An Apology to African Americans

I reflect back on President Reagan's apology to Japanese internees. It made sense, the generations that were directly effected were still with us. Slavery is a absolutely atrocious part of our history, but the generations that it effected are gone. An apology for something that dosen't exist anymore to people that never experienced it, from people that had nothing to do with it. either. Sounds screwy, Louie. This proposal is empty symbolism and won't heal our racial divide.

I KNOW you are wonderful. I KNOW you are spiritual. I KNOW you are warm, loving and forgiving. I KNOW you deserve better. I KNOW you deserve an apology.
Somebody's race does not make them wonderful, spiritual, warm, loving and forgiving.

Are you sure you really want to say that about these brothers?

cook_bros_000.jpg

Before you answer that take a look at this.

cook-victims.jpg

The 12 year old girl on the top right was a dear friend of mine. I heard what they did to her from one of the responding officers and a guy who worked for the M.E.

They kidnapped her and took her down into the dark cold creepy basement of an abandoned theater. Then they beat the crap out her, tortured her and raped her. They cut off her tits. They impaled her with a piece of rebar. Shoved it up her pussy and out her mouth. And the blood evidence indicates that she was still alive when they did all of that to her. Then they finished her off by flattening her head with a concrete block.

Do you still want to call them warm, loving and wonderful?
Yeah, I've head and seen lots of these types of "pick and choose" pics and videos. I still believe in my heart that African Americans as a people are misrepresented and stereotyped. I know far too many folks who are as I described to think otherwise.

I could find stories of scary individual white folks with no problem. However, going way back when Europeans invaded Africa, it can be said that an organized, vicious system of capitalism and colonialism puts white folks way ahead in the overall not so nice and not so spiritual category.
Thanks for being honest and admitting that you're an abhorrent piece of shit racist scumbag.
Insults do not offend me, nor do they change my mind.
Are you intelligent enough to comprehend the fact that you just outed yourself as a racist? Or not?
Obviously your definition of racist is different than mine.

I remember the McCarthy era, when accusations didn't need proof, the stigma attached did all this subtle psychological damage. Allegations of racism has replaced allegations of communism used by demagogues to control the narrative and silence critics. To use a quote from that same era: Have you no shame, no honor, sir?

I reflect back on President Reagan's apology to Japanese internees. It made sense, the generations that were directly effected were still with us. Slavery is a absolutely atrocious part of our history, but the generations that it effected are gone. An apology for something that dosen't exist anymore to people that never experienced it, from people that had nothing to do with it. either. Sounds screwy, Louie. This proposal is empty symbolism and won't heal our racial divide.
Yes, slavery was officially abolished, but I believe the years of Jim Crow and Black Code, followed by years of discrimination and segregation have continued to affect people today. It's not just the acts, it can be the mind set of people who still see certain people as servants.
My husband is an 81 year old black man, and to say that he is presently not effected by slavery is simply not true. For the 37 years we have been together, he has talked about what it's like to picture those things happening to HIS ancestors - HIS people. The way they were taken from their homeland and enslaved. The way they were dehumanized. When people tell him to forget about it his response is "You want me to forget about MY history? Do you forget about yours?"

The realization of how his people were treated makes him angry. That anger burns inside of him because there is nothing that can be done about it. If he were to express that anger in violence he would be locked up. When he tries to express it in words, he is told to leave it in the past.

If you have not lived with those images in your mind, how can you know whether or not they effect someone? If you have not wondered what would have been different for you had your ancestors not been brought here against their will, what tribe you may have belonged to, what things you might have accomplished if unhindered, you cannot possibly say it has no effect.

Why can't people forgive and get over the past? There is a level of absurdity to this that is almost comical.
I've read posts here from folks who feel they were hurt by Affirmative Action policies. It may have happened years ago, but they still bring it up and complain that their lives would have been different, if it weren't for AA. It's easy to tell other folks to forgive and forget, but we are not so good at doing it ourselves either.

The other thing is that individual grievances do not speak to the broader, institutional racism that exists today and affects people daily. If we do not live with and know people personally who are affected, it is easy to say that it's all over. Maybe it is in our minds, but not for some.
Whites are who is affected by racism - ie. the racism of affirmative action. It may be affirmative for blacks. It is negative for whites. And it's the biggest racism (by far,) against the largest number of people, in America
And harms retired whites too, by reduced social security $$.

Anyone who plans intelligently for retirement does not just count on social security.

