city/state takes in when they have a major league sports stadium?

How much does a publicly Football Stadium contribute to local business that a privately funded stadium does not?

Which businesses benefit?

Yes or no?

The first thing you need to do is fix your math.

Forbes got the math wrong, eh?

Then you should realize your question is irrelevant.

You've yet to articulate why you believe that is the case.

If you still think you have a point then do some more research on how state taxation works for athletes.

In this case, it works such that a person will be paying for the right to labor in the state of New Jersey.

I say that's fucked up. You have yet to render a cogent opinion.

So you're against government subsidization? Excellent! There is yet hope.

So now you want to argue about why we subsidize his paycheck?

Forum List

Back