Americans ALL!!!

Thats okay Luissa I have a daughter who loves to do the same thing when it comes to hugging tree's. Here in Arizona though you have to have a love of the desert though so it would more or less translate to hugging rocks.
I come from the land of many pine trees I could not handle desert! And I have kind of hugged a rock but not on purpose!

And you just assume people are stupid and forgotten history or do you think just the good things minorities have done are worth mentioning ?
People spend quite a bit of time mentioning what they do wrong! Why do you have a problem with mentioning what they do right?

Don't you just love reading everything by Navy?

I really do! It's too bad more on the Republican side aren't like him. They wouldn't be seen as such nutters. He sees things very clearly and seems deeply honest, even when it goes against the ideaology of his own party. :clap2:

I really do! It's too bad more on the Republican side aren't like him. They wouldn't be seen as such nutters. He sees things very clearly and seems deeply honest, even when it goes against the ideaology of his own party. :clap2:

Yes, maybe he could teach a class!

His daughter should be proud to have him as her father!

People spend quite a bit of time mentioning what they do wrong! Why do you have a problem with mentioning what they do right?

Cause you act like it's a fricken miracle or something. It's token patronizing bullshit but you go ahead and tell everyone how even those black folks and muslims have done something good. Blacks in Austin would laugh your ass outta the room.

I hope no one minds if I throw something out here as well. I thought about posting this before and this thread seems most appropriate. I noticed early on someone mentioned religious freedom as well. The group that is hated most in this country, as studies have shown, are atheists. A fairly recent poll (within the last year) showed that a majority would vote for a muslim before an atheist. They also felt muslims were more patriotic than atheists. I'm not trying to disparage muslims, but simply putting it into context when you consider the current widespread attitude toward muslims in the U.S. Non-believers have also played an important role in U.S. history, and like African Americans have often been looked over in history books or at least short-changed. George H.W. Bush, when Vice-President of the United States was asked if he recognized the equality of atheists as citizens and responded:
No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.
They fight and die for our country too. Look up atheists in foxholes for more information on atheists in the military.

One story of a freethinker-not an atheist, but very critical of organized religion including Christianity- that has always struck me a bit tragic is Thomas Paine, whose image I use as my icon.

Thomas Paine came to America from England in 1774. His first published work in America was called "African Slavery in America" and condemned the practice of slavery as unjust and inhumane, making him one of America's earliest abolitoinists. Afterwards, he embraced the colonies arguments that they were being treated unfairly by England. Fighting broke out in 1775 between the colonies and England at Lexington and Concorde, and the air was full of tension. However, at this pont it was uncertain what the goal of the colonies would be. Many felt it would be enough to revolt and make their displeasure unknown and thus receive better treatment from England. But Paine went further, writing a pamphlet entitled "Common Sense" that sold 500,000 copies. (no mean feat in 1776). In this pamphlet, he declared that it was inevitable that the colonies should be independent from England and this moment should be seized. He stated that all the arguments for separation of England are based on common sense. Government was necessary evil that could only become safe when it was representative and altered by frequent elections, and ,for the first time, that the colonies should draw up a declaration of independence from England.

Though it cannot now be measured, the popularity of this pamphlet and its everyman approach was undoubtedly instrumental in inspring support for the revolution. Once the revolution was underway, Thomas Paine volunteered for the continental army. It was during the dark days when the success of the revolution seemed to be grave doubt that he began writing a series of pamphlets called The American Crisis. The first one was so moving to General Washington, that he had it read before the colonial soldiers preparing for the Battle of Trenton. It began:
THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.

In "The American Crisis" series, Paine also was the first to put forth that any new American nation should have a professional military rather than just a colonial militia.

Paine was visiting England when the French Revolution broke out. Seeing in it a call to liberty similar to the American revolution, he began writing in defense of the revolution in a work called "The Rights of Man". After the revolution, he was elected to the French national assembly and traveled to Paris to participate. However, staying true to his principles, he strongly opposed the beheading of Louis XVI without a trial. This angered Robespierre who had him imprisoned in 1793. In prison he published a book called "The Age of Reason" which celebrated enlightenment values but was harshly critical of Christianity and especially all forms of clergy. He narrowly escaped execution while in prison and was released after the fall of Robespierre, partly because of the efforts of the diplomatic efforts of James Monroe. He remained in France at first reportedly being held in high regard by Napoleon. But as Napoleon's ambition led him to assume dictatorial control, Paine rejected him, calling him "the completest charlatan who ever lived", and returned to America in 1803 at the personal invitation of Thomas Jefferson.

How was this patriot received at his return to America? Political partisanship was in full force when he arrived, and his friendship with Jefferson made him a target of the Federalists. Conservative religious elements quickly used "The Age of Reason" to declare him an atheist and attack him at every turn, despite his self-professed and oft evidenced deism. This label made him anathema to those in political circles. His friends and most of his supporters abandoned him. He died in 1809 at the age of 72. The most widely circulated obituary for this American patriot read only,
"He had lived long, did some good and much harm." Only six mourners came to his funeral, two of whom were black, most likely freedmen.

Only 6 men at great man's funeral. Later, a radical dug up his body and carried the bones to England with the intent to give him the hero's burial he deserved, but died in England before he could raise the money to bury him. He still had Paine's bones at the time, and no conclusive evidence as to what happened to them have ever been found.

It is truly regretable that true tolerance as practiced today seems to have a connotation of I will tolerate you as long as you think like me talk like me walk like me and so on. Funny the Founding Fathers did not see it that way and neither do I.

It is truly regretable that true tolerance as practiced today seems to have a connotation of I will tolerate you as long as you think like me talk like me walk like me and so on. Funny the Founding Fathers did not see it that way and neither do I.

You mean tolerance isn't " Hey I know a- (insert minority here) - who once did something great ? How fucking naive.

Cause you act like it's a fricken miracle or something. It's token patronizing bullshit but you go ahead and tell everyone how even those black folks and muslims have done something good. Blacks in Austin would laugh your ass outta the room.
How I am acting like it is miracle! I was just posting other african americans who had done good things. Might I remind you, you were the one who posted something about it being minority month like that was the only time we can talk about minorities that have made a difference. And where did I was 'EVEN' those black people have done something good.
Way to ruin something that was good and turn it into a shit fest!

You mean tolerance isn't " Hey I know a- (insert minority here) - who once did something great ? How fucking naive.

Some of my best friends...

Seriously, we owe a debt to all those that have served, in the military, in public service, regardless of race, gender, religion, and all that. I don't disagree an iota.

What is more than a tad annoying is that we should honor certain members, because of their race, gender, religion, and all that. Seems like some would like to make a point of certain members, while vilifying the whole as baby killers etc. I've more agreement with Black as Coal, he's consistent, even if I don't agree with him.

Some of my best friends...

Seriously, we owe a debt to all those that have served, in the military, in public service, regardless of race, gender, religion, and all that. I don't disagree an iota.

What is more than a tad annoying is that we should honor certain members, because of their race, gender, religion, and all that. Seems like some would like to make a point of certain members, while vilifying the whole as baby killers etc. I've more agreement with Black as Coal, he's consistent, even if I don't agree with him.

No shit---racism is also pointing out heroic sacrifices by color. It's patronizing bullshit.

Forum List

Back