"The so called "lazy blacks" as you refer to them, have not benefitted one iota at your expense. If they aren't working because "they don't want jobs" then who is getting the jobs?

By your own admission they are "too lazy" to show up for the jobs that you say are being "given to them".

You can't have it both ways.

You are scapegoating.
Lol - Nice try. There is no " both ways". AA gives them jobs; many blacks ignore the opportunity.

Who gets the jobs ? Some blacks do, and many go to nonwhite foreigners (Mexicans, Chinese, India) by AA.
Don't forget women benefitted the most from AA.

Yes. White women to be exact.

Yes, slavery was officially abolished, but I believe the years of Jim Crow and Black Code, followed by years of discrimination and segregation have continued to affect people today. It's not just the acts, it can be the mind set of people who still see certain people as servants.
My husband is an 81 year old black man, and to say that he is presently not effected by slavery is simply not true. For the 37 years we have been together, he has talked about what it's like to picture those things happening to HIS ancestors - HIS people. The way they were taken from their homeland and enslaved. The way they were dehumanized. When people tell him to forget about it his response is "You want me to forget about MY history? Do you forget about yours?"

The realization of how his people were treated makes him angry. That anger burns inside of him because there is nothing that can be done about it. If he were to express that anger in violence he would be locked up. When he tries to express it in words, he is told to leave it in the past.

If you have not lived with those images in your mind, how can you know whether or not they effect someone? If you have not wondered what would have been different for you had your ancestors not been brought here against their will, what tribe you may have belonged to, what things you might have accomplished if unhindered, you cannot possibly say it has no effect.
I am human being first and foremost. When someone segregates themselves as "our people", that kind of alienates me. I have seen the images of beaten slaves with scars on their backs, the lynchings and it affects ME as human being. I am part Jewish, I have seen the pictures of vivisection and the horrible evil that people are capable of. It's childish almost to think an apology will change anything.

I am human being first and foremost. When someone segregates themselves as "our people", that kind of alienates me. I have seen the images of beaten slaves with scars on their backs, the lynchings and it affects ME as human being. I am part Jewish, I have seen the pictures of vivisection and the horrible evil that people are capable of. It's childish almost to think an apology will change anything.
The end of my letter said that I realize it may not make a difference or crack the wall that divides us. I still felt the need to say it.

The end of my letter said that I realize it may not make a difference or crack the wall that divides us. I still felt the need to say it.
I am not sure, what is dividing us? Perhaps your husband should stop seeing this as about "HIS people", because that has a sorta polarizing tinge. We are all human, we see things trough lenses. But what about "My people"? Let's not do that.

AN APOLOGY TO AFRICAN AMERICANS – LONG OVERDUE

I couldn’t focus at work today. My mind kept taking me back to Charlottesville.

I kept seeing the hate in the eyes of the KKK, White Supremacists and Neo-Nazi protesters.

I kept hearing the voices of those who vowed to “take their country back” and rid it of all diversity and unity.

In my heart, I can find no other response but to apologize – for their hatred, for their violence, for their total ignorance of who you really are.

I am a white woman who has been married to a black man for 37 years.

I KNOW you are wonderful. I KNOW you are spiritual. I KNOW you are warm, loving and forgiving. I KNOW you deserve better. I KNOW you deserve an apology.

An apology from our nation, from our leaders and from every white person who has never spoken up against racism and the way you have been treated in this United States of America.

As one individual, I do apologize. Right here. Right now.

It may not help a lot. It may not change the course of history. It may not even make a crack in the wall that divides us. But still – I APOLOGIZE.

Delores Paulk

I'm not bothered by racism so you don't have to apologize to me

I am not sure, what is dividing us? Perhaps your husband should stop seeing this as about "HIS people", because that has a sorta polarizing tinge. We are all human, we see things trough lenses. But what about "My people"? Let's not do that.
Easy to say we are all human if you are not oppressed by other humans. What divides us is hatred, and I believe, misunderstanding of one another.

Easy to say we are all human if you are not oppressed by other humans. What divides us is hatred, and I believe, misunderstanding of one another.

Fuck u mean Oppressed? I'm not oppressed

I knew there was something wrong with you!

Poor dear, he is in denial.

Misunderstanding is what we humans are really good at. It cuts so many ways. But that's a given isn't it?

fact of the matter is , we ARE all human. It's got nothing to do about being easy to say. there are people who have had shitty existences, that you arn't aware of, and it wasnt because they were black and oppressed by whites, your stuck in one spectrum. It doesnt make everything you say false, but limited. You speak from your own personal experience

I knew there was something wrong with you!

