America is a different place than it was 75 years ago - it was relatively safe

OMG some people live in a world that never existed/

Repost: Oh the lost glory times, the times when women couldn't even vote, farther back blacks were bought and sold and lynched, and the poor with no social network went hungry or died from easily preventable illness, when gays had to hide so as not to be beaten or killed, when racism was rampant, lead poisoned the children, polio and flu killed, pollution poisoned the air and rivers and lakes killed wildlife, farming died in the dust, soup lines in the thirties. The glory days for sure. Back ally abortion for the poor who often died and doctors for the rich woman, third world poverty for many and golden castles for some, lung disease for workers with asbestos and coal, and no federal safety net for your savings as banks went dark, oh the glory days for sure.

This is Your Story - The Progressive Story of America. Pass It On.

75 years ago, we were free, safe, and (relative the the world) prosperous. Then the dark ages came with the "Civil Rights movement". Crime skyrocketed. The government started coercing people to discriminate (and calling it freedom) while being engaged in a slander campaign against white people. Our freedoms, safety, and middle-class started evaporating.

75 years ago, there were 7.8 murders per 100,000 people in the US. Last year, there were 4.9.

75 years ago, the unemployment rate was 14.9%. Now, it's 4.5%.

75 years ago, median income (in today's dollars) was $16,886.05. Today, it's $32,140.

Should I go on?

Seventy five years ago people in America walked the streets at night in major cities with few concerns...and left doors open all night.

Shoplifting was a minor problem and violence against Law Enforcement was nearly unheard of.

It was a friendlier time when you were more likely to be helped by your fellow American than hurt by them.

Today...we live in a totally different place. Danger is lurking everywhere. Theft and crime run rampant. Police are shot and killed for fun. The elderly are victimized as quickly as anyone else.....
Brazen Thief Steals Purse From Woman, 82, on Scooter at California Supermarket

Young people text and drive killing thousands each year......People cheat the system rampantly....

The ONE caveat, and an important one, is that Civil Rights are more equally spread among all Americans.
But at what cost? Did we trade a safe society for one that has everyone closer to equal?
Surely VERY few people actually would still support slavery and the majority are pleased with equality for all.
But again, at what price?

So, what exactly has changed?

That was during the Great Depression and the eve of WWII, fewer methods of transportation,and tens of millions fewer people. As population grows, crime increases exponentially.

Sometimes I long for the past.....a long gone past....

Right or wrong....it's just the vintage thing in me!:dunno:
. I loved going out to trick or treat for Halloween when we were kids, and being able to go without our parents, and being able to go just about anywhere we wanted to go without worrying about anything. We came back with bags of candy that lasted almost till the end of November.

Nice way to undermine your own argument by going back 75 friggin' years. The derisive leftist posts practically write themselves.

. I loved going out to trick or treat for Halloween when we were kids, and being able to go without our parents, and being able to go just about anywhere we wanted to go without worrying about anything. We came back with bags of candy that lasted almost till the end of November.
I wonder how many kids came up missing back then before Amber alerts?

51c70df228a2f.image.jpg

August 4 1948

75 years ago whites were getting jobs over more qualified Blacks. I know you miss those days. By now you would be CEO instead of head fry cook.

I don't believe that. Most whites will hire the person who'll make them the most money, regardless of race. Including 75 years ago. But, now, the government forces companies to hire blacks over more qualified whites.

If libtards lie about racism today, why should I believe what they say about racism 75 years ago?
What you believe is of zero interest to me.

Whites fought for their AA with a savage bloodthirst. Then they whined for years like bitches until AA for non whites was dismantled.
:bsflag:

I was just a little kid back in the early '50's . I helped my grandparents run a concession stand, sno cones, candy apples, etc. down at the pike in long beach when it was a huge Navy town. A lot of violence down there in the bars and back alleys. Whites, Blacks, didn't matter. Shore patrol truck always taking servicemen to the brig or the clinic to get patched up. Grandparents had a bar in north long beach too. Lots of fighting. Typical. There were no Blacks involved either. All young white guys. Nothing changes except now there's drugs involved, fancier weapons, upping the violence. My opinion anyway.

I agree.

A slower pace of life.... a gentler time.

I agree.

More Blacks being lynched and back alley abortions.

Seventy five years ago people in America walked the streets at night in major cities with few concerns...and left doors open all night.

Shoplifting was a minor problem and violence against Law Enforcement was nearly unheard of.

It was a friendlier time when you were more likely to be helped by your fellow American than hurt by them.

