American Music Awards ratings plunge 29 percent with politically charged show

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
More fools screaming less people watching. Good.

American Music Awards ratings plunge 29 percent with politically charged show

The politically charged 2018 American Music Awards produced dismal viewership, setting an all-time low rating for the annual special.

According to Variety, Tuesday night’s “American Music Awards” on ABC earned a disappointing 1.8 rating among the key demo of adults age 18-49 with 6.5 million total viewers, according to the Hollywood trade publication. The total was down 25 percent compared to its 2.4 demo rating in 2017.

The show – which aired on a Tuesday as opposed to the typical Sunday -- dropped approximately 29 percent in total viewers after drawing 9.2 million last year, the outlet reports.

During the low-rated show, Taylor Swift – who recently broke her longtime political silenceby slamming Republican Senate candidate Marsha Blackburn -- urged fans to vote in the upcoming midterm elections.

"This award and every single award given out tonight were voted on by the people," the 28-year-old popstar said while accepting the Artist of the Year award, Swift's third win of the night.

She continued: "And you know what else is voted on by the people is the midterm elections on Nov. 6. Get out and vote. I love you guys."

Comedian Billy Eichner called the upcoming midterms “the biggest election of our lifetime” and urged viewers to vote.

"Please grab your friends. Tell them to vote. If you believe in equality for women, for people of color, for the LGBTQ community. If you believe that climate change is real and that we need to do something about it, don't let anyone tell you your vote won't count," Eichner said.

The reason why I didn't watch is because there wasn't enough country music in the performance line up and that is if there even was any in the first place. I've read that Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood were supposed to perform at some point, but Taylor is currently focused on non country material and Carrie in my opinion has never once sounded country to begin with.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. With the show being a three hour long production, I don't believe that one country performance for each hour is asking for much.

Even in 2017 that was a pretty pathetic rating.

Did they announce in advance that politics would be front & center?

Forum List

Back