America's Christian Heritage - Great Quotes

style%202%20take%202.jpg

"
"better proof of reverence for that holy name wd be not to profane it by making it a topic of legisl. discussion, & particularly by making his religion the means of abridging the natural and equal rights of all men, in defiance of his own declaration that his Kingdom was not of this world"
-- James Madison; from 'Detached Memoranda'

"When a Religion is good, I conceive that it will support itself; and, when it cannot support itself, and God does not take care to support, so that its Professors are oblig'd to call for the help of the Civil Power, it is a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one."
-- Benjamin Franklin; from letter to Richard Price (October 9, 1780)

"I was glad to find in your book a formal contradition, at length, of the judiciary usurpation of legislative powers; for such the judges have usurped in their repeated decisions, that Christianity is a part of the common law. The proof of the contrary, which you have adduced, is incontrovertible; to wit, that the common law existed while the Anglo-Saxons were yet Pagans, at a time when they had never yet heard the name of Christ pronounced, or knew that such a character had ever existed."
-- Thomas Jefferson; from letter to John Cartwright (June 5, 1824)

"If they are good workmen, they may be from Asia, Africa or Europe; they may be Mahometans, Jews, Christians of any sect, or they may be Atheists"
-- George Washington, to Tench Tighman (March 24, 1784) [when asked what type of workman to get for Mount Vernon]

"If we did a good act merely from the love of God and a belief that it is pleasing to Him, whence arises the morality of the Atheist? It is idle to say, as some do, that no such being exists... Diderot, D'Alembert, D'Holbach, Condorcet, are known to have been among the most virtuous of men. Their virtue, then, must have had some other foundation than the love of God."
-- Thomas Jefferson; from letter to Thomas Law (June 13, 1814)

Jeremiah -

Thanks for the great posts. Sometimes, we lose sight of the forest. It's nice to have a touchstone to return to.

Have a great day!

In his 1787 Notes on the State of Virginia, Jefferson stated:
“ Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth. ...

(April 11, 1823), Jefferson wrote, "And the day will come, when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His Father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva, in the brain of Jupiter."[

The Treaty of Tripoli (Treaty of Peace and Friendship between the United States of America and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli of Barbary) was the first treaty concluded between the United States of America and Tripolitania, signed at Tripoli on November 4, 1796, and at Algiers (for a third-party witness) on January 3, 1797. It was submitted to the Senate by President John Adams, receiving ratification unanimously from the U.S. Senate on June 7, 1797, and signed by Adams, taking effect as the law of the land on June 10, 1797.

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims];

The whole history of these books [the Gospels] is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills.
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Adams, January 24, 1814

35 Founding Father Quotes Conservative Christians Will Hate

These are hardly the words of men who allegedly believed that America should be a Christian nation governed by the Bible as conservatives constantly claim. On the contrary, the great majority of the Founders believed strongly in separation of church and state. So keep in mind that this country has survived for over two centuries under the principle of separation and it is only now when conservatives are attempting to destroy that very cornerstone that we find America becoming ever more divided and more politically charged than ever before. If this right-wing faction has their way, America as we know it will cease to exist and the freedoms we have enjoyed because of the Constitution will erode.

35 Founding Father Quotes Conservative Christians Will Hate Addicting Info

Jeremiah -

Thanks for the great posts. Sometimes, we lose sight of the forest. It's nice to have a touchstone to return to.

Have a great day!

Thank you very much. I think it is good to revisit history and find out what our founding fathers really said vs. what revisionists "claim they said"! Quite a stark difference, isn't it?

I really enjoyed doing this thread. Sometimes I can get carried away and post these type maxims for hours. With Scripture I could go on for days! When you are truly enjoying what you are doing you lose track of time. Thank you for your comment, Spare_change!

35 Founding Father Quotes Conservative Christians Will Hate

These are hardly the words of men who allegedly believed that America should be a Christian nation governed by the Bible as conservatives constantly claim. On the contrary, the great majority of the Founders believed strongly in separation of church and state. So keep in mind that this country has survived for over two centuries under the principle of separation and it is only now when conservatives are attempting to destroy that very cornerstone that we find America becoming ever more divided and more politically charged than ever before. If this right-wing faction has their way, America as we know it will cease to exist and the freedoms we have enjoyed because of the Constitution will erode.

35 Founding Father Quotes Conservative Christians Will Hate Addicting Info

C'mon man, you can do better than this .... a liberal hit piece that relies on misinformation, and removal of context, in order to arrive at a predetermined conclusion.

At least, give us something intellectually honest.

The whole history of these books [the Gospels] is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills.

Jefferson was a deist - that is, he believed in God, but he didn't believe in the 'miracles' described in the Bible. The quote you show is a result of a question from John Adams during his second term campaign.

"About his first Jesus book, "The Philosophy of Jesus," Jefferson wrote: "It is a document in proof that I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus, very different from the Platonists, who call me infidel and themselves Christians." In a separate letter, he asserted again the authenticity of his faith: "I am a Christian, in the only sense he wished any one to be; sincerely attached to his doctrines, in preference to all others; ascribing to himself every human excellence; & believing he never claimed any other."

Read more at Beliefnet Presents Separating Diamonds from the Dunghill Founding Faith Steven Waldman - Beliefnet.com

You are being intellectually dishonest to remove the quote from context and try to use it to, somehow, portray as a non-believer.

LOL - a fully discredited prevarication by secular activists.

Instead of simply regurgitating political pap, you might want to check out the veracity of your posts.

Abraham Lincoln was a Christian. So was Thomas Jefferson. These maxims he is using are propaganda. They are not true. I saw one recently that was claiming that Martin Luther King Jr. was attending a communist school. This is not true. Martin Luther King Jr. was very much against Communism and were he alive today he would be on the front lines rebuking Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton for what they are doing. Martin Luther King Jr. was against Communism 100%.
Martin Luther King Jr. was a Christian man and was against Communism and preached against it. Strongly.

Jefferson was a deist - that is, he believed in God, but he didn't believe in the 'miracles' described in the Bible. The quote you show is a result of a question from John Adams during his second term campaign.

"About his first Jesus book, "The Philosophy of Jesus," Jefferson wrote: "It is a document in proof that I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus, very different from the Platonists, who call me infidel and themselves Christians." In a separate letter, he asserted again the authenticity of his faith: "I am a Christian, in the only sense he wished any one to be; sincerely attached to his doctrines, in preference to all others; ascribing to himself every human excellence; & believing he never claimed any other."

Read more at Beliefnet Presents Separating Diamonds from the Dunghill Founding Faith Steven Waldman - Beliefnet.com

You are being intellectually dishonest to remove the quote from context and try to use it to, somehow, portray as a non-believer.

In spite of right-wing Christian attempts to rewrite history to make Jefferson into a Christian, little about his philosophy resembles that of Christianity. Although Jefferson in the Declaration of Independence wrote of the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God, there exists nothing in the Declaration about Christianity.

Thomas Jefferson quotes

Forum List

Back