I just wish everyone shut the fuck up about racism

Actually I have been hurt by blacks, and Hispanics , as well as white males. People can be total creeps. Forgiveness is a big step to getting beyond past wrongs, too. That comes from the heart, and nobody can browbeat someone, it's sincere. Racism has become a hollow bandwagon one size fits all way of bashing ALL whites. Let's be a little more sensitive and end that. Please.

Actually I have been hurt by blacks, and Hispanics , as well as white males. ......

....................................... :rolleyes:

THe study covered different issues, but the fact that the number for athletes and legacies are listed there does not change teh fact that the effective sat bonus for black skin was 230 points.

Indeed, even if you don't about it, it gives you a sense of the size of the problem when having black skin is 15 % more valuable than being a competitive athlete?

On a 1600 point scale, 160 points is ten percent. 230 points?That's a big hill for a poor white kid hoping for a scholarship to climb.

No dreams for you, stupid white kid. Go work in the mills. Oops, they are all closed. While, whatever.

Or go to another school. I don't know why I didn't get into UofM. How many white kids don't get into these colleges because of AA? A very small number. But how many blacks who should have got hired didn't just because they are black? Lots. You seem to not care to fix that problem. I guess why should you care? You aren't black.

I think/hope Republicans end it. I want blacks to know definitively that conservatives and Republicans are much worse than liberals and Democrats.

1. If blacks get a 230 point bonus for black skin, the number is probably higher than you think.

2. AND this is just one small part of the larger issues. THe forces that drive that discrimination are universal in our society.

3. How many blacks not hired because black? IMO, few. The witch hunt to find any such shit is too strong. In my time in management, it was made clear that any accusation and you would be thrown under the bus so the upper management could cover their asses.

4. Any reasonable black should be able to see that such discrimination in their favor will blow up in their face someday.
Kennedy, Johnson, nixon, Carter, Reagan, Clinton Obama and Bush's disagreed with your feelings on aa.

But the only thing that matters is what Trump Ryan and McConnell think and can they get enough Republicans to go along.

Maybe it's time to end it.

This proves my point in my thread "I'm a Republican now". The Democrats didn't let blacks down. Republicans convinced blacks this is true so they wouldn't vote and it worked. Blacks let Democrats down. The corporate media kept showing blacks that white cops are still killing blacks. It's as if Steve bannon decides what news we discuss. Genius.

So end aa already. Give blacks a reason to show up for us

It is funny.

You site a long list of US presidents as evidence that AA is needed.

But other liberals, act as though AA, and all it's associated programs and efforts, has not really happened because outcomes are still not equal.
It would be nice if socially responsible companies made sure their hiring managers hired blacks.

Actually it is not. It is pissing off whites who see more qualified whites passed over, and it is creating an unhealthy sense of entitlement in some blacks.

I find it funny Trump asked blacks what do they have to lose? Now we know. Jobs. ....

Qualified blacks will continue to be hired. Your belief that American whites are A. in charge of everything and/or B. racist, is very outdated.

If Trump's immigration and trade polices are implemented, the situation for blacks should dramatically improve in short order, ie by the end of Trump's first term.

Last edited:
Why can't people forgive and get over the past? There is a level of absurdity to this that is almost comical.
I've read posts here from folks who feel they were hurt by Affirmative Action policies. It may have happened years ago, but they still bring it up and complain that their lives would have been different, if it weren't for AA. It's easy to tell other folks to forgive and forget, but we are not so good at doing it ourselves either.

The other thing is that individual grievances do not speak to the broader, institutional racism that exists today and affects people daily. If we do not live with and know people personally who are affected, it is easy to say that it's all over. Maybe it is in our minds, but not for some.
Whites are who is affected by racism - ie. the racism of affirmative action. It may be affirmative for blacks. It is negative for whites. And it's the biggest racism (by far,) against the largest number of people, in America
And harms retired whites too, by reduced social security $$.
Blacks make up ten percent of the population so socially responsible companies have ten percent of their workforce black. Fair and right.

Small businesses don't have to but should

You are judging people and wanting others to judge people based on skin color.

What if blacks in general, are not applying for jobs in a specific field, for whatever reason? What happens to those poor guys? DO they have to hire every single black that applies regardless of qualifications?

Forum List

Back