An Apology to African Americans

N
Lol...... Right. 56 years ago it was 1961. If you had been black in this country in 1961 you would have probably committed suicide.
I was 15 years old in 1961. Lots of blacks in my high school. They were OK. Same as everyone else.

And in 1961, YOUR parents and other white people like them were being displaced in colleges as well as the workplace all over America?

Suuuuure.
His daddy and 30 other whites applied for a job and a black guy got the job because of aa. But before aa blacks never got the job. How was that fair?

So aa says companies have to have 12% of their staff black. Same as the population %

These guys want to go back to 100% white

No one is asking for 100% white.
AA was passed for a reason. Are you saying it's no longer needed? Are you saying it should have never been implemented?

Times have changed since the early 60s.

It is fucking white people who don't deserve it, and turning Americans against each other.

I reflect back on President Reagan's apology to Japanese internees. It made sense, the generations that were directly effected were still with us. Slavery is a absolutely atrocious part of our history, but the generations that it effected are gone. An apology for something that dosen't exist anymore to people that never experienced it, from people that had nothing to do with it. either. Sounds screwy, Louie. This proposal is empty symbolism and won't heal our racial divide.
Yes, slavery was officially abolished, but I believe the years of Jim Crow and Black Code, followed by years of discrimination and segregation have continued to affect people today. It's not just the acts, it can be the mind set of people who still see certain people as servants.
I reflect back on President Reagan's apology to Japanese internees. It made sense, the generations that were directly effected were still with us. Slavery is a absolutely atrocious part of our history, but the generations that it effected are gone. An apology for something that dosen't exist anymore to people that never experienced it, from people that had nothing to do with it. either. Sounds screwy, Louie. This proposal is empty symbolism and won't heal our racial divide.
My husband is an 81 year old black man, and to say that he is presently not effected by slavery is simply not true. For the 37 years we have been together, he has talked about what it's like to picture those things happening to HIS ancestors - HIS people. The way they were taken from their homeland and enslaved. The way they were dehumanized. When people tell him to forget about it his response is "You want me to forget about MY history? Do you forget about yours?"

The realization of how his people were treated makes him angry. That anger burns inside of him because there is nothing that can be done about it. If he were to express that anger in violence he would be locked up. When he tries to express it in words, he is told to leave it in the past.

If you have not lived with those images in your mind, how can you know whether or not they effect someone? If you have not wondered what would have been different for you had your ancestors not been brought here against their will, what tribe you may have belonged to, what things you might have accomplished if unhindered, you cannot possibly say it has no effect.
I am human being first and foremost. When someone segregates themselves as "our people", that kind of alienates me. I have seen the images of beaten slaves with scars on their backs, the lynchings and it affects ME as human being. I am part Jewish, I have seen the pictures of vivisection and the horrible evil that people are capable of. It's childish almost to think an apology will change anything.
The end of my letter said that I realize it may not make a difference or crack the wall that divides us. I still felt the need to say it.
I am not sure, what is dividing us? Perhaps your husband should stop seeing this as about "HIS people", because that has a sorta polarizing tinge. We are all human, we see things trough lenses. But what about "My people"? Let's not do that.
I don't know what age you are, but I find it interesting that you can suggest to an 81 year old man what he should do. You have not lived with the day to day reminders of the past: The looks, the crossing to the other side of the street, the use of the N word. Reminders that no matter how many years have passed, some people still see him as inferior in every way. And yes, that makes him and me angry.

N
I was 15 years old in 1961. Lots of blacks in my high school. They were OK. Same as everyone else.

And in 1961, YOUR parents and other white people like them were being displaced in colleges as well as the workplace all over America?

Suuuuure.
His daddy and 30 other whites applied for a job and a black guy got the job because of aa. But before aa blacks never got the job. How was that fair?

So aa says companies have to have 12% of their staff black. Same as the population %

These guys want to go back to 100% white

No one is asking for 100% white.
AA was passed for a reason. Are you saying it's no longer needed? Are you saying it should have never been implemented?

Times have changed since the early 60s.

It is fucking white people who don't deserve it, and turning Americans against each other.

Its hardly "fucking white people" at all. White females hsve been and continue to be the primary beneficiaries of AA.

