American taste for soft toilet roll 'worse than driving Hummers'

How dare we want something soft to wipe our behinds...

Remind me not to shake this guys hand...

American taste for soft toilet roll 'worse than driving Hummers' | Environment | guardian.co.uk

The Guardian. Always trying to stir shit up. On the other hand...

More than 98% of the toilet roll sold in America comes from virgin forests, said Hershkowitz. In Europe and Latin America, up to 40% of toilet paper comes from recycled products.

...I wonder if this is true and, if so, why?

i'll tell you something....

there is NOTHING that i missed more, when living and traveling in Europe, than soft toilet tissue paper!

i'm serious, the stuff they have is like sandpaper! :eek:

you never know the true luxuries you have here, until you don't have them....

and TRUST ME, this is one, you don't want to do without!

having said all that....i promise to try to use less! :D

care

Lots of survivalist's are hoarding guns, ammo, food and water. I'm stocking up on toilet paper.
Yeahhhhhhhh, when the whole shithouse (pun intended) goes up in flames I'll have it made.

Interesting to note however that the biggest paper brand in Britain is...

Andrex (Kimberly-Clark Corporation)
Brand Description
Overview:
Today: Today, Andrex leads the UK toilet paper market. Besides tried-and-tested regular Andrex toilet tissue, the product comes in other varieties: Andrex Enriched with Aloe Vera (introduced in 2001, re-branded in 2005), and Andrex Moistened (launched in 2005). The Brand also offers a range of Andrex puppy products, including bean puppies, key rings and message cards.

Source: Company

Halifax Share Search Engine

...one that is marketed on the proposition of softness and has recently pushed brand extensions in exactly the area that the article claims Americans are so fond of.

Then again, it's not unusual for The Grauniad to try and manufacture a story that fits the editorial bias the paper has adhered to for so many years.

well were i work at the Post Office,it is only 1-PLY......brown fingertips are quite common ....next time when your carrier hands you your mail.....remember that i pointed this out to you.....

this is probably something that could be added to all those ''free the weed''/hemp threads out there...

but i bet ya that since countries are now making clothes and fabric out of hemp, along with paper products, that they could come up with a fabric soft, toilet paper that would not cut down any of our trees in the rain forrests....???

this is probably something that could be added to all those ''free the weed''/hemp threads out there...

but i bet ya that since countries are now making clothes and fabric out of hemp, along with paper products, that they could come up with a fabric soft, toilet paper that would not cut down any of our trees in the rain forrests....???

Accounding to this website the first TP on a roll was made from hemp

A.D. 1871. The earliest use in America of toilet paper in roll form, a United States patent issued to Seth Wheeler this year. [Toilet paper first seen in China A.D. 875.] The use of toilet paper did not progress rapidly, but by 1899 it was used universally. In 1940 there were consumed in the United States 300,000 tons of toilet paper

Accounding to this website the first TP on a roll was made from hemp

A.D. 1871. The earliest use in America of toilet paper in roll form, a United States patent issued to Seth Wheeler this year. [Toilet paper first seen in China A.D. 875.] The use of toilet paper did not progress rapidly, but by 1899 it was used universally. In 1940 there were consumed in the United States 300,000 tons of toilet paper

.. and what stinky times those were to! Oh yeah, such glorious odors!

You don't use hard wood for paper products when you can use pine that you grew for about five years...

You don't use hard wood for paper products when you can use pine that you grew for about five years...

In addition to the time issue, there's cost. The cheapest true hardwood is, I'm guessing, poplar(?), which is still massively more expensive in terms of board feet than pine. Why use something prohibitively expensive when what you're producing is, effectively, a commodity?

I switched to Charmin once. The kids backed the freakin' toilet up constantly because they used too much. I went back to Scott. Not as soft but at least they only back the toilet up once in awhile now. Just unplugged the powder room last night. Geesh, my kids need to eat more fruit.
any plummer will tell you never to use charmin! I don't like the soft stuff anyways!

Forum List

Back