An Admittedly Niave Question About the Affordable Health Care Act

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
I just learned that my grandson is quitting his job as a waiter at Applebees because they have cut his hours to 30 per week. They have done the same to all of their employees. No more than 30 hours per week for anyone. Of course, this is so that Applebees will not have to provide health insurance for its employees. It would appear that Applebees is not the only corporation that is doing this.

In times of severe unemployment throughout the nation, this is obviously a very bad trend.

Why didn't the folks who drafted the current health care legislation anticipate that this would happen, and have a provision in there that would close this loophole?

I just learned that my grandson is quitting his job as a waiter at Applebees because they have cut his hours to 30 per week. They have done the same to all of their employees. No more than 30 hours per week for anyone. Of course, this is so that Applebees will not have to provide health insurance for its employees. It would appear that Applebees is not the only corporation that is doing this.

In times of severe unemployment throughout the nation, this is obviously a very bad trend.

Why didn't the folks who drafted the current health care legislation anticipate that this would happen, and have a provision in there that would close this loophole?

I have heard several theories as to why this is. Some say that the whole obamacare plan was never supposed to pass, but if it did it wasn't supposed to survive a SCOTUS look. This was simply supposed to be an issue to increase the DNC voter base. There is also the relatively simple reason that the drafters of this have little to no business sense. Then there is the theory that it was done that way to crash the whole thing so that it can be replaced by single payer. Depends on who you believe.

Last edited:

They did know, they were told by the population, by business and corporations.

so yea, they created misery on purpose.

but hey, dems are for the poor, the loophole closure means he will be forced onto the aca, funded by others if he can't afford it, creating more misery, or the money will be borrowed, decreasing the value of the dollar, creating more misery, and thus forcing more people onto the aca, which will create more misery.

and guess what that will do?

All as planned

I have heard several theories as to why this is. Some say that the whole obamacare plan was never supposed to pass, but if it did it wasn't supposed to survive a SCOTUS look. This was simply supposed to be an issue to increase the DNC voter base. The is also the relatively simple reason that the drafters of this have little to no business sense. Then there is the theory that it was done that way to crash the whole thing so that it can be replaced by single payer. Depends on who you believe.

The idea that it's a stone to government owned and operated HC is true, clearly it's the next step to anyone that thinks ahead.

Many large corporations are cutting back employee hours to no more than 29 hours per week because the cost of Obamacare is too great for them to pay. Target for instance offered an employer based coverage to their employees--that many did not want to pay for--so they opted to just cut workers hours to no more than 29 hours per week--citing that their employees could get a better deal off of the Obamacare exchanges. THE BAD NEWS IS--that these employees are no longer working 40 hours per week--therefore taking a huge cut in their take-home pay--and now they are also forced to dish out for Obamacare.

IOW--just because your son got his hours cut--doesn't mean he doesn't have to sign up for Obamacare and pay for his own insurance. That is federal law.

But in answer to your question, there isn't one Democrat in the congress or senate that read this 3000 page bill before they signed off on it. Nancy Pelosi infamously stated that "you need to pass this bill--so you can see what is in it." And that's exactly what Democrats did. This was all about passing that "big freaking deal" as Joe Biden cited in Obama's ear when he signed the bill--and nothing more. As far as thinking--they were warned by corporations and business what would happen if Obamacare came into law--and they didn't give a dam. Plain and simple.

Last edited:

Because this bill isn't about helping people with their health care.
It's about Government controlling all of the health care system and controlling us.
Did you listen to Nancy Pelosi who thinks that it is a good thing that people work only 30 hours a week? "You have more time to be with your kids and family".
It is a lefty utopian ideology.
Look at France, Spain and Greece and their working hours for that answer. They all said the exact same thing that Pelosi said.

I have heard several theories as to why this is. Some say that the whole obamacare plan was never supposed to pass, but if it did it wasn't supposed to survive a SCOTUS look. This was simply supposed to be an issue to increase the DNC voter base. The is also the relatively simple reason that the drafters of this have little to no business sense. Then there is the theory that it was done that way to crash the whole thing so that it can be replaced by single payer. Depends on who you believe.

The idea that it's a stone to government owned and operated HC is true, clearly it's the next step to anyone that thinks ahead.

The theory in full goes like this:

It was designed to fail. When that failure becomes evident to all, and the people are fed up, the government will say:"see? We tried the capitalist way and it didn't work. We need to go with socialized medicine to rescue our once great healthcare system." Oh, then they will add: "it's the GOP's fault."

Last edited:
I'm shocked that a liberal hasn't come here to let us know that the employer mandate has been delayed so we're all wrong, even the OP.

Ignoring the very real business practice of anticipating and preparing for changes that are coming

I have heard several theories as to why this is. Some say that the whole obamacare plan was never supposed to pass, but if it did it wasn't supposed to survive a SCOTUS look. This was simply supposed to be an issue to increase the DNC voter base. There is also the relatively simple reason that the drafters of this have little to no business sense. Then there is the theory that it was done that way to crash the whole thing so that it can be replaced by single payer. Depends on who you believe.
If it was not supposed to pass, then why was there all the arm twisting, back room double-dealing and overt bribery taking place, to get the votes for it to pass?

Far, far more plausible is that it was designed to fail, with those who created the failure riding in to save the day with totally socialized medicine.

Those who created this law have zero (0) understanding of the dynamic nature of business, and how businesses will react based on various stimuli. This lack of understanding pervades this administration, which has consistently and aggressively created and exacerbated a hostile business environment.

They create this hostile business environment, and then wonder why business is far less willing to take the risks needed to build and sustain a stronger economy. Astonishing.

Those who created this law have zero (0) understanding of the dynamic nature of business, and how businesses will react based on various stimuli. This lack of understanding pervades this administration, which has consistently and aggressively created and exacerbated a hostile business environment.

They create this hostile business environment, and then wonder why business is far less willing to take the risks needed to build and sustain a stronger economy. Astonishing.

They know and understand what they are doing. They simply don't care.

Their hostility to a healthy business environment is only one aspect of their powerlust. They want it all, no matter whether freedom gets crushed and regardless of whose lives they ruin.

Last edited:
The dems knew the law would stand up to SCOTUS, threw corporations a bone about the thirty hours, and when they take it all again, they will remove that from the bill, meaning that employers will have to offer everyone who works more than 15 hours health care.

Why do people think this has anything to do with ObamaCare? Nothing new here. Same thing has been happening ever since the laws were passed that required employers to give benefits to full time employees.

The dems knew the law would stand up to SCOTUS, threw corporations a bone about the thirty hours, and when they take it all again, they will remove that from the bill, meaning that employers will have to offer everyone who works more than 15 hours health care.
Who needs to take it all again?

Why doesn't your Dear Emperor just declare the 30-hour rule null and void, just like he has done for just about every other provision that does him political harm?

Why do people think this has anything to do with ObamaCare? Nothing new here. Same thing has been happening ever since the laws were passed that required employers to give benefits to full time employees.

Yep. People don't like being dictated to. Imagine the fuck out of that!

They forge ahead without much thoughts on results. They believe that government can and will solve all of our problems. If companies cut back on hours, it isn't to stay in business, it's because of greed. And expect laws to come along dictating how many hours employees will work and their wages. One step at a time. And the leftist loons will goosestep right along behind it while the media sings the tune and Rope a Dopes the population into more and more government control, failing to mention that government IS the problem.

Forum List

Back