Slavery and discrimination has been a part of the human equation since the dawn of civilization, and maybe before that. You can name almost any ethic group or religion or country and you'll find at some point in history they were discriminated against. Some groups harsher and for longer periods of time, but nevertheless man's inhumanity to other men has been going on for a very long time. My own family has it's background in Ireland; about 150 years or so ago the Irish were discriminated against. Maybe not to the degree that African Americans are or were back in the day, but done is done. How far back in history do we go? hat about the treatment or american Indians, or the Japanese and other asians who were imprisoned in the WWII concentration camps? Jews have been discriminated against for 2 millenia, how about them?

Re an apology, if I believe I have said or done something that is discriminatory I will apologize for it and make restitution if I can. But I do not intend to apologize for what someone else has said or done, past or present. If the shoe was on the other foot and it was my parents, grandparents or ancestors were the victims of slavery or discrimination I might not be too pleased about it but I got my own life to live and family to take care of. Fuck with me or them and for sure we'll have a problem, but life is too short and too hard to fight yesterday's battles.

Last edited:
Yes, slavery was officially abolished, but I believe the years of Jim Crow and Black Code, followed by years of discrimination and segregation have continued to affect people today. It's not just the acts, it can be the mind set of people who still see certain people as servants.
My husband is an 81 year old black man, and to say that he is presently not effected by slavery is simply not true. For the 37 years we have been together, he has talked about what it's like to picture those things happening to HIS ancestors - HIS people. The way they were taken from their homeland and enslaved. The way they were dehumanized. When people tell him to forget about it his response is "You want me to forget about MY history? Do you forget about yours?"

The realization of how his people were treated makes him angry. That anger burns inside of him because there is nothing that can be done about it. If he were to express that anger in violence he would be locked up. When he tries to express it in words, he is told to leave it in the past.

If you have not lived with those images in your mind, how can you know whether or not they effect someone? If you have not wondered what would have been different for you had your ancestors not been brought here against their will, what tribe you may have belonged to, what things you might have accomplished if unhindered, you cannot possibly say it has no effect.
I am human being first and foremost. When someone segregates themselves as "our people", that kind of alienates me. I have seen the images of beaten slaves with scars on their backs, the lynchings and it affects ME as human being. I am part Jewish, I have seen the pictures of vivisection and the horrible evil that people are capable of. It's childish almost to think an apology will change anything.
The end of my letter said that I realize it may not make a difference or crack the wall that divides us. I still felt the need to say it.
I am not sure, what is dividing us? Perhaps your husband should stop seeing this as about "HIS people", because that has a sorta polarizing tinge. We are all human, we see things trough lenses. But what about "My people"? Let's not do that.
I don't know what age you are, but I find it interesting that you can suggest to an 81 year old man what he should do. You have not lived with the day to day reminders of the past: The looks, the crossing to the other side of the street, the use of the N word. Reminders that no matter how many years have passed, some people still see him as inferior in every way. And yes, that makes him and me angry.

Oh, be careful. That one loves to play the victim as well!

unhindered, you cannot possibly say it has no effect.[/QUOTE]
I am human being first and foremost. When someone segregates themselves as "our people", that kind of alienates me. I have seen the images of beaten slaves with scars on their backs, the lynchings and it affects ME as human being. I am part Jewish, I have seen the pictures of vivisection and the horrible evil that people are capable of. It's childish almost to think an apology will change anything.[/QUOTE]
The end of my letter said that I realize it may not make a difference or crack the wall that divides us. I still felt the need to say it.[/QUOTE]
I am not sure, what is dividing us? Perhaps your husband should stop seeing this as about "HIS people", because that has a sorta polarizing tinge. We are all human, we see things trough lenses. But what about "My people"? Let's not do that.[/QUOTE]
I don't know what age you are, but I find it interesting that you can suggest to an 81 year old man what he should do. You have not lived with the day to day reminders of the past: The looks, the crossing to the other side of the street, the use of the N word. Reminders that no matter how many years have passed, some people still see him as inferior in every way. And yes, that makes him and me angry.[/QUOTE]

Oh, be careful. That one loves to play the victim as well![/QUOTE]

You presume to know my life experiences? Your petty vindictive little ankle biting posts are a a reminder of how empty a person you seem to be.