Today...we live in a totally different place. Danger is lurking everywhere. Theft and crime run rampant. Police are shot and killed for fun. The elderly are victimized as quickly as anyone else.....

Young people text and drive killing thousands each year......People cheat the system rampantly....

The ONE caveat, and an important one, is that Civil Rights are more equally spread among all Americans.
But at what cost? Did we trade a safe society for one that has everyone closer to equal?
Surely VERY few people actually would still support slavery and the majority are pleased with equality for all.

That was during the Great Depression and the eve of WWII, fewer methods of transportation,and tens of millions fewer people. As population grows, crime increases exponentially.
. Listen, poverty is never an excuse for violence or crime, but some people just can't get that through their skulls. We were dirt poor, and many I know were also poor back in the day, but we didn't sit around blaiming others for our poverty. We did something about it, and it was called working our way out of it. We failed at many things, and we're rejected many times, but we wouldn't stop. The government made it to dam easy to give up, blame others, and lay back on government programs thus creating a dependency that has lasted far to long in this country. This cuts across all lines of color these days, but of course that was the plan to equalize the situation in order to show that the struggle isn't just for one group any longer, but will affect all before it's all said and done. The problem with this though, is that if the government wants me to be poor in order to equal out with others who are poor, and this so they won't feel bad about it, then what if the one's I had to be equaled out with, then tried to squash me while I was down instead of helping me, and me helping them to rise back up together ??

Last edited:

. Listen, poverty is never excuse for violence or crime, but some people just can't get that through their skulls. We were dirt poor, and many I know were also poor back in the day, but we didn't sit around blaiming others for our poverty. We did something about it, and it was called working our way out of it. We failed at many things, and we're rejected many times, but we wouldn't stop. The government made it to dam easy to give up, blame others, and lay back on government programs thus creating a dependency that has lasted far to long in this country. This cuts across all lines of color these days, but of course that was the plan to equalize the situation in order to show that the struggle isn't just for one group any longer, but will affect all before it's all said and done.

The rise of urban areas, more impersonal than small towns, increased alienation among the populace. Thus, tougher to "rise out" of one's station in life.

I agree.

. Quit living in the past, because those Boogeymen are history. It's up to you now. The government can't hold your hand forever.

. Listen, poverty is never excuse for violence or crime, but some people just can't get that through their skulls. We were dirt poor, and many I know were also poor back in the day, but we didn't sit around blaiming others for our poverty. We did something about it, and it was called working our way out of it. We failed at many things, and we're rejected many times, but we wouldn't stop. The government made it to dam easy to give up, blame others, and lay back on government programs thus creating a dependency that has lasted far to long in this country. This cuts across all lines of color these days, but of course that was the plan to equalize the situation in order to show that the struggle isn't just for one group any longer, but will affect all before it's all said and done.

The rise of urban areas, more impersonal than small towns, increased alienation among the populace. Thus, tougher to "rise out" of one's station in life.
. That too.

75 years ago, we were free, safe, and (relative the the world) prosperous. Then the dark ages came with the "Civil Rights movement". Crime skyrocketed. The government started coercing people to discriminate (and calling it freedom) while being engaged in a slander campaign against white people. Our freedoms, safety, and middle-class started evaporating.

75 years ago, there were 7.8 murders per 100,000 people in the US. Last year, there were 4.9.

75 years ago, the unemployment rate was 14.9%. Now, it's 4.5%.

75 years ago, median income (in today's dollars) was $16,886.05. Today, it's $32,140.

Should I go on?

Clearly, you are stupid. I said said 75 years ago America was prosperous "relative to the rest of the world", not relative to now. It's interesting that technology has made us easily 100 times more productive, but income has only doubled. Too bad that your skull full of sh1t and can't draw any reasonable conclusions from that fact.

75 years ago, the murder rate was 5.9 per 100,000, according to Wikipedia. The same page gives 4.9 for 2015. I guess a big prison system and lots of security cameras is paying off. But, murder is only one measure of safety. 75 years ago, people proverbially didn't need to lock their doors. We had little security and few police. And, medical tech also holds down the current murder rate, more attempted killings, fewer deaths.

In 1900, 1.2 murders per 100K. In 1980, 10.2.

Poor whites did plenty of blaming.

Detroit race riot of 1943 - Wikipedia

I agree.

. Quit living in the past, because those Boogeymen are history. It's up to you now. The government can't hold your hand forever.
This thread is about the past idiot.

I doubt if there's more than a couple people here that can remember what happened 75 years ago anyway.

Forum List

Back