Americans willing to fund healthcare reform: poll

From your source,

The telephone survey of 3,003 U.S. adults conducted by Thomson Reuters found 63 percent willing to pay for healthcare reform, though most also said they are happy with their own doctors, insurance plans and out-of-pocket costs.
However, only 35 percent of those surveyed said President Barack Obama's reform agenda and the debate in Congress will lead to better health service, while 41 percent said they would expect it to lead to lower costs.
"There's skepticism that the government can deliver value," said Gary Pickens,

35 percent of independents and 12 percent of Republicans expected the reforms to drive down costs.

Not a very good poll for the government healthcare reform.

Last edited:
To me, more I think about the reform, simpler it gets. Congress could pass tomorrow a bill to reform the health care, they could cut Medicare budget, run deficit… They already operate in the red and are going broke. But the Democrats are trying for a socialized big brother putsch. They don't want health care reform. They want control. They want the pursestrings of virtually every citizen. That would guarantee their nanny state.

Ame®icano;1573619 said:
To me, more I think about the reform, simpler it gets. Congress could pass tomorrow a bill to reform the health care, they could cut Medicare budget, run deficit… They already operate in the red and are going broke. But the Democrats are trying for a socialized big brother putsch. They don't want health care reform. They want control. They want the pursestrings of virtually every citizen. That would guarantee their nanny state.

You're entirely correct. The government doesn't simply want health care reform. They want total control over your life. They are doing everything in their power to get that control too. It's what happens when people don't keep a close eye on their government and decide they want somebody to take care of them rather than to take personal responsibility for their own lives. We've reelected idiots year after year to congress and this is what we're getting for our lack of attention. Nobody to blame except for ourselves. Just like a computer - garbage in, garbage out.

Ame®icano;1573619 said:

You're entirely correct. The government doesn't simply want health care reform. They want total control over your life. They are doing everything in their power to get that control too. It's what happens when people don't keep a close eye on their government and decide they want somebody to take care of them rather than to take personal responsibility for their own lives. We've reelected idiots year after year to congress and this is what we're getting for our lack of attention. Nobody to blame except for ourselves. Just like a computer - garbage in, garbage out.

Your right, the government wants to get more involved with everyone's life, and this is only the beginning. Remember they want to tax sugar products, and all syn products. The people who will be hurt the most will be the ones that can least afford to pay

Despite opposition from more than 50 health groups, the Finance Committee approved an amendment Wednesday allowing employers to vary premiums by up to 50 percent to reward people who lead healthy lifestyles.

Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) and Sen. Tom Carper (D-Del.) described their amendment as a common-sense measure aimed at providing a financial incentive for people to change unhealthy behaviors.

“Weight gain and unhealthy lifestyles that focus on smoking and lack of exercise have sky-rocketed our healthcare costs," Ensign said in a statement. "These costs could be lowered by focusing on what makes us healthy - through weight loss programs, smoking cessation and preventive care. Voluntary employee participation in these areas should naturally be reflected in lower healthcare costs.”

But opponents – which included four Democratic senators and groups such as the American Cancer Society, American Heart Association and the AFL-CIO – said it could allow insurers and self-insured businesses to continue to base coverage decisions on preexisting conditions, which the underlying bill would prohibit.
UPDATED: People with "healthy lifestyles" to see bigger reward - Live Pulse - POLITICO.com

Last edited:
I sure hope that those who see the existing bills as some sort of reform are not planning on celebrating anything when it passes? You do understand that this bill is in for very long and protracted court fight in many many states should even makee it that far. In fact democrats in congress are well aware of the shakey constitutional ground the mandates within the bill stand on and are expecting a protracted legal battle after it's passge.

The elephant in the room is the Constitution. As every civics class once taught, the federal government is a government of limited, enumerated powers, with the states retaining broad regulatory authority. As James Madison explained in the Federalist Papers: "n the first place it is to be remembered that the general government is not to be charged with the whole power of making and administering laws. Its jurisdiction is limited to certain enumerated objects." Congress, in other words, cannot regulate simply because it sees a problem to be fixed. Federal law must be grounded in one of the specific grants of authority found in the Constitution.

These are mostly found in Article I, Section 8, which among other things gives Congress the power to tax, borrow and spend money, raise and support armies, declare war, establish post offices and regulate commerce. It is the authority to regulate foreign and interstate commerce that—in one way or another—supports most of the elaborate federal regulatory system. If the federal government has any right to reform, revise or remake the American health-care system, it must be found in this all-important provision. This is especially true of any mandate that every American obtain health-care insurance or face a penalty.

David B. Rivkin Jr. and Lee A. Casey: Mandatory Insurance Is Unconstitutional - WSJ.com

If the individual mandate were found to be unconstitutional, the health care overhaul as it is now structured by many committees in Congress would almost certainly collapse.
A Constitutional Debate Over a Health Care Mandate - Prescriptions Blog - NYTimes.com

Several states my own among them have state constitutional amendments that will be on next years ballot that will directly contradict the new healthcare bills mandates. So again you have another constitutional battle on States rights grounds.

The Healthcare Freedom Bill provides for two fundamental rights:
1. The right to spend your own money to seek out and receive health care services that are
otherwise legal.
2. The right to choose NOT to participate in any health care system, of any type.
http://azhealthcarefreedomact.com/PDF/summary.pdf

Further, the bill exempts groups from the tax penalty , again setting up another constitutional fight based on taxing one group of Americans and not another based on which ethnic group you happen to belong too.

So while healthcare reform is important and very much needed, I would not get my hopes up with this one even if it is signed into law.

This quote was in the article:

"There's skepticism that the government can deliver value," said Gary Pickens, chief research officer for Thomson Reuters' healthcare and science research business. Thomson Reuters is the parent company of global news agency Reuters.

NO KIDDING? Americans are "skeptical" of the federal government's ability to deliver--:lol:

Well why would they think like that?

1. Social security is bankrupt
2. Medicare is bankrupt
3. Medicade is bankrupt
4. The US postal service is in red ink--& according to Obama--"always in a mess."
5. The senate cafeteria is in red ink.
6. Our governments most recently created disaster--which in fact is ground zero for this current economic collapse--"Fannie-Freddie" in which our very incompetent federal government decided to co-sign our names to 50% of the mortgages in this country--while lowering lending requirements.

In truth--our Federal Government could not operate a lemonaid stand without driving it into bankrupsty.

$9-trillion-deficit.jpg

Forum List

Back