unhindered, you cannot possibly say it has no effect.
I am human being first and foremost. When someone segregates themselves as "our people", that kind of alienates me. I have seen the images of beaten slaves with scars on their backs, the lynchings and it affects ME as human being. I am part Jewish, I have seen the pictures of vivisection and the horrible evil that people are capable of. It's childish almost to think an apology will change anything.[/QUOTE]
The end of my letter said that I realize it may not make a difference or crack the wall that divides us. I still felt the need to say it.[/QUOTE]
I am not sure, what is dividing us? Perhaps your husband should stop seeing this as about "HIS people", because that has a sorta polarizing tinge. We are all human, we see things trough lenses. But what about "My people"? Let's not do that.[/QUOTE]
I don't know what age you are, but I find it interesting that you can suggest to an 81 year old man what he should do. You have not lived with the day to day reminders of the past: The looks, the crossing to the other side of the street, the use of the N word. Reminders that no matter how many years have passed, some people still see him as inferior in every way. And yes, that makes him and me angry.[/QUOTE]

You presume to know my life experiences? ...... [/QUOTE]

This is why people making up 'stories ' to justify this or that prejudice doesn't work.

You repeat the same old "oh, woe is me!" BS ten times a day then claim to be an enigma? You can't have it both ways.

Maybe instead of either playing the victim or playing the racist shitbag, people could take personal responsibility, look at History honestly, and discuss the current reality rationally and reasonably?

You find that interesting. Do you. I am 60, and i have seen the wide range of social changes. I lived with blacks, they use the "n" word all the time. They gave me "looks" and treated whites in the area with disdain or whipping boys, because poor blacks believe somehow THAT will fix racism and teach all those evil honkies a lesson. I get it, I do. This cuts both ways. And, well, let me back up here. I wish you and husband the best.

This is why people making up 'stories ' to justify this or that prejudice doesn't work.

You repeat the same old "oh, woe is me!" BS ten times a day then claim to be an enigma? You can't have it both ways.

Maybe instead of either playing the victim or playing the racist shitbag, people could take personal responsibility, look at History honestly, and discuss the current reality rationally and reasonably?[/QUOTE]

I won't bother chasing my tail posting with you anymore, it's a waste of time. IF you think I am just making things up, ignore me. I won't argue my life experiences with an self righteous idiot anymore.

Hopefully they have mixed babies who will then just feel human
Or go to another school. I don't know why I didn't get into UofM. How many white kids don't get into these colleges because of AA? A very small number. But how many blacks who should have got hired didn't just because they are black? Lots. You seem to not care to fix that problem. I guess why should you care? You aren't black.

I think/hope Republicans end it. I want blacks to know definitively that conservatives and Republicans are much worse than liberals and Democrats.

1. If blacks get a 230 point bonus for black skin, the number is probably higher than you think.

2. AND this is just one small part of the larger issues. THe forces that drive that discrimination are universal in our society.

3. How many blacks not hired because black? IMO, few. The witch hunt to find any such shit is too strong. In my time in management, it was made clear that any accusation and you would be thrown under the bus so the upper management could cover their asses.

4. Any reasonable black should be able to see that such discrimination in their favor will blow up in their face someday.
Kennedy, Johnson, nixon, Carter, Reagan, Clinton Obama and Bush's disagreed with your feelings on aa.

But the only thing that matters is what Trump Ryan and McConnell think and can they get enough Republicans to go along.

Maybe it's time to end it.

This proves my point in my thread "I'm a Republican now". The Democrats didn't let blacks down. Republicans convinced blacks this is true so they wouldn't vote and it worked. Blacks let Democrats down. The corporate media kept showing blacks that white cops are still killing blacks. It's as if Steve bannon decides what news we discuss. Genius.

So end aa already. Give blacks a reason to show up for us

It is funny.

You site a long list of US presidents as evidence that AA is needed.

But other liberals, act as though AA, and all it's associated programs and efforts, has not really happened because outcomes are still not equal.
It would be nice if socially responsible companies made sure their hiring managers hired blacks.

Actually it is not. It is pissing off whites who see more qualified whites passed over, and it is creating an unhealthy sense of entitlement in some blacks.

I find it funny Trump asked blacks what do they have to lose? Now we know. Jobs. ....

Qualified blacks will continue to be hired. Your belief that American whites are A. in charge of everything and/or B. racist, is very outdated.

If Trump's immigration and trade polices are implemented, the situation for blacks should dramatically improve in short order, ie by the end of Trump's first term.
We already have a shortage of workers and wages aren't going up. You watch. They'll push for more immigration before they raise wages.

Notice Republicans are fighting with Trump now?

Last edited:
Or go to another school. I don't know why I didn't get into UofM. How many white kids don't get into these colleges because of AA? A very small number. But how many blacks who should have got hired didn't just because they are black? Lots. You seem to not care to fix that problem. I guess why should you care? You aren't black.

I think/hope Republicans end it. I want blacks to know definitively that conservatives and Republicans are much worse than liberals and Democrats.

1. If blacks get a 230 point bonus for black skin, the number is probably higher than you think.

2. AND this is just one small part of the larger issues. THe forces that drive that discrimination are universal in our society.

3. How many blacks not hired because black? IMO, few. The witch hunt to find any such shit is too strong. In my time in management, it was made clear that any accusation and you would be thrown under the bus so the upper management could cover their asses.

4. Any reasonable black should be able to see that such discrimination in their favor will blow up in their face someday.
Kennedy, Johnson, nixon, Carter, Reagan, Clinton Obama and Bush's disagreed with your feelings on aa.

But the only thing that matters is what Trump Ryan and McConnell think and can they get enough Republicans to go along.

Maybe it's time to end it.

This proves my point in my thread "I'm a Republican now". The Democrats didn't let blacks down. Republicans convinced blacks this is true so they wouldn't vote and it worked. Blacks let Democrats down. The corporate media kept showing blacks that white cops are still killing blacks. It's as if Steve bannon decides what news we discuss. Genius.

So end aa already. Give blacks a reason to show up for us

It is funny.

You site a long list of US presidents as evidence that AA is needed.

But other liberals, act as though AA, and all it's associated programs and efforts, has not really happened because outcomes are still not equal.
It would be nice if socially responsible companies made sure their hiring managers hired blacks.

Actually it is not. It is pissing off whites who see more qualified whites passed over, and it is creating an unhealthy sense of entitlement in some blacks.

I find it funny Trump asked blacks what do they have to lose? Now we know. Jobs. ....

Qualified blacks will continue to be hired. Your belief that American whites are A. in charge of everything and/or B. racist, is very outdated.

If Trump's immigration and trade polices are implemented, the situation for blacks should dramatically improve in short order, ie by the end of Trump's first term.
It's pissing you off? Think about how blacks feel. In fact I think the "more qualified white" thing is a myth. When it's a factory job that anyone can do you should have 12% of your workforce black. If not your company is passing up more qualified blacks for whites because most interviews aren't about who's more qualified it's who do I want to work with everyday. We all know who you'd rather work with so for some reason guys like you always decide the white is more qualified.

I asked you a question. Did you answer it? Do you think AA is no longer needed or should have never been implemented?

Maybe instead of either playing the victim or playing the racist shitbag, people could take personal responsibility, look at History honestly, and discuss the current reality rationally and reasonably?[/QUOTE]

I won't bother chasing my tail posting with you anymore, it's a waste of time. IF you think I am just making things up, ignore me. I won't argue my life experiences with an self righteous idiot anymore.[/QUOTE]
He is the worst person to communicate he either does it to be annoying or he's unable to answer questions clarify explain or just have a normal conversation. I put him on ignore but now just give him nothing of substance.

I refuse to be serious with someone who won't be honest and engaging. Just give him a funny when he says something to you

I won't bother chasing my tail posting with you anymore, it's a waste of time. IF you think I am just making things up, ignore me. I won't argue my life experiences with an self righteous idiot anymore.[/QUOTE]
He is the worst person to communicate he either does it to be annoying or he's unable to answer questions clarify explain or just have a normal conversation. I put him on ignore but now just give him nothing of substance.

I refuse to be serious with someone who won't be honest and engaging. Just give him a funny when he says something to you[/QUOTE]
Unokatre is a well meaning. He's deluded and can't see the facts for the trees. He wants to tell me he is knows better than my own personal experiences. And he mocks me and he UNDERSTANDS. HE pretends my experiences are nill. They offend him , but he's not in any position to question my experience, first hand experience is what history is all about. His blithe ignorance and contempt makes me wonder what he really is about.

AN APOLOGY TO AFRICAN AMERICANS – LONG OVERDUE

I couldn’t focus at work today. My mind kept taking me back to Charlottesville.

I kept seeing the hate in the eyes of the KKK, White Supremacists and Neo-Nazi protesters.

I kept hearing the voices of those who vowed to “take their country back” and rid it of all diversity and unity.

In my heart, I can find no other response but to apologize – for their hatred, for their violence, for their total ignorance of who you really are.

I am a white woman who has been married to a black man for 37 years.

I KNOW you are wonderful. I KNOW you are spiritual. I KNOW you are warm, loving and forgiving. I KNOW you deserve better. I KNOW you deserve an apology.

An apology from our nation, from our leaders and from every white person who has never spoken up against racism and the way you have been treated in this United States of America.

As one individual, I do apologize. Right here. Right now.

It may not help a lot. It may not change the course of history. It may not even make a crack in the wall that divides us. But still – I APOLOGIZE.

Delores Paulk
Here's what I'm sorry about to black people

I'm sorry so many whites lack empathy. Even the ones who don't think they are prejudice don't realize the real enemy is the man who btw isn't paying them enough either. But they tell whites it's blacks fault they're not doing better.

Truth is now most companies will probably continue to be diverse and Republicans won. If blacks didn't vote it's their fault. Blame Republicans but also blame yourselves.

The same people fucking with poor whites are fucking with poor blacks but the whites are mad at the blacks and AA.

This argument we're all having illustrates how the rich convince dumb whites to vote Republican.

But, blacks have been convinced the Democrats have let them down. The corporate media last year sold blacks the cops shooting unarmed blacks. They really discouraged blacks from voting. Steve bannon and Trump conned you dummies into thinking it didn't matter. Now you get to see and feel the difference.

Both sides need to wise up. Smart poor people get out of poverty before they have kids. Or they go to college first. But I'm sorry to all poor people born into poverty but at least you were born and the USA ain't the worst place to be stuck even if you're black. Join the army

DIR1WiaVAAA6JMw.jpg

I refuse to be serious with someone who won't be honest and engaging. Just give him a funny when he says something to you[/QUOTE]
Unokatre is a well meaning. He's deluded and can't see the facts for the trees. He wants to tell me he is knows better than my own personal experiences. And he mocks me and he UNDERSTANDS. HE pretends my experiences are nill. They offend him , but he's not in any position to question my experience, first hand experience is what history is all about. His blithe ignorance and contempt makes me wonder what he really is about.[/QUOTE]
It'd be like me trying to convince a coal minor to vote democratic. Not gonna happen.

I'm strictly talking about good hearted blacks who are trying. You're talking about ghetto street people. Two different conversations.

No, just keep in mind your prejudices and when you are interviewing a black and you don't give them the job don't tell us your prejudices didn't come into play. We know.

And it's blacks fault. They should have showed up in the last election and last two midterms the same way they showed up for Obama. Elections have consequences. Don't vote you don't matter.

Funny it's blm and they don't matter because if you don't vote you truly don't matter.

Blacks have the power.

If I (a liberal) were in charge only diverse companies would get contracts.

There's one of the many reasons you are not and never will be.

Some people have no sense of history.
Please explain. Start the conversation. Where how what am I wrong?

Anyone with a sense of history will recognize the predictable outcome when a would-be intelligentsia presumes to meddle as if they could construct some 'master plan' for human nature. From the fools of the Russian Revolution to the immoral idiot Woodrow Wilson and every other far-left ass who buys into the false notion that man can be perfected by controlling every variable of his life and placing him in a 'perfect' environment, the hubris that underlies the extreme left always leads to failure, disaster and death. During the Great Leap Forward, Mao wrought millions of deaths because he "knew" educated urban professionals, and the country as a whole, would benefit from their being relocated to farms. More recently in the US, students who would not otherwise be accepted to prestigious universities but for some artificial advancement based on an imposed categorization and associated assumptions all too often waste years of their lives and many resources whereas in a more appropriate setting they might have found success. Imagine a thriving private company located somewhere in the Midwest brought to ruin because, regardless of available and qualified candidates, it did not meet a quota of exactly the demands of some idiotic asshole who thought the circular reality of business should be forced into the square whole of 'knowing better.' There is a difference between criminalizing overt discrimination in hiring, and imposing some asinine form of central planning that is doomed to fail and drag down countless people with it.

Forum